If You Were A Bangkok Taxi Driver...

juicyas

Do you think you'd make more than the reported average of 10000 a month?

Assuming you knew the roads, would you have a better strategy than the local drivers here? Half the time I get refused a 100b taxi fare I am amazed they won't take it and would rather look for another fare. I guess if they got 20 35b fares all in the same area (up and down Sukhumvit for example) they would be better off but still, what are the chances of that?

I've thought in the past 9-5 from the Si Lom MRT to immigration and back could be fairly lucrative if that was the only fare you took.

A driver i know said he rents his taxi car 800 baht/12 hours. I would think he should clear around the same for himself, otherwise I dont see the point doing it.

So, to answer, I think they make more than 10k/month.

Edited by tingtong

Assuming you knew the roads, would you have a better strategy than the local drivers here? Half the time I get refused a 100b taxi fare I am amazed they won't take it and would rather look for another fare. I guess if they got 20 35b fares all in the same area (up and down Sukhumvit for example) they would be better off but still, what are the chances of that?

I've thought in the past 9-5 from the Si Lom MRT to immigration and back could be fairly lucrative if that was the only fare you took.

If i was a Bangkok taxi driver, i would grow a rather deep moustache and purchase a pair of 99B silver mirrored ray ban copies. Being a taxi driver in Bangkok is not about the money its about the style. All the other taxi drivers would be jealous of the depth i could manage on my brown moustache.

"If You Were A Bangkok Taxi Driver..."?

I'll demand freebies to bar girls when travelling in the back seat with the punter of the night back to his hotel, in return not to grass 'em up to their (several) sponsors :o

I can't think of anything worse to be. Many of the 'songtiew' drivers in Khon Kaen tried it but prefer the relaxed easy life here.

I would know the Bangok streets betterthan the average driver.

I'm sure the average driver knows how to spell the name of the city too.

I can't think of anything worse to be. Many of the 'songtiew' drivers in Khon Kaen tried it but prefer the relaxed easy life here.

:o

driving a taxi is sure a nice way to generate some income.

(i would do it) but i think the majory on taxidrivers does not have the little business-sense needed, to create some serious income with the car.

refusing fares are very common. and thinking like "have to go back" ... things like this make them do desitions.

a common taxidriver will pefer to "hop arround in the city to get a customer" (drive empty until someone waves) instead of driving for 400 baht to Prathum ... and o the same on the way back (when the 400B already save in the pockets)

i met some very smart drivers .. knowing well sois and streets to bypass jams ...

but the majory (again) of taxidrivers are not that smart (well this is my opinion) or just prefer the easy live by hang arround and get enough cash pay for the car and the M-150 they need to keep awake ...

800 baht is normal price for the car .. and possible to make easy.

i know from a taxidriver i know a while ... a blue taxi cost 1600/day .. so 800 for half is matching ...

A driver i know said he rents his taxi car 800 baht/12 hours. I would think he should clear around the same for himself, otherwise I dont see the point doing it.

not forgetting to add in the fuel costs ..

sometimes it is not possible for a taxi drive to take you somewhere and make it back to where he has to hand his taxi over in time - and also think about where he has to drop you off , if it is in the middle of a traffic jam area at peak time its not a good fare , because he then has to get out of the jam and find a fare also.

taxi drivers that that feel the need to tap the accelerator in time to some inbuilt metronome are the ones that give me the sh1ts.

I know a taxi service owner who converted two new Camry's into taxis for him to drive personally -I guess he wasn't into golf or tennis-. Once thought of doing the same for a summer or just once in awhile just for grins with an true English speaking taxi service, perhaps also brushing up and conversing with customers in Spanish and Mandarin as well... but most advised me that that venture would end with me getting robbed or kidnapped for ransom.

Edited by Heng

I know a taxi service owner who converted two new Camry's into taxis for him to drive personally -I guess he wasn't into golf or tennis-. Once thought of doing the same for a summer or just once in awhile just for grins with an true English speaking taxi service, perhaps also brushing up and conversing with customers in Spanish and Mandarin as well... but most advised me that that venture would end with me getting robbed or kidnapped for ransom.

something ive noticed alot where they really miss out, is short journeys to shopping centers, like ill ask them to take me and i know it will only be about a 50 baht journey but they refuse cos its too short, but they could pick up someone else leaving the shopping centre. surely it would make sense to do that?

My uncle and his 25 yr old son drive a taxi operating 24/7 sharing the shifts. An average day yields about 1600-2000 in fares and then they get commissions averaging about 800-1000 baht per day from various 'fine establishments'. (normally the driver receives 200 baht per customer sent.) They never rip anyone off, rarely refuse a fare and if they do, they will say why.

This is good money for them, the petrol/ car costs do not exceed about 1000 baht per day.

Between the two of them not unusual to see more than 50,000 per month. Keep in mind that they own the vehicle and don't pay any 'protection money' where they work. Normally a driver has to pay around 200 per day to someone that 'looks after' their soi.

The drivers that refuse fares hunting for 'prey' more often than not don't really make alot of money and are quite simply lazy.

There are plenty of honest hard working drivers in bangkok, it's just that most of them don't pick up farang because of the language barrier.

If I were a BKK taxi driver I would be interested to know why the fare has not increased from a 35 baht start, considering that in 1996 octane 95 was about 11 baht per litre and is now hovering around the 30 baht mark, and not once in that time has there been a fare increase.

Taxi drivers have been shafted by the system and really work hard to make a living.

I have had my share of bad taxi drivers, but most of these guys are hard working men (and a few women) and they deserve a little more respect than TV can muster.

something ive noticed alot where they really miss out, is short journeys to shopping centers, like ill ask them to take me and i know it will only be about a 50 baht journey but they refuse cos its too short, but they could pick up someone else leaving the shopping centre. surely it would make sense to do that?

I hear ya, but why are you telling me?

:D

Assuming you knew the roads, would you have a better strategy than the local drivers here? Half the time I get refused a 100b taxi fare I am amazed they won't take it and would rather look for another fare.

May be you are a smart farang that's why they refused you. Like the scammers at the airport, they are looking for farangs-fresh off the boat to earn extra fares.

There are plenty of honest hard working drivers in bangkok, it's just that most of them don't pick up farang because of the language barrier.

If I am A Bangkok Taxi Driver, I would only pick up farangs, and refused to pick Thais because of the language barrier.

8 hour days or nights ,dont stitch people up and use the meter ,for sure ,i was taxi driver in uk ,if you're fair you get your own work for airport and the like ,in thailand i dont have any cab drivers numbers as they only think for the moment and rip you off

I can't think of anything worse to be.

A tuk tuk driver?????

Saying that i used to avoid tuk tuk's in bangkok,due to hardly ever getting offered a fair,or near locals price for a journey,but then theres sometimes a problem with wayward taxi drivers trying to bump up the fare.

Tuk tuk or taxi? :o

Zuki, dont even go there, the ae comes from the vowel, and is an exact translation of the written thai word, not the normal spelling of khen that wouldnt translate back into written thai, but you probably know that already,

its a bit like on nut and on nuch, which one is correct, my answer would be they are both correct, one is an exact translation, the other is a translation of how it would be spoken in regards to the final constonant.

however for now all i can do is wait for neeranam to put us both right.

i also agree with neeranam about knowing the streets, at first i thought they were trying to rip me off, then i realized they actually have no idea of where they are going at times, they are allright if they stick to the main roads, but they certainly dont know shortcuts etc. i now also understand sometimes its a face thing, they say they dont want to take you, because they actually dont know where the area is or how to get there.

Zuki, dont even go there, the ae comes from the vowel, and is an exact translation of the written thai word, not the normal spelling of khen that wouldnt translate back into written thai, but you probably know that already,

its a bit like on nut and on nuch, which one is correct, my answer would be they are both correct, one is an exact translation, the other is a translation of how it would be spoken in regards to the final constonant.

however for now all i can do is wait for neeranam to put us both right.

i also agree with neeranam about knowing the streets, at first i thought they were trying to rip me off, then i realized they actually have no idea of where they are going at times, they are allright if they stick to the main roads, but they certainly dont know shortcuts etc. i now also understand sometimes its a face thing, they say they dont want to take you, because they actually dont know where the area is or how to get there.

I'm missing something here :o

I would know the Bangok streets better than the average driver.

_________

Actually, the correct way to spell it is กรุงเทพมหานคร. But I'm sure you knew that.

I would know the Bangok streets better than the average driver.

_________

Actually, the correct way to spell it is กรุงเทพมหานคร. But I'm sure you knew that.

God, there's a big difference between a spelling misteak and a tyop.

If I were a BKK taxi driver I would be interested to know why the fare has not increased from a 35 baht start, considering that in 1996 octane 95 was about 11 baht per litre and is now hovering around the 30 baht mark, and not once in that time has there been a fare increase.

Taxi drivers have been shafted by the system and really work hard to make a living.

That's one way of looking at it.

Another is that the 35 baht flag drop was high to begin with. Also, since most modern taxis run on CNG (which is only 8.5 baht/kg, about 7.8 baht/liter effective), the price has really come down.

If you're in a private taxi that hasn't converted to NGV, that is simply poor planning and laziness on the driver's part. He can actually get a loan to install it if he'd spend the time to document his income. (Oh, and also pay tax on it...which is very minor at their income level.)

I don't have much sympathy for the poor BKK taxi driver. The only reason they can't make a very good living is that A) the margins are so high it attracts too much competition, and B ) there is too much "protection" money involved.

My brother in law was a BKK taxi driver before he gave it up because he got tired of paying more than 500 baht per day to the mafia.

I have had my share of bad taxi drivers, but most of these guys are hard working men (and a few women) and they deserve a little more respect than TV can muster.

Exactly!!!!

onzestan

Luckily I haven't had my share of bad ones. Only 1 in about 500 over the years.