One Earner....or Two Earners - In Your Family?

teacup

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like another 'I've got an educated successful wife and you don't thread to me.'

Well, here goes anyways. Personally, not accounting for the 2 maids and 3 gardeners at our 13 rai estate along the ChaoPhya River on the outskirts of the metropolis, there's no one working in my household. After my wife got her second PhD she took early retirement from work at the Carlyle Group. She's much more financially secure than I am. I have funds which I recieved from a family trust which I plan to use later on in life so that's my retirement money. I guess I am lucky to have come from a good family. Right now though I am living well with the money I recieved from stock options I recieved while working at Microsoft back in the early eighties. So, yes I have worked. Our home is paid off. It ain't much but it's home. The cars are paid off too. We don't have any real debt to speak of. He only have one other property in Thailand. We have a nice four bedroom place down in Phuket but right now our daughter,Nessy 'the neuro surgeon', is using it. I'm not bragging but my life is pretty good right now. Both my wife and myself have done our share for society despite coming from respectable backgrounds. We've worked as hard as anyone and we deserve the lives we have. I believe anyone can climb the ladder of wealth and prosperity but it seems most people are just too lazy to do it.

Sounds like another 'I've got an educated successful wife and you don't thread to me.'

Well, here goes anyways. Personally, not accounting for the 2 maids and 3 gardeners at our 13 rai estate along the ChaoPhya River on the outskirts of the metropolis, there's no one working in my household. After my wife got her second PhD she took early retirement from work at the Carlyle Group. She's much more financially secure than I am. I have funds which I recieved from a family trust which I plan to use later on in life so that's my retirement money. I guess I am lucky to have come from a good family. Right now though I am living well with the money I recieved from stock options I recieved while working at Microsoft back in the early eighties. So, yes I have worked. Our home is paid off. It ain't much but it's home. The cars are paid off too. We don't have any real debt to speak of. He only have one other property in Thailand. We have a nice four bedroom place down in Phuket but right now our daughter,Nessy 'the neuro surgeon', is using it. I'm not bragging but my life is pretty good right now. Both my wife and myself have done our share for society despite coming from respectable backgrounds. We've worked as hard as anyone and we deserve the lives we have. I believe anyone can climb the ladder of wealth and prosperity but it seems most people are just too lazy to do it.

And the topic is regarding two income eaners within a home.... Not how many estates one has, or how poor people are poor because they are lazy.

My wife and me run a business together and she has another one on the side. She works a lot and also takes good care of me. I would love to see her slowing down but she just likes what she does and gets paid fairly well for her side venture every month (150 - 200k) so I understand it. We are both still young and are lucky that we make so good money (I consider especially her lucky for making such good money on a second job in Thailand). She makes more money then I do.

We just work hard now and want to retire around 35 - 40 and maybe open a little hotel or do some art stuff.

Edited by freitag1

Have a farang in the neighborhood that fronted the start up funds for a restaraunt. It sits on around 2 Rai, it has PARKING (yeah simply amazing)

Any how, she is doing very well, by estamation I'd say over 50K or more a month. He is retired and travels back and forth to Patay often to go enjoy his sail boat. I imagine his money alone would be adequate for them.... But she wants to work, and so she does.

• 10 months later...

I have a very good income but i have never had a spouse in LOS who never insisted after a while on working.

The Thai women especially have a Terrific work ethic.

I would these days raise an eyebrow to any kept Thai woman regrdless of child situation who wasnt trying to raise extra pennies.

Fantastic enthusiasm that should be exported back to my lazy UK

After reading this is seems people can't figure out what to do unless the "Boss" is forcing them to do it.

Can one only be proud if one doesn't have enough money to live on?

Working hard seems more important than working smart or efficiently.

Is there no pleasure in life other than being someone else's "slave" for hire.

I am sympathetic with the majority who have no choice but to work, but it sounds like many of you have a choice but lack the initiative or imagination to envision a life free from "work".

I guess someone has to buy into the status-quo.

Spot on old chap. :o

name='nidge' date='2007-10-10 05:25:04' post='1586241' Once he starts to go to school then maybe we will consider opening a beauty salon for her just to keep her busy and stop boredom.

:o:D:D

my wife owns a dental practise that her ex left her so i dont need to work,just live off my huge pension,savings,property etc.

only one earner in my household.

My wife works harder than me just looking after the house and our baby. Once he starts to go to school then maybe we will consider opening a beauty salon for her just to keep her busy and stop boredom. But until then there is no need or time for her to work.

What she doesn't Len Phai? :o

is that OP the same wild & young Teacup we are seeing on the forum lately? :D is she married for 21 years now? :o

holllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly cowwwwwwwwwwwww :D

No….not moi

But …..the wild & young……is moi though :D

I know I know it’s so confusing!

Long story here, grandma ZAZA

But if it will keep those boys away from me, then it’s all good….yeah? :D

No time to explain……like I said above……loooooong story!! :D

I'm going to bed now, so nite nite :(

My wife works here in the US. It's a union job, pretty good pay with bennies. She is an Isaan girl with no advanced training. It's a good thing she does work since, after helping with the routine bills, she sends most of her remaining earnings to her mom and sister back on the farm and doesn't approach me for that type of support :o

Impressed at your high earning ability, you felt the need to let everyone know why your wife doesn't work, I felt the need to tell you we are impressed, its not rocket science.

If she is bored while you are out at work let me know I will pop round and keep her company :D

I don't earn a high salary, who said I do?

It ain't rocket science. More than enough doesn't mean a lot.

Sexual remarks about my wife are well out of order :o (especially from a Pattaya sexpat who thinks all Thai women are the same as their sex-toys).

Agreed well off side :D

is that OP the same wild & young Teacup we are seeing on the forum lately? :D is she married for 21 years now? :D

holllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly cowwwwwwwwwwwww :D

No….not moi

But …..the wild & young……is moi though :P

I know I know it's so confusing!

Long story here, grandma ZAZA

But if it will keep those boys away from me, then it's all good….yeah?

No time to explain……like I said above……loooooong story!!

I'm going to bed now, so nite nite

No problem. :D

I got the drift :( ; my guess is; you have a grandma named Teacup ;she either had passed away or has got Alzheimer; either ways' outcome; you are using her account now. :D

Is this the story? :o

i have so many business ideas that i would love to follow through on if i had the free time so it does kind of make me angry to see my wife's lack of financial ambition but i think that this is really a personality thing. some people want to conquer the world and others want to simply enjoy the "simple pleasures".

I would say it is not so much about the wife working but rather the demands made upon the Thai / western couple from those in the family who seem not to like work very much.

My missus takes care of the kid and the house but is looking for something to do when the kid starts school. I have no problem with that as it gives her her independence, financial and emotional. I don't see her earning anything substantial but if she can generate an income then good on her.

Gardening has been my given duty (pre-meditated by him, I think) since we first got married because he doesn't like doing them – allergy reason from pollens. Well I'm done with gardening, weeding, and those times of H2Oing! and now ready to have a gardener in thailand, hooray!....hard to be reading all those "trashy romance books" while weeding!

I agree we have to talk it out in details before the move. Infact we were supposed to be in Thailand at the beginning of last year, already sold the house and almost sold our car also, but due to constant disagreement mainly on the issue of who will be doing what in Thailand, or how to spend our times there without getting bored too quickly, or should we adopt a few kids and be in Thailand permanently?...well then things lead to another quite unpleasantly, so we have decided to put the action on hold.

I do love my job and am not really exactly burnt out yet (may be just a little) but would like to take sometime off, to rest and travel just to rejuvenate myself and see what else is out there in the world, and ofcourse an opportunity of seeing my family again. Then would love to get back to the states and work again in the same career field as before but this time will be on a part time basis, mostly to keep myself active, and have some "fun money" rather than out of necessity this time.

All these years in the states, I have a fulltime job, cook dinner, help with housework, do the shopping, and can still force myself to make mad passionate love to him when he wants. Now do you really think a man can do all of that and still stay sane? As a woman that worked my butt off throughout our marriage, this will be one heck of a vacation for me while I still have my sanity intact and I think I do deserve it!

I will have to reason with him again, may be on the bed this time :o

Thanks all so far for your input

Teacup

Teacup I think you need to have a long talk with your husband.

It sounds to me that he may be worrying about something other than the general expansion of your brain.

You are effectively taking him out of his homeland and into yours and if you are working maybe he sees this as a method of control and security for him. (perhaps subconsciously) You only have to read the many posts on this forum to see how often some thai women are more distant from their husbands here than overseas, more time with family, friends etc. Talk to him.

Thanks all so far for your input

Teacup

Teacup I think you need to have a long talk with your husband.

It sounds to me that he may be worrying about something other than the general expansion of your brain.

You are effectively taking him out of his homeland and into yours and if you are working maybe he sees this as a method of control and security for him. (perhaps subconsciously) You only have to read the many posts on this forum to see how often some thai women are more distant from their husbands here than overseas, more time with family, friends etc. Talk to him.

You do see that this post is over a year old. Do you think they are still together?

TH

I know in the west “most households” will need two earners just to survive.

But what about for many of you here in thailand …just a question

When you marry a thai girl/woman, do you expect your wife to go out and work – bringing home more bacon to help pay for household expenses, or… she should do it for her own personal growth and achievement/accomplishment in life, etc?…..

Or

you would be more happy for her to stay home - having children, sewing, cooking, cleaning, running a spotless home, refilling your beer glasses, fulfilling your every needs, wants, desires (physically and emotionally) etc. - while keeping herself looking fresh at all times!….due to a relative low wages she’s getting in return if she’s to work outside the house.

In your case, which one, why and why not?

The reason I’m asking is just that…

I’m a thai, married to my husband (American) and we’re planning to move back to Thailand soon (somewhat on a permanently basis). All these times in the states (over decades) I have been working and paying taxes & into my pension plans – little tired after awhile! I know that we won’t have any problem with the money and can live on our savings for the rest of our lives in thailand.

The problem is that…during our times in thailand I just want to “mostly” chill out, but he has diff idea of what I should be doing with my times there. He thinks I should be doing something more productive than just simply chilling out because I have “lots of potential in me”(whatever) , so don’t waste them even if you’re in Thailand or having enough money. Brain is a terrible thing to waste, I guess. He’s planning to be very busy also. I just don’t know if I can be that energizing bunny all the times and all the places!

Am I being too lazy, or my hubby just want me to be the best I can be because of my “many and hidden potential” :o , or is he just being unreasonale :D ?

3 earners in our family.

1) myself

2) my wife

3) our interest, rental property, bond and dividend income