Quality of life in thailand for expats

dazdaz

I've been giving some thought to the supposed improved quality of life for an expat living in Thailand compared to elsewhere.  

I'm curious what other people think of this? Especially those who've made the journey a long time ago.  Has the quality of your life drastically improved, or gone downhill since arriving in Thailand?

It can depend upon what you value as important.  Having clean laundary, a working train service and a huge salary etc are all great, but then that's not so good if the people are arrogrant and self centered as sharing your wealth won't be  much fun.

I've found the Thai's helpful, giving and open among other quality's which for me is more important than clean laundary, trains which run on time and more money than you know what to spend it on.

Regards

It depends on individual what they want in life, I supposed most of us who chose to settle down in Thailand would want something different than just bigger car and house.

Some people feel content by being satisfied with big car and house, but some don't.

As for me personally, I do feel that by staying in Thailand, it makes one more down to earth and you tend to appreciate everything more.  :o

I'm moving to Thailand next month with my Thai wife of 6 Years ( Marriage not her age :o )

and son of 5, leaving a life of stress and grief, mainly from the IT sector, and Uk in general.

Looking forward to doing very little for 6 months, and when the dust has settled, hope to help the wife run the family business and whatever else happens.

We'll be living near Kalasin, my son already has Certificate of Identity etc for schools. I'm 37 and hope to have a few answers to your question myself in a few years :D

btw this website is great!

Well said, thank you.  The rat race, seems to becoming even more of an issue.  People can't stop working, have less time, and are even more irritated.  Of course nowehere is perfect, and it would be nieve to say LOS was perfect, but it's the best #### place i've ever visited, and probably ever will visit, because of the beautiful scenery outside of BKK of course, but it's the people, the purity and friendliness really has me hooked.  The hook seems greater depending where you come from.  If you were from New York for example, and wanted a better life, the hook would be huge, because you would of seen how shallow life can be, once you think you've made it, in fact you've only made your grave a few years early.

I think the rat race can also be a perspecetive that people are moulded into, especially those who don't manage time very well and those who can't switch off from work mode to leisure mode.

And if your expat, then it means you'll most likely work in Bangkok, and won't be sipping pina coladas on Karong beach all day long, you'll be hard at work in an office, this is the mistake that a lot of people I think make.  This is the important difference, something that i've not really been able to find much information on the day to day living for a BKK expat. So when I say difference, I mean how do you cope with BKK, do you leave at the weekend, is there enough to do on a long term basis?

It's the strive for a great career so you can prepare for the future, but everyone seems to forget the present except the Thai's, this is something i've noticed.  Just living a quiet life, day by day, taking things as they come.  And yet we have management meetings to plan the next 5 to 10 years etc, you can quite easily forget to focus on the day to day events which are more important than things that may not happen.  The high stress, high stakes, high career, there comes a point when it becomes a waste of time and effort if you can't get that balance going.

Car and house don't mean much to me.  Those with cars i've noticed spend most of their driving around, going nowhere fast, what's the point?  House does'nt mean so much, something comfortable, the grand palace does'nt matter.

Regards  :o

Once you have somewhere to live, a reliable means of transport and enough income to live in whatever style suits you, then lie back and enjoy Thailand, get off the beaten track, there is plenty to see and do.

Most important thing is good health!! Failing that a damned good health insurance and that is not cheap.

If you don't have the skills to make yourself easily employable or the bank roll to do your own thing, Thailand can be cruel and quality of life poor. Just ask a few English teachers.

This is not only in Thailand, its in every country. I guess you still need to have some money to live comfortably, but of course the amount of money will depend on how much and what will make you feel happy.

Well working in Bangkok is definitely less stressful compared to back home, and your colleagues can be helpful in a truthful way (without politics etc). But then again, that's only my personal experience. work on weekdays and enjoy  the weekends... there are so many interesting things to see.... or get involve in some volunteery job... em.. talking abuot that.. anyone has any suggestion on that.... ?

At the end of the day, Thailand shows you what life can be even though you don't have a big car and a grand palace to live it.  :o

It's the strive for a great career so you can prepare for the future, but everyone seems to forget the present except the Thai's, this is something i've noticed.

I like that! taht is soooooooooo true......

Qestion to those with kids, do you feel that your children will have a cool childhood in thailand compared to back home? Since most kids back home will be playing with play station these days... don't think so that's a memorable childhood hey? I think kids growing up here will have a wider perpestive about life overall.....

Qestion to those with kids, do you feel that your children will have a cool childhood in thailand compared to back home? Since most kids back home will be playing with play station these days... don't think so that's a memorable childhood hey? I think kids growing up here will have a wider perpestive about life overall.....

We have to 2 boys live in Australia, they have everything a kid would want and spend most of their time given the chance playing the computer all day.

Yet when in Thailand visiting family have a great time playing with brother, sister kids.  Sure there life has improved depending how you judge it.

But the thing I noticed is they have losted a certian quiet

and respectfulness they once had.  Growing up in Thailand

kids are exposed to some of the harder things in life and have a greater acceptance of others and no hang ups about sex.

Kids here when they get angry sware or call the other boys gay or poofter. I tell them I don't like them to use theses words.  Maybe it's part of being a (butch) male here in Oz ?

Their swearing certainly imporved since being here not sure if from the school yard or their mother. Hmmmmmmmm

I couldn't see that happening with a thai student or  am I wrong ?

Suppose it does not matter where you live, it's what you make of it and if you take the time to enjoy that matters.

Bintang

• 1 year later...

I find kids arrogant.

I don't like them.

Yet when in LOS *outside of BKK at least*, I couldn't help but love the buggers. They were wonderful, respectful, thoughtful, and gracious little runts, capable of loving, trusting, and being loved and trusted.

Trying to find that in the machismo of Central america, or in the blindness of europeans (so heavily influenced by the hiphop culture) is like finding a needle in a haystack.

The trappings of wealth I left behind in 2001, prior to moving to LOS, I miss not one iota. My quality of life in LOS was simple, predictable, and for all that, exactly what I sought of life.

Day by day, we live and we watch the world go by, sitting here under this blue sky.

I never used to think that. Only after living in LOS. (during my time there, I coined that phrase).

Allow me to quote one of my pieces of writing.

From April 2002.

So finally a page may be turned.

The sun has started to descend slowly and the oppressive heat of mid-hot season, and a heat wave, wanes as the clear white walls of the National Library pick up the red, orange, golden hues of another invisible sunset. 

I pen these thoughts in my journal as I sit at my favorite sidewalk restaurant in Bangkok, on my favorite street in Bangkok, Sri Ayudaya, near my favorite guesthouse in Bangkok, Taewez. 

I walk up and down this street every day. I have done for the last month, and I did for 3 weeks before I went to Australia (OZ). The father and three daughters of a little drinks supply store on the corner greet me as I walk past. The little sidewalk vendors greet me as I amble on by. The mother, her sister, and the 4 girls who work at the hairdresser/sidewalk restaurant all say, "Sawa-dii Khrap!" in chorus and I return the greeting. If I don't stop, they usually ask me, " Gin Khao mai?" Am I going to eat? Maybe later, thanks. 

And most days I sit there from about 4 pm till after the sun goes down, watching the world go by. I've become rather adept at this particular skill. I love to watch everything unfolding; the drama's of the world, of the neighborhood. I used to do this back home sometimes. There are always so many things happening. Three or four boys play Targo (a form of Hackeysack, or Kick ball, played with a hard weaved ball form). This is a national past time in Thailand, with compulsory classes at school, and world championships. Thai usually wins these. The ladies of the Shanti Lodge and associated guesthouses might take a little break, and sit out on the street chatting. At my little restaurant, three of the girls, the katoey (lady-boy) and their mother sit near me. One of the girls is singing a Thai love ballad to the radio in the background. The katoey and his (her) little sister look at me and giggle, as the mamma smiles knowingly. She asks me, "Alloy mai?" Food good? 

"Hmm, chai, alloy mak, khap.” Yeah, delicious, thanks.

A few tuk-tuk’s (three wheeled motorized rickshaw-like vehicles) park nearby, the driver's taking a break. A smell of chili and basil leaves drifts across from another stall. This delicious smell usually makes people's eyes water and usually ends up with everybody, especially tourists, coughing incessantly. Yet every time that smell crosses somebody’s path, the orders for it increase. It was like that at the restaurant in Koh Chang. Good for business. 

A little boy parks his old rickety bicycle next to a little motor bike, and runs into an internet gaming shop, as I pour the last glass out of my bottle of Chang beer. 

Selima, Norway, the London city man in Chiang Saen. The military police, Heather, Dan, Patricia, the killer monkeys, the killer waterfall. Jungles and Ancient cities. Koh Chang... Koh Chang... Koh Chang. God I loved that time. I cannot mention all those I've met there. There were just way too many beautiful hearts and souls there. A lot of you are reading this right now. 

These last weeks, watching the world go by, I've seen a big sound and light show on the river, hosted by the governor of Bangkok, and many Thai dancers. Fireworks, celebrating the 220th anniversary of Bangkok as capital city, founded by King Rama iii. 

My days at the moment are usually filled with writing, and hanging around the guesthouse, helping when it gets a little busy, or chatting to the regulars, and long-term guests here. Most evenings are spent with my girlfriend, a computer programmer for Panasonic. Then, as every night, I take girlfriend back to her house, and I walk back to my guesthouse.

I pass by a man and his two daughters who come every evening at around six, and stay until about 2, serving food from his converted pick up truck. He's been there for about fifteen years, every night, on the same corner. He's seen a lot of the world go by. Every night he greets me and asks me to sit down. I've only ever sat down once there. No reason, but I just never was very hungry. Every night I stay up until I can't keep my eyes open, talking to Daeng, the night porter. We talk of Thai Culture, of which I shall be writing a separate article in the months to come. We speak of Thai Buddhism. We speak of Liverpool (he is a fan) and the World Cup. He grins whenever the subject arises as to why Holland is not in the World Cup this year. I want to cry. We speak of arsenal, about to win the chamionship. He wants to cry. 

Speaking of crying, I did something a few days ago, that I had not thought I would get round to doing this trip. I went about two hours out of Bangkok, and spent a night and day in Kanchaburi, to the west of here, near Burma. I did not see most of what this place has to offer, but I did go and see the sight of the famous Bridge over the River Kwai, where thousand upon thousands of prisoner’s of war, captured by the Japanese, were killed in multiple efforts to build a bridge. Some were murdered, some died of disease, malnutrition. I walked across the bridge. It was constructed twice during the war, and promptly destroyed by the Allies. After the war, a Japanese engineering firm rebuilt it. It was not so impressive, and quite touristy. Later in the day, as my friend Bow and I were sitting in a bar over the river, my head on her lap, I started and could not stop thinking about it, and when she wiped away tears off my cheeks, I realized I was crying for all the dead hearts and souls. 

Innumerable amounts of people died because of another’s belief system, cultural ideology.

To make a ######ing bridge. 

Dead. 

And then I started to think about situations the world over, starting of course with the bridge in Arnhem, in my country. Thousands of people on either side were killed in a failed bid by the Allies to gain control of the bridge, in one of the biggest allied operations. The bridge too far.

Thousands. Dead. For a bridge. 

And in Germany, and in Rwanda, and, and, and, and…. 

I can’t help but feel that there must be something severely wrong with us, if after so many decades, centuries, we are still massacring each other, and then retaliating, because of an ideology, or a belief system, or a cultural difference. What’s our mental damage? 

Where are our hearts? 

Songkran has started early this year. Instead of two or three days, this water festival that celebrates the Thai New Year is going to last two weeks. The world’s longest fountain, water fights, street parades, festivals, music, Bangkok is going all out to celebrate what will probably turn out to be the biggest and most memorable event this city has ever seen. It started at the weekend of the 6th of April, and will continue until about the 20th, celebrated right in the middle of the hot season; it marks the beginning of a New Year, time for reflection and change. And a chance to cool off in this mind boggling heat. 

I have another week here. I’ll see in the New Year, and then disappear off home on a Thai Airways flight, taking off above the smog, into that bright blue sky. . 

How to say goodbye to all of this, I have no idea. I’m sure that there are and shall continue to be many reflections gained; those are and will continue to be of invaluable importance to me. 

A well-traveled person once told me that it’s easy to forget about all the things you discover about yourself when you stop traveling and settle down. The guy is now working for some firm in London. 

Do you really forget? 

I don’t know the answers. I don’t even know the questions. Yet I feel as though I should never forget. 

Mai Pen Lai. We sit and we watch the world go by. It’s a fascinating world. It’s a great place to be. 

Next time you see me sitting in a bar somewhere, please remind me I don’t have to be doing anything. I don’t have to be speaking. Please remind me that I can just be. 

Remind me that I can just sit and watch the world go by. 

We’re all under this blue sky. 

I moved back to Thailand later that year, and in 2003 I moved to Kanchanaburi.

The tricky thing with this thread is that everyone has a different definition of quality of life. I cannot really comment much as I will not move to Thailand until next month. I have spent quite a lot of time there over the past couple of years, and my wife lived with me in Tokyo for a couple of years on my expat package prior to our pending move to Thailand, and I can comment a bit about her “adjustment” to life back in Thailand.

Prior to actually returning to Thailand it was an easy bet to say my wife wanted to return to Thailand to live. Since her return she has surprisingly expressed many negative feeling about life in Bangkok. One example is soon after her return she left her cell phone in a taxi. Needless to say she never saw the cell phone again. In Tokyo she would have almost certainly had the cell phone returned.

When you move away from home you tend to only remember the good side of things, and therefore many times only see the negative aspects of your new location. You end up saying how much easier this would be back home, or why do they make this so difficult here. My wife has been placed in the unique position to see that things were not as great as she remembered in Thailand.

This is not meant to knock life in Thailand/Bangkok – but more to point out when you move to a new country to live you often end up making only negative comparisons, and only see the positive side of things that are very obvious (such as comparison in cost).

For me I am almost certain my quality of life will improve in Thailand. But I will have the benefit of having a “local” for a wife that can help smooth over the problems many expats run into in a different country in regard to language and cultural issues. The biggest down side I have seen in Thailand is the lack of good quality in some of the more basic things. Getting good quality in some things requires a significant premium (cars, watches, and such), and getting good quality in other things seem almost impossible or requires a lot of work to find a source. This is something my wife really misses about Japan - easy to find, good quality goods and services.

<font color='#000000'>Once you have somewhere to live, a reliable means of transport and enough income to live in whatever style suits you, then lie back and enjoy Thailand, get off the beaten track, there is plenty to see and do.

Most important thing is good health!! Failing that a damned good health insurance and that is not cheap.</font>

Totally agree. Gave up the stress of work, flash cars, holidays to countries throughout the world, 6 bedroom house, to live in Thailand on a moderate pension at quite a young age. But on the local beach yesterday drinking my chang and watching the kids play, well worth it. Perhaps it's made easier if you feel you've done it all and now have peace of mind. :D Don't think I'd really feel the same way if I needed to work in Bangkok for a small salary. :o

I think that living in LOS is what you make it.

Come here expecting everything to run smoothly and to your plans and I suspect you will be sorely disappointed. :D

Come here and take things in your stride, adopt a thai attitude to day to day life....mai pen rai, mai khit mak, jai yen yen etc.....and I think you will find happiness. :o

I have..... :D

Come here expecting everything to run smoothly and to your plans and I suspect you will be sorely disappointed. :D

Come here and take things in your stride, adopt a thai attitude to day to day life....mai pen rai, mai khit mak, jai yen yen etc.....and I think you will find happiness.  :o

I have.....  :D

How very accuratly said.

I concur. :D:D

While I agree this is the key to a successful personal life in LOS. The problems we expats face are not only related to living here, but living here and working for a western company. We have much more personal freedom to “go with the flow” of things in a basic living issues. Generally we do not have the same level of freedom in regard to work related issues – we still must provide result to the home office at a level they feel is appropriate.

Come here and take things in your stride, adopt a thai attitude to day to day life....mai pen rai, mai khit mak, jai yen yen etc.....and I think you will find happiness.  :o

I have.....  :D

This can become very difficult if you work for a western company that expects/demands a certain level of performance/production. Unless you have a very understanding home office telling them “mai pen rai”, “mai khit mak” etc will get you no where but fired.

Part of the stress of being an expat is dealing with the local issues in a fashion that still provides for the level of performance expected from your home office. :D:D

While every company that has any level of significant international operations certainly expects hic-cups related to cultural issues. But it is typically your job as the on-site expat expert to work thru these issues and deal with the local staff issues/problems in a way that still provides the home office with the level of production/performance they demand – after all you must be able to financially justify the continued existence of operations – and a “mai pen rai” attitude is not likely to get you to this point in the long term.

With that being said I think many of the quality of life issues here in Thailand certainly can be made easier, the more excepting you are of how things are done locally. As you indicate take the “mai pen rai” attitude to day-to-day (personal) life and things will be much easier for you in Thailand. :D

The biggest down side I have seen in Thailand is the lack of good quality in some of the more basic things.  Getting good quality in some things requires a significant premium (cars, watches, and such), and getting good quality in other things seem almost impossible or requires a lot of work to find a source.  This is something my wife really misses about Japan - easy to find, good quality goods and services.

I will go along with that, Japan is expensive, but Japan is good quality.

<font color='#000000'>Well said, thank you.  The rat race, seems to becoming even more of an issue.....   :o</font>

I've been here fourteen years and, for what it's worth, I think most of this 'I moved to Thailand to escape the rat race' piffle comes from people who are just living at the margins here, either by choice or because it's all they can do. God knows there are plenty of those kinds of foreigners around.

My own experience is that real day-to-day life here is pretty much like real day-to-day life everywhere else, only perhaps a bit physically harder. If you want to accomplish anything in Thailand, it's a rat race just like it was back wherever you came from. You're just runningit against slightly different kinds of rats.

...starting from the age of 22, I was on holiday in Thailand every year for one month..(Pattaya)...I did that until 1999...than, when my mother prematurely was death I found myself to choose about my destiny, I was almost 30 y/o...have a decent work-career and family in my home country or go living in Thailand on holiday 24h a day???

Now it's more than 6 years I live in Thailand...I'm very happy and I'm sure I make the right decision years ago...and now I go on holiday in my home country every year for one month...the opposite than before.

Thailand is a paradise, all that you need is money....if you have enough, in my opinion, live in Thailand is much more better than any other country..especially if you think on terms of "value-money"

I think you need to make a distinction between "quality of life" and "standard of living".

"Quality of life" is pretty much up to you and depends almost entirely on your attitude. You figure out where you are, what you can do and then go about the business of making yourself and those around you as happy as possible.

All of this is quite independent of "standard of living". Clearly, one can have a high standard of living in Thailand for much less money than a similar standard would take in the West.

But, it's easy to have a high standard of living and still have a low quality of life.

Up to you.

I think you need to make a distinction between "quality of life" and "standard of living".

"Quality of life" is pretty much up to you and depends almost entirely on your attitude. You figure out where you are, what you can do and then go about the business of making yourself and those around you as happy as possible.

All of this is quite independent of "standard of living". Clearly, one can have a high standard of living in Thailand for much less money than a similar standard would take in the West.

But, it's easy to have a high standard of living and still have a low quality of life.

Up to you.

As my thoughts "quality of life" and "standard of living" brings at the same point...N.1 MUST HAVE MONEY!!!...than distinctions are finish!...I think I learn it in Thailand rather than my home country.

But I also respect others point of wiews...I just express mine's.

...we can speak a lot about what is right or not but in Thailand, thai people expect from falans good feelings, yes!....but also to have enough money to "invest" in this country...little bit same "tanakan walk walk"...especially upcontry...we have to accept this 'cause I think it's right!!!!

I think falans well dressed and with some style are far away well more accepted than backpackers....just reality...

Up to you.

well defined statements. can't say it any better.

<font color='#000000'>Well said, thank you.  The rat race, seems to becoming even more of an issue.....   :D</font>

I've been here fourteen years and, for what it's worth, I think most of this 'I moved to Thailand to escape the rat race' piffle comes from people who are just living at the margins here, either by choice or because it's all they can do. God knows there are plenty of those kinds of foreigners around.

My own experience is that real day-to-day life here is pretty much like real day-to-day life everywhere else, only perhaps a bit physically harder. If you want to accomplish anything in Thailand, it's a rat race just like it was back wherever you came from. You're just runningit against slightly different kinds of rats.

Different strokes for different folks! I've done all my accomplishing and am quite happy out of "the rat race". Met lots of rats in the Court System in my time and the only ones I see now and then, are the rats down in the docks whilst watching the fishing boats come in. :o

<font color='#000000'>I'm moving to Thailand next month with my Thai wife of 6 Years ( Marriage not her age :o )

and son of 5, leaving a life of stress and grief, mainly from the IT sector, and Uk in general.

Looking forward to doing very little for 6 months, and when the dust has settled, hope to help the wife run the family business and whatever else happens.

We'll be living near Kalasin, my son already has Certificate of Identity etc for schools. I'm 37 and hope to have a few answers to your question myself in a few years :D

btw this website is great!</font>

I didnt realise that Chon, Im glad to hear that mate. Make sure we meet up when your here. :D

re quality of life - Im never satisfied with my living situation. Some days here its great and then you can have major problems for no apparent reasons. Nothing wrong with Thailand, it has so much to offer everybody, but Im not sure if I will live here for more than a couple more years. I always have had itchy feet and I like the "newness" of places when you arrive and set up - thats a great feeling!

I might end up moving to the country for a while or maybe even another area of Thailand - not sure.

<snip>

I didnt realise that Chon, Im glad to hear that mate. Make sure we meet up when your here. :D

Hey Torny, did you check the date/time stamp on Chon's post? :o

Edited by Jai Dee

<font color='#000000'>Well said, thank you.  The rat race, seems to becoming even more of an issue.....   :o</font>

I agree OAH,

Spent about the same as you time in Asia, the last 7 years here in Thailand, and although I enjoy living here, a normal working day is getting up in the morning, driving to the office, working 'til 5, driving back home to the family. Not much different from what it would have been in my home country. So rat race - definitely!

The downside: getting things done here can be hard work, and as another poster pointed out, the concept of quality is almost unknown here.

On the other hand, living costs are lower (we live quite comfortably on a single income), people are nice, the climate is good (perhaps a little too d*mn hot at times), there are some fantastic places just a few hours drive (or flight) away and even this stinking polluted dump called Bangkok has its charm - and the city never gets boring......