Villa Market

Jingthing

I'm a huge fan of Villa... I've been making "Villa Runs" to Bangkok for years, so it's nice to have one locally, especially when buying stuff that one cannot really buy in bulk because of freshness, lack of space, et al.

I've made good friends with one of the managers, a lady named "Tatar", who has assured me that she can acquire specific goods for me. It's only been a week, but my fingers are crossed that some of my demands will be met. Among my requests were Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, certain flavors of Wheat Thins and SOS Pads.

I am also friends with the baker lady - she's a neighbor of mine, so I now have a place to get fresh San Fransisco style Sourdough bread and NYC style Jewish Rye. Yumm!

True, some of the readily available goods, such as Pepsi 6-packs and Thai products cost a bit more than they do at Tesco or Carrefoour - but Villa lacks sufficient storage space to provide deep-discount prices on such items. It's important to bear in mind that Villa's niche is rare and imported grocery items. For everyday things, it's best to shop elsewhere. If I want Pepsi or Lay's potato chips, I will go to the local Sev or Tesco. If I want a certain imported spice, a certain type of Mexican ingredient or something that I know Tesco's probably will not carry, I will head to Villa.

Sure, Villa's prices on certain items are astronomical compared to the prices for the same items in the US. A tub of Cool Whip at Villa is 230 Baht, more than 4 times the price at a Safeway in the US, but you have to consider the cost of transporting such a good halfway around the world. Small items, light items and non-perishables are cheaper because they do not require any special care during the haul. But fresh meats, produce and frozen goods that have limited lifetimes require special care during shipment that are added into the final cost. Frozen Eggo waffles are a delicate item, hence the large price tag. However, I've bought a couple boxes, along with some other things, tacking up a bill of over 3,400 Baht. The benefit of paying such a steep price for certain foodstuffs is that I conserve by eating less - which is healthier because we all know many of these American goods are loaded with fat and other unhealthy ingredients... but they sure hit the spot once in a while!

In short, I'm glad Villa is here, but although I'm a lifelong customer, I'm only a customer for certain items - I'm also a lifelong customer of Tesco, Carrefour, Big C, 7-11, Foodland and Friendship.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know people use the excuse of shipping charges for Villa's high prices on NON-PERISHABLE imports. However, I actually don't buy that. I think they are gouging us excessively but its not like we have any other choice. The reason I say this is that for years I shopped for THAI imported products in Asian markets in large American cities with large Asian expat populations. The prices were not much more than in Thailand, sometimes the same! I am talking about Thai things like fish sauce, rice noodles, spice pastes, etc. Yes, there is a huge market for these products in America. Also with the baht much stronger against the dollar for quite some time, Ben and Jerry's American ice cream pints are still 300 baht here! Again, we are in a take it or leave it situation, and better high priced than no availability at all. How much weaker does the dollar have to get for the stores to lower the price of American imports? They are cleaning up, don't imagine they aren't or make excuses.

Edited by Jingthing

P1SSED OFF!

......pardon my french but I,m well peeved. I have just went to the kitchen to start cooking my better half some lovely chicken fahitas for his tea with the chicken that I bought TODAY from Villa Market and the chicken is stinking! As soon as I opened the packet the smell hit me. I thought I didnt mind paying the extra money for quality but obviously their meat is treated the exact same way as any other supermarket in Thailand. I definitely will not be shopping there again.

And while im on the rant I picked up FOUR plums, got them weighed and the woman stuck on the sticker .....

(240BAHT!!!!) I about fell in a heap and promptly returned them to the tray which I picked them up in - bag and all!

In my opinion, total rip off.

Rant over

Grrrrrr

Just goes to show that we all have different experiences!

We were there today and it just confirmed to us what a nice experience The Villa is. The staff are friendly,helpful and do anything for you...well almost!!! :o

Yes it is more expensive. But it has great parking and providing you get your parking ticket stamped you can park there and go and have a few drinks.

begs

Villa Pattaya is grossly overstaffed ! Today there were about three or four

people just hanging around each cash register chating !!! Ridiculous and there is even

a guy to guide you into each cash register a bit like traffic control :D

Meanwhile this is my third visit and there are still no Grape Nuts cereal

on the shelves - if they knew there was going to be such a demand

for this item why didn't order in bulk in advance ? maybe concentrate more on

getting the right products on the shelves and cut back

a little on idle staff members :o

Villa market has excellent potential and are darn good right now.

They appear willing to order stuff, we will see. They currently have more of the foods we want than any of the other local places.

I would love to get our seafood, mostly sea shrimp and crab from a local market, but I do not know where a good one may be found. I also got 2 cartons of grapenuts and will buy more as soon as they have them. Sorry some folks have gotten bad fresh foods, I have not. Take em back if you can and see if they are going to be responsible. I'd like to know.

Hopefully some of the problems people have noticed are teething issues soon to be outgrown.

kdf

Too expensive and when you see the same item, imported from the same country with a very high price in Villa and in another shop it is maybe 70/80% of that price, then someone is rippiing someone off.

It is only worth shopping there for a specific item and only worth buying it there if it is a must have.

Too expensive and when you see the same item, imported from the same country with a very high price in Villa and in another shop it is maybe 70/80% of that price, then someone is rippiing someone off.

It is only worth shopping there for a specific item and only worth buying it there if it is a must have.

Can you be more specific about what items are 70-80 % of the Villa price and from where? Obviously many of us would be interested in this. :o

The place has not been open long.

In FMCG business stock control and having nthe goods on the shelves is the governing criteria.

So when they have had six months of moving goods in Pattaya, they will have their profitable items well displayed nd a lot of the other lines will disappear.

I promise you, in one year it will be indistinguishable from the other supermarkets - except perhaps for a small section of high=priced speciality lines to draw customers away from the Loyus / Big C / Friendship type of merchants.

The place has not been open long.

In FMCG business stock control and having nthe goods on the shelves is the governing criteria.

So when they have had six months of moving goods in Pattaya, they will have their profitable items well displayed nd a lot of the other lines will disappear.

I promise you, in one year it will be indistinguishable from the other supermarkets - except perhaps for a small section of high=priced speciality lines to draw customers away from the Loyus / Big C / Friendship type of merchants.

You may be right, but the owner is a wiley old bird and has become extremely rich and successful in Bangkok where there is also a lot of competition these days. Go in any BKK Villa, at almost any time, and you will find it packed - maybe 70% Farangs,

30% Thais.

Time will tell.

I would love to get our seafood, mostly sea shrimp and crab from a local market, but I do not know where a good one may be found.

kdf

You should go to the Naklua fresh food market. Drive North along Naklua Road, and you can't miss the large fresh market on your left, right next to the sea shore at the end of Na Klua. You don't have to go early, in fact I understand midday is peak time, with the most fresh sea food on the stalls.

You will see so much sea food that you never knew existed, and will be totally spoilt for choice. Everything has price tags so you won't get cheated. Take a cold chest with you.

Another funny Villa item.

Notice that deep into the BEER section is a US imported natural sasparilla ROOT BEER. This is obviously a soft drink and they have clearly classed it (and priced) it as an IMPORTED ALCOHOLIC BEER. That's hilarious, don't you think?

Another funny Villa item.

Notice that deep into the BEER section is a US imported natural sasparilla ROOT BEER. This is obviously a soft drink and they have clearly classed it (and priced) it as an IMPORTED ALCOHOLIC BEER. That's hilarious, don't you think?

No but you are..

I would love to get our seafood, mostly sea shrimp and crab from a local market, but I do not know where a good one may be found.

kdf

You should go to the Naklua fresh food market. Drive North along Naklua Road, and you can't miss the large fresh market on your left, right next to the sea shore at the end of Na Klua. You don't have to go early, in fact I understand midday is peak time, with the most fresh sea food on the stalls.

You will see so much sea food that you never knew existed, and will be totally spoilt for choice. Everything has price tags so you won't get cheated. Take a cold chest with you.

Hi Mobi,

The nakula market sounds great. I had made the mistake of thinking it was an early am thing and therefore unattainable.

Thanks

kdf

I've lived abroad in Europe, the Far East and SE Asia and sometimes you just want something you like or perhaps something from "back home". 99% of the time we compromise but just occasionally we pay that little more for rarity.

That said, I balked at paying near Bt300 for a small pack of After Eights in Carrefour the other week. I am still not sure why ?

That said, I balked at paying near Bt300 for a small pack of After Eights in Carrefour the other week. I am still not sure why ?

:o:D Surely you jest? You can get 3 packets of Tim Tam mint slices for that price and they can last you 3 days at least. =p

:o:D Surely you jest? You can get 3 packets of Tim Tam mint slices for that price and they can last you 3 days at least. =p

Not in my fridge they don't!!!

the pier where the 7/11 is is also great for shrimp and crab. straight off the boats and very cheap

Ok sounds good, what pier by a 7-11?

kdf

Bali Hai pier at the end of walking street. a kg of goong (big b***tards) is arounf 200 baht. you will have to execute the blights though when you get home.

between 7-10 in the morning is an ok time to get there.

earlier the better.

the pier where the 7/11 is is also great for shrimp and crab. straight off the boats and very cheap

kdf

Bali Hai pier at the end of walking street. a kg of goong (big b***tards) is arounf 200 baht. you will have to execute the blights though when you get home.

earlier the better.

What I have found is the seafood at Bali High Pier, and other open air Thai markets. although the shrimp is live, is not the same as the shrimp and seafood that are sold in Big C, and Carrefour. Even after cooking has a pugent unpleasant smell. I think low quality.

I have not tried the seafood at Villa as of yet.

Barry

Not in my fridge they don't!!!

I hear ya. I didn't dare let on what a true cookie monster I am. But now that I know there are others out there.... :o

Tim Tams Double Coat is awesome stuff as well. Tis a pity I can't seem to find Violet crumble anywhere at all. =(

What I have found is the seafood at Bali High Pier, and other open air Thai markets. although the shrimp is live, is not the same as the shrimp and seafood that are sold in Big C, and Carrefour. Even after cooking has a pugent unpleasant smell. I think low quality.

Barry

I completely disagree about the quality issue. Naklua market is a regular stop of mine, and I will check out Bali Hai pier soon because it's close to me. I used to go there but assumed they had stopped selling since the renovation of Bali Hai--silly me.

Naklua market has some of the freshest, tastiest seafood you'll ever find and is super cheap, sometimes a quarter the price of Foodland and other westernized shops.

Shrimp are not all created equal. There are farmed shrimp and wild shrimp and you'll find both in Naklua, the sea shrimp being more expensive. In addition, there are the farmed river shrimp which are best for barbecuing.

If I get ambitious, I'll head out there sometime with a camera and report back on the best buys I've discovered in Naklua.

Edited by Jimmyd

kdf

earlier the better.

Barry

Then either you've never been to Naklua Market or you are buying from the wrong stalls or vendors.

Na Klua is the premier fresh sea food market for this area, and I can assure you that the produce there is every bit as good, and much fresher - and cheaper than you will find in any Supermarket.

My wife is a past master at buying and cooking seafood - she used to run her own restaurant in the South of Thailand - and has shopped at the fresh markets in Bangkok as well as other parts of the country, and is very satisfied with the freshness and quality of the produce at Na Klua. She would never buy sea food at any one of the stores you mention - definitely not as fresh, and some of it of dubious quality.

BTW there are also excellent fresh vegetable and meat markets in the same area of NaKlua.