Uk Pension For Brits Married To Thai Women

dressedingreen

Some further info of my experience in this matter............I have paid NI contributions since I started work in 1966. I left to go work abroad in 1977 and have worked overseas ever since, however I maintained paying voluntary contributions every month to this day.

I am nort due to retire until AFTER April 2010 and last year (Sept 2006) the DHSS actually contacted me and advised me to consider that I may not have to pay any further contributions if the new pensions White paper becomes law. I have attached a copy of this letter:-

post-17773-1193724266_thumb.jpg

I have not received any further correspondence to date from them on this matter.

[/qu

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, as a UK citizen with passport and voting rights plus right of abode we also pay tax on any income sourced in the Uk (pensions, investments , business etc) therefore my argument is that by legal definition we must be resident in UK EVEN if we choose to spend our retirement in warmer climes for twelve months of the year.

It can be a 2 edge sword.

If I declare I am UK resident to get the full pension increases,

I will then have pay the EU resident tax on my investments,

even though they are offshore, ie outside the mainland UK.

I get caught either way :o

I suspect the loss of pension is less than the EU tax, I will have to do the sums.

PS you loose your voting rights after a few years, 5 I believe.

How many members are recognised as resident in Thailand

very few I suspect.

A year by year retirement visa is not a residence permit.

Although I am younger than Mobi and therefore a bit further away from UK state pension ( :o ) I have followed this thread with interest and I think one of the most interesting points is that quoted above re Resident Status. I think this could be a moot legal point because by Thai law we (most) of us are here on an annual basis that is a holiday that lasts twelve months and we are at the mercy of Thai authorities who can withdraw or change the conditions of our stay at any point (and have done!) Therefore by legal definiton we are NON RESIDENT. Now, as a UK citizen with passport and voting rights plus right of abode we also pay tax on any income sourced in the Uk (pensions, investments , business etc) therefore my argument is that by legal definition we must be resident in UK EVEN if we choose to spend our retirement in warmer climes for twelve months of the year.

If these facts were presented by counsel in the European Court I think they would be hard to dispute, it is nothing to do with reciprocal social security payments and more to do with Human Rights as a UK citizen! I would be interested in what othes think of my reasoning.

On a slightly different note any UK ex servicement reading this should be aware that after 1975 any service exceeding two years qualified for a preserved pension payable when you reach 60! however, it has to be claimed they do not contact you!

Funny you should mention uk servicemen serving after 1975 for 2 years or more receiving a preserved service pension, these rules came in to being in April 1975 anyone serving before April 1975 had to serve 22 years man service to get a pension, i am one of the unlucky thousands of serviceman who came out after serving 14 years in the RN who did not qualify for a pension as i came out March 1975 , See www.afpg.info

I was reading, in the Pattaya forum, about the UK government's decision to freeze pensions for expats from the day they leave the UK. I'd been aware of this for some time, and I understand it goes to the ECHR in a month or so. Hopefully, they'll rule in favour of the complainants. It IS, IMO, grossly unfair to freeze payments at the old rate just because someone has chosen to live their dotage out abroad. But ... and here's what I want to get some feedback on ... does anyone have experience of the situation for UK expats who marry Thai women? Does the UK pension go up any to take account of the marriage, even though it has taken place outside the UK? Does the spouse of a UK expat continue to get any kind of pension after the expat has 'popped their cloggs'? I'm not of pensionable age ... yet. 10 years to go.

Any feedback will be welcome.

DIG

I am of pensionable age in Feb 2008, yesterday i phoned Pensions UK who confirmed that i would only receive a single persons pension as my wife was not a resident of UK.

I am of pensionable age in Feb 2008, yesterday i phoned Pensions UK who confirmed that i would only receive a single persons pension as my wife was not a resident of UK.

That is totally incorrect. Your wife of any nationality, living anywhere is acceptable for you to receive the ADI (Additional dependents Increase) - at least if you are 65 before 5th April 2010

Suggest you write to them forcefully. Phone calls are a waste of time

Nick

So what do guys get who have little or no NI contributions ? Just nothing ?

Isn't there some sort of old age pension you get just for being old ?

1 contribution will get you something if you are 65 AFTER 5th April 2010. Each contribution is worth one thirtieth of the state pension.

If you are 65 before 6th April 2010, then I think you get something when and if you make it to 80!

So what do guys get who have little or no NI contributions ? Just nothing ?

Isn't there some sort of old age pension you get just for being old ?

If you remain in the UK you would qualify for Income Support and /or pension credits which means you get a basic living allowance plus rent/council tax paid. If you live outside UK you get zero. This of course changes after 2010 when you can get a pension pro rata to your payments up to 30 years which will be the new maximum payments needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff..............which has given me reason to panic. :o

I am 49. British. Worked most of my life in the UK but had a 6 year stint in the USA.

How can i find out how many years i have to qualify for the full pension?

Is there a website or email where i can ask them to work out how many years of NI i have paid?

If i fall below the 30 year rule then i want to be able to back-pay top-up contributions.

I am 49. British. Worked most of my life in the UK but had a 6 year stint in the USA.

Is there a website or email where i can ask them to work out how many years of NI i have paid?

If i fall below the 30 year rule then i want to be able to back-pay top-up contributions.

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/

Normally you can ask for a forecast online or by completing a form BR19, however, the service is suspended unil 2008 to allow them to upgrade the software, after that point they will give you a forecast and the opportunity to make up any shortfall.