Two Favorite Thai Restaurants

patsfangr

There are two restaurants that I'd like to recommend to those of you who like Thai food, at Thai prices. One is here in Pattaya. The other is along the shore in Jomtien.

FIRST:

We have found a remarkable Thai restaurant that is only a few hundred feet off of Sukhumvit Road, yet seems secluded once you're inside.

It's called "Som Poi", but the name is in Thai only, so, unless you have a Thai partner, don't look for the name.

Most importantly, the food is very good. The prices are "Thai". Two people can eat a full meal, including a couple of beers, for less than 1000 baht.

The seating surrounds a pond. There is (unfortunately) some Thai karaoke. But it's not as bad as some places. The seating is varied. On one side of the pond, there's Japanese style bench seating, where you remove your shoes, slide in, and put your feet into a clean "pit" under the table. On the next side, it's large tables with bench seating. On the third side, it's round tables with chairs. Lots of greenery everywhere. Once in there, it really feels like you're miles from the city, rather than just a few hundred feet from Sukhumvit.

DIRECTIONS: Sukhumvit, going north from Pattaya Tai. Turn left on Soi 46, directly opposite the Family Mart on the east side of Sukhumvit. (Careful. There's a 46/3, 46/2, and 46/1, before you get to 46.) Once into Soi 46, take an immediate right. The entrance to the restaurant will be on your left, just a few yards into that small road.

NEXT:

Thai seafood restaurant.

It's called Ton Hat. It's another restaurant that doesn't cater to many Falang, so there are no English language signs to help you. But it serves excellent fresh seafood, at "Thai" prices.

It's right on the shore, and has both outdoor and indoor seating. The indoor seating is a relatively small, glass enclosed room, which is air conditioned, or has the option of open windows, depending upon the weather.

DIRECTIONS: Sukhumvit going south. Pass Alangkarn, then make a U-turn. Coming back, just past Alankarn, you'll turn left on a road that has a large sign - but in Thai - with the name of the restaurant on it. Just follow the road to the end, turn right, and you'll find the restaurant on your left. There's covered parking directly opposite. If you pass it, you'll know. The road ends shortly after the restaurant.

There are two restaurants that I'd like to recommend to those of you who like Thai food, at Thai prices. One is here in Pattaya. The other is along the shore in Jomtien.

FIRST:

We have found a remarkable Thai restaurant that is only a few hundred feet off of Sukhumvit Road, yet seems secluded once you're inside.

It's called "Som Poi", but the name is in Thai only, so, unless you have a Thai partner, don't look for the name.

Most importantly, the food is very good. The prices are "Thai". Two people can eat a full meal, including a couple of beers, for less than 1000 baht.

The seating surrounds a pond. There is (unfortunately) some Thai karaoke. But it's not as bad as some places. The seating is varied. On one side of the pond, there's Japanese style bench seating, where you remove your shoes, slide in, and put your feet into a clean "pit" under the table. On the next side, it's large tables with bench seating. On the third side, it's round tables with chairs. Lots of greenery everywhere. Once in there, it really feels like you're miles from the city, rather than just a few hundred feet from Sukhumvit.

DIRECTIONS: Sukhumvit, going north from Pattaya Tai. Turn left on Soi 46, directly opposite the Family Mart on the east side of Sukhumvit. (Careful. There's a 46/3, 46/2, and 46/1, before you get to 46.) Once into Soi 46, take an immediate right. The entrance to the restaurant will be on your left, just a few yards into that small road.

NEXT:

Thai seafood restaurant.

It's called Ton Hat. It's another restaurant that doesn't cater to many Falang, so there are no English language signs to help you. But it serves excellent fresh seafood, at "Thai" prices.

It's right on the shore, and has both outdoor and indoor seating. The indoor seating is a relatively small, glass enclosed room, which is air conditioned, or has the option of open windows, depending upon the weather.

DIRECTIONS: Sukhumvit going south. Pass Alangkarn, then make a U-turn. Coming back, just past Alankarn, you'll turn left on a road that has a large sign - but in Thai - with the name of the restaurant on it. Just follow the road to the end, turn right, and you'll find the restaurant on your left. There's covered parking directly opposite. If you pass it, you'll know. The road ends shortly after the restaurant.

And thats cheap!!!!!!

Edited by plasticpig

FIRST:

NEXT:

Thai seafood restaurant.

And thats cheap!!!!!!

Sorry, I forgot that so many of you guys consider anything over a 5 baht satay on a stick as "fine dining".

I forgot to add a couple of points. I am a BIG eater, and my wife always takes home an additional 2-3 entres for a later meal. So, we really order for the equivalent of 4 people. :-) Our last meal there actually cost me 480 baht, with some take home. (Glad I didn't even mention the outsanding Saturday night seafood buffet at the Montien Hotel!)

FIRST:

NEXT:

Thai seafood restaurant.

And thats cheap!!!!!!

My thoughts as well. How many "ordinary Thai" couple can spend 1000 baht on a meal?

Oh Ar Harn Thai, on Pattaya Tai, opposite Soi Day Night offer excellent Thai food at 40 - 60 Baht per meal. Two of you can have a feast there for well under 500 Baht with drinks.

name='patsfangr' date='2007-10-13 10:08:45' post='1592645']

Sorry, I forgot that so many of you guys consider anything over a 5 baht satay on a stick as "fine dining".

I forgot to add a couple of points. I am a BIG eater, and my wife always takes home an additional 2-3 entres for a later meal. So, we really order for the equivalent of 4 people. :-) Our last meal there actually cost me 480 baht, with some take home. (Glad I didn't even mention the outsanding Saturday night seafood buffet at the Montien Hotel!)

I'm sorry you feel the need to talk down at people.

But you said Thai food at Thai prices.

500baht a head!!!!!!!!!!

Don't think so.

What sort of income would you need to do that for two every day?

Edited by plasticpig

I'm no 5-baht-satay-stick guy, but those prices make it more of a 'Thai Food at Farang prices' restaurant.

1,000 baht is what the tourists can pay - but we residents

know where to go dont we :o Or-Aharn as someone said

is perfectly good as is Jits in Jomtien

As I said, guys, I am a big eater, AND we always take 2-3 entres home with us. The entres at both Som Poi and Tan Hat range from about 40 baht to as much as 300 (for a large fried Grouper at Tan Hat). Most good entres are in the area of about 70-80 baht. Both of these restaurants serve to an almost exclusively Thai clientele. You could certainly eat at either of them for about 120 baht, if you're satisfied with one entre and one beer. I just eat more than that.

Give one or both a try. Then tell me they're "tourist traps".

For me when I am in Pattaya I am a tourist, I too eat well and often spend 400 to 1000 on a meal.

But the places mentioned are not accessible unless you have transport.

Just to list a few of my favorite restaurants:

• Nang Nual, in Walking St.
  • Either of the two Swiss restaurants in Soi Diamond
  • Ruin Thai, 2nd road opposite the Royal Garden Plaza

BB

name='Basil B' date='2007-10-13 22:32:43' post='1593748']

For me when I am in Pattaya I am a tourist, I too eat well and often spend 400 to 1000 on a meal.

But the places mentioned are not accessible unless you have transport.

Just to list a few of my favorite restaurants:

• Nang Nual, in Walking St.
  • Either of the two Swiss restaurants in Soi Diamond
  • Ruin Thai, 2nd road opposite the Royal Garden Plaza

BB

The Nang Nual, not so nice

Swiss restaurant in soi diamond, left hand side going down.

Was great when it was all air con.

Since it was split, its not so nice, waitress coming in and out the door every few seconds. So give it a miss now days.

Shame as the food was great.

Ruin Thai. Not so nice food. was good 5 years ago.

Myself if I wish to eat Thai food with friends Thai or Falang. ( cant remember the name)

I go to the open air all you can eat Buffet on Third road, a bit past the fishing place on the right, heading to North road.

Great value its 110 baht last time I was there per head.

Full of Thais and falang every night.

Must be something good.

Edited by plasticpig