River Land Nong Khai - Phon Phisai

Dear members of this magnificent website-forum, I am Rudi from Belgium and want to purchase land with river frontage in the region Nong Khai - Phon Phisai -Bung Kan.

Last year we bought land (1200SqM) in the centre of Sawang Daendin, we wanted to build our house over there, but I've always been "water" minded and we want to change our plan, keep the land in Sawang Daendin (We've already recieved some offers from Thai, but I think it's better to keep), prices only go up in the centre of town!

So, now we are looking for some land (max 1 Rai) with river frontage. I know already, prices are rather high on first row, but maybe we still can find something? We already checked the FBI office in Udon, they have some land for sale, but size and price much to high.

I hope to get some advice from this forum? Is this kind of land still affordable in this region (for normal working guy)?

Thanks in advance

Rudi

(Sorry for my bad english)

Seems land in many areas of Los are going ridiculous.

I see 35 rai for sale in Kaoh Yai with nice view etc for 45 million baht, that is ferkin ridiculous.

I see river front land in some areas for 1 to 3 million baht, that is also ridiculous.

Considering that I could buy an acre of riverfront land back in my home country for somewhat less than this, not a 3rd world country with 3rd world services to match.

I am still hopefull and looking for same as you want in a different area.

Good luck, cannot beat water as a feature of your home.

Or at least a 'design' as opposed to an 'accidental' feature of your home, our 1.5 Rai of Pathum Thani riverside swamp (incidentally valued recently at 6 million) flooded regularly before we had it filled, even with the fill we're only a few inches from swamping again :o

House design (as yet unbuilt pending available finance) is classic Thai 'bungalow on sticks' immune from water ingress :D

Edited by Crossy

Or at least a 'design' as opposed to an 'accidental' feature of your home, our 1.5 Rai of Pathum Thani riverside swamp (incidentally valued recently at 6 million) flooded regularly before we had it filled, even with the fill we're only a few inches from swamping again :o

House design (as yet unbuilt pending available finance) is classic Thai 'bungalow on sticks' immune from water ingress :D

Crossy,

This is what I'm afraid for: rising water in the wet season. That's why I'm asking myself; Is it safe to build a "normal" western style house near the river, or is it just better to build Thai style?

Crossy,

This is what I'm afraid for: rising water in the wet season. That's why I'm asking myself; Is it safe to build a "normal" western style house near the river, or is it just better to build Thai style?

Personally, I like the Thai style, and it fits with what the neighbours have. Are the locals in your area building 'conventional' homes or pole houses?

If you fill to at least 1/2 a metre above the road level you should be OK, but our local council build little dykes along the road to keep the water out of the rice paddys and this raises the potential for flooding since we're between the road and the river. It can be somewhat disconcerting to be driving along the road when you pass a young lady in a boat who's level with the car windows (on the other side of the dyke).

Interestingly, some locals have just put up a 'Western' type house right by the river, they don't seem worried about the flooding potential, maybe they'll change their minds next time it rains.

Edited by Crossy

I see 35 rai for sale in Kaoh Yai with nice view etc for 45 million baht, that is ferkin ridiculous.

I see river front land in some areas for 1 to 3 million baht, that is also ridiculous.

Considering that I could buy an acre of riverfront land back in my home country for somewhat less than this, not a 3rd world country with 3rd world services to match.

Nong Khai town had two GRAND floods, 1966 & 1971, ask some of the older folks about them.  The dikes help out these days, but ....

Also be careful about building right on the river bank, I had a couple Thai friends whose houses went downstream via erosion.  They lived in the area behind the hospital and upstream from Wat Hai Sok.

Mac

Nong Khai town had two GRAND floods, 1966 & 1971, ask some of the older folks about them.  The dikes help out these days, but ....

Also be careful about building right on the river bank, I had a couple Thai friends whose houses went downstream via erosion.  They lived in the area behind the hospital and upstream from Wat Hai Sok.

Mac

These are 2 examples we're thinking about:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...;p=1244081&

http://thaihousemarket.com/index.php?actio...amp;listingID=4

Edited by Rudi1

What part of Kao Yai? Is this near a stream or just with a nice view? Prices around this area seem to be crazy,

Rudi, last year I spent some months in Nong Khai in a riverfront house. It was a newly-built shop house near to the Chedi that is in the middle of the Mekong. It had the shop ground floor, mezzanine and 2 more floors, plus roof garden, cable TV and ADSL internet.

Although we were renting it, the house is for sale from the landlord for about 2.5 million baht. Were I not owning a hotel in Phuket, I would buy it!

Simon

Rudi, last year I spent some months in Nong Khai in a riverfront house. It was a newly-built shop house near to the Chedi that is in the middle of the Mekong. It had the shop ground floor, mezzanine and 2 more floors, plus roof garden, cable TV and ADSL internet.

Although we were renting it, the house is for sale from the landlord for about 2.5 million baht. Were I not owning a hotel in Phuket, I would buy it!

Simon

Simon,

Thanks for the info, we'll take a look at it next month when we're back in Isan.

Rudi