What Visa Do I Get My Kids?

My family and I are goiing to Thailand soon (9th Nov) and I'm wondering what visa to get my two girls. They are 10months and 2 and a half, their mum is Thai but they were both born in England and have GB passports. My wife and the girls will be staying with her parents for 64 days. The embassy says they need a visa so I was wondering which one I need.

Multipe entry will give them 60 days but then I will need to do a visa run or risk being charged for going over. (is that right?)

Non-imagrant "0" visa would give me 90 days and is the proper one to get as they are staying with family, but is evidence needed? will it take longer to get. Plus it's about £20 more each.

Which visa should I go for?

Plus I will be travelling with them but I will be leaving after a week to go back to work. I will then go and pick them up and stay for another 3 weeks just after xmas. Do I need to get a visa at all (as long as I have the relavant flights) or do I need a multiple entry visa as I as going and coming back?

Any help or comments with any of this are thankfully received.

Cheers

1. They require at least a tourist visa - but that would be overstayed by 4 days and passports stamped as overstay (although no fee would be charged). They could obtain 30 day extensions to avoid the stamp but that would cost 1,900 baht and a trip to immigration/photo. They should be able to easily obtain non immigrant O visa providing a 90 day stay (birth certificate and mothers Thai passport or ID card should prove that but best to check with Consulate). Believe most people would just overstay as it is not considered a big deal for children.

2. You should be fine without a visa as long as you have your outbound ticket within 30 days.

If their mother is Thai they should be able to get a Thai passport. Take their birth certificates to the Thai Embassy/Consulate and they should be able to make a Thai birth certificate. With that, get them Thai passports.

I did this at the LA Consulate years ago. It was very easy to get done. I think you can do the birth certificate and the passport at the same time, but can't remember if there was a waiting time to get the passport back.

Much easier than worrying about visas.

If their mother is Thai they should be able to get a Thai passport. Take their birth certificates to the Thai Embassy/Consulate and they should be able to make a Thai birth certificate. With that, get them Thai passports.

I did this at the LA Consulate years ago. It was very easy to get done. I think you can do the birth certificate and the passport at the same time, but can't remember if there was a waiting time to get the passport back.

Much easier than worrying about visas.

exactly what i as going to suggest, but given the time frame of him travellin in three weeks, and the fact that the new biometric passports indicatively take 4 weeks to issue overseas (and a trip to the embassy), then he's probably not got the time to get them for this trip.

If time is a factor, when the OP gets a visa he can get the Thai birth certs at the same time, assuming he's doing it in person. Not sure if they'll do it by mail, but might be worth asking.

Anyway, with a birth cert in hand, it might be possible to get the passports duing the trip here.

My family and I are goiing to Thailand soon (9th Nov) and I'm wondering what visa to get my two girls. They are 10months and 2 and a half, their mum is Thai but they were both born in England and have GB passports. My wife and the girls will be staying with her parents for 64 days. The embassy says they need a visa so I was wondering which one I need.

Multipe entry will give them 60 days but then I will need to do a visa run or risk being charged for going over. (is that right?)

Non-imagrant "0" visa would give me 90 days and is the proper one to get as they are staying with family, but is evidence needed? will it take longer to get. Plus it's about £20 more each.

Which visa should I go for?

Plus I will be travelling with them but I will be leaving after a week to go back to work. I will then go and pick them up and stay for another 3 weeks just after xmas. Do I need to get a visa at all (as long as I have the relavant flights) or do I need a multiple entry visa as I as going and coming back?

Any help or comments with any of this are thankfully received.

Cheers

I'm in the same situation as you, my daughter, who is now six years old, is born in Norway, and only holds a Norwegian PP. She travelled with me to Norway in March, and we came back in June. She entered without visa on a 30 day stamp, since we didn't see a point in paying for a reentry permit for her, (I'm holding a non im. O extension with reentry permit) Since my daugthers PP was about to expire, we had to get a new one from the Norwegian consulate in PTY. My Wife and I then went to immi. at Jomtien with the birth cert. (International version) as proof of her having a Thai Mother,and old and new PP. She got stamped in with a one year stamp on the grounds of beeing a thai citizen, she was then on overstay, since we had to wait for the new PP, no questions asked concerning overstay fees. the only "hassle" is that she (meaning my wife or me) has to make the 90 day rapport at immi. for her. Total cost 1900 thb. Witch was the same the as the first time she entered Thailand, in 2005.

On a side note, we didn't fly on a direct flight, but trough HKG/Macau, and Air Asia was asking for a return ticket for her, I showed them my visa, and her birth certificate, and then they ran arround a little to check on things, but after five minutes the "problem" was settled (she had a previous one year ext. stamp in her PP) and she was also a dependant on me, and clearly entiteled to ext. on those grounds. So she was allowed to fly to TH on a one way ticket.

In your case, travelling with their mother, a Thai citizen, I don't think there will be any problems at all.

:o

Morty