Busted By The Police

grrr

The whole thing here is Papers, leagle, leagle papers, illeagle leagle papers, signed documents, goverment stamps, forged paperwork. Sometimes it doesnt matter how hard you try you cannot get a straight awnser or imperfect paperwork on motercycles or anything here. Just ask that French guy in phuket that was on tv last week cause he bought leagle land transfered to him built a resort and now the government is saying it is park land and everybody involved seems to have a bunch of paperwork. To top the whole matter it is my understanding that no one but a resident of Thailand can leagly own any motercycle and I know of a couple married guys with big exspensive bikes in the 600,000 tb range that all the paperwork is in the name of wife. So there is also no perfect awnser nor a single perfect way to do this.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive already been ran over and had plenty of other bad stuff happen and in the end I payed even though it wasnt my fault or at least according to my thinking it wasnt but I dont make the rules here, I just live here. "Pay as you go".

Hahaha...............Fair enough. :o

So you're saying that all those motorcycle shops selling the 300k baht tenere's or whatever are full of BS when they say they can make it legal for 50K?

I'm referring specifically to the type of bike belonging to the original poster...A used bike parted out in Japan and sent here as spare parts and no other paperwork, and reassembled here. There must be thousands of these running around Thailand. I have no experience with new bikes, parted and imported in as spare parts...

I can't drive bikes anymore, but it's a question I've tried so many times and ways to find a successful solution to making these bikes legal. Even with money not being an issue, I've never found a legal solution... And, besides, this often quoted figure of 50,000 baht should be a major clue that this ain't legal, since there are no possible legal filing fees that could ever ad up to that amount.

And the earlier suggestion of making a 'semi-legal bike' is still illegal, no matter the spin. If the numbers don't match nothing else is gonna happen...Forging frame numbers is an easy way to get busted, from the forgery attempts I've seen....

I have a number of friends whose bike's legal status remains in limbo. They all wanted to drive legal bikes, and all of them were under the impression that 'legal' was possible, for a price.....Well, they're still waiting. I'd be happy to pay 1,000 baht for a true solution I can pass on to my friends....

The Laws have changed, they can own bikes now, their name in the book, even on a 30 day stamp. I have my Pick up registered in my name, i done it on a 30 day entry stamp.

A few years ago it had to be a Thai name without an appropriate Visa, that changed a while back.

The Laws have changed, they can own bikes now, their name in the book, even on a 30 day stamp. I have my Pick up registered in my name, i done it on a 30 day entry stamp.

A few years ago it had to be a Thai name without an appropriate Visa, that changed a while back.

A few years ago? My first bike was bought in Pattaya 1984 with my name. In 1990 I bouhgt a big new bike in BKK, in my name, and I still have the bike legally in my name. This law about farang can not buy bike or car have to be very old.

A few years ago? My first bike was bought in Pattaya 1984 with my name. In 1990 I bouhgt a big new bike in BKK, in my name, and I still have the bike legally in my name. This law about farang can not buy bike or car have to be very old.

Yes but before you needed a visa, now you can do it with a 30 day entry stamp.

Ahhh it's great to know <deleted> like john b good, p brownstone, and astral have absolutely nothing better to do than be <deleted>! Good job guys, keep up the good work. The world would be oh so boring without perfect, upstanding citizens such as yourselves! "Clowns" like me will just keep learning and adapting to this country without your brilliant advice, though never plan to be as (uhum...cough) informed or (<deleted> you?!) morally upright as you. Playing off of astral's "helpful" comment, never fails to amaze me how stupid people are. Anyway...now that that is off my chest...

It seems from the replies of the self rightous 'I never do anything wrong nor should you' posters that try to state western values in a country that is still a long way off from gaining that status yet,should see what the real situation is first. They have never visited the Thai countryside. Out there lack of reg plates on older machines is the norm,as is no insurance tax or helmets.
Absolutely right. Interestingly, I transported this bike from Chiang Mai to the far reaches of Kanchanaburi province near the Burmese border, lived for a year, and transported it back all by pick-up. I showed the papers I had to the police twice and had no problems. You want to see unregistered, uninsured, non-helmet wearing motorbike owners go visit Sangkhlaburi.
I would hazard a guess his bike has lights and indicators, if it doesnt, then yes he cannot register it.
Yeah it's got turn indicators, break lights, and I even bought mirrors.
Give me a phone number of ANYONE you know who has made an illegal bike legal. I'll pay you 1,000 baht if it's really true.
I'm not doubting you and believe (your arrogant...just joking!) claims about this...but the guy I bought it from said he could make it legal for 30,000B. Obviously a large portion of this money would be for bribes...but maybe it would be "legal" when complete? I'm not going to pay that much...but still interesting. Based on what you have seen it sounds pretty questionable...though I still believe money can certainly buy anything.
But for thai people, it's usually 200 baht. I guess it's higher for farang, just like many other things!
Should we not expect double+ pricing for the police! I tried 200, then 300, then 400, and then 500. Then he said ok.

So...based on the helpful posts so far I'm going to assume there is no way to make this bike legal. I could pay 30,000B or so and get the license plate and papers, but they might be poorly forged, etc. If anyone does have any further advice on making my bike legal, please let me know!

Ahhh it's great to know <deleted> like john b good, p brownstone, and astral have absolutely nothing better to do than be <deleted>! Good job guys, keep up the good work.

I am feeling neglected, i also slagged off the fact that you would have no insurance, i also expect a portion of the slagging in return!

I hope you correct this injustice at the earliest opportunity. :o

I've tried and tried not to indulge in this thread.....but I just couldn't risist in the end. So here goes.

Firstly - Begs: I sympathise with your feeling of neglect..but the chastisement must come from Grrr, hope you don't have to wait too long :D

Second -To all those 'Holier than Thou' posters who have lived here for so long without fault....<deleted>

There is not a single soul, Thai or otherwise residing in this land who hasn't at some stage benefitted from the totally corrupt infrastructure that exists in Thailand. Furthermore, while we all continue to live here we all continue to benefit from the corruption that drives this economy. Whether it be your cheap brand rip-offs from the hawkers to your Bt.120 VCD's/DVD's. All the way to the easier option of tea money in preference to court proceedings for traffic violations. Further yet, possibly a good many of the "Glass house stone throwers" have benefitted from the generosity of the local (illegal) flesh trade that drives the night-time entertainment industry. :D

We're all guilty..and all benefit.

Thirdly. Grrr

You have now had your card marked, and your collar felt. You will be a continual target for the regular police 'Fund raisers' when the next Captain is purchasing his next promotion (No corruption there) :D It will cost you a great deal more money than your bike is worth to completely and thoroughly legalize your bike. Considering registration, back road tax full insurance and liability, fines and fee's. Then once you have made you and your vehicle perfectly legal in the eyes of the Thai legal system :o It will not stop you from being a legitimate target of skullduggery by the boys in brown. They will still find some bullshit reason for extracting monies from you, because that's how it works here. It's corrupt, top down driven.

There is no perfect answer for you, but maybe this will reduce your contributions to the 'Police Promotion Program'.

1. Dump that bike or keep it solely for off road.

2. Buy a brand new scooter/Sonic in the g/f name and enjoy a slow pace.

3. Buy a bigger reputable registered bigger bike, fully legalize it, follow the highway code as best you can...and always carry Bt.200 in a separate pocket.

Happy riding :D

Forthly and yes lastly:

Of all the advisors on this thread I'll say this. I know the reputation of RooBoy, and although his opinions may be singular on many topics, his knowledge of powered 2wheelers, and the administration thereof is second to none and, is....up to date.

Those who are offering outdated inaccurate info should.....not.

:wub:

Registering a vehicle on a 30 day tourist visa i doubt it now. By law you must have a non-imm visa. All local reg. are now checking closer,especially BKK. As for riding an illegal bike pay your money and take your chances,times have changed and they've been cracking down nationwide for Thais and falangs.

Registering a vehicle on a 30 day tourist visa i doubt it now. By law you must have a non-imm visa.

I registered my Pick up in my name only a few Months ago, on a 30 day entry stamp.

I also renewed my Thai driving license on a 30 day stamp, but I did need a Non imm visa when originally applying for my license, the renewal I did not need it.

With the 30 day stamp they would only give me another One year, if I had a Non Immigrant visa, I could have got 5 years.

Both of these events took place this year, in Pattaya, no bribes. :o

I registered my Pick up in my name only a few Months ago, on a 30 day entry stamp.

I also renewed my Thai driving license on a 30 day stamp, but I did need a Non imm visa when originally applying for my license, the renewal I did not need it.

With the 30 day stamp they would only give me another One year, if I had a Non Immigrant visa, I could have got 5 years.

Both of these events took place this year, in Pattaya, no bribes.  :o

You were lucky, it is not the law to issue on 30 day stamps, and it does not happen every time a farang tries. It is purely dependant on many factors, but it is not written in stone. As I said, you were lucky.

FOR SALE: 1996 Honda XR250 Dirt Bike. Very well maintained and loved. Her name is Lamyai and she kicks ass when required. Price negotiable, but don't ask me for 20,000B! Comes with some papers which don't mean much, but couldn't hurt.

Too bad I have left the country already. My old 1978 Honda XL 125 (it hasn't been registered in years) was resurrected and being used by my son with wood planks strapped on to the frame with a bicycle seat nailed into the wood. A 250XR would be perfect for me up in the hills at my house where few bikes are legal. But who cares, there are no police either.

Ahhh it's great to know <deleted> like john b good, p brownstone, and astral have absolutely nothing better to do than be <deleted>! Good job guys, keep up the good work. The world would be oh so boring without perfect, upstanding citizens such as yourselves! "Clowns" like me will just keep learning and adapting to this country without your brilliant advice, though never plan to be as (uhum...cough) informed or (<deleted> you?!) morally upright as you. Playing off of astral's "helpful" comment, never fails to amaze me how stupid people are. Anyway...now that that is off my chest...

I truly do not understand what you are complaining about - either in your original Post or subsequent ones.

Certainly, any motorcycle-riding Farang who has used the roads in Thailand for any length of time will quite possibly, eventually, be pulled over by the police for some infraction - real or imagined.

When the offense is just in the mind of the policeman - he's just looking to extort money - then yes, anyone has the right to complain about the unfairness of it all etc..

In your case however you CHOSE to buy an illegal, unregisterd motorcycle and drive it on public roads in Thailand.

If you can explain WHY you feel you were unjustly stoppped by the police then please do so!

If you cannot explain I simply suggest you stop whining and carry several loose 100 Baht notes around with you whenever you next decide to show your contempt for Thai laws.

I truly do not understand what you are complaining about - either in your original Post or subsequent ones.

Certainly, any motorcycle-riding Farang who has used the roads in Thailand for any length of time will quite possibly eventually be pulled over by the police for some infraction - real or imagined.

When the offense is just in the mind of the policeman - he's just looking to extort money - then yes, anyone has the right to complain about the unfairness of it all etc..

In your case however you CHOSE to buy an illegal, unregisterd motorcycle and drive it on public roads in Thailand.

If you can explain WHY you feel you were unjustly stoppped by the police then please do so!

If you cannot explain I simply suggest you stop whining and carry several loose 100 Baht notes around with you whenever you next decide to show your contempt for Thai laws.

I think that all our friend here is trying to say is thanks for nothing you complete <deleted>. You are holier than thou and offer absolutely nothing of the advise he is looking for.

I think you are a <deleted> as well. :o

[some posters] try to state western values in a country that is still a long way off from gaining that status yet

Please don't use your western values in Thailand. TIT prevails.

Your logic is invalid, not theirs.

1) Following the law is not a 'western value' on a par to what is usually accepted as 'western values'. To claim otherwise is illogical as the law exists within Thailand in principle as it does without Thailand.

2) Your reason for not following the law is 'the country is not yet as lawful as western countries'. That is an illogical reason. You seem to propose that one's lawful deeds should reflect the lawful status of the environment one lives in.

3) You are damaging the country you claim to like, you are helping to prevent it from gaining stability.

Do not place your personal values or lack thereof onto a country that is trying very hard to foster its own, more ethical, ones.

I do so hate those who post to shout 'ETHNOCENTRIC' at others and then show themselves to be as guilty of the same.

Certainly, any motorcycle-riding Farang who has used the roads in Thailand for any length of time will quite possibly eventually be pulled over by the police for some infraction - real or imagined.

I think that all our friend here is trying to say is thanks for nothing you complete <deleted>. You are holier than thou and offer absolutely nothing of the advise he is looking for.

I think you are a <deleted> as well. :o

I do not feel there is any need to resort to personal abuse!

Nor do I see any evidence in any Post that the original Poster is "asking for advise (sic)" - as far as I can see he is simply complaining because he was, quite correctly, stopped by the Police while committing an offense.

If he - or anyone else - can explain why he should NOT have been stopped and fined I am merely inviting them to do so.

Try to calm down and observe the decencies of debate.

We ended up giving the guy 500B behind a tree, but now I worry about this happening more often.

You bribed a police officer. Doesn't that mean anything to you? It's not even a "little bit" wrong, like driving 61km/h in a 60km/h zone.

You bribed a policeman for Christ's sake. Apart from being totally wrong in every sense of the word, you have just made it that little bit harder for every other farang in Thailand.

You should be deported back to wherever you came from. Thailand already has enough problems of it's own. It doesn't need idiot outsiders coming and stirring the pot even more.

You don't deserve to be allowed into Thailand.

My original post simply tells a story.

Why on earth does this clown think he has reason to complain - he is riding an illegal, unregistered, uninsured bike.
as far as I can see he is simply complaining because he was, quite correctly, stopped by the Police while committing an offense
In reading my original post again I don't see the "whining" and "complaining" you see, and YOU started the namecalling.
I would personally cheer any policeman who impounded the bike and locked the guy up for a few weeks for assuming that the Thai laws do not apply to him just because he is a Farang.
Would you cheer the policeman who did this for a Mon (or Ahka or Lisu, etc.) person or do you just have a problem with Farang?

I never said or even suggested I should not have been stopped. It's just never happened before. I value the suggestions and advice informed people have offered, and find no reason for you others to waste our time with your absolutely useless remarks about how stupid I am, etc. This is Thailand, things are different, and things are changing.

Would you be riding a bike at home without rego plates?

NO! so why do it here.

You deserve all you get.

Very true -

You cannot do that anywhere else, so why in Thailand?

Yes, Thai police is not busy so much to do that job properly, but this does not mean, that there is no law and no police in Thailand at all.

Yes, you might bribe a police officer, and maybe the next one too. But this does not mean, that you can bribe all police officers...there might be one, who does not really like your money so much....Do not ask me, what might happen in that case.

My friends living in Thailand, foreigners and Thais, they all using registrated bikes (125cc or the legally for sale Honda Phantom 200cc) -

Registration OK

Numberplate fixed OK

Driving licence OK

Passport+visa OK

Taxes, insurance paid,

Helmet on the head (and not in the front basket)

Never heard any complaint from them....

About your motorbike: if it is a problem to register it, then sell it off as junk parts, and buy something, which is legally OK

Would you be riding a bike at home without rego plates?

NO! so why do it here.

You deserve all you get.

Very true -

You cannot do that anywhere else, so why in Thailand?

Yes, Thai police is not busy so much to do that job properly, but this does not mean, that there is no law and no police in Thailand at all.

Yes, you might bribe a police officer, and maybe the next one too. But this does not mean, that you can bribe all police officers...there might be one, who does not really like your money so much....Do not ask me, what might happen in that case.

My friends living in Thailand, foreigners and Thais, they all using registrated bikes (125cc or the legally for sale Honda Phantom 200cc) -

Registration OK

Numberplate fixed OK

Driving licence OK

Passport+visa OK

Taxes, insurance paid,

Helmet on the head (and not in the front basket)

Never heard any complaint from them....

About your motorbike: if it is a problem to register it, then sell it off as junk parts, and buy something, which is legally OK

What have you been smoking?

"You cannot do that anywhere else, so why in Thailand?"

You mean thailand is the only place where this might happen? What about the 100 or so other countries where you could easily pull this off?

You should be deported back to wherever you came from. Thailand already has enough problems of it's own. It doesn't need idiot outsiders coming and stirring the pot even more.

Wow I never thought this topic would get so interesting...thanks guys! Are there REALLY people as ignorant and culturally blind as this guy? Maybe just a bored old timer looking for a flame war on the forum? Whatever...keep it coming! But really...if you are honestly shocked I bribed a police officer IN THAILAND I want to know how far your head is up your...ummm...ok...I'll be nice.

What an interesting topic :o

So I'll add my 2p worth . .

Of course you can break the law in Thailand, or bend the rules or whatever you want to call it. But the problem is that you are a Farang! That means that when you break the law you will be treated differently by the authorities from Thai law-breakers. They will immediately be aware that you might be at a linguistic disadvantage, might be ignorant of the laws (no excuse!), most likely are more wealthy than local Thais etc etc.

So you run the risk not only of incurring a heavier financial penalty than the local Thai guy, you also run the risk of being caught time and time again for any minor transgression of the law - because you have minimal rights in Thailand as a farang.

Think about it, if someone in authority takes a distinct dislike to you, then the worst scenario is that you could be deported for your very minor law-breaking.

Surely, flouting of any rules in LoS simply ain't worth the risk, or maybe you like to live dangerously :D

Wow I never thought this topic would get so interesting...thanks guys! Are there REALLY people as ignorant and culturally blind as this guy? Maybe just a bored old timer looking for a flame war on the forum? Whatever...keep it coming! But really...if you are honestly shocked I bribed a police officer IN THAILAND I want to know how far your head is up your...ummm...ok...I'll be nice.

actually a youngish Thai/Australian who is not so culturally blind, just sick of seeing Thailand the way it is.

I know a thing or two about how this country works and am not shocked by much, but I would like to see the back of people like you who do nothing but set the wrong example.

Think about it, if someone in authority takes a distinct dislike to you, then the worst scenario is that you could be deported for your very minor law-breaking.

You think someone on authority might take a disliking to a farang driving around an unregistered motorbike in Chaingmai? Enough to have him deported?

Falong, what about the French guy who stole 100 baht of cheese and is still in prison (AFAIAA). Or the Brit who stole a hotel towel and was deported.

It does happen!! If you are breaking the law then it could only take one cop to take a dislike to you and your time in LoS is up :o

Falong, what about the French guy who stole 100 baht of cheese and is still in prison (AFAIAA). Or the Brit who stole a hotel towel and was deported.

It does happen!!  If you are breaking the law then it could only take one cop to take a dislike to you and your time in LoS is up  :D

So true. The unpredictability of life here should give everyone pause.... Life can change here for anyone, in an instant...It does happen to many, sometimes innocently, too.

:o

It does happen!! If you are breaking the law then it could only take one cop to take a dislike to you and your time in LoS is up :o

Those people are thieves.

If the french guy or the towel guy had been driving aroung chiang mai on an unregistered dirtbike they would not been deported or even put in jail.