Bank (atm) & Credit Cards

Tafia

Just a query as the Nationwide B.S. have informed me that they will send to my address wherever I am in the world....so....

Has anyone encountered any problems with having replacement cards sent from their home Bank to your address in LOS?....in particular Nationwide and or any problems with the Thai postal service for safe delivery?

Edited by Tafia

I have mine sent to one of my daughters who then forwards them to me by registered post, that means it has to be signed for here, never had a problem with that. On the other hand ordinary post does go missng especially birthday and christmas cards. My cards from Nationwide used to come ordinary post in UK therefore I think it would be a bit risky sending them to Thailand unregistered.

I have mine sent to one of my daughters who then forwards them to me by registered post, that means it has to be signed for here, never had a problem with that. On the other hand ordinary post does go missng especially birthday and christmas cards. My cards from Nationwide used to come ordinary post in UK therefore I think it would be a bit risky sending them to Thailand unregistered.

Will the banks send registered?

I've never trusted the post in the past for getting credit cards as I've 'lost' so many ordinary letters in the post, so I get them sent to my UK address for picking up later. However, I was pleasantly surprised a few days ago to receive my "Hyatt Gold Passport" card from Germany without any problems.

Tafia, HSBC confirmed to me they would definitely send my bank card to my registered address. But, after an ATM swallowed my card here several months back it turns out they will not send outside the UK. I keep getting letters sent here to me stating my card is ready for collection at a UK branch though, bah!

I dont know if this is general policy or just HSBC's policy but I suggest you have some sort of back-up plan ready if you do not already have, just in case.

Tafia, HSBC confirmed to me they would definitely send my bank card to my registered address. But, after an ATM swallowed my card here several months back it turns out they will not send outside the UK. I keep getting letters sent here to me stating my card is ready for collection at a UK branch though, bah!

I dont know if this is general policy or just HSBC's policy but I suggest you have some sort of back-up plan ready if you do not already have, just in case.

Thanks Guys! It seems that may be the way forward other than managing on line and swift transferring into a Thai account...of course the other option is a holiday home every 3 years!!!

On the registering side of things, would mail sent registered from the UK be treated as such in Thailand??

Edited by Tafia

I was sent an ATM from the UK by my son after K Bank machine ate mine. Sent registered post. No-one signed for it at the house but it was delivered personally by the 'Boss of the Lands'. Was sent to him for security reasons apparently. But things are not always the same out here in the sticks as in the cities.

HSBC send mine to there Branch in Bangkok, it can then be picked up or send EMS........

You need to contact HSBC here and explain, they will then give you a name, your card is then sent to that person, 1st time I drove to BKK and went into HSBC, I had to open the UK letter with card inside in front of the Lady and sign the paper from UK + another one from HSBC Thailand + card........ 2nd time my new carrd was sent from BKK to my home by EMS, inside was the unopened letter/card from UK, a return envelope to HSBC BKK and a letter to sign and return.

Just a query as the Nationwide B.S. have informed me that they will send to my address wherever I am in the world....so....

Has anyone encountered any problems with having replacement cards sent from their home Bank to your address in LOS?....in particular Nationwide and or any problems with the Thai postal service for safe delivery?

Back in 1991 I had two (2) MasterCards swiped by the Prakanong post office people, addressed to my PO Box there.  baht 100,000 run up on both of them, and this at the old 25 = $1 rate!

Happily, due to U.S. credit card rules, I was charged nothing!

I cancelled both and had my mailing address changed to my sister in Oregon.  When a new card is in, she waits for a mule to send it out here.

Mac

My HSBC bank send my ATM cards to me by DHL (no charge).

I've had problems for 1 year receiving my HSBC credit cards in Korea, they kept going missing. When I arrived here a year ago I received replacements OK but now they have sent me new ones last month and I've not received them yet.

I think the restiction on only sending to a UK address is only when you've had some lost already as they told me that sending to Thailand is no problem.

Any cards from UK I have sent to a UK address ,my Mum who then gets a couple of data discettes old ones and tapes the cards between the discs ,like a sandwich so they feel like only discs , also they scan in checking machines as discs ...put in a stout envelope and send registered post ..same proceedure for many years ...no issues .. so far !!!!