Car Rental In Pattaya

pattayapete69

Hi all,

I am hoping to move out to Pattaya sometime in the next 6 or 7 weeks. I don't want to buy a car immediately, so would really appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of how much rental costs for a car for a couple of months would be. I don't need anything fancy or powerful.

Thanks

Peter

Hi all,

I am hoping to move out to Pattaya sometime in the next 6 or 7 weeks. I don't want to buy a car immediately, so would really appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of how much rental costs for a car for a couple of months would be. I don't need anything fancy or powerful.

Thanks

Peter

Expat Car Rent (www.expatcarrent.com/rates.html ) at the Therppasit - Theppraya intersection.

Good experience!!

try car rent shop on Pattaya Nua call Daa on 081 9948420 tell her John sent you. (nothing in it for me) great rates, best insurance, new cars, i use her on occasion when i don't want to put miles on my own car and all my friends have been very satisfied with the service.

I find Expats far too expensive, more of a tourist price if you know what I mean (I rent trucks). I know they are a sponsor but they charge OTT. How do I know ? because I live here and have tried them on numerous occasions for a quote - always too high.

Go speak to Jon at Q-Cars. Telephone 038-231- 694

Email [email protected]

Website www.qcars.net

Tell him you got his info from me if you want.

Hi all,

Thanks

Peter

i use ooddy car hire for a few reasons, 1, he's cheap, standard car like a 4 door saloon toyota vios automatic for 800/1000 (low/high season) bhat a day

if ya back a few hours late he dosent try it on for extra money as some do!

if i want to set off early am approx 6am hel_l let me have the car the night before so i can fuel it up and pack ma gear into it so in the morning im stright off!

all hes cars are not new but allok ive never had a bad one and all have cd player.

if interested he has about 3/4 cars lined up at the bottom of soi 6 on the bech road all his cars say ooddy on the top of the winscreen and his no is 0819036200

good luck

Hi all,

Thanks

Peter

peter call rita, she is almost half the price of the bigger companies and has newer vehicles with full insurance like a crv, vios,etc, her number is ( +66 ) 0817781824. drop the 0 if calling from outside thailand,.

I find Expats far too expensive, more of a tourist price if you know what I mean (I rent trucks). I know they are a sponsor but they charge OTT. How do I know ? because I live here and have tried them on numerous occasions for a quote - always too high.

Email [email protected]

Website www.qcars.net

i agree. he quoted me 32000 baht a month for a newish vigo, got a 2 month old navara for 18000, rita 0817781824

• 9 months later...

Email [email protected]

Website www.qcars.net

i agree. he quoted me 32000 baht a month for a newish vigo, got a 2 month old navara for 18000, rita 0817781824

One piece of advice.

Don't rent cars with Qcars. They say the rates include insurance but actually is just a piece of paper. If you ever happened to be in a accident you are on your own.

Spend some time in the various office digging into the details of what is and what is not covered in the 'insurance'. The price differance between companies seems to be whether they are operating on personal insurance policies or commerical insurance polices, only one of those covers you and the vehicle for rental usage, can you guess which one?

One simple test, ask the question - "If I have an accident - do I telephone you or the insurance company?"

If they insist that the call is made to them - there is something regarding the insurance that they are trying to hide.

Final thought: Always, always go round the car with a digital camera (inside & out) taking pictures of any marks to avoid any dispute when you return the car. Let 'em see you do this, shows them that you are not an easy touch.

Spend some time in the various office digging into the details of what is and what is not covered in the 'insurance'. The price differance between companies seems to be whether they are operating on personal insurance policies or commerical insurance polices, only one of those covers you and the vehicle for rental usage, can you guess which one?

One simple test, ask the question - "If I have an accident - do I telephone you or the insurance company?"

If they insist that the call is made to them - there is something regarding the insurance that they are trying to hide.

Final thought: Always, always go round the car with a digital camera (inside & out) taking pictures of any marks to avoid any dispute when you return the car. Let 'em see you do this, shows them that you are not an easy touch.

As someone who used to own a car rental business in Pattaya I would suggest you don't go on price only. Insurance is MORE important than a cheap price. Find out which company's offer RENTAL insurance. Get that list and then compare thier prices.

You will find many rental companies will tell you you are getting "First Class Insurance" which is correct, but it is PRIVATE insurance only and not RENTAL. You neeed to ask the question, "Is it rental insurance" and ask to see a copy of the policy. The policy should be in English and will say on it that it is for hire and reward or rent. I also gave Bail Bond insurance with the cars, which means if you are in an accident in which the other vehicle's passenger is killed you will be arrested and put into police cells. To get out you must post bail which is set by the police. Bail Bond cover means that the insurance company will post bail for you without you having to stomp up 200-300,000 Baht to get out of the cells.

When I owned Western Car Rentals I always put a copy of the insurance policy in the car, along with a copy of the car registration book. They also had the telephone number of the insurance company.

As an example of prices, a 3 year old Ford Laser (executive style salon car, leather seat etc.) with unlimited milage, correct insurance, would cost 25,000 Baht p/m for one month, or 21,000 Baht p/m for 2 months+. A pick up (Toyota Tiger 5 years old) 21,000 Baht p/m one month and 17,000 Baht p/m 2 months+

Be aware!!! If there is anything wrong with the insurance and you are stopped by the police, or you are in an accident, it is YOU that will have to answer the police, NOT the rental company, and particularly if the rental company is Thai owned.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by wcr

Hi Guys,

Not sure why this one has been revived, I have been living here for 8 months now, but maybe the info will be useful to some.

Peter

Didn't spot that.

Anyway, I didn't contribute to your original post, now I have, and hopefully it will help educate someone.

> Not sure why this one has been revived, I have been living here

> for 8 months now, but maybe the info will be useful to some.

Looks like it was brought back to attack one of the rental companies - what company did you go with in the end and what were your experiances?

Always nice to know what's the current situation with these firms to have one to recomend (or not).

the question how you survive in the market with these prices,most customers looking at prices first as most haveno or very little knowledge about the insurance thing,actually they most likely to want the most newish/beautiful car for the lowest price..

That thing make many car rental companies "cut costs" with private insurances..not that its right anyway.

• 1 month later...

Email [email protected]

Website www.qcars.net

One piece of advice.

Don't rent cars with Qcars. They say the rates include insurance but actually is just a piece of paper. If you ever happened to be in a accident you are on your own.

There are a lot of cheap charlies out there who want brand new cars almost for free. The result you'll see if you have a accident. Rita has no legal "Rental Car Insurance". Just the private one, which doesn't cover in case of accident. Thats the reason why budged or similar companies cost more. Not only this, international Rental cars companies have to pay tax and Vat. Locals who rent their car privatly out, they don't have to pay anything.

Rita sounds a favourite choice, on cost grounds, any other recommendations?

Like the man says "Rita has no legal "Rental Car Insurance". Just the private one, which doesn't cover in case of accident. "

Why wouldn't it cover in case of accident? Surely if it is 1st class insurance to cover "any driver" accidental damage would be covered - assuming you were driving with the owners permission, which you would be.

Why wouldn't it cover in case of accident? Surely if it is 1st class insurance to cover "any driver" accidental damage would be covered - assuming you were driving with the owners permission, which you would be.
Before I moved here and was renting cars and later pickups for trips upcountry. I shopped around all the big names and side soi tents (Third Road) that rent out cars, looking at prices and comparing notes with other people that had ventured outside Pattaya city limits over a beer :o at the start and end of my trips.

Bottom line is that if you are involved in a road traffic accident in Thailand and the police are in attendance, at the scene of the accident the police will see their role as an on the spot arbitor of blame and 'suggest' suitable amount of money to change hands to 'deal' with the problem. I would suggest from the experiance of others that the farang is seen to be the cause and take the blame for most accidents - if for no other reason that the accident would not have happened had the farang not been in the country, Thai Logic at it's finest! Also you are more likely to be looking to leave the country at the end of your holiday, so are seen as someone that will probably pay to make a problem go away.

So if involved in an accident that is going to cost a lot of money; damage to the hire car, damage to the third party, something for their loss of income while the repair is being done and the 'service fee' from the police, plus any offical fines. You see that getting the insurance people involved to sort it out will be wise, you are paying for the insurance so use it right?

Now the kicker. Private auto-insurance in Thailand is just like farang-land, stamped on the insurance certificate in Thai is the phrase, "Not for hire or rental", or words to that affect. Those words make the insurance cover void if the vehicle was hired at the time of the accident. That is why I said earlier - ask the company if they want you to call them or the insurance company directly if you have an accident.

It's not about, "...driving with the owners permission, which you would be. ..." this just means that you have not stolen the vehicle.

HTH

Now the kicker. Private auto-insurance in Thailand is just like farang-land, stamped on the insurance certificate in Thai is the phrase, "Not for hire or rental", or words to that affect. Those words make the insurance cover void if the vehicle was hired at the time of the accident.

HTH

That being the case, presumably you just lose your deposit with the renter - chai mai ?

Hi all,

Thanks

Peter

I've tried renting in Pattaya but now I'd recommend a BKK company - Thairentacar.Office beside the airport,open 24 hours,proper rental insurance. New Honda Jazz - 23.000 Baht for 1 month.

Pick the car up at the airport and return to the airport,so convenient. Only problem it's the base version of the Jazz - no airbag.

Apart from the Insurance concerns all of the companies in Pattaya charge extra to pick you up at the airport and most don't allow a drop-off at the airport.

Now the kicker. Private auto-insurance in Thailand is just like farang-land, stamped on the insurance certificate in Thai is the phrase, "Not for hire or rental", or words to that affect. Those words make the insurance cover void if the vehicle was hired at the time of the accident.

HTH

That being the case, presumably you just lose your deposit with the renter - chai mai ?

your deposit will be the least of your problems compared with having to pay for the damage to any other vehicle out of your own pocket or maybe massive compensation for bodily injuries or death of other parties :o

Well yes ideally - I can see what you are thinking, drive off into the sunset with the bunnies sitting happily on the grassy knoll drop off the car and depart. Sadly this is Thailand.

If you have read any news reports of traffic accidents or seen the news items on television you will see that it is very common after a serious incident that the driver of any vehicle involved is likely to flee the scene, never wondered why?

It is the practice of Thai police to arrest 'likely' suspects at the scene and detain them in the cells until the matter is resolved. The feature on the auto insurance policy that allows you to return home to your partner and family etc. without having to remain on a diet of boiled rice under police detention is the bail bond. IMHO the most important feature of any auto insurance. Yes this is a worst case situation and hopefully will never happen to me or anyone reading this forum, however accidents do happen while driving around Thailand.

From what I have seen heard about here it is a gamble as to whether private not for hire insurance will pay out when the vehicle has been rented out on a commerical basis and then involved in an accident. I can only assume like many things here an 'arrangement' is reached where the insurance agent called to the scene agrees to process the claim via the company for a small fee as this is probably not 100% legal the police might also be interested - and that can be read to mean anything you choose to.

Thai law will look to the driver of the vehicle that 'caused' the accident, not the vehicle's owner - generally I would say that the average Thai witness to any accident will support a fellow national before saying the farang was without blame. Those are the factors that drove me to find out about the insurance cover when I rented cars and last year when I bought my own pickup here.

As an aside for rental cars themselves - better companies look after their cars better - windshield wipers are replaced when worn out as are tires, stuff like that is a real pain to deal with on the road when you are on vacation. (Personal experiance of fixing headlight beam angles with a multi-tool knife late at night.)

....oh almost forgot - if the rental company can't claim from the insurance company they will seek damages from you and they generally take a copy of your TM6 number - so you could be detained at the airport when you try to leave. :o

If I'm wrong on any point here - please correct me.

Edited by Cuban

I have been a Q Cars customer for over 2 years, always 4-door pickups and never a bad deal yet. Never had a prang and I have driven well over 30000km. When I had a flat battery, the mobile assistance that is part of their service were there within 30 minutes and replaced the battery. If you rent from a private owner, they may come and swap out with another used battery or, as was my experience years ago when local professional car rental businesses were unknown, refused to reimburse me for a new battery that I was compelled to purchase when the original died in Chantaburi. If they are cheap on a car battery, they won't be digging deep to help you when you have a major mechanical failure never mind a fender bender. IMHO, they will probably take the stance of the bad jet-ski operator and say you caused the (for example) air conditioning to fail by 'using it too much'.

Proper RENTERS insurance is very, very important. This has been emphasised in this thread by someone who used to own a car rental business but seems inexplicably lost on those who still can't see the benefit of having such beyond losing their deposit if they decide to 'save money' and rent someone's personally insured car. Neither you or the driver are covered if you rent out your personally insured car in [insert any western country here] so why do you think Thai insurance should be different?

Regarding airport pick-up and drop-off. Until Thailands primary international airport has proper 'on airport' car rental service and support such as courtesy desks inside the terminals and regular shuttle buses, I will still use AOT to come from the airport and Pattaya Limo to go to the airport. Thus my car rental 'hassles' start and end in my driveway in Pattaya since Q Cars will agree to do local drop-off and collection. Much better than looking for a stranger with your name on a signboard on arrival after a long flight and getting in and out of some shuttle car with your bags at some fairly remote office and vice versa on the return.

Rita sounds a favourite choice, on cost grounds, any other recommendations?

Like the man says "Rita has no legal "Rental Car Insurance". Just the private one, which doesn't cover in case of accident. "

The answer is easy. You have paid to rent the car. It is a RENTAL car and not a private car. Therefore it must have RENTAL insurance.

If anyone chooses to rent a car just on price and don't care about the insurance cover then frankly they deserve everything that will be coming to them.

Well yes ideally - I can see what you are thinking, drive off into the sunset with the bunnies sitting happily on the grassy knoll drop off the car and depart. Sadly this is Thailand.

Thanks for that - I can now see how naiive I was.

So, back to the practicalities - I am probably now going Suvarnabhumi to Buriram then to Pattaya. It seems that Thairentacar may offer the best option with BKK collection and Pattaya return.

Anyone have experience with these people, or anyone else from Swampy ?

Thanks for that - I can now see how naiive I was.

So, back to the practicalities - I am probably now going Suvarnabhumi to Buriram then to Pattaya. It seems that Thairentacar may offer the best option with BKK collection and Pattaya return.

Anyone have experience with these people, or anyone else from Swampy ?

Look at my reply posting #21. I'm renting a Honda Jazz from Thairentacar at the moment. I've used them 3 times in the past 2 years. They have a website "Thairentacar". I'm not sure if you can drop the a car off in Pattaya. I'll PM you if you want with my experience of the company.

Hi all,

Thanks

Peter

hi peter, cal rita on 0817781824 she is by far the cheapest for long term, i had a toyota vigo for 18000 a monrth, all her cars are 1/2 years old,.insurance is first class

Email [email protected]

Website www.qcars.net

One piece of advice.

There are a lot of cheap charlies out there who want brand new cars almost for free. The result you'll see if you have a accident. Rita has no legal "Rental Car Insurance". Just the private one, which doesn't cover in case of accident. Thats the reason why budged or similar companies cost more. Not only this, international Rental cars companies have to pay tax and Vat. Locals who rent their car privatly out, they don't have to pay anything.

i just called rita to confirm and she said she does have a rental car policy for all her cars, .i have no financial interest here whatsover but i have rented off her for 3 years on and off, had 2 accidents,( not my fault ) paid nothing out myself,.ill stick with her based on experience,.

my latest deal,

We, Avis Rent A Car Thailand, would like to propose you the special promotion rate which is the best offer available on the market for your kind consideration. This Prepaid Monthly Rate is effective from now until

31 October 2008 and detail is as follow:

MONTHLY RATE FOR SELF DRIVE RENTAL/ BAHT

Type of Vehicle Monthly Rate

(Per month)

Toyota Vios or similar 1.5 Manual 14,999

Toyota Vios or similar 1.5 Automatic 17,999

Honda Jazz or similar 1.5 Automatic 17,999

Toyota Altis or similar 1.6 Automatic 23,113

Toyota Altis or similar 1.8 Automatic 27,285

New Toyota Camry 2.0 Automatic 44,940

Toyota Innova or similar 2.0 Automatic 41,730

Toyota Fortuner 2.7 Automatic 43,335