Marriage In Thailand

Henning Karlsen

Hello from Vienna!

I have only a small question concerning marriage in Thailand.I have so fare collected the dokuments need from Norway since I am Norwegian citizen and passportholder.

Question: Do I have to bring with me a translated divorce document added to the documents I have?

I ask because there is not one translator in Noway translating from Norwegian to Thai that the Norwegian Foreign Ministry accept or autorize.This means that the Norwegian Foreign ministry will not legalize a translation form Norwegian into Thai made in Norway.I have a written confirmation of this fact.

2.If I am asked can I use a German translation and let this be translated into Thai?

Some people are telling me I don't need to translate the divorce documents from Norway,others are telling that some Amphoe's are never the less asking for these documents

If somebody can tell answer the question above I will be very grateful.

Best Regards

Henning Karlsen

Am sure someone from Norway, there seem to be a lot, can provide better information but are you sure that you do not want to have it translated and then registered at the Thai Foreign Ministry? If that is the case the Royal Thai Embassy should be able to advise who could translate for you. But I have never had to deal with divorce papers so could be wrong.

All the thai authorities need to register your marriage is a translated affirmation from your embassy. An affirmation is a confirmation that you are eligible to marry. It is your embassy which accesses your eligibilty, and i'm sure that your embassy has norwegian speakers, so i'm pretty sure you do not need to translate your divorce certificate. To be sure, go your embassy in thailand's website and e-mail them to check.

The u.k embassy says that the transalted affirmation is enough in most cases, and no other documents are requires by the amphur offices.

I had no such problem, I just took the divorce paper to the British Embassy and they produced a document in English giving me the freedom to marry in Thailand. I had this translated into Thai and signed it, then I was able to marry. Is there not a Norweigen embassy in BK that operates the same system?

You will need to show the embassy an "Ekteskapsattest" from Norway.

It is "Folkeregisteret" which write this for you and they will ask for see the divorce attest from your previous marriage.

If the divorce attest is legal they will sign the "ekteskaps attest" and of you go.

If you still are married, and it is not clear for the "Folkeregisteret" that you are divorced, but intend to married again, they will probably write that on the "Ekteskapsattest" and I guess that can be difficult to explain for the Embassy.

You dont need to transelate Norwegian documents to English or Thai as long as it is at the Embassy you shall show them.

Good Luck.

:o

It is your embassy which accesses your eligibilty

Isn't the affirmation simpy so that your home government will prosecute you for a perjury-related offence if you lie?

Different country's embassies require different documentation before they issue the affirmation. The u.k embassy only ask for your passport and any divorce papers, and then you just sign the affirmation. With other embassies i heard that they do more rigourous checks and ask for proof of address back home. so the affirmation may have different purposes from country to country.

Hello again from Vienna!

Thank you for the answers! You confirm actually what I thought myself.I still asked in this forum because I have received some confusing information from two different Thai Embassy.(Norway and Austria)All documents is allready ok from Norway and our embassy in BKK will also sign the affirmation or "marriage application" but then I received a confusing phonecall from the Thai Embassy in Vienna.And since I live outside Norway.......,I didn't want to be to ignorant.I could have overlooked something.But again,thank you for your answers.

Best Regards

Henning K

• 2 months later...

Hello from Vienna!

Thank you for all answers.We got married on October th 5th in Yasothon and up to now we have met no problems anywhere.We need to register the marriage in Norway even I live in Vienna I was told.I am trying to get this done at the Norwegian Embassy in Vienna.Hopefully they will accept the German translations we had to make since my wife will apply for visa for Austria.(I have only two originals but would liked it better if I had three)

Best Regards

Henning