Taxi

Boater

i will be in pattaya sat and sunday.. i have 3 buiness meetings.... all in the south/north pattaya area.. I was thinking of renting a car, but not sure the roads in the pattaya area, thus i was thinking of just using taxi's..... but do the taxi's in pattya use thier metres????? and do they generally honest drivers, or do the try to rip you off....

Thanks

There are no taxi meters in Pattaya. There is a strong need for taxi meters in Pattaya. The reason there are no taxi meters in Pattaya is the BAHT BUS MAFIA.

Baht Busses are great. 10 Baht will get you almost anywhere.

10 baht providing you are just jumping in the back of one and on one of the "routes" around town.

If you are going off the beaten track then chartering one will cost you more.............but never more than 100 baht maximum.

If you are going off the beaten track then chartering one will cost you more.............but never more than 100 baht maximum.

This is 100 percent false. The baht bus drivers when doing charters quite often demand and get MUCH MORE than 100 baht! 100 baht is the starting point and is charged for even very short rides.

This is a mafia, folks. By distance covered, the baht buses when chartered are extremely more expensive than Bangkok taxis, and yet you are riding around in an open truck rather than an aircon taxi car.

The situation with the BAHT BUS MAFIA is indeed the biggest negative aspect about living in Pattaya. It forces many people to buy motos and cars when they normally wouldn't have to, just so they don't have to deal with these thugs.

BTW, the baht buses work great when used as BUSES on the main routes, but as taxis charters they are totally crappy.

Who is blocking taxi meters as a transport OPTION in Pattaya? Who do you think????

Edited by Jingthing

This is 100 percent false. The baht bus drivers when doing charters quite often demand and get MUCH MORE than 100 baht! 100 baht is the starting point and is charged for even very short rides.

This is a mafia, folks. By distance covered, the baht buses when chartered are extremely more expensive than Bangkok taxis, and yet you are riding around in an open truck rather than an aircon taxi car.

The situation with the BAHT BUS MAFIA is indeed the biggest negative aspect about living in Pattaya. It forces many people to buy motos and cars when they normally wouldn't have to, just so they don't have to deal with these thugs.

BTW, the baht buses work great when used as BUSES on the main routes, but as taxis charters they are totally crappy.

Who is blocking taxi meters as a transport OPTION in Pattaya? Who do you think????

I agree they are horrible, dangerous, and uncomfortable. Many is the time I have returned from Bangkok with its pleasant taxi meters where I sit with back support and a seat belt in air conditioned comfort for a third or less than a chartered Baht Bus. It is bad enough to make us consider moving.

kdf

i will be in pattaya sat and sunday.. i have 3 buiness meetings.... all in the south/north pattaya area.. I was thinking of renting a car, but not sure the roads in the pattaya area, thus i was thinking of just using taxi's..... but do the taxi's in pattya use thier metres????? and do they generally honest drivers, or do the try to rip you off....

Thanks

As torrenova suggested, your hotel should be able to hook you up with a private car with driver for a short-term rental. Easier to have a driver take the strain of battling the traffic and finding a parking spot.

You can ignore the rants that your post initially attracted as I doubt it is relevant to your situation.

Thanks

If you need to do a lot of running around over many hours, it may be a good idea to hire a private car.

I book my airport taxis through Mr-T, maybe you could contact them for a price. They charge me 900 baht (tolls included) for a private car to the airport so I wouldn't think they are too expensive to hire for 3 or 4 hours around Pattaya.

There are many travel and tour companies around the area. Most of them have a car and driver available for things like this.Some baht bus drivers are also available to charter for the entire day. Myself and a few friends chartered one for 1,500 baht. That was early afternoon until the bars closed so not really an outrageous price at all.

I completely agree. I had an emergency and needed a ride quickly from Soi Khaonoi to beach road. (15 minutes.) Baht bus was the first thing available. 300 baht!!! I do not argue with the locals due to a violent experience, but these blue trucks are ruining a good thing. Being I am a foreigner I cannot do anything but strike.

You didn't call them, did you? Why would you compare them to Bangkok Taxi meters? Don't be silly.

You would compare them to hiring a songthaew or a comparable limo service.

So, if you were serious, you would call or email them with information about your destination for a quote.

The local prices are not on their website.

There are no taxi meters in Pattaya. There is a strong need for taxi meters in Pattaya. The reason there are no taxi meters in Pattaya is the BAHT BUS MAFIA.

Baht Busses are great. 10 Baht will get you almost anywhere.

10 baht providing you are just jumping in the back of one and on one of the "routes" around town.

To hire to get to BPH from Jomthien usually costs me 200 baht, sometimes 150.

And all dressed up for business meetings, and drivers knowing you are green, God alone knows what they might charge.

BTW if you speak about "baht bus" to Thais chances are they won't know what you are talking about. Thais say "rot sawng thao" (that's how it sounds to me).

Have a nice stay here and take my advice and hire a car and driver. I can give you 3 phone numbers of very nice guys who will probably charge 200 baht per hour, maybe less.

I often go to Pattaya and wonder why I can travel from the bus terminal to any hotel by bahtbus for about 20 Baht but............ when going the other way (from hotel to bus terminal it costs 100 Baht. I have tried to argue many times but nothing helps.

I often go to Pattaya and wonder why I can travel from the bus terminal to any hotel by bahtbus for about 20 Baht but............ when going the other way (from hotel to bus terminal it costs 100 Baht. I have tried to argue many times but nothing helps.

Do they pick up any other passengers on the way to the hotel and conversely on the way to the bus station?

Maybe their (perverse) logic is when leaving the bus station and headed back into town, they can stop and pick up fares on the way or are getting back onto the regular circular 'routes' on beach road and #2 road. Whereas they consider the trip from the hotel to the bus station an individual hire? Or maybe when they get out to the bus station, they have to get in line to get a fare back into town so mark up the outward excursion to make up for that time lost waiting for a fare back into town.

You tell me.

i love every aspect of this city, but i would love to have proper taxi's like BKK. i would never use the bike at night. the baht bus system is great if you live on main roads.

hopefully in the future things will change. id rather be safe and pay more then take a baht bus. the stopping every 30 seconds is also the reason for congestion on second and beach road.

however, their bloody cheap

Thanks

Get to your first appointment any way you can - if you are coming from Bangers / wherever.

Then ask the secretary of your client to find you a car with driver for the other appointments.

Or, if you are coming down the night before, ask your hotel to get you a one-day limo hire, with driver.

Charge it all to expenses.

Go home happy thast you have accomplished all your business in a business-like manner.

Do not rely on Pattaya normal public services to operate in a way that is beneficial to anyone but the operator.

Too expensive. :o My link is much more reasonable.

Image Limo have good service, I've used them, but they are more expensive than they need to be.

2600 baht for a airport ride when Limo Pattaya are 1200 baht. Fine if it's on expenses. If I'm paying, I know where my money is going.

http://www.thelimopattaya.com/

http://www.imagelimo.com/

Do they pick up any other passengers on the way to the hotel and conversely on the way to the bus station?

Maybe their (perverse) logic is when leaving the bus station and headed back into town, they can stop and pick up fares on the way or are getting back onto the regular circular 'routes' on beach road and #2 road. Whereas they consider the trip from the hotel to the bus station an individual hire? Or maybe when they get out to the bus station, they have to get in line to get a fare back into town so mark up the outward excursion to make up for that time lost waiting for a fare back into town.

You tell me.

I can understand your logic and accept the idea if they go directly from the hotel to the bus station without picking other people up but I usually walk to the main road (#2 road) and stop a passing baht bus. More often than not there are other people in the bus and others get in and out on the route. Often the bus will park at the bus station after dropping us off and wait for other passengers.

(Maybe it's headwind going to the bus station and they use more petrol.)