Anybody Used Cat Telecom As An Isp?

rychrde

Hi

have done a search on here and can't find anything.

Anybody have experience of using CAT Telecom Ltd as an ISP? Amazingly they have an office here in Sakaeo and want to go check them out as am thoroughly sick of TOTal shiTTT telcos.

CAT seem to manage Thailand's routers so there's hope their service gets priority over the other telcos.

Just to see how crap Thailand's connectivity is to the rest of the world check out

http://www.cat.net.th/thix/connectivitymap.html

and this is Thailand's internet map

http://www.cat.net.th/internetmap/bigmap.html

if I'm reading it correctly, CAT have about half the bandwidth of TOT, yet I assume only a fraction of TOT customers.

any info appreciated

thanks

rych

Sorry Reimar, CAT does direct internet!

They even put out a dedicated cable to your house, which carries only the adsl (or sdsl) signal.

You can find their packages here

If you already have a TT&T phoneline you can take the T-speed package (2mbps for 999/month)

Unfortunate NOT in Samut Prakarn!! I mean Internet services from CAT because I just checked that 2 weeks ago with CAT! The Answer for that question at HQ of CAT: "We're sorry Sir but CAT didn't sell Internet Services in Thailand!" which means for me not any Service as ISP in Thailand!

But you know like me that many things happens which should not and mony not which should!

Edit:

Question monty: Is the ADSL/SDL service Line you got for Data only or include Telephone services as well?

Edited by Reimar

We have a couple of G.SHDSL lines, they work very well. 2.3Mb synchronous. Costs around 3,500 baht a month including renting a G.SHDSL modem - you can't use a standard ADSL modem. You can't make voice calls on the line either, it's only for data. They do free installation as well.

It's an corporate account and XDSL. Public (private) accounts limited to 512 kbps upload.

True, but it doesn't really matter, since they sell you whatever service you want with just a copy of your passport! No company or any other paperwork required...

Thanks a lot everyone. Looks like I may have lucked out! I mean in having CAT services in a sleepy town like Sakaeo. The computer guy next door confirms CAT do have ISP services here, tho as I said, he swears by TOT.

I'll post here after I've gone in and spoken to them to see what they offer. They don't seem to overly advertise their ISP services, but I guess as a backbone provider (like Cisco) they don't really care who you go with.

rych

From what I've gathered from the ADSL forums, their service is generally good. Not great, but good. This was from about a year ago. Their GSHDSL service is interesting, in that it offers symmetric 2/2mbit speeds at competitive prices.

Ditto.

I had a manager of an internet cafe strongly recommend CAT over TOT/TT&T's offerings.

Because I didn't choose that location to live, I ended up with a Maxnet acct, which is still acceptable, now that they've finished with their latest upgrade cycle and have gotten most of the bugs out...