Setting Up An Ip Camera

ZZZ

I'm setting up an IP camera but have run into a problem with port forwarding. Maxnet seems to block just about every port. Does anyone have an idea what ports can be used?

The IP camera manual said to use 8888 but this is blocked by MaxNet, any suggestions?

are you sure they are blocking 8888 ? I can see them blocking incoming requests on port 80 to stop you running a webserver .

I could not connect using port 8888. Then I used http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to check the port and it was not available. I guess I could use this site to go through all the ports but it would take a lot of time so if anyone have a clue on what port to use I would be very happy.

according to this list

http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/

napster is listed on 8888 - so maybe they are blocking incoming connections for 8888.

you have 65535 to chose from , pick a number - try 550

I still would make sure you have port forwarding set up correctly if you still encounter a problem.

I tried 550 but no luck. If I use a VPN I can get access using 8888 but that means I have to use my laptop with the VPN software to access and that is not really what I was looking for, that would also confirm that my port forwarding is correct.

what is the browser error you are getting - I am assuming you are trying to access a webserver on the IP cam.

you are able to access a VPN server on your network with a VPN client on your laptop from outside the router ? what is the VPN client you are using ? does it initiate the connection via a request to the specified port number or does it utilize another method . ie. router traversal via web authentication like logmein ?

unless your ISP is blocking incoming HTTP requests , I find it strange you are having a problem.

what is the browser error you are getting - I am assuming you are trying to access a webserver on the IP cam.

you are able to access a VPN server on your network with a VPN client on your laptop from outside the router ? what is the VPN client you are using ? does it initiate the connection via a request to the specified port number or does it utilize another method . ie. router traversal via web authentication like logmein ?

unless your ISP is blocking incoming HTTP requests , I find it strange you are having a problem.

The errors I get is from IE:

The webpage cannot be displayed

Most likely cause:

Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed

From Firefox:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at XXXXX.dyndns.org:8888.

I have not tried to access from outside the router but as far as I can see when using the VPN and the URL given by dyndsn, I can access the camera ok, it is much slower than if I access the camera direct, as expected.

The VPN I use is Open VPN

So, as you say, there is 65535 ports to try if I want to go without the VPN, the problem is finding out which will work?

Just to explain what I want to do.

I would like to have one, or more, cameras in my apartment. These are WiFi IP cameras that could be positioned anywhere where there is a power source. The cameras will then transmit the audio/video to my WiFi router/ADSL modem. I would then like to access my modem from where ever I am, without having a PC in my apartment.

what you are proposing to do should be no problem - there are many IP cameras out there fixed and Pan/Zoom/Tilt

set a static IP on your camera , choose a port number for the inbuilt webserver , set up dydns on your router , forward an outside port to the IP/port on your camera and it should be fine.

I have heard of ISPs blocking incoming http requests on port 80 to stop people running a webserver , but not blocking all the ports to incoming http requests.

you should check with the ISP or change to a new ISP.

what you are proposing to do should be no problem - there are many IP cameras out there fixed and Pan/Zoom/Tilt

set a static IP on your camera , choose a port number for the inbuilt webserver , set up dydns on your router , forward an outside port to the IP/port on your camera and it should be fine.

I have heard of ISPs blocking incoming http requests on port 80 to stop people running a webserver , but not blocking all the ports to incoming http requests.

you should check with the ISP or change to a new ISP.

I'm a novice in these kind of things but as everything works fine using the VPN I can only explain the problem as the ISP blocking the port. I will give it a try to check with MaxNet on what port I should use but given that this is Thailand it's not going to be easy :o

some shop that sell these ip cameras actualy told you that u need to request it for FIX IP and add money to your ISP.

Is this the case?

In theory this is correct but you can use free services like dyndns or no-ip to get around this, that is what I'm trying to do.

the VPN server you are connceting to with your laptop , is that running on the router itself or on another computer/appliance behind the router?

The VPN software is running on my laptop using the openVPN server.

Anyway, like I said I had not tested this yet from outside my router. I have no connected using a GPRS card in my laptop and it all works fine, without using the VPN, using port 8888.

I can now connect my laptop to my WiFi camera via my WiFi ADSL router without having a PC running in my apartment and without a fixed IP address.

Thanks for help.