When You Finally Moved To Thailand . . .

simon43

Some people I know shipped over their entire household goods in containers, some came with nothing.

I arrived here with my trusty old laptop, my amateur radio receiver and . . that was about it!!

My previous life in the UK revolved around a 4-wheel car (or 2!), a mansion in the countryside and the like.

After 5 years in LoS, I can count my 'material goods' on the fingers of 2 hands - not more than that. Yet I have a happy marriage, lovely kids and a growing business. I don't miss the million pound house, nor the Merc.

How about you?

Simon

I moved here in steps bringing over the contents of two suitcases three times. Mostly critical personal papers and sentimental objects from my past life and travels. Very little at all of utilitarian things like toasters and household effects. This worked out fine, but my place is now pretty much as cluttered as where I came from. Oh well.

Edited by Jingthing

Where the h3ll can you buy decent underpants in Thailand? :o

you can't. sooner or later my wife will fly to New York, eat her favourite pizza and by underwear, t-shirts and socks for me and hopefully not get mugged.

Edited by Dr. Naam

Brought a laptop, an ipod, a camera, and some clothes.

And don't what you people are talking about regarding the underpants situation, the boxer shorts I buy here in Thailand are wonderful. Not sure about the tighty whities though. :o

^ Same :D. Computer + passport + decent underpants.

Haha... I always bring back two value packs when I go to the US. Same for my socks... in fact I rarely ever buy clothes here. Even my shirts are bought in HK...

^ Same :D . Computer + passport + decent underpants.

Haha... I always bring back two value packs when I go to the US. Same for my socks... in fact I rarely ever buy clothes here. Even my shirts are bought in HK...

4 big jars of marmite ,when i came there was none in thailand ,now tops sell it :D

I came with a tennis shoulder bag with clothes, and a a towel.

I still recall the moment I first bought something that WOULDN'T fit in there and would therefore always remain a part of 'my life in Thailand'. I DID actually realize it at the time: I'm getting settled, the nomadic days are over!!

lol you sound like mr boo samran. he is stockpiling tools & various other bloke things which can be bought for much cheaper during sales & much better quality (his opinion) in the UK & wont let me get rid of any spare furniture like 2 sofa beds as he plans to ship it all when we finally return. gets a bit much though but i can see the benefit of the tools as he will need them & it's better to buy gradually rather than have a massive expense on our relocation. thak god I have a double garage tho as I couldn't live with it all.

I did it twice. The first time I brought TOO much. After looking at everything I brought I wondered why I had thought it was worth the $1,500 to get it here.

The second time I brought things that I couldn't find here before. Good quality hand tools and a couple of socket sets in metric and inch. I also brought my favorite stainless steel steamer and basket with me, and of course my trusty laptop computer.

Where the h3ll can you buy decent underpants in Thailand?

[\quote]

OT but I always buy my underwear in gay shops!! This is because I understand that women like a guy in decent underwear, as opposed to grey, washed out Y-fronts. So, (even when I lived in the UK), I would always go to gay shops to make my purchases because they sold some decent kit. (I'm not talking about thongs with leather straps on them etc - just nicely fashioned, expensive knickers!)

Simon

Where the h3ll can you buy decent underpants in Thailand?

OT but I always buy my underwear in gay shops!! This is because I understand that women like a guy in decent underwear, as opposed to grey, washed out Y-fronts. So, (even when I lived in the UK), I would always go to gay shops to make my purchases because they sold some decent kit. (I'm not talking about thongs with leather straps on them etc - just nicely fashioned, expensive knickers!)

Simon

Great tip. Strangely, the best boxers I've ever worn were cotton ones either from Wallmart in the US, or the 'George' line by ASDA in the UK (also owned by Wallmart). The cheap ones are often the best!!

I was in the UK for work 10 months ago, and the only 'personal' thing I did for myself was drop by an ASDA to pick up 2 years supply of cotton boxers. My wife thinks I am mad, but at least I don't walk around with a wegie each day now.

cleared out two homes (left the third one untouched) and shipped the content in a 60' high cube container to Thailand.

60' (18m) never seen one of those before. The largest I have used is 45'.

Cheers

sorry! i always mix up the shipped cubic meters with the size of the container. :o

Where the h3ll can you buy decent underpants in Thailand? :D

Why bother wearing them? Go 'au naturiel' old man! :o

Ooch, ouch! Couldn't do that! I like my tackle to be well-controlled and held firmly in place! :D

OT but I always buy my underwear in gay shops!! This is because I understand that women like a guy in decent underwear, as opposed to grey, washed out Y-fronts.

I only wear Y-fronts. The problem with all the Thai made ones is there is just not enough room for everything in the pouch! Some of the Thai ones don't even have a pouch! They look like Y-fronts but they're just panties with a slit! Everything overflows and oozes out the sides - very uncomfortable! :bah:

But the worst Thai made Y-fronts have two slits - one on the inside on the left, and one on the outside on the right. So in order to pee you have to go left, U-turn back to the right and then out. Impossible! :D

2 suitcases and 2 tea chest size boxes - most of that was filled with the wifes stuff!

I could of easily used a 1 suitcase, laptop and camera bag!

However the most important item (my guitar) I've only just shipped over here. The chinese copies and other yamahas just couldn't compete with my Peavey EVH . . original US version not the Korea ones . . it's been part of my furniture and life for the past 10 years . . it's the best guitar I've ever owned and it'll be a part of my life for the rest of my years and might (if he's lucky!) get past down to my forthcoming son at some point.

:o

I brought some clothes, trainers, shorts etc.

Bought computer stuff here.

You can get 100% boxers in decent sizes in Carrefour and even Tesco I believe now. I have some from Carrefour and I also thought I would be making an overseas trip to buy new supplies. That said, you can get stuff from Marks and Spencers in Singapore though I doubt they have the larger sizes.

Where the h3ll can you buy decent underpants in Thailand? :D

Why bother wearing them? Go 'au naturiel' old man! :o

I don't recommend that.

The warm weather and ample eye candy here can cause you to be walking around with a semi-woody half the time. I know it did for me the first few weeks I was here, even when I wore baggies. It's especially embarassing if you are of 'above-average endowment'. The Thais frown on such 'indecency', anyway.

Try Tesco or Carrefour. They carry a few imported brands with western sizing. Just bought a set of 3, all-cotton bikini briefs, size XL (that's more of a western L, actually) in the thin wastband style for only 149B. Good support for my tackle, yet very comfortable. Wish I had switched to them earlier.

I don't recommend boxers with pants, either (except for wearing around the house by themselves). No support and too hot for this climate.

cleared out two homes (left the third one untouched) and shipped the content in a 60' high cube container to Thailand.

60' (18m) never seen one of those before. The largest I have used is 45'.

Cheers

sorry! i always mix up the shipped cubic meters with the size of the container. :o

I've never seen a 60' (3 TEU) but 20', 40', 45',48' and 53' are fairly common.