Sending money

maxpower

Do any of you guys send money to a Thai girlfriend to help support her. If so how much do you send each week/month.

I took my brother to Thai at Christmas, he met a girl fell in love and now sends her $200 US each month. She lives with here famiy in a small village.

I have given girls money before leaving but never sent on a regualr basis. Personally I think $200 is too much.

Sounds about right to me if he expects her to stay at home.  With this amount she could probably have enough to support herself and family but not have too much extra.  If she has experienced the ways and spending of the nightlife crowd it would probably not be anywhere near enough.

My wife and I support her parents who live in a village in the north. 36000 baht does them for a whole year (two old people living in their own house). We asked them how much they needed and this is what they quoted. The only time we have sent extra is when my father-in-law needed special medical care at a private hospital.

It depends on what lifestyle they need/want to maintain. :o

How long is a piece of string?

Too many variables in this question.

1) What job was she doing before he decided to support her?

2) How much was she earning?

3) How much was she spending?

4) How many of her family is he also supporting?

If the answer to 1) is bar girl, exotic dancer or the like then there are extra questions.

4) How many other farangs are also sending her money? (the answer probably is not zero).

5) How much are they sending her?

6) Does he want to "one up" the other farangs to become "the preferred"

Also bear in mind that your brother will want to communicate with her once a day, my G/F spends anything upto 3000 baht a month on text and sending mail.

The issue really is what long term plans does he have?  If he intends to relocate and live and work in Thailand then it is money well spent because he will have the help and support of a girl he loves, if on the other hand if he only intends to go out on vacation a couple of times a year my advice is STOP NOW.

Sev

Oh here here Sevinow and Brian. How many people are sending their ex-bar fly (ha ha) G/F their hard earned cash thinking she is using it to live on and not working! I've heard stories of girls earning furtunes from these wallies. Girls with houses that their two-week-a-year boyfriends never see (only their pokey little flat that they use for 'special' occasions like his visit!). Some have husbands too.

Only support her if you two are serious, and I mean serious, not "we really fell in love in the 3 days we knew each other for, she said I was different and as it was her first night on the game anyway she would gladly give it up for me, she really cares for me...." twaddle.

Why does she need the money? How did she survive before? If you are not married, and not living together and she is not caring for your kid (or carrying it), why support her? Would you if you had a G/F in your own country?

Another thing. Did she ask you for the money? If so, see above. If not, will you offend her by sending it to her?

Sorry to be so blunt and sceptical, but look through this site and see how many figers have been severly roasted.

Thanks for your replies. These and those posted at another board have helped me persuade my brother not send more money. He returns to Thai in a few weeks and hopefully this will help him decide where the future goes.

His girlfriend is not an ex bar girl. He met her in the north while on a few days walk about trip. I think the money sent gets distributed amongst the family. I get the feeling this is doing them no good at all as before my brother came on the scene they were managing quite well working the land.

His girlfriend is not an ex bar girl.

May I change your wording to 'He didn't meet her in a bar'

Where do you think all the bar girls come from if it isn't up north ??

Your brother has only known her for a few days he does not know her true history.