Where's The Smoke Coming From?

borracho

isnt it too early for the indonesia smoke?

i thought it was low lying cloud? and i cant smell anything either, so not sure if its smoke. maybe i need to get out and have a good sniff!

I agree, can't smell anything, but the visibility in Thalang is pretty poor and it certainly doesn't look like fog.

From Phuket Gazette...

PHUKET: Unusually hazy conditions over the island today are normal and not the result of any forest fires in the region, Phuket’s top meteorologist says.

Wiwat Intarapanich, Chief of Weather Forecasting at the Meteorological Department’s Southern Meteorological Center (West Coast), told the Gazette this afternoon that the haze is normal for the southern region at this time of year and marks the beginning of the transition from the rainy to dry season.

“We have had a lot of calls asking about the origin of the haze,” he noted.

The haze is the result of a cold air mass extending down from China and mixing with warm moist ocean air, he explained.

Atmospheric conditions are expected to improve within a few days, though heavy rains could bring about a more rapid improvement, he said.

“Visibility is still about 4-5 kilometers and thus does not warrant restrictions on air or sea travel,” he said.

The 24-hour weather forecast starting from 5 pm today predicts for continued haze with scattered thundershowers covering about 60% of the area and isolated heavy rains. Northeasterly winds prevail at 15-35 kmh and offshore wave height at 1-2 meters.

Just came back from the weekend in Koh Sok where i figured that place is just in a cloud as it often is.

But the weather stayed the same all the way home through Koh Lak and right thru to here in Rawai.

So, it is not just Phuket by any means. It reminds me of why i moved out of New England many years ago. (too often socked in as they say)

Being a transition between rainy and dry season sounds like a nice answer to me!

It's smoke haze, take a deep breath trough your nostrils, can sense it. HAZE

Thai metrologs slow to report again and the Phuket Gazette is of course soon getting the news from BKK, yaa maybe tomorrow.

You guys crack me up.

Anyone read the book: "The Road" ?

The sky reminded me of that book.

I got an email yesterday from my friend in the states who said they are not only having the fires in CA but GA is having a severe drought and PA is dry also.

So, I'd much rather have rain than drought although I too am ready for it to be nice.

note to Chiang Mai: I wonder why you live here and not in Chiang Mai. I went there once. The sky was full of smoke. (and yes it was definitely smoke, you could easily smell it as well as see it) I stayed 2 days and left. Been in Phuket now 6 years. This is rare.