"frankly,my Dear"

LeungKen

Dear Sir/Madam,

Let me first start by stating that I do not wish to be confrontational or quarrelsome I simply seek a logical reason why one of my posts was censored.

I posted a line in "Favourite Movie Lines" which was from the award winning and financial successful film "Gone With The Wind" released in 1939.

The last line of the movie uttered with disdain by Clark Gables character Rhett Butler "Frankly, my dear. I don't give a ######"

The last word was hashed out. (Probably happens again here)

Why, in 2007 is such an inoffensive word censored ?

I am not advocating a total lack of censorship as I do believe certain standards should be kept and a little decorum is a good thing.

I look forward to your explanation.

Thanking you in anticipation

Leung Ken

P.S. As a piece of trivia, "GWTW" wasn't the first time this "scandalous" word (you seem to think the word is) was spoken, as it was first heard in "Alice Adams" in 1935 and in "Pygmalion" (The epitome of good taste) in 1938.

That word is a so called "stop word" for the search engines, and we have opted for the default stop word list that comes with our forum software.

My Dear George

Then in this case I should like my peers to judge your forum software, but in my honest opinion, and as constructive criticism, I feel that the software could use a little up-dating.

yours respectfully

Great Uncle Ken

Whilst agreeing it is a little absurd in the 21st century there is a way around it.

Just insert an underscore and voila #### becomes dam_n.

Similar in fashion is hel_l.

Sir, with respect, you only highlight the senselessness of the software.

as i see that "Tv pissup in Cm" is acceptable

That word is a so called "stop word" for the search engines, and we have opted for the default stop word list that comes with our forum software.

Perhaps posters fail to understand that it is not because of forum software but because of search engines and how they perform that these words are censored.

I did a little research on stop words and their effects on a site's search optimization and can see where George is coming from now. Still doesn't make sense but take it up with google since they are the ones who created the list of stop words. :o

I have been given two answers.

1 It is the Software

2 It is the Search Engine (Take it up with Google)

I am not meaning to be pedantic but the word in question is listed in The Concise Oxford Dictionary (English), Websters Seventh New College Dictionary (American) and The Penguin Macquarie Dictionary (Australian) and is being denied it's true usage in this forum, why then is Thai Visa allowing itself to be so severely restricted.

Surely in this day and age we have the technology to overcome errors in software programs

Once again I mean no disrespect and I am only advocating healthy and honest debate.

Yours respectfully

Leung Ken

the forum software has a default list of stop words based on google's list of stop words.

Do you never feel like pushing the barriers or railing against absurdity ?

You evidently accept these restrictions and rather than upset a moderator I will do as I started off by saying, be judged by my peers, and hold my tongue.

I will not disrupt the class again

DAM 'N BLAST Mutter, mutter ..........

Edited & Censored

Edited by LeungKen

Is there a filter that prevents people from making a big deal out of nothing?

:D

I look forward to your explanation.

LeungKen, I believe you asked for an explanation. And, I believe, that is what you received :o

I do not know what the heck the original poster is so darned upset about. Yes, Jesus did say in the King James Version, "he who believeth not shall be darned." And the Middle English 'pisseth' is in the same Bible because it was acceptable usage before Shakespeare started moaning about Lady MacBeth asking if those gosh-darned spots would ever be out.

Well, perhaps instead of debating we could ask for changes to be made, instead of dam*n being replaced with ###### maybe we could ask George if he would consider dam*n being replaced with dam_n automatically? or darn or something?

My favourite would be No being replaced with Yes, because we all understand that No really does mean Yes right?

disclaimer, in no way am I advocating sexual misconduct or anything else, infact I am so PC that I will now stop posting.

Not on an internet forum where there are, to many people, petty little absurdities and there are workarounds requiring very little effort.

It's not like the thought police are kicking in doors at 3 am or kids are being machine gunned in the town square.

It's absurdity is accentuated though by the fact that dam_n in it's correct format is filtered out whilst you can type <deleted> with total impunity (except from the wrath of the mods) and it's true form is plain for all to see.

Oh well I'll get back to sorting out peace in the middle east if we are all done here. :o

Not on an internet forum where there are, to many people, petty little absurdities and there are workarounds requiring very little effort.

It's not like the thought police are kicking in doors at 3 am or kids are being machine gunned in the town square.

It's absurdity is accentuated though by the fact that dam_n in it's correct format is filtered out whilst you can type <deleted> with total impunity (except from the wrath of the mods) and it's true form is plain for all to see.

Oh well I'll get back to sorting out peace in the middle east if we are all done here. :o

Thanks for sorting that out Phil, I am sure you'll be just as successful in your next venture. :D

I asked dr_pat_pong to adjust the "bad word" filters and he came up with a very good solution:

allow: fuc_k shit wank hel_l

the spelling <deleted> and sh*t looks much nicer... in my [not so] humble opinion :o

I asked dr_pat_pong to adjust the "bad word" filters and he came up with a very good solution:

allow: fuc_k shit wank hel_l

the spelling <deleted> and sh*t looks much nicer... in my [not so] humble opinion :D

True. It's not so 'in your face' as the originals. :o:D