"frankly,my Dear"

LeungKen

Etymology of the Word "dam_n"

By Gary Amirault

The words "dam_n" and "hel_l" are among favorite words spoken by theologians of the "hel_l-fire" type, that is, as long as they are used in church. These same words used in the local bar or on the athletic field would constitute "cussing" which would not be considered proper. If you are a little uncomfortable even reading about the word "dam_n" just remember the "Authorized" King James Bible uses it quite frequently. Let us look into the etymology of this word "dam_n." We may find some interesting surprises.

The Dictionary of Word Origins written by John Ayto and published in 1990 states the following about the word "dam_n":

dam_n: dam_n comes via Old French "damner" from Latin "damnare," a derivative of the noun "damnum." This originally meant 'loss, harm' (it is the source of the English 'damage'), but the verb damnare soon spread its application to 'pronounce judgment upon,' in both the legal and the theological sense. These meanings (reflected also in the derived 'condemn') followed the verb through Old French into English, which dropped the strict legal sense around the 16th century but has persisted with the theological one and its more profane offshoots. Condemn, damage, indemnity.

As we can see, originally the word was neither a "cuss" word nor did it have theological significance. It was a perfectly good word with which to translate the Biblical Greek words "apollumi," "krino," and "apolleia." But when theologians twisted this word out of its original meaning, it became a word which would smear the character of our Father. The world followed the church and used it as a "cuss" word, but it should be noted, that it was the church that turned it into its present meaning, not unbelievers.

I am not meaning to be pedantic

Well, you are making one hel_l of a stab at it.

Moss

I asked dr_pat_pong to adjust the "bad word" filters and he came up with a very good solution:

allow: fuc_k shit wank hel_l

Shirley you jest, I see that you are :o

Moss

• 5 weeks later...
I asked dr_pat_pong to adjust the "bad word" filters and he came up with a very good solution:

allow: fuc_k shit wank hel_l

Well done (?) And the outcome of this post will be?

Hmm, when I responded to this post, there where no lower dashed incuded in george's reply... censorship? NO no.... :o

allow: phuck shit wank helll

Kan Win just Khun-rected it for all our members who wish to par-take with these words.

My question is, Kwai do you need to use these words?

One posted "Bull-oxen" (= testicals from a Bull and or Oxen) once and p1p gave me a warning, me a Mod as well, frrigg me backwards, that was what was going though me brain, and Knot "phuck shit wank helll".

So what is your point then Members, to use Poultry (Fowl) words or Kan you knot experss yourselves in a better way?

Shame on all of you :o. You should know better and lead by example I say...................Your all full of

"SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSShine up your buttons with Brass-o" as the song goes......

Turkey to all of you, Fowl mouth members.

Kan Win :D

That word is a so called "stop word" for the search engines, and we have opted for the default stop word list that comes with our forum software.

The following are all also google stop words though, I a about an are as at be by com for from how in is it of on or that the this to was what when where who will with.

The following are all also google stop words though, I a about an are as at be by com for from how in is it of on or that the this to was what when where who will with.

Your source of this knowledge please? I'd like to read more.

All I wanted to do was to enter Rhett Butler's last line in G.W.T.W. :o

Now this thread is resembling the early rehearsals of an R rated "Winslow Boy"

Give it a bit longer and there will be those looking for "Reds" under the bed.

Maybe I should start an anti censorship rally - Come and Join

Forumwriters Under Censorship Knives - "We're Revolting"