Camry Vs Accord?

Mobi

I am reassessing my road transportation needs, and am thinking of changing out my Fortuner for either a Camry or Accord.

As much as I like the Fortuner, I'm just too fed up with seeing so many of them on the road, and have concluded that I would be happier in a large-ish saloon. I'd rather go for either a new or nearly new Toyota or Honda, than buy a used Mercedes or BMW. I don't want to spend too much, and in any case the maintenance costs on the Japanese cars is far more reasonable.

I will also change out the Jazz for a new CRV to take care of my up country trips. The Jazz is great but is really unsuitable for the bad roads in and around Pattaya.

So - anyone have any thoughts on which one is best - the Camry or the Accord? Any real differences, or are they much of a muchness, and is it just down to personal preference?

Thanks for any opinions

Mobi

So - anyone have any thoughts on which one is best - the Camry or the Accord? Any real differences, or are they much of a muchness, and is it just down to personal preference?

Thanks for any opinions

Mobi

I like the look of the new Camry previously I didn't like them. I always liked the look of the Accord until this model which IMO is ugly.

Isn't there a new Accord imminent. I don't like driving obsolete models.

Cheers

Thanks for any opinions

Mobi

I like the look of the new Camry previously I didn't like them. I always liked the look of the Accord until this model which IMO is ugly.

Isn't there a new Accord imminent. I don't like driving obsolete models.

Cheers

There is a new model Accord out now............its launched in the USA.

Looks a bit ugly............but thats just IMHO

If you're sick of seeing Fortuners, then you'll toss your cookies even more if you buy the Camry!!! :o Everywhere I look, it's either Fortuner or Camry, both of which lack "charm" for lack of a better word. Horses for courses.

Joking aside, you buying new or used? If new, I'd go Accord, the top model has decent power plus you get a moonroof, don't you? And if there is a new model coming, maybe you can get a discount (or then again, maybe not TIT). You won't get that much power with the Camry, unless you drop 2.85 mil for the 3.5 (is it?) version.

If used, I'd still go Accord, as it depreciates more and you'll get a better deal for your money IMO, esp with a used 3.0.

I am actually looking for a used Accord 3.0 to use as an around-town/out-of-town basher/beater. I love my other cars too much, bangkok roads they do not like...

For the money, I'd prefer a used BMW 7-series... they've depreciated tremendously already, and you'll be getting a hel_l of a lot more car. Just make sure to find one with outstanding history (but if maintenance costs are an issue, then yeah go japanese if you'd prefer). Head-on collision between a Thai-made Camry and a 7-series? I'd rather be (and have my loves ones be) in the 7. Just my 2 cents, I always consider safety among the most important things when considering a car.

Either way, good luck, and thanks for taking a Fortuner off the road... now if we can just get rid of the other 55534503459830598 ones...

If you're sick of seeing Fortuners, then you'll toss your cookies even more if you buy the Camry!!! :D Everywhere I look, it's either Fortuner or Camry, both of which lack "charm" for lack of a better word. Horses for courses.

Joking aside, you buying new or used? If new, I'd go Accord, the top model has decent power plus you get a moonroof, don't you? And if there is a new model coming, maybe you can get a discount (or then again, maybe not TIT). You won't get that much power with the Camry, unless you drop 2.85 mil for the 3.5 (is it?) version.

If used, I'd still go Accord, as it depreciates more and you'll get a better deal for your money IMO, esp with a used 3.0.

I am actually looking for a used Accord 3.0 to use as an around-town/out-of-town basher/beater. I love my other cars too much, bangkok roads they do not like...

For the money, I'd prefer a used BMW 7-series... they've depreciated tremendously already, and you'll be getting a hel_l of a lot more car. Just make sure to find one with outstanding history (but if maintenance costs are an issue, then yeah go japanese if you'd prefer). Head-on collision between a Thai-made Camry and a 7-series? I'd rather be (and have my loves ones be) in the 7. Just my 2 cents, I always consider safety among the most important things when considering a car.

Either way, good luck, and thanks for taking a Fortuner off the road... now if we can just get rid of the other 55534503459830598 ones...

Thanks for that and to others who have contributed so far - keep it coming.

Just a few comments.

Down here in Wild west "Deadwood' country, I would guess that the ratio of pickups/SUV's to saloon cars is probably around 10/1 or greater. Yes there are a few Camry's around - but any saloon is a comparative rarity, and if I stand still on any stretch of Pattaya Sukhumvit for 10 seconds, I reckon that at least a dozen Fortuners will steam past in either direction.

Down here it's beginning to feel like "You can have any colour of car you like as long as it's a Fortuner" I know it;s illogical, and I actually think my Fortuner is a good car, good value for money, and i enjoy driving it - but I want something A BIT DIFFERENT!! :o

Sorry but I won't be taking it off the road - I will sell it. :D

As matter of interest, how old a 7 series BMW can I get for the price of a new Camry/Accord?

Edited by Mobi

Well if you live out in the sticks i can see the reasoning behind having some sort of 4 wheel drive truck/suv, etc....

re: the bimmer... for a mil and a half (is that how much a new accord or camry costs, i've never checked), you can probably get a decent 2001-2002 730i (E38) or maybe even a 740iL which is really what you'd want because the 3.0L V8 really doesn't have enough power to make that tank fly... but the 4.0 V8 has 272-odd horsies and oodles of smooth torque, and in sport mode will get you where you want to go in safe style... stuff some 19"-20" wheels in there (plenty of room) and you have yourself a proper motorcar (the standard wheels are rather old-manish IMO). If there is any bit of a driving enthusiast in you, you would appreciate the difference over a japanese cookie-cutter car without a doubt (just don't let the hydraulic suspension go out on you, cost yourself a bundle... and proper tyres for 20" wheels on a 7 will cost around 80K baht.... but it's worth it i tell you.... BUT then again, horses for courses....

If you're sick of seeing Fortuners, then you'll toss your cookies even more if you buy the Camry!!! :D Everywhere I look, it's either Fortuner or Camry, both of which lack "charm" for lack of a better word. Horses for courses.

Thanks for that and to others who have contributed so far - keep it coming.

Just a few comments.

Down here in Wild west "Deadwood' country, I would guess that the ratio of pickups/SUV's to saloon cars is probably around 10/1 or greater. Yes there are a few Camry's around - but any saloon is a comparative rarity, and if I stand still on any stretch of Pattaya Sukhumvit for 10 seconds, I reckon that at least a dozen Fortuners will steam past in either direction.

Down here it's beginning to feel like "You can have any colour of car you like as long as it's a Fortuner" I know it;s illogical, and I actually think my Fortuner is a good car, good value for money, and i enjoy driving it - but I want something A BIT DIFFERENT!! :o

Sorry but I won't be taking it off the road - I will sell it. :D

As matter of interest, how old a 7 series BMW can I get for the price of a new Camry/Accord?

Try this http://www.one2car.com/ It's a Thai used car site but if you use the drop down boxes on top right corner of the homepage you can select the car you're interested in in english. Should give you good idea of prices etc...

If new, I'd go Accord, the top model has decent power plus you get a moonroof, don't you? And if there is a new model coming, maybe you can get a discount (or then again, maybe not TIT). You won't get that much power with the Camry, unless you drop 2.85 mil for the 3.5 (is it?) version.

55534503459830598 ones...

hhahahahahaaa Great advice ! Buy new ! Then buy second hand as they depreciate more! Fantastic economics there!

A moonroof would be just great in the Big Mango..............what with the smog and pollution and all.

Edited by stevemiddie

If new, I'd go Accord, the top model has decent power plus you get a moonroof, don't you? And if there is a new model coming, maybe you can get a discount (or then again, maybe not TIT). You won't get that much power with the Camry, unless you drop 2.85 mil for the 3.5 (is it?) version.

55534503459830598 ones...

hhahahahahaaa Great advice ! Buy new ! Then buy second hand as they depreciate more! Fantastic economics there!

A moonroof would be just great in the Big Mango..............what with the smog and pollution and all.

Well I understood what he meant.

I would get a used Accord for a lower price than a comparable Camry, as the Camrys hold their value better. (Presumably greater demand?)

So if I want to run the Accord for say 5 years or more then it would be a good deal, but I wanted to change it out in say a couple of years, then maybe it wouldn't be such a good deal, as it's value would have dropped more than a comparable Camry. But there again - if i traded it in for another Accord, then I wouldn't lose out. :D

I think the advice was valid, and nothing wrong with the relevant economics.

As for the roof - yeah I used to have one on my Escape and never used it - except to play with the electric motor to watch it open and close when I was parked up. :o

I think nowadays you just have to buy the car you like most.

Reliability difference between the brands is negligible, prices etc, well in my humble opinion if you have to worry about that you are probably buying something more expensive then you could afford!

More important I think is the level of service you can expect from the dealership where you'll buy your car. As much as I like Honda's, and as good as they are, I have not heard many good things said about the local dealer (the one Mobi most probably will have to deal with). Maybe his own experience is different.

Just for an indicator, the local Avis agent has quite a few Honda's, all bought (or leased) and maintained at Honda Chonburi, cleanly bypassing the local dealer.

Why don't you consider the Nissan Teana as well? We still have the latest model cefiro, and can't say anything wrong about it (apart from the lack of power, should have bought the 3 liter instead of the 2 liter). Excellent service as well from the local Pattaya dealer.

Me, for that kind of money I'd buy a reasonable young Volvo v70. I just love the space of an estate, and I still think the safety of these cars is one of the highest in the world. Unfortunately, until we stop re-investing our hard earned cash, I'll have to stick with my slightly older 245 :o:D

Well if you live out in the sticks i can see the reasoning behind having some sort of 4 wheel drive truck/suv, etc....

re: the bimmer... for a mil and a half (is that how much a new accord or camry costs, i've never checked), you can probably get a decent 2001-2002 730i (E38) or maybe even a 740iL which is really what you'd want because the 3.0L V8 really doesn't have enough power to make that tank fly... but the 4.0 V8 has 272-odd horsies and oodles of smooth torque, and in sport mode will get you where you want to go in safe style... stuff some 19"-20" wheels in there (plenty of room) and you have yourself a proper motorcar (the standard wheels are rather old-manish IMO). If there is any bit of a driving enthusiast in you, you would appreciate the difference over a japanese cookie-cutter car without a doubt (just don't let the hydraulic suspension go out on you, cost yourself a bundle... and proper tyres for 20" wheels on a 7 will cost around 80K baht.... but it's worth it i tell you.... BUT then again, horses for courses....

Teej, you seem to know about these things.

You've got me thinking whether I shouldn't be a bit more adventurous, rather than getting a bog standard Camry or Accord.

I'm thinking of increasing my budget, plus whatever I get on the used Fortuner, I might well have between 2 - 3 mil available.

However, I would still only get a fairly old BMW Series 7 for this kind of money. What about a 5 series BMW, or maybe a Merc? It needs to be robust enough to manage the up country roads and potholes without the suspension falling apart.

Many years ago, when I worked in the Middle East, the only vehicles that could handle the desert road tracks were land rovers and Mercedes 280's. No other vehicles could hack it - nothing Japanese, and nothing American - like Jeeps etc. OK times have changed, but presumably the Mercs are still pretty sturdy?

Seems like we go through similar experiences. I just sold my Honda Jazz and upgraded to the new CRV. I don't regret it now (after 3'000 km).

As for the choice of Accord vs. Camry, I saw the new Accord at my Honda dealer when I bought the CRV. On photos only, though. Looks quite OK and has a lot of options. I would certainly prefer the Accord with the 3.0 l engine to the Camry 2.4. Then there is the Camry 3.5 but I heard nothing positive about it. Even The Nation criticized the handling. Seems like they just switched engines but did not adapt the rest of the car to the higher power output.

My dream car here in Thailand is the AUDI A6 with the 3 liter Diesel and quattro (4WD), but so far I could not make up my mind to spend 5.6 Million (!).

Mobi i sent you a PM.

Emperor_Tud: maybe it wasn't a real 3.5. Because if he was really trying to race you in a real 3.5, while your turbo is puffing out at 180kph, the 3.5 would just be hitting it's hotspot and would leave you for dust upwards of 240kph. I have a 280hp/380nM Saab 9-3 and a 3.5 Camry gave me a run for my money on the motorway... he lost of course, but it wasn't an embarassing loss. Those 3.5s have some juice.

Mobi,

Have you looked at a Nissan Teana? Nice car has a 2.3ltr V6. It is the replacement for the Cefiro which ended production in 2004.

oh no, please don't buy teana. i don't want them to be a lot on the road... i'm planning to switch from cefiro to teana. :o

I blew away a new 3.5 Camry on the expressway this morning.

I thought they were meant to be fairly quick? It has put me off buying one when I get rid of my pick up.

It was amusing watching the guy madly flashing his lights in the rearview mirror trying to get traffic to move over as I pulled further and further away from him though.

It must have really annoyed him being blown away by a Hi-Lux. :o

Yeah and I bet you were taking it easy on the gas too. I remember only too well my old Hi-Lux popping off one Camry after another, great Truck's.

Seems like we go through similar experiences. I just sold my Honda Jazz and upgraded to the new CRV. I don't regret it now (after 3'000 km).

I was going to start another thread on this. My wife has a jazz, which is a lovely little car and fun to drive, but again completely unsuitable for the roads of Pattaya, and for her trips to her village in Sa Kaeo. I was thinking of upgrading it to a CRV, as the new model seems to have good reviews, so I would be interested in feedback on this idea.

If I have one 4 x 4 in the family, that will make it even easier for me to ditch the Fortuner, and get something a bit more exciting - and different :o

I have never seen 3.5l Camry yet. Only one with a fake 3.5 add on badge on the side.

Wait for the new Accord then make a decision, it's just over a month till the motorshow.

I'm in no hurry - just taking my time deciding what to buy. It's all part of the fun, so I shall certainly wait and see the new Accord.

Rdrokit Mobi,

Have you looked at a Nissan Teana? Nice car has a 2.3ltr V6. It is the replacement for the Cefiro which ended production in 2004.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look. Any internet links?

teej Mobi i sent you a PM.

Thanks Teej, I will reply.

You've got me thinking whether I shouldn't be a bit more adventurous, rather than getting a bog standard Camry or Accord.

I'm thinking of increasing my budget, plus whatever I get on the used Fortuner, I might well have between 2 - 3 mil available.

And you're still thinking about a Japanese car? :o

You only live once :D

RAZZ

I was going to start another thread on this. My wife has a jazz, which is a lovely little car and fun to drive, but again completely unsuitable for the roads of Pattaya, and for her trips to her village in Sa Kaeo. I was thinking of upgrading it to a CRV, as the new model seems to have good reviews, so I would be interested in feedback on this idea.

If I have one 4 x 4 in the family, that will make it even easier for me to ditch the Fortuner, and get something a bit more exciting - and different :D

It may sound crazy, but we sold the Jazz not because we were not happy with its performance, but because in a very short period of time we had 3 accidents, never our fault, but we started to believe the car was jinxed.

And believe it or not, the day we got the CRV delivered, on the way home, a taxi bumped into the new CRV :o

Nothing dramatic and it needed no repair, just really weird.

The CRV is of course a lot bigger, inside and outside. We can now easily fit in our two kids and the nanny and the luggage of all these 5 people. The mileage is, well, so so. On a long distance trip to Kho Chang an average of 10 km/l, in the city (Bangkok) more like 7 km/l.

The engine is smooth and powerful. The car has a lot of nice options, such as automatic head lights, rain sensor, air con with 2 zones, but lacks some otherwise standard options such as electric seats for the front passenger, memory for the driver seat, courtesy mirror with lights.

We choose to replace the standard radio with a Honda supplied touch-screen radio with CD, DVD, MP3. That was a mistake. Not a good system, horrible sound and rather primitive compared with 3rd party radios of this kind (Pioneer, Panasonic, Kenwood). It does feature a a back camera though. Not really important, but "nice to have".

Thanks Dominique for your opinion on the CRV.

I will definitely be changing out the Jazz for one some time next year some time, and I'm sure the wife will be happy with it - safer too.

On sound systems, I was distinctly unimpressed with the system that came with the Fortuner and invested in a great Sony system, complete with woofer in the back, and a TV screen to keep the kids happy on long journeys. Pricey at 70k , but worth every penny when I crank it up. It also doubles up as an open air sound system when I go to the wife's village and they need some hefty Mor lam music to accompany the Sangsom :D

Now, back to my BM/Teana/Merc/Accord/Camry/Volvo musings :o

Why dont you consider a Nissan Murano? the 2.5l engine model is about 2.95m baht fully imported from Japan and available through Nissan dealers. Certainly looks the part and the reviews I have read have always been great. The 4x4 with bigger engine though is nearly 4,000,000b.

post-4822-1193905762_thumb.jpg

Friend of mine has a Chevrolet Lumina which is basically a rebaged Holden Commodore out of Australia - 3.6L engine and very spacious and smooth car. Bit like a 5 series BMW without the price tag - I think they are about 1.9m baht.

Also what about Ford Territory - again imported from Australia under FTA - 4l engine, 6 speed auto box, 4 wheel drive,all the toys in Ghia form and priced about 2.9m baht - details on the Ford Thailand website. I saw this as at a Ford showroom in BKK - very nice car, reminded me of Volvo XC90.

• 2 months later...

After flirting with the idea of getting a used BM or Mercedes, I'm now coming back to sqaure one and will almost certainly go for a new family saloon.

The choices are: Accord, Camry, Teana and Sonata, and on Friday The Bangkok Post did a "shoot-out" report on these four models. The results were:

1st Place Accord

2nd Place Camry

3rd Place Sonata

4th Place Teana

I had a look at the new Accord the other day, and it looks good.

Has anyone test driven one, or even better does anyone own one?

After flirting with the idea of getting a used BM or Mercedes, I'm now coming back to sqaure one and will almost certainly go for a new family saloon.

The choices are: Accord, Camry, Teana and Sonata, and on Friday The Bangkok Post did a "shoot-out" report on these four models. The results were:

1st Place Accord

2nd Place Camry

3rd Place Sonata

4th Place Teana

I had a look at the new Accord the other day, and it looks good.

Has anyone test driven one, or even better does anyone own one?

The new Accord is very nice. I'm glad they killed off its ugly predecessor.

Cheers