1 Day Overstay Marked In Passport?

If I overstay my tourist visa for 1 day (which I believe is overlooked in terms of fines) at the airport, do they put a different / special mark in my passport tarnishing me as an overstayer?

--matt

Not as such but the social stigma is overwhelming. Not to mention taxis will ignore you or refuse to use the meter, cooks will spit in your khaopat, barkeeps will water down your drinks while padding your tab and the ladies-of-the-night will stay with you less and despise you more.

As mentioned above ^^^, yes they stamp your PP, no there is no charge AT THE AIRPORT, land crossings will charge for a single day overstay.

It's not wise to plan to overstay if at all possible.

Whilst it's unlikely to cause you problems with Thai visas (unless you're a chronic offender) it may cause issues if you try to get a visa for another country if they spot that you've previosly overstayed somewhere.

If I overstay my tourist visa for 1 day (which I believe is overlooked in terms of fines) at the airport, do they put a different / special mark in my passport tarnishing me as an overstayer?

--matt

You will be fined 500 Baht for your days overstay and don't forget your 500 Baht departure tax.

Chris.

--matt

You will be fined 500 Baht for your days overstay and don't forget your 500 Baht departure tax.

Chris.

Sorry i should have added, when i got my years visa i had four overstay stamps inside it and it was no problem, good luck.

Regards.

He will not be charged 500 baht overstay leaving from the airport; nor will he be charged 500 baht airport tax.

Hi, why would he not have to pay for the days overstay? and isn't the 500 Baht departure tax still there?

From February 1, 2007 the 700 baht departure tax is included in the price of the ticket. As for the overstay, I'm curious as to that also.

One day overstay has never been collected on airport departure. If you stay two days or more it will be added however. See post #5

I heard somewhere that it has to do with giving you a little grace period. Something about if you went through immigration to leave at 23:30, but your plane did not leave until 0:30 the next day. Who knows, but the signs at the airport clearly say that you get one day free. I think I saw that they charge you for the first day if you have more than one day though. So one day is free, but two days is 1000 baht.

Last year, I had my passport stamped 20 minutes before midnight on my final day. They did take me to a special area. But then, they stamped my passport reflecting the following day, the appearance of a one day overstay. But, no fine and no special stamp, just the usual stamp and I never heard another word about it.

One day overstay has never been collected on airport departure. If you stay two days or more it will be added however. See post #5

True.

Not necessarily. I left immigration on the last day of my visa, but my flight left 20min after midnight, which meant I was actually leaving Thailand when my visa had run out.

After being stamped I was taken to the officer and asked to pay overstay, I mentioned this was strange because my passport had been stamped for the same date as the last date of my visa, so I wasn't overstaying. The officer wouldn't accept this and pointed to a sign basically stating that the officer was correct, so I had to pay the officer. I was dressed nicely, polite and spoke Thai, none of which helped and I've never heard of this happening to anyone before.