Snake

davidthai

It's a tough call!

I agree that S.E. Asians are too eager to kill any snake they see, regardless of what it looks like or what it's doing. I'm also surprised that in an area of the world where snakes are so plentiful, these people seem to have no or little ability to determine the venomous variety from the harmless ones. As most of us know, snakes have a useful place in nature and would rather avoid (or escape) any encounters with people. Typically, if you leave them alone, they will be very happy to leave you alone.

When I was living in Chiang Mai, I was friends with a young lady from Burma -- we lived in the same apartment building. One day she knocked on my door and asked me to go to the parking lot with her. When we got there, she pointed out a beautiful green tree snake that was peacefully snoozing under a water downspout, and she was freaked out about it. I assured her that it was harmless and it would eventually move along. But before I knew it, she went into the apartment and came back with a pot of boiling water that she threw at the snake. Fortunately she missed the poor creature. A few minutes later, a farang came along with a green plastic garbage bag, grabbed the snake by the tail, put it in the bag and carried it down the lane where he released it safely in a field.

On the other hand, I guess it wouldn't be great to let a snake hang around a playground if there's a chance that it might be poisonous. And I admit that it can be difficult to determine the harmless varieties from the harmful ones.

I've had a few close encounters with snakes, and I've either stopped in my tracks to let it go by or walked around it, leaving a good distance for it to make an escape. This has always worked and I'm confident that it always will.

Edited by pattyboy

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, most of the green snakes in Thailand are poisonous. I believe that there is only one nonpoisonous green snake here & that is the Long-nosed Whip snake, as pictured below;

The below links show plenty of poisonous green snakes.

http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_crotalidae.html

http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_poisonous.html

This is actually the "green tree snake" I was referring to in my post. I guess it's not a tree snake after all -- a Whip Snake really, and it is actually venomous (but not generally a danger to humans -- see bellow). This is the type of snake I see most commonly in my neighborhood.

Picture: J. Bulian36.jpg

Ahaetulla prasina (Green Whip snakes)

Length: Up to 190 cm

Occurrence: North, north east and central Thailand. Not to be found south of Hua Hin.

Behaviour/habitat:

These snakes, which are active during the day, live in trees and bushes on agricultural land and woods. They feed themselves on frogs, lizards and rodents.

Danger:

Although this is a type of viper (has the dreaded poisonous fangs at the back of the jaw), there is no danger to humans. The poison must be massaged into the bite wound with chewing movements in order to be effective. Even when preying on small lizards, the poison needs 15 minutes before working. If aggravated, these animals spread out at the neck in order to appear larger. The ligaments of the skin can be seen.

I kinow many Thais have an inherent fear of snakes so it is not surprising they kill and ask questions later.

Here is a pic of the first snake I ever saw close up in Thailand, killed by the g/f brother. Never did find out if it was poisonous or not.

post-51923-1193219222_thumb.jpg

I kinow many Thais have an inherent fear of snakes so it is not surprising they kill and ask questions later.

Here is a pic of the first snake I ever saw close up in Thailand, killed by the g/f brother. Never did find out if it was poisonous or not.

post-51923-1193219222_thumb.jpg

That snake is a common radiated rat snake very harmless unless your a rat. It is an interesting snake because when captured it plays dead after putting it down it waits a minute then takes off fast. You can see a picture of one playing dead on my family website. BTW I like snakes but when a cobra came into the house I did kill it because my wife was pregnant at the time, however I regret killing it because it wasn't agressive at all.

TBH the reason Thais kill most snakes is to see if they are edible. I seen a woman wearing a uniform on a new looking motorcycle cross a busy highway to kill a rat snake with her bike. She nearly got herself killed for a few spoons full of snake meat.

Thais just kill every snake they see , at least here they do .

They just not like the idea , I must admit I killed several dozens of snakes also .

The rat snakes I let go sometimes .

Although they are not poisonous , they can bite fiercely , not life threatening but still !

The only snake I hesitate to run after are cobras , not see them very often , but they are here .

For those I ask the neighbour to have a look , once we had a 3 meter yellow cobra under the

closet where my then 2 year old son played nearby , so no chances for this reptile ,

sorry folks !

What about this snake? Anyone know what kind it is? Saw it running across the beach on Koh Chang. It was only around 40cm long, looked like a baby.

i1304190_Kohchangsnake.jpg

They have a red neck right ?

They are venomous , what I read in my snake book pretty aggressive snakes .

Pretty small snake , but can be potential fatal , read that there have been victims of his bite so.....

I would rather kill it than find out later that it was poisonous when a couple of kids in the soi are dead.

:o Most snakes are killed by people who think the snake is dangerous. Most times they aren't. Snakes don't attack people, people attack snakes. Even poisonous snakes are usually not agressive, they usually are trying to defend themselves, from what they assume is a person trying to harm them. Snakes don't have the intelligence to discriminate among people who are dangerous and those who are not. People are supposed to be more intelligent than snakes.

I guess it's a natural reaction to be afraid of a snake, that's just human nature. The truth is however, most snakes, even poisonous ones, are far more interested in fat juicy rats as dinner than people.

:D

As for the OP and Neeranam's wife killing Rat Snakes, well that is just ignorance and a lack of education about the environment in which they live.

Go to Australia and anyone can tell you which snakes are harmless and which are not.

Maybe any redneck can tell me.

You obiously have never had a baby - if you would allow 10 foot rat snakes to play with baby, well that's what I call ignorance and lack of common sense.

As for the OP and Neeranam's wife killing Rat Snakes, well that is just ignorance and a lack of education about the environment in which they live.

Go to Australia and anyone can tell you which snakes are harmless and which are not.

You obiously have never had a baby - if you would allow 10 foot rat snakes to play with baby, well that's what I call ignorance and lack of common sense.

Go Go neeranam !

post-8805-1193560070_thumb.jpg

That's a coincedence - my wife killed a snake this afternoon.

She said it was a "ngoo sing" - sorry not allowed to write Thai unless on the Thai language forum.

With my 5 year old pushing my 8 month old in the pram, I don't want to take any chances.

I must admit I was / am scared stiff of snakes, after we moved into our place near Rayong we come across a variety of snakes in the garden. At first I got someone to get rid of them, which normally meant they killed them. However my wife's cousin asked me one day why kill them ?. I thought about it, started to read up about Thai snakes and gradually have come to respect them and give them their space, I would still sooner see them outside of our place than in but I have got 'brave' enough to chase them out myself now. (mind you haven't encountered one that big yet). Of course we haven't got young kids around, and any Farang visitors with kids are told there are snakes around, I assume the Thai ones know already.

I make a point of not leaving places for them to hide under, however the last one we came across (golden tree snake) was hiding under the ice box, we have got one of those boxes on wheels, don't know how long it had been there but I know we had been getting ice from it while it was there.

I can see both sides of the kill or let live fence but am trying to do my enviromental conservation bit now.

This snake visited my home a couple of years ago.

Don’t know the species of this snake, but was told by one of our locals that it is deadly poisonous and he will kill it. I said no because these snakes are good for the environment, they kill rats and vermin and believe that these creatures have a right to live. I am the one on its territory rather than the other way round.

I just squirted the snake with water. It quickly slide away and I never saw it again.

post-40525-1193563314_thumb.jpg

I have two kids, they both know the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes in Thailand.

Do you want people to kill every animal that they see that may or may not be a danger to people?

Quick kill all the snakes, sharks, and tigers.

Ignorant beyond belief, I pity you.

Slight off topic, but last time I was working near Nakohn Pathom, alongside the factory in some marshy overgrown scrub was the biggest lizard thing I have seen in my life, as you may guess I am no wildlife expert, but this thing was the size of a baby croc, silver grey and as butch as a very hard looking butch lizard. Now if it was between him moving or me, he would have won every time. Are these a common sight outside of the built up areas?

Edited by Cobalt60

Ahh, right, bit too much of a city dweller me. I get chuffed to see a butterfly :o

That lizard is the best I have seen so far, along with the turtles and tame fish in Queens Park next to Emporium.

Ohh and the snake eating a lizard, again while at work, I posted a pic of that a while back.

Dont believe in killing the poor sods, its not they are equiped to survive.

What about this snake? Anyone know what kind it is? Saw it running across the beach on Koh Chang. It was only around 40cm long, looked like a baby.

i1304190_Kohchangsnake.jpg

They have a red neck right ?

They are venomous , what I read in my snake book pretty aggressive snakes .

Pretty small snake , but can be potential fatal , read that there have been victims of his bite so.....

This picture is quite small...I don't see any red neck...but I do see very clear markings on it's face....would say it is a juvenile copperhead racer or radiated rat snake...harmless.

I have two kids, they both know the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes in Thailand.

Do you want people to kill every animal that they see that may or may not be a danger to people?

Any animal which is a threat to my kids, I'll kill if I can. The guy who ate the snake said it was "seb lai lai".

There's a pit-bull near by which is next if it ever comes near.

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years and love animals in general.

Do you eat KFC by any chance? Pork, veal, beef?

I happen to be a frog lover. I guess my wife has save the lives of 100s of frogs.

I envy you with your kid geniuses, but isn't it normal for "baan nawk" folks to know about snakes?

I will agree that the majority of the time snakes, even venomous ones, are not aggressive toward humans. Take the somewhat luminous small solid green tree snakes. They are very mild mannered and never bother you even if they use your body as a short cut from a limb to the ground - as long as you don't get excited over it. I've had several encounters with the meter long green cobras over the years and never found them to be aggressors. Now having said that, I will also say that I have tried to kill nearly every green cobra I have found in my yard.

The reason for this is simple: while they may be mild mannered and won't attack me without cause, I put the life and welfare of my children and my cats, who depend on me for protection, ahead of those of a creature who has the rest of the world to live in.

I think the first time I saw a green cobra here in Chiangmai was when hearing the laughing shrieks of my two kids, then four and two years old, I looked out the window to see my youngest chasing one with my oldest close behind. My father-in-law, with a stick in his hand, came around the corner of my sister-in-law's house before I could get out the door and that was the end of the snake. Just as I don't leave bare hot electrical wires lying around the property - they are not aggressive after all, I am not going to allow a poisonous snake to take up residence either. Accidents happen and if accidently hurt they will have every cause to attack.

We've had several cases where cobras tried to get into where a mother cat had her babies and my last involvement with a green cobra just a few months back was one of these cases. I was walking up to the house one evening when the snake came out of a clump of vegetation onto the sidewalk headed for where the kitten was. I took exception and tried to kill it although the only thing handy was a very short machete. I ended up breaking the dam_n blade on the sidewalk leaving just an inch or two long stub in my hand. About then the snake reared up and spread out its neck folds. I thought that was just fine and leaned forward to backhand it just as it spit, twice very quickly, a very fine spray of venom onto the side of my face and right shoulder. The only reason I didn't get it the full spray in both eyes was due to leaning forward just as it spit. After twenty some odd years of dealing with these green cobras I found out they were a spitting variety when I had mistakenly thought only King cobras did that. Live and learn. We stared at each other for awhile and it finally slid back into the green and as it was getting dark that was the end of that. I rinsed out my eye, went and sat around RAM hospital for an hour to see it anything would happen and finally went back home when nothing did. I don't blame the snake for defending itself - not one bit. But if it, or its cousin, comes back I'll try and kill it again.

There is a story of a 4 meter boa which I killed just a little late to save a nearly full grown stray cat we had adopted and raised. That snake had undoubtedly been hunting our cats for a long time and was very clever about it, but that is another story and this post is long enough.

I just want to end this with the observation for those with a god complex who wish to impose their pop culture based propaganda on others and resort to snide or open personal insults to demonstrate their elitist superiority. Live your life the way you want, and stay the hel_l out of the personal affairs of others, especially when it comes to making decisions regarding the lives and welfare of those they love and are responsible for. It's your arrogance and ignorance which is beyond belief.

A harmless non-venomous Keelback nailed me on the ankle last week, trouble was the blood thinning medication following my heart op and the fact it got me on an artery meant I bled like a stuck pig, I spent a couple of days in the lounge chair to weak to stand up.

And NO,I didnt kill it ,only because I couldnt catch it,but every snake on our farm is on borrowed time from this day on.

Do you have a better picture? There are some very venomous snakes in Thailand but apart from the cobras, kraits and vipers I believe most of the others are not dangerous. Very few snakes will actually chase a potential victim unless they are cornered. Cobras will and are therefore more dangerous than most. They do exist in Bangkok and all over Thailand, however this one is not a cobra. Unfortunately the flying snakes are always chopped up by the locals here in the islands. It is sad because they are beautiful, harmless and most importantly a very important part of the ecosystem. Some which were common are becoming very rare in the last few years.

Where are you living?

Any animal which is a threat to my kids, I'll kill if I can. The guy who ate the snake said it was "seb lai lai".

There's a pit-bull near by which is next if it ever comes near.

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years and love animals in general.

Do you eat KFC by any chance? Pork, veal, beef?

I happen to be a frog lover. I guess my wife has save the lives of 100s of frogs.

I envy you with your kid geniuses, but isn't it normal for "baan nawk" folks to know about snakes?

Not baan nawk, city dwellers through and through, Bangkok all there lives. Been taken around different parts of Thailand and Asia and have learned about the environment.

Like i said, your wife killing the snake is just mis-education or a lack of education about the environment in which she lives, probably not her fault, but you could help her out a little as i'm sure you must know better.

Like i said, your wife killing the snake is just mis-education or a lack of education about the environment in which she lives, probably not her fault, but you could help her out a little as i'm sure you must know better.

Have you read anything that I wrote? My wife killed the snake as we have a 8 month old baby that plays outside. There are 5 other young kids that play in the area.

You know absolutely nothing about my wife's environmental education, so don't comment on it, ok?

Please answer my questions KFC, beef or pork?

Are you Thai or Ozzie?

Have you read anything that I wrote? My wife killed the snake as we have a 8 month old baby that plays outside. There are 5 other young kids that play in the area.

You know absolutely nothing about my wife's environmental education, so don't comment on it, ok?

Please answer my questions KFC, beef or pork?

Are you Thai or Ozzie?

Firstly, yes i have been reading what you have writen, this is what made me draw the conclusion that your wife is under educated about the environment in which you live, like i say this is understandable because of where she grew up and probably not her fault. I am well aware that you have children, does this mean you kill butterflies that come in the garden just incase they attack the children? This snake she killed would not come near and could have easily been waned of with some water or just by chasing it :o

As far as your question about KFC, beef and pork. No i don't eat KFC, yes i eat beef and pork. There is a big difference between killing for food and killing out of ignorance.

Thai or Ausralian? Neither i'm from the UK.

I stand by my previous statements.

Slight off topic, but last time I was working near Nakohn Pathom, alongside the factory in some marshy overgrown scrub was the biggest lizard thing I have seen in my life, as you may guess I am no wildlife expert, but this thing was the size of a baby croc, silver grey and as butch as a very hard looking butch lizard. Now if it was between him moving or me, he would have won every time. Are these a common sight outside of the built up areas?

I saw one in Lumpini park and also one in another Bangkok park. They can't be too rare.