Front Tire Locks/slides On Hot Roads

misterme

Not new to riding. Big and small bikes, I've enjoyed them all. In my 20's even took some racing training. Long highway trips changed to work comuting after I became a family man. That life is far behind me now. But, still spend a fair amount of time riding in Meung Thai.

I've had pretty good luck, adjusting for parked car doors opening and the sudden stoping of traffic seemed to be the toughest transition once I came over.

But, I've found that the front wheel locks up pretty darn quickly with the hot roads and warm tires. Have others noticed this too? If so, what changes to riding have you had to make.

Riding the 400s through the hills, I found no problems. My first time I locked up was riding a Phantom, driving slowly through a town... maybe 30-40km/hr stopping in traffic, the front wheel locked up and the whole bike slid from under me.

Lately on the scooter, I've noticed the tendency for the front wheel to want to lock. Of course if you're turning at all (even when on a straight road) the loss of control is a risk from sliding.

So, I've compensated by using my rear brakes alot more. A real switch from home where the front brake carries much of the stopping load, I realize that I'll wear my back brakes down soon if I keep it up. But, if I stay with both wheels up, the brake replacement isn't too much of an issue for me. The bad habit I build up relying on my rear brakes worries me. It's the good habits you make that help you out when you need them the most.

Anyone noticed similar? Comments?

But, I've found that the front wheel locks up pretty darn quickly with the hot roads and warm tires. Have others noticed this too? If so, what changes to riding have you had to make.

Riding the 400s through the hills, I found no problems. My first time I locked up was riding a Phantom, driving slowly through a town... maybe 30-40km/hr stopping in traffic, the front wheel locked up and the whole bike slid from under me.

Lately on the scooter, I've noticed the tendency for the front wheel to want to lock. Of course if you're turning at all (even when on a straight road) the loss of control is a risk from sliding.

I haven't experienced it here but I did buy once a Honda Wave in Indonesia that tried to do the same thing. I haven't riden a Phantom so it could be that the front end is light. But usually it is crap locally made tires/tyres. If the tyres on your bike don't have Dunlop or Bridgestone wrtten on them throw the tires away and get some good branded tires. Dunlop D404, Bridgestone BT-39SS (have to use 80/90)

Oh and ever noticed that MotoGP guys only use one or two fingers for braking?

Warm tyres and hot roads will make your tyres more grippy and less likely to lock up not the other way round. If you are locking the front wheel then you are probably grabing the brake to hard, also old and rubish tyres wont help.

I sometimes see problems with bike breaks, this is mostly not enough or to much break liquid or the brake pads are serious in need of replacement.

I think the major reason for front wheels sliding around is the amount of oil and diesel on the roads, combined with a lot of rain at the moment makes the roads deadly on a bike. I'm also really cautious with the front break in Thailand whereas I used to hammer it at home.

Or what do you think of the nice steel plates they put on the road. Can remember one time at HuaKwang market, wet, motor oil, steel plate and a Ducati 1098...by a wonder did I not fall but did some moves, which I belief were impossible....

Hi.

Is that a drum brake or disk brake that "wants to lock up"..? If drum, have it checked for hardened brake shoes, most likely reason for a locking brake. If it's a disk brake..... it would be strange.

I ride an RXZ on daily commute and i use almost only the front brake (disk) as the rear one (drum) is rather weak. Since that bike is quite fast (150 easy) i often have to pull an "almost stoppie" where the rear end becomes VERY light, however i never had the brake lock up, not even remotely - and it is a really good brake i have to add. Also with a passenger i can always stop from 120-130 KM/h in a short distance, using the front brake alone.

Oh, and "crappy local tyres"... i am pretty d@mn happy with the "Siamese" on my front wheel, which has a very good grip even on wet road. I will get the same tyre again when this one is down.... in the rear i have a Michelin tough, as there was no "Siamese" available in that size when i needed a new tyre last time.

Best regards......

Thanh

I ride the same bike as Jim's Knight, a CBR150, and I use both brakes, and they're both discs. Just got the new IRC Grip 100/80 on the rear, and it grips well, indeed. The only time I've applied too much brake on the front was on gravel. I say, get in the habit of applying both brakes, so after you've got the habit, your reflexes will give you a maximum stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Misterme, i read that you say your front brake seems to lock up quickly on a "scooter" useually scooters have leading link front forks,where the wheel tends to dive underneath the bike under heavy braking, unfortunately, there is not much you can do about this, just gentle front and rear braking is the only answer, if this is not so, please tell us the make and model you are riding, Thanks, lickey.

Have now a Platinum D 150 but drive and repair more then 30 years motorbikes of mall kinds. Use almost only the front brake. In case of emergency alone use them both. In front brake have a kind of ABS device.

In case of blocking wheel by a disk brake change the brake pads and check the brake oil.

In case of drum brake change brake pads and check if the drum is round and smooth.

By reassemble check bearings and axes because to much space there can make the brakes malfunction also. After change be careful because the brake don’t work the first 100 Km optimal because the pads must get the contra profile of the disk or drum.

Succes... :o

If your bike is equipped with a front disc, have your calipers checked. sometimes as the calipers heat up & expand they can stick

on the closed position. It is not common on a new bike but occasionally this can be the cause.

I road tested a 200 phantom with the same problem 6 months ago.

Also( this is a real stretch)but it did happen to my 125 wave Honda, the brake lever was replaced with an after market part.

The handle was just ever so slight in difference that when the bike got warmer the part of the handle that initiates the front braking was causing it to lock up.

they replaced with a genuine honda brake lever & it solved the problem.

If your bike is equipped with a front disc, have your calipers checked. sometimes as the calipers heat up & expand they can stick

on the closed position. It is not common on a new bike but occasionally this can be the cause.

I road tested a 200 phantom with the same problem 6 months ago.

Also( this is a real stretch)but it did happen to my 125 wave Honda, the brake lever was replaced with an after market part.

The handle was just ever so slight in difference that when the bike got warmer the part of the handle that initiates the front braking was causing it to lock up.

they replaced with a genuine honda brake lever & it solved the problem.

correction: the diaphram is the part in the caliper that sticks!