What Documents Should Come With A Used Car ?

bow

I plan to buy my (Thai) neighbours old used car.

I understand that I must find an isurance agent and get a car insurance, but ....

What documents should my neighbour give me ?

How do I register myself as the new owner of the car ?

There seems to be a "book". What sort of book is this ?

(I live in Bangkok.)

The car should have a Blue Book. Make sure that the name in the blue book is the same as your neighboor, You should both go to the transportation office to change ownership. You will receive a new blue book with your name as owner.

• 2 weeks later...
The car should have a Blue Book. Make sure that the name in the blue book is the same as your neighboor, You should both go to the transportation office to change ownership. You will receive a new blue book with your name as owner.

I forget my manners.

Thank you very much. This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at buying a car where the blue book is in the name of the owner prveious to the one I ma buying it from (the owner is a farang) . Will there be any problems in transferring to my name? the new owner has teh filled out transfer papers from the guy he bought it off. I have a work permit. Also it is an old car- any problesm with getting the compulsory insurance?

Edited by trader1

Hello mate, a bit more info here for you:

The book is ok - i.e it does match the car (chassis number, engine number)

The name on the book is the same as the name on the signed I.D photocopy and the photocopy of the house papers (tabien bahn) which are still in date.

There are signed transfer papers, (in the right places) again from the same person.

You will not rec. a new book. Your name will be added to the pages. Only get new book when changing provinces, I think.

I am looking at buying a car where the blue book is in the name of the owner prveious to the one I ma buying it from (the owner is a farang) . Will there be any problems in transferring to my name? the new owner has teh filled out transfer papers from the guy he bought it off. I have a work permit. Also it is an old car- any problesm with getting the compulsory insurance?

When buying a car from a farang you have to have thier 'current' entry stamp, current visa (if theres one in there) and current entry card all photocopied.. The sale will not proceed unless the entry stamp is currently valid / not expired.

I know many many farang owned bikes where the owner is long gone and they cannot change. I myself have a bike in a mates name whose left the country.

Anyway, how about doing it this way: Let the seller be responsible for changing the ownership, that way you can be sure everything is in order. Or at the very least get confirmation form the land transport office that everything is in order and that they can proceed with the transfer.