Best Places To Retire In Th - Pls Help

In a few years I will retire to TH, and live there with my Thai wife to be. I would like some advice.

We would like to buy land and a small 2 or 3 bdrm house or bungalow.

We intend my wife to buy the land and me to buy the house.

We would like to spend no more than 3M or 4M THB.

Here are my questions:

What are the best places overall (if region did not matter)?

What are the best places not too far from the sea?

What are the best places not too far from the sea and from BKK?

If we buy in a tourist area, we can rent out the property for a few years before moving in.

What would the rate of rental return be on that?

Later. we could also rent out for a few months a year, while we are in Europe.

I have read that it does not make sense to buy, but rather that it is better to invest the money and rent a house with the income from investment. The reasoning is that income from investing, say, 3M THB, would produce more than renting a property that cost 3M THB.

So what are the pros and cons of buying and of investing to pay for rent?

If we decide to buy and build, how easy is it to have an ecologically friendly house built?

Many thanks for your ideas and advice.

Since you are in a relationship with a Thai woman, have you ever considered to ask her where you two could move? Too, every country is experiencing some sort of inflation and, with your indistinct goal of moving to Thailand "in a few years", you might need to reconsider your budget.

Why not drive around the Easstern Seaboard and look where you like to live?

On this forum, the benefits of building your own home were discussed and the general consensus was that it will be better and cheaper. This options seems best as you require a better home (check out SIPS as used by companies like http://www.ameripanel.com only quoted to present the technology).

I sure would love to hear of safe investments providing a return which would allow me to rent a home for say 3 M with the yield I would earn with 3 M!

a) One bad tenant will cost you dearly and I would expect your home would stay vacant like so many others.

:o Why not focus on the land?

c) Check the legal requirements - you better be prepared to lose it all by giving your wife the money and or land or home, as the governmeent requires her to declare the house was bought with her funds alone! Protect your interest, rent! Good for you if your relationship works out...

Good luck!

Why not drive around the Easstern Seaboard and look where you like to live?

On this forum, the benefits of building your own home were discussed and the general consensus was that it will be better and cheaper. This options seems best as you require a better home (check out SIPS as used by companies like http://www.ameripanel.com only quoted to present the technology).

I sure would love to hear of safe investments providing a return which would allow me to rent a home for say 3 M with the yield I would earn with 3 M!

a) One bad tenant will cost you dearly and I would expect your home would stay vacant like so many others.

:o Why not focus on the land?

c) Check the legal requirements - you better be prepared to lose it all by giving your wife the money and or land or home, as the governmeent requires her to declare the house was bought with her funds alone! Protect your interest, rent! Good for you if your relationship works out...

Good luck!

You can buy the house but not the land. You will also need a 30 year lease with the landowner that entitles to live there. Also make sure you have the right to sub-let the house if you eventually split up and want to move. Remember that what you own before you marry is yours and after you marry half of everything that you acquire belongs to your Thai spouse.