Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

96fm Vs 105fm Vs 103fm

wcr

A while ago I posted a thread about TV member Howard's new radio station 105FM and about how good it was. Most other posts were also supportive.

However we have another new station now, started by Pattaya People and called Yest2day on 96FM. Well I admit I am converted. Sorry Howard but 105 is now off my regular listening and has been replaced by 96. Why?

Well the music is a little more varied. Not really all my taste as I prefer the more newer stuff, and 96 seem to play more from the 60's and 70's as well as more modern stuff, but I think that is right for Pattaya. Also it has very good quality jingles, regular news updates that varies in content, advertisements that DON'T feature the same bloody voice (sorry again Howard) that is very repetitive.

As for 103? Well not worthy of mention as far as I am concerned.

Well done 96FM another quality radio station for Pattaya. And that can't be bad.

A while ago I posted a thread about TV member Howard's new radio station 105FM and about how good it was. Most other posts were also supportive.

However we have another new station now, started by Pattaya People and called Yest2day on 96FM. Well I admit I am converted. Sorry Howard but 105 is now off my regular listening and has been replaced by 96. Why?

Well the music is a little more varied. Not really all my taste as I prefer the more newer stuff, and 96 seem to play more from the 60's and 70's as well as more modern stuff, but I think that is right for Pattaya. Also it has very good quality jingles, regular news updates that varies in content, advertisements that DON'T feature the same bloody voice (sorry again Howard) that is very repetitive.

As for 103? Well not worthy of mention as far as I am concerned.

Well done 96FM another quality radio station for Pattaya. And that can't be bad.

Can't say I've tuned in to 96FM but 103 is possibly the worst thing I have ever listened to. Terrible music, awful adverts and tacky jingles. What is that all about when the guy introduces the news? Sounds like he's saying "This is the neeeewwwwwwwwwwws" down a drain pipe! 105 has taken it place recently and I find it much better and a good selection of music, but will give 96FM a chance.

We have also been converted from 105FM to 96FM as well but we do tend to change between these two stations they are both far away better than 103FM which is really amateur in comparison and DJ C on a morning gets worse and worse! We have stopped listening because it is just so bad!

WCR,

I think "fight" is a bit strong...having more radio stations providing international music can only be a good thing. What is also good about it is that you can now flick between stations if you happen not to like the song on the station of your choice. Before you did not have that option. 96FM is ok and they have spent some money on the jingle package for sure. But I still feel that 105's mix of music is more diverse and injecting new music into the playlist is good for the listeners who can keep up with the current hits from around the world. We also offer a request service via our website which allows listeners from Pattaya and around the World to truly participate in the station. There is plenty of room on the airwaves for all of us and plenty of people to listen to us, both Thai and Foreign...certainly no "fight"

Howard

Edited by hm1973

WCR,

I think "fight" is a bit strong...having more radio stations providing international music can only be a good thing. What is also good about it is that you can now flick between stations if you happen not to like the song on the station of your choice. Before you did not have that option. 96FM is ok and they have spent some money on the jingle package for sure. But I still feel that 105's mix of music is more diverse and injecting new music into the playlist is good for the listeners who can keep up with the current hits from around the world. We also offer a request service via our website which allows listeners from Pattaya and around the World to truly participate in the station. There is plenty of room on the airwaves for all of us and plenty of people to listen to us, both Thai and Foreign...certainly no "fight"

Howard

My brother was recently here for a 2 week holiday and described PCNFM as a 90's jukebox, which I thought was a very apt description.

'Current hits from around the world' is not really very accurate, but when in the car I do listen as you are the most up to date station. At home I listen to radio 1 online - that's modern music!

Tim

WCR,

Howard

My brother was recently here for a 2 week holiday and described PCNFM as a 90's jukebox, which I thought was a very apt description.

'Current hits from around the world' is not really very accurate, but when in the car I do listen as you are the most up to date station. At home I listen to radio 1 online - that's modern music!

Tim

Hi Tim,

We are certainly no Radio 1 but I do scan the radio 1 charts and playlist every week and include some new stuff on our playlist. We have music from the 60's right through to today. Yes, there is a lot of 90's on there but there is also plentry of other stuff to keep you entertained....I hope.

WCR,

Howard

Hi Howard

I joined TV a few months ago, but today is the first time I have sat down for a few hours and been through some of the threads. I must say I am impressed by your willingness to participate, I have read several threads to which you have contributed whilst taking all sorts of stick, so good on you.

I suspect I am in the minority age group of expats (early 30's), and would not expect a station aimed at my agegroup, but as I said yours does seem to be the most up to date. Now I have finally worked out how to program my car stereo its easy to find you after the g/f has borrowed the car, and is the only station I do listen to.

I agree with a poster on a different thread that you could do with some new ads, but I think we are lucky to have such a choice here in Pattaya. My brother as a first time visitor was amazed that we had English language radio!

Tim

Hi Tim,

We are certainly no Radio 1 but I do scan the radio 1 charts and playlist every week and include some new stuff on our playlist. We have music from the 60's right through to today. Yes, there is a lot of 90's on there but there is also plentry of other stuff to keep you entertained....I hope.

Agreed, 96FM is a huge improvement. The lack of a single voice "getting off" on being the only voice broadcast is wise, having no DJ personality to pay and pander to will keep their costs down and allows more music time. Personally I would like a little more news content; the literal one liner of a "fun or pun" news story headline is not good.

96 with music from the 50's 60's and 70's. What they forget is that is their demographic, people aged 50, 60 and 70 or older. I listen to Thai music stations rather than that dross. I have heard Dorris Day, Berle Ives and a number of other artists(?) that should have been left in the 40's and 50's and forgotten. Yesterday, they are firmly rooted in yesterday, and some time last century.

103, well if you can tune out the very bad announcing, the amateur use of effects on their adverts and promos, and the the inability of most of the announcers to speak understandable English, at least there is music from the last 10 or so years. They could expand the play list a little, so they do not repeat the same songs, you should be able to listen for more than 2 hours without hearing the same song repeated.

105, sorry have not noticed its music. Howard please get a real audio person to tune your voice so it is not as abrasive to the listeners, they can make a huge difference, also listen back to what you have recorded and be prepared to edit. That would apply to all the stations, but the rest are not brave enough to poke their heads up here, so I will make it a personal suggestion.

96 with music from the 50's 60's and 70's. What they forget is that is their demographic, people aged 50, 60 and 70 or older. I listen to Thai music stations rather than that dross. I have heard Dorris Day, Berle Ives and a number of other artists(?) that should have been left in the 40's and 50's and forgotten. Yesterday, they are firmly rooted in yesterday, and some time last century.

103, well if you can tune out the very bad announcing, the amateur use of effects on their adverts and promos, and the the inability of most of the announcers to speak understandable English, at least there is music from the last 10 or so years. They could expand the play list a little, so they do not repeat the same songs, you should be able to listen for more than 2 hours without hearing the same song repeated.

105, sorry have not noticed its music. Howard please get a real audio person to tune your voice so it is not as abrasive to the listeners, they can make a huge difference, also listen back to what you have recorded and be prepared to edit. That would apply to all the stations, but the rest are not brave enough to poke their heads up here, so I will make it a personal suggestion.

Hi Chang_paarp,

Yes, I am the only one that is willing to participate here but I don't quite understand your comments about 105 (sorry...won't comment about the other two stations). When you say, you have not noticed the music....what do you mean. Also the part about listening back to what I have recorded and be prepared to edit. I don't understand that as well. Please expand on your comments, you never know....I might learn a thing or two from you!!!!

Also I would be very interested to know what your preferred music format is and how old you are.

Howard

Edited by hm1973

Hi Chang_paarp,

Yes, I am the only one that is willing to participate here but I don't quite understand your comments about 105 (sorry...won't comment about the other two stations). When you say, you have not noticed the music....what do you mean. Also the part about listening back to what I have recorded and be prepared to edit. I don't understand that as well. Please expand on your comments, you never know....I might learn a thing or two from you!!!!

Also I would be very interested to know what your preferred music format is and how old you are.

Howard

I've given 96fm a chancethis week, but I still have to say 105fm is better for my music preferrence. It's like anything it's a matter of personal choice. In the UK kids listen to Radio 1, parents listen to radio 2 or 3. That said who on earth listens to 103fm? Total rubbish.

I am DJC and it is all well and good you harping on about how good 96.00 & 105 are, but they are both very different setups to 103, the reason being is that both Howard's and Niels, are done 100% on a PC, and why are they there? To get more advertising revenue for them, apart from their TV channels, I would be the first to admit that 96.00 is a great sound, it is by far the most professional sound in possibly Thailand, but its not because they are dedicated to the listener, they are dedicated to the viewer first. Whereas our radio station is aimed 100% at the listener.

Many of you are only too glad to slag me off, how about if we offer you a tryout as a DJ? No money-but if I didn't do it then you would get more piped music just like the other juke boxes (oh sorry- you can choose the music on a juke box) but we are the only station that can provide instant requests unlike the other stations. Also my show has themes each day (solid rock on Fri)pbr.

As for English speaking DJ's we have lost a few recently due to various reasons, therefore you do get the PC from time to time.

Also we were the original Multi language station and we still are providing both Thai and Western music. Unlike 96 or 105, we don't have a vast advertising budget to play with.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is fine, but don't go slagging me off. It must be nice to be perfect all you who want to take pot shots at me.

Believe it or not a lot of work goes into my shows, I have tried hard to get a good mix of music and regularly update my playlist, I give up to the minute news, and also add information where possible that helps listeners.

My show was heavily involved with the Bikerdaze event and is sure to be again.

Remember the proverb- "those who live in glass houses -shouldn't throw stones" (are you really that perfect?)

Finally don't you remember those early days of radio? When it was still fun- and wasn't so serious- thats how my shows are- after all this is LOS!

I am DJC and it is all well and good you harping on about how good 96.00 & 105 are, but they are both very different setups to 103, the reason being is that both Howard's and Niels, are done 100% on a PC, and why are they there? To get more advertising revenue for them, apart from their TV channels, I would be the first to admit that 96.00 is a great sound, it is by far the most professional sound in possibly Thailand, but its not because they are dedicated to the listener, they are dedicated to the viewer first. Whereas our radio station is aimed 100% at the listener.

Many of you are only too glad to slag me off, how about if we offer you a tryout as a DJ? No money-but if I didn't do it then you would get more piped music just like the other juke boxes (oh sorry- you can choose the music on a juke box) but we are the only station that can provide instant requests unlike the other stations. Also my show has themes each day (solid rock on Fri)pbr.

As for English speaking DJ's we have lost a few recently due to various reasons, therefore you do get the PC from time to time.

Also we were the original Multi language station and we still are providing both Thai and Western music. Unlike 96 or 105, we don't have a vast advertising budget to play with.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is fine, but don't go slagging me off. It must be nice to be perfect all you who want to take pot shots at me.

Believe it or not a lot of work goes into my shows, I have tried hard to get a good mix of music and regularly update my playlist, I give up to the minute news, and also add information where possible that helps listeners.

My show was heavily involved with the Bikerdaze event and is sure to be again.

Remember the proverb- "those who live in glass houses -shouldn't throw stones" (are you really that perfect?)

Finally don't you remember those early days of radio? When it was still fun- and wasn't so serious- thats how my shows are- after all this is LOS!

Hi Clive...how are you...long time no see!!!!

Firstly, I want to say that the effort you put into your show is superb and I applaud you for that....don't worry too much what people say about you here...just carry on doing what your doing.

Some of your comments are a bit strange..especially about advertising revenue. Every radio station requires a good revenue from advertising to survive....103 is no different.

I can't comment for 96 but 105 is 200% dedicated to the listener. I am not playing music I neccesarily enjoy...I have created a mix of sounds spanning 6 decades which I hope people will like. If they don't...I will adapt the sound where required. In fact I recently added more 60's to the playlist because listeners asked for it. If I played music on 105 that only I liked, no one would listen!!!! I run the radio as a seperate thing from PCN TV although many of my TV advertisers have decided to advertise on the radio as well.

You are not the only station to offer instant requests...we do as well....24 hours a day.

105 certainly does not have a vaste budget...our advertising rates are extremely low. I just want the station to survive. I most certainly will not become a millionaire from operating 105 (not even a Baht millionaire!!!).

Clive,

Our formats (96 and 105) are different to yours....and frankly our overall station sound is far more professional compared to 103. In business you must adapt to a changing environment and 2 new radio stations catering to the foreign market have been introduced so, if 103 wants to remain in the market, it must step-up to the plate and improve its output. It would be the same if another similar station to mine opened in Pattaya and its sound was far superior to mine...I would do my best to remain in the market and bring my station up to standard.

There is plenty of room on the airwaves for all three stations and plenty of advertisers out there who are willing to part with some Baht. 103 is unique because it has "live" DJ's...96 and 105 don't.

If you want to speak about this more Clive...call me....you have my number, or pop into my office.

Howard

Hi there Howard, yes how time flies by.

I often listen to you as well as 96. I wasn't knocking you or Niels in anyway. I was just explaining that both of you started in Pattaya in different forms of media, and both have TV and radio stations to your name. 103 is done on a budget, and has not got any of the hardware or software you guys have. That is why both your stations sound as good as they do!

I have tried hard to make my two hours a day of interest to the listener, and I understand everyone of us needs revenue to survive, but we don't have access to advertise on tv like yourselves. I hope that in future more will be spent on improving the station, but I am doubtful about this.Although we are on the net now with streaming-thanks to me.

As for instant requests, we can include a request within one track length time or shorter.

Ok I think I should get off this soapbox now, take care and see you soon.

Battle of the Airwaves - I'm all for it.

I'm am coming to this a bit late, but I have just spent the past 2 days intermittently listening to Howard's 105 station in my car and I have to say (advertising apart) it is excellent and much improved. The music was mostly great - a lot of 70s (too much?), and T Rex and the Sterophonics yesterday, and Neneh Cherry today leap to mind, displaying a good diversity of music.

I haven't listened to 106 for a while and will give that a couple of days of listening shortly. But one I won't be listening to was something which sounded suspiciously like a Pattaya Mail radio station when I was switching channels - it had a droning Scottish voice advertising it, then some desperately boring talkie about something nobody cares about by a droning woman's voice, reminiscent of PM'soporific content (or should I say filler) on the PM TV channel. I nearly crashed me car!

Well done Howard.

Battle of the Airwaves - I'm all for it.

I'm am coming to this a bit late, but I have just spent the past 2 days intermittently listening to Howard's 105 station in my car and I have to say (advertising apart) it is excellent and much improved. The music was mostly great - a lot of 70s (too much?), and T Rex and the Sterophonics yesterday, and Neneh Cherry today leap to mind, displaying a good diversity of music.

I haven't listened to 106 for a while and will give that a couple of days of listening shortly. But one I won't be listening to was something which sounded suspiciously like a Pattaya Mail radio station when I was switching channels - it had a droning Scottish voice advertising it, then some desperately boring talkie about something nobody cares about by a droning woman's voice, reminiscent of PM'soporific content (or should I say filler) on the PM TV channel. I nearly crashed me car!

Well done Howard.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
But one I won't be listening to was something which sounded suspiciously like a Pattaya Mail radio station when I was switching channels - it had a droning Scottish voice advertising it, then some desperately boring talkie about something nobody cares about by a droning woman's voice, reminiscent of PM'soporific content (or should I say filler) on the PM TV channel. I nearly crashed me car!

Well done Howard.

When I questioned Paul Strachan of PMTV, he said it was NOT his voice, and listening again I would confirm that. Now his boss from PM said the TRS (Tourist radio service), now Pattaya Bay Radio 103 was nothing to dow with Pattaya Mail group and were using PMTV broadcasts without permission. They were recording it from the PMTV broadcast and re-using it. IF this is TRUE, then why has he not told them to stop doing it. For his information, their studio is near The Waterfall bar behind ARC on Sukhumvit.

About ARC - listening to the competeing ARC and Euro PVC adverts on PCN105, I would buy from Euuo PVC as theirs is FUN and ARC in not inspiring (come to up because we have been here 20 years)

:oON-LINE SERVICE[/b

When in the car, I favour 96, but do swap to 105. But at home I listen to 105 only as Pattayapeopleradio dot com has a bandwidth problem and is continually buffering. 10 aec music and 5 sec silence.

Being a BRIT, I also love listening to The Goon Show on BBC7 [ http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/bbc7/channel.shtml ]

I listen to all of the 3 in the car and I have to say i'm tied between 105fm & 96fm as being the best.

I think 96fm is the best advertising wise (not because of my ads :D ) but I do think the music of there can be a bit too European shall we say and middle of the rd but all in all I like the whole professionalism of it, 105 seems to have alot more modern stuff and is also very good.

Sorry to say 103fm is not really on for more than a song at a time and I only used to really listen when there was the blues hour on there which stopped a couple of months ago, I think its the least professional of the 3. :o

Hopefully there will be some blues stuff coming on 96fm soon. :D

I listen to all of the 3 in the car and I have to say i'm tied between 105fm & 96fm as being the best.

I think 96fm is the best advertising wise (not because of my ads :D ) but I do think the music of there can be a bit too European shall we say and middle of the rd but all in all I like the whole professionalism of it, 105 seems to have alot more modern stuff and is also very good.

Sorry to say 103fm is not really on for more than a song at a time and I only used to really listen when there was the blues hour on there which stopped a couple of months ago, I think its the least professional of the 3. :D

Maybe they need someone to sponsor a show. :D

You could assist in the programming too. :o

I think 96fm is the best advertising wise (not because of my ads :bah: ) but I do think the music of there can be a bit too European shall we say and middle of the rd but all in all I like the whole professionalism of it, 105 seems to have alot more modern stuff and is also very good.

Sorry to say 103fm is not really on for more than a song at a time and I only used to really listen when there was the blues hour on there which stopped a couple of months ago, I think its the least professional of the 3. :D

Maybe they need someone to sponsor a show. :D

You could assist in the programming too. :o

Those wheels are already in motion. (they've done some superb ad's for me) :D

• 1 month later...
Talking about advertising on the radio have you heard the new ad for Simon's chippy in Jomtien on 105FM? It is a take on the old hovis advert in the UK, music and all, I was laughing so much I had to stop the car!

Quality radio ad for a change - but it has been edited to remove the 'you fat bastard' bit.