International Roaming For Prepaid Thai Service

Digitalbanana

I have a Happy DTAC account which doesn't allow International Roaming (IR) unless you have a Thai work permit, Thai credit card and a lot of time to register prior each overseas trip. At least that was case last time I asked a year ago. Consequently when I travel out of Thailand I have no phone contact til I buy a new local prepaid card somewhere!

I bought a Telkomsel Simpati prepaid card whilst in Jakarta, came back to Thailand and it works here instantly without any enrollment on my part. There is even an option to sms to get cheap local call rates whilst roaming. As soon as your top up money runs out so does your roaming. Fair enough.

Is AIS as archaic as DTAC in this regard? How do other foreigners handle IR with Thai pre-paids without the help of a Thai if not working themselves here?

Edited by Digitalbanana

Hi :o

I have D-TAC prepaid on my GSM phone too, and mine roams just fine - when i went to Cambodia i did just for fun (i had D-TAC coverage there right at the border) log in to a cambodian network (CAMshin GSM) and i was able to make and receive calls..... no problem. But i have that same D-TAC number for almost 4 years already, and always have minimum 500 Baht in it.

Best regards....

Thanh

I have a Happy DTAC account which doesn't allow International Roaming (IR) unless you have a Thai work permit, Thai credit card and a lot of time to register prior each overseas trip. At least that was case last time I asked a year ago. Consequently when I travel out of Thailand I have no phone contact til I buy a new local prepaid card somewhere!

I bought a Telkomsel Simpati prepaid card whilst in Jakarta, came back to Thailand and it works here instantly without any enrollment on my part. There is even an option to sms to get cheap local call rates whilst roaming. As soon as your top up money runs out so does your roaming. Fair enough.

Is AIS as archaic as DTAC in this regard? How do other foreigners handle IR with Thai pre-paids without the help of a Thai if not working themselves here?

You can activate Roaming with HAPPY on line without any need for a Work Permit. With the PrePaid service you are limited to just a few countries. Australia, Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Pakistan, Philippines , Singapore, Sweden and Turkey.

It's the Post Paid service that requires more paperwork or if you wish to use Roaming in countries other than the above.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

One-2-Call (pre-paid) allow for extensive international roaming. You do have to register for this service, call 1175 from your mobile, or 02 271 9000.

Tariffs are quite high, in the U.S.A. calls to Thailand and incoming calls are 75 baht per minute while local calls are 84.63 baht/min. I think SMS'es are free in-bound and 10 baht each outbound. I use two phones when roaming, logging calls on my Thai number and then returning calls on my local-SIM equipped phone.

You can activate Roaming with HAPPY on line without any need for a Work Permit. With the PrePaid service you are limited to just a few countries. Australia, Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Pakistan, Philippines , Singapore, Sweden and Turkey.

It's the Post Paid service that requires more paperwork or if you wish to use Roaming in countries other than the above.

You are right - I think! Thanks for the useful feedback at least I can use in Indonesia and Singapore if not the other Asian countries! It appears this is a more recent service that doesn't need the work permit but only valid for the countries mentioned and they are working on expanding. I got this info today dialing 1678 help line ext 7 for English and they said to activate this IR one time only was free and done by dialing 1018. Unfortunately 1018 isn't answering right now for me to try. I cannot find any web link to do it. All other countries in the world need a work permit as described in http://www.happy.co.th/en/service/happy_gointer/ which isn't much use if one doesn't work here.

One-2-Call (pre-paid) allow for extensive international roaming. You do have to register for this service, call 1175 from your mobile, or 02 271 9000.

Yes, I've heard One2Call is way easier on the IR. Unfortunately my Thai wife says she won't talk to me if I ever use their service, something to do with the former owner methinks! A pity DTAC cannot offer the same service.

Main reason I use DTAC (Happy) in Thailand is because it is so cheap. I am still on their 25 satang/min plan with GPRS as well which is great for surfing or talk. Last time I looked One2Call wanted 5 baht/min! The IR is just a nuisance when I travel but worth it for the large difference in rates. Of course all the above numbers could be out dated now, with new price plans being sold every other day. I cannot be bothered to check them all.

You are right - I think! Thanks for the useful feedback at least I can use in Indonesia and Singapore if not the other Asian countries! It appears this is a more recent service that doesn't need the work permit but only valid for the countries mentioned and they are working on expanding. I got this info today dialing 1678 help line ext 7 for English and they said to activate this IR one time only was free and done by dialing 1018. Unfortunately 1018 isn't answering right now for me to try. I cannot find any web link to do it. All other countries in the world need a work permit as described in http://www.happy.co.th/en/service/happy_gointer/ which isn't much use if one doesn't work here.

You can activate it online.

Register here: http://sonic2.dtac.co.th:8005/bp3/bin/DpromptIndex?lang=E (You can use any details of your choosing) Once registered, you will be able to handle your account online. Another bonus once you've registered is that you get 50 free web to DTAC mobile SMS messages per month. Useful when you're out of the country.

Much better than that expensive One2Call. :o

Yes, I've heard One2Call is way easier on the IR. Unfortunately my Thai wife says she won't talk to me if I ever use their service, something to do with the former owner methinks! A pity DTAC cannot offer the same service.

Main reason I use DTAC (Happy) in Thailand is because it is so cheap. I am still on their 25 satang/min plan with GPRS as well which is great for surfing or talk. Last time I looked One2Call wanted 5 baht/min! The IR is just a nuisance when I travel but worth it for the large difference in rates. Of course all the above numbers could be out dated now, with new price plans being sold every other day. I cannot be bothered to check them all.

DTAC do offer a full Roaming service, but only Post Paid.

One-2-Call's website is just the worst. Is it in English or is it in Thai? They just can't seem to decide.

http://www.one-2-call.com/content/products...edom_planet.htm

Main reason I use DTAC (Happy) in Thailand is because it is so cheap. I am still on their 25 satang/min plan with GPRS as well which is great for surfing or talk. Last time I looked One2Call wanted 5 baht/min! The IR is just a nuisance when I travel but worth it for the large difference in rates.

Just curious about your 25 satang rate...Do you pay a higher rate for the 1st minute and how did you qualify for this rate? Thanx!

Edited by mauiguy90

If you are overseas for more than a couple of weeks it is ALWAYS worth

looking for a local SIM card in the country. Much cheaper than roaming.

I've been using an international sim card for over a year now. The one I use is from Mobal, and at that time it cost me U.S. $2.50. I use it here in Canada for emergency in case the car breaks down. I have to use this sim card at least once a year in order to keep it online. My cell phone bill last year was less than CDN $2. I haven't tried it yet, but when I visit Thailand with my wife, like Astral mentioned above, I have the option of switching to a local sim card after I find one.

With DTAC post-paid (contract) is the way to go - just get the zero contract. IR is a one off fee of around 1000 baht I think. It works well and has very good coverage in most countries.

Alternatively, as already pointed out, some cards from neighboring countries are very good - another example is digi prepaid from malaysia. Very good online management, IR and data come as standard.

If you would like a UK mobile number that can be transferred to several South East Asian countries local numbers with no cost to you, please PM me. Likewise for a solution to receive sms in many countries free of charge, please PM me.

Great, thanks for link. I actually missed this as I use Firefox and the web site doesn't display correctly, though I didn't realize. Using IE the activate feature is obvious. What isn't obvious, though I was told by a service rep, that my Happy local rates will revert back to my current once I de-activate the Happy Go Inter on line after I return from an overseas trip. I hope that is case as my current rates are cheaper than any currently on offer!

Just curious about your 25 satang rate...Do you pay a higher rate for the 1st minute and how did you qualify for this rate? Thanx!

Yes, the 1st minute is 3baht, then after 25 satang/min for both voice and GPRS if using one network of DTAC's. I applied for it online through their web site almost two years ago, and now that promotion is no longer there as an option to change to though my plan is listed as current. Occasionally I get a service sms from Happy saying the promotion will end on such a date, but it never seems to come the time. I last topped up in April with 800baht max when they matched my top up fee as it was on my birthday with another 800baht. I haven't topped up since and don't expect to until the validity expiry date in Feb arrives. Certainly the cheapest phone service I have seen, and AIS prices seem ridiculous in comparison. I just don't want to screw it up if I go Inter!

Great, thanks for link. I actually missed this as I use Firefox and the web site doesn't display correctly, though I didn't realize. Using IE the activate feature is obvious. What isn't obvious, though I was told by a service rep, that my Happy local rates will revert back to my current once I de-activate the Happy Go Inter on line after I return from an overseas trip. I hope that is case as my current rates are cheaper than any currently on offer!

The operator is correct. Your domestic tariff is not affected by activating IR.

So this will let you register for IR with a happy sim - how much will they charge ? Last time I looked it was over 1000 aht per time you go abroad (or each activation only had a certain period it would work for, unliike DTAC post pay)

And, how long will they IR activation last for ?

Thanks

PS do you know if a sim has been activated and the sim is outisde of thailand, activating IR online will enable use of the sim without it returning to thailand ?

Register here: http://sonic2.dtac.co.th:8005/bp3/bin/DpromptIndex?lang=E (You can use any details of your choosing) Once registered, you will be able to handle your account online. Another bonus once you've registered is that you get 50 free web to DTAC mobile SMS messages per month. Useful when you're out of the country.

Much better than that expensive One2Call. :o

Yes, the 1st minute is 3baht, then after 25 satang/min for both voice and GPRS if using one network of DTAC's. I applied for it online through their web site almost two years ago, and now that promotion is no longer there as an option to change to though my plan is listed as current. Occasionally I get a service sms from Happy saying the promotion will end on such a date, but it never seems to come the time. I last topped up in April with 800baht max when they matched my top up fee as it was on my birthday with another 800baht. I haven't topped up since and don't expect to until the validity expiry date in Feb arrives. Certainly the cheapest phone service I have seen, and AIS prices seem ridiculous in comparison. I just don't want to screw it up if I go Inter!

Thanx DB!

So this will let you register for IR with a happy sim - how much will they charge ? Last time I looked it was over 1000 aht per time you go abroad (or each activation only had a certain period it would work for, unliike DTAC post pay)

And, how long will they IR activation last for ?

Thanks

PS do you know if a sim has been activated and the sim is outisde of thailand, activating IR online will enable use of the sim without it returning to thailand ?

Have you considered directing your question at someone who works for HAPPY.

The SIM card has to be In-Country to be activated for IR.

If you had perused the thread....you would have seen Digitalbanana's post

I got this info today dialing 1678 help line ext 7 for English and they said to activate this IR one time only was free and done by dialing 1018.

Hello!!

We're representative of DTAC.We appreciate to inform you about Happy Go Inter for prepaid customer registration( International Roaming Service ).The latest service for using International Roaming of prepaid users is "CAMEL" that offer the easily way for our customers. By the way, you can register for CAMEL without any documents which you can roam with 21 operators in 16 countries ( Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Maldives, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sweden and Turkey ) which you can register via *1018 ( free call ) from your Happy number or contact call center, Service Hall and Own Shop or else you can register on www.happy.co.th .

However, if the countries you need to go is not mention above , you should to apply for " Happy Go Inter " ( without fees 214฿ untill 31/12/2007 ) at any branches of DTAC Service Hall except Suvanabhumi airport, which we will inform you all informations with following ;

- Passport and Work Permit

- Visa or Master credit card at least using 90 days and activing in Thailand and sim card

- You should to apply the service before go aboard at least 24 hours - After activate, the service will be available only for 30 days and you have to pay the credit for advance at least 1000 Baht or more based on how long you will go.

- If the credit you pay more than the real airtime , we 'll refund it back by Citibank's cheque within 90 days if you pay by credit card or 60 days if you pay be cash.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again at [email protected] , http://www.dtac.co.th/tha/contact/enquiry.html and Call Center 1678 or 022027000 if there is anything else we can do for you.

So if you dont want to go to :

Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Maldives, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sweden and Turkey

then :

* You need to have a work permit

* pay 1000 baht - which appears can be used against call credit

* only have the service for 30 days

* have to wait at least 60 days to get a refund if used less then 1000 baht

Seems a significant difference between the two ! What if I wanted to to UK or USA for 6 months ? What would I do then ? And I dont have a Thai work permit !

Well, prove my preconceptions wrong about Customer Service in Thailand and respond to the above, but I have a strong feeling I know what may happen...

As a suggestion why not just take an appropriate amount in advance (large as may be as I know billing for roaming calls can be difficult) and then when the credit goes below say 500 baht, bar outward and incoming calls. There may be some far better solutions. Other operators in the region seem to be able to offer this. For example look at Digi in Malaysia. Their prepay cards cost 6 RM, come with 4RM credit and automatically have interbational roaming enabled. How do they do that ?

Hello!!

We're representative of DTAC.We appreciate to inform you about Happy Go Inter for prepaid customer registration( International Roaming Service ).The latest service for using International Roaming of prepaid users that offer the easily way for our customers. By the way, you can register without any documents which you can roam with 21 operators in 16 countries ( Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Maldives, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sweden and Turkey ) which you can register via *1018 ( free call ) from your Happy number or contact call center, Service Hall and Own Shop or else you can register on www.happy.co.th .

However, if the countries you need to go is not mention above , you should to apply for " Happy Go Inter " ( without fees 214฿ untill 31/12/2007 ) at any branches of DTAC Service Hall except Suvanabhumi airport, which we will inform you all informations with following ;

- Visa or Master credit card at least using 90 days and activing in Thailand and sim card

- You should to apply the service before go aboard at least 24 hours - After activate, the service will be available only for 30 days and you have to pay the credit for advance at least 1000 Baht or more based on how long you will go.

- If the credit you pay more than the real airtime , we 'll refund it back by Citibank's cheque within 90 days if you pay by credit card or 60 days if you pay be cash.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again at [email protected] , http://www.dtac.co.th/tha/contact/enquiry.html and Call Center 1678 or 022027000 if there is anything else we can do for you.

• 2 weeks later...

feedback - your reply is missing - care to post again ?

Hello!!

We're representative of DTAC.We appreciate to inform you about Happy Go Inter for prepaid customer registration( International Roaming Service ).The latest service for using International Roaming of prepaid users that offer the easily way for our customers. By the way, you can register without any documents which you can roam with 21 operators in 16 countries ( Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Maldives, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sweden and Turkey ) which you can register via *1018 ( free call ) from your Happy number or contact call center, Service Hall and Own Shop or else you can register on www.happy.co.th .

Hello!!

We're representative of DTAC.We appreciate to inform you about Happy Go Inter for prepaid customer registration( International Roaming Service ).The latest service for using International Roaming of prepaid users is "CAMEL" that offer the easily way for our customers. By the way, you can register for CAMEL without any documents which you can roam with 21 operators in 16 countries ( Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Maldives, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sweden and Turkey ) which you can register via *1018 ( free call ) from your Happy number or contact call center, Service Hall and Own Shop or else you can register on www.happy.co.th .

all these doesn't makes sense to me! we are pre-paid subscribers which mean "WE PAY FIRST" before we use DTAC services so why do we need work permit, visa card, etc. to get registered to "Go Inter" program? Our passports to verify our identity should be more than enough for registering - AIS doesn't even require passport to activate IR.

for the post-paid subscribers it is necessary to do such thing because they can run away with their bills unpaid.

to tell you the truth, i'm using DTAC pre-paid in thailand but when i roam in malaysia and singapore i switch to AIS. now, why is that???

Edited by thai_narak

This is a really good question and issue. I've been a DTAC pre-paid customer for years, but never tried to use their IR, because I always had a USA mobile number (which I've now surrendered because of moving here, and not wanting to pay a monthly charge for USA phone service that I'd almost never use, considering all the U.S. carriers want $1.50 to $2 per minute for roaming service in LOS).

Lately, for other reasons, I wanted to change my DTAC service from pre-paid to post-paid, for other reasons. But when I went to DTAC, they said as mentioned above, I needed to show passport and work permit, the latter of which I don't have. And, despite cajoling, they remained consistent and firm in multiple calls and contacts -- no work permit, no postpaid service.

BUT....lately, I'd also subscribed with TRUE for UBC cable and DSL internet, with a bit of help from a Thai friend who used his Thai ID to help me open the cable account for my home (they too wanted a work permit, if I signed up alone). So, I thought I'd try post-paid with TRUE. Called and went to their shops and got the same answer, need work permit for their postpaid service.

But then finally, not to be deterred, I went to one of their mobile service shops carrying in hand my latest billing invoices for TRUE from cable and DSL, and basically said to the staff... HEY...I'm an existing customer. You already have approved me for cable and DSL. So how about adding post-paid mobile service based on my passport and multi-entry business visa. And after a bit of cajoling and smiling and conferring between the service ladies...they finally agreed...and voila... now have True post pay service for the mobile. So it can be done...sometimes...without a work permit, if you weazel a bit!

However, in doing so, I also looked at TRUE's roaming rates for service in the U.S., which are OUTRAGEOUS, not because of True, but because of the U.S. mobile carriers and their service monopolies. Basically, using anything IR in the U.S. would cost more than 40 baht, and close to 50 baht, per minute depending on the carrier. Thai IR in the U.S. through ATT was higher, and T-Mobile was a bit lower, but still a RIPOFF.

Given the prices, I'd opt to use my existing GSM unlocked phone and just get a pre-paid SIM from T-Mobile when I occasionally arrive back in the U.S. Rates are far lower, and you can top up online, as well as through other means. Of course, when I call the U.S. from Thailand now, I use my computer and Net2Phone (a flat 5 cents per minute to any mobile or landline) or sometimes Skype Out. No reason someone cant do the same when traveling abroad, providing you have net service.

John, formerly from LA

OFF TOPIC

Just wanted to say that i got both UBC and later TRUE ADSL in my own name without any work permit - UBC in fact didn't even ask for the passport! All that UBC asked for was the landlord's permit to install the dish (i live in a rented studio) which i got and my name, plus the installation fee.

Later i got ADSL by going to the TRUE shop (real shop in Central Bangna, not a mobile stall on the street side) and simply signing up for it - again, the permit from the landlord was needed (as the phone line is in the name of the apartment) and this time also my passport - first page only! No interest in the visa (which at that time i didn't have - only 30-day stamps!) and i got TRUE ADSL in my name (funny thing is the name on the rent contract is my boyfriend's - he got that room days before i arrived here). But i live in that same room since 7 years, i guess if i wanted to they would allow me everything in here :o

I have a postpaid contract with Hutch which is NOT in my name but my boyfriend's (he is Thai of course) and i asked a few times if it can be transferred into my name, being obvious who's the user - since day one it has been paid by Visa Electron from that bank account with MY name on it, however they too insist on work permit. They even insist on the work permit when i just want to extend the promotion (as Hutch gives a free or substantially cheaper phone once a year upon renewing the promotion). They won't let me do it! My boyfriend has to come along, show his I.D. and sign. Stupid... if i were a business, all that matters to me is where the money comes from - since it's coming from MY account, why not let ME have the contract??? I wonder that they allow me to pay the bill in first place :D

But still, about all you guy's problems with D-TAC..... has anyone actually TRIED if it roams? As i stated earlier, i have never applied for roaming or anything on my pre-paid D-TAC and when i go to Cambodia, it roams very happily (HAPPY D-Prompt after all!) on the Cambodian networks, i can make and receive calls as well as send SMS.

Best regards.....

Thanh

OFF TOPIC

Just wanted to say that i got both UBC and later TRUE ADSL in my own name without any work permit - UBC in fact didn't even ask for the passport! All that UBC asked for was the landlord's permit to install the dish (i live in a rented studio) which i got and my name, plus the installation fee.

Later i got ADSL by going to the TRUE shop (real shop in Central Bangna, not a mobile stall on the street side) and simply signing up for it - again, the permit from the landlord was needed (as the phone line is in the name of the apartment) and this time also my passport - first page only! No interest in the visa (which at that time i didn't have - only 30-day stamps!) and i got TRUE ADSL in my name (funny thing is the name on the rent contract is my boyfriend's - he got that room days before i arrived here). But i live in that same room since 7 years, i guess if i wanted to they would allow me everything in here :o

I have a postpaid contract with Hutch which is NOT in my name but my boyfriend's (he is Thai of course) and i asked a few times if it can be transferred into my name, being obvious who's the user - since day one it has been paid by Visa Electron from that bank account with MY name on it, however they too insist on work permit. They even insist on the work permit when i just want to extend the promotion (as Hutch gives a free or substantially cheaper phone once a year upon renewing the promotion). They won't let me do it! My boyfriend has to come along, show his I.D. and sign. Stupid... if i were a business, all that matters to me is where the money comes from - since it's coming from MY account, why not let ME have the contract??? I wonder that they allow me to pay the bill in first place :D

But still, about all you guy's problems with D-TAC..... has anyone actually TRIED if it roams? As i stated earlier, i have never applied for roaming or anything on my pre-paid D-TAC and when i go to Cambodia, it roams very happily (HAPPY D-Prompt after all!) on the Cambodian networks, i can make and receive calls as well as send SMS.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanh, obviously we tried but it didn't roam that's why i always bring AIS sim card with me.

i think this is the very first thing that all of us do after arriving at the destination, to turn our cell phones "on" and see if it has service or not....

just for curiosity's sake, went to dtac webpage to see the requirements for IR registration and guess what? no work permit required! i guess the people sitting in the dtac offices don't know anything about the requirements and work permit is just automatically asked.

check out the attachment or the link.

http://www.dtac.co.th/eng/services/interse..._get_ready.html

requirements.bmp

I travel quite a bit and found this the best formula to keep the costs down

Have a AIS Sim card in one Phone - keep it topped up. SMS and note calls that come in

In each country buy a LOCAL SIM card - Never more than 200-500 Baht

put this in my 2nd phone. Use this phone for all outgoing calls

Get a Skype-in Number in the US or Europe. Have all your people know this is your 'Roaming Number'

When you goto each country setup Skype to do Call forwarding to whatever Local SIM card you are using

Example

I can be in KL and have a local SIM card -

Somebody in Germany calls my US Skype In # - They pay for the call to the US

I have my Skype account setup to Forward to my KL number (only takes a few seconds to change the forward #)

I pay out of my Skype account about 2 cents a minute for a Skype billed call to Maylaysia.

I know it sounds complicated, but if you are traveling extensively and paying all your expenses it saves LOTS of cash. One of my collegues who travels about the same just uses a post-bill True plan on roaming and his roaming bill is more than 40k BAHT a month.

Using this system I get out for 2k at most since I already have a SIM for every country in Asia.

btw... Yahoo voice also offers all the same services and their prices are sometime lots less than SKYPE, however through my experience, I have found their call quality not as consistent.