Christmas In Thailand

silapin

We hardly acknowledge Christmas are we are not Christians.

We live in the sticks, and I have never seen any evidence of anybody concerned with it.

Last year it was after midday before I realised it was Christmas day.

Christmas is a big deal for my family back in Ireland, so I always give them a call late on Christmas day.

When I was young it was my favorite time of year.

This year we plan to go to Ireland for the whole of December so that my son can meet his grandparents.

So we will likely get caught up in the festive mood.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really appreciate getting away from all that festive nonsense around Christmastime. Is it not party time year round in Thailand?...it is in Pattaya.

I learned quick smart that you can party like it's Christmas no matter where you are and no matter what the time of year is as long as you have good friends, good food, and a few c-c-c-old ones. :o

I can just picture it now a Thai choir singing Flostee the Serno ma in the middle of Patpong.

Last Xmas I saw a major bank sponsoring Xmas outside a mall, thats more like it eh ? :o

:D

"Jinga ben jinga ben, jinga awda wayyyyyyyyy" is a particular favourite of mine. Sung at 150dB in local supermarkets by chipmunks on helium, it tends to speed me on my merry way back to the UK for the Festive Season and New Year. Thanks. :D

I can just picture it now a Thai choir singing Flostee the Serno ma in the middle of Patpong.

Last Xmas I saw a major bank sponsoring Xmas outside a mall, thats more like it eh ? :o

:D

"Jinga ben jinga ben, jinga awda wayyyyyyyyy" is a particular favourite of mine. Sung at 150dB in local supermarkets by chipmunks on helium, it tends to speed me on my merry way back to the UK for the Festive Season and New Year. Thanks. :D

suprised you dont know the words, its "jingen ben, jingen ben ..."

Edited by t.s

If it's any consolation for our Christian brethren, they don't seem to celebrate Hanukkah much either.

Mind you, most predominately Christian countries don't seem to do much for Buddhist holidays. Strange that :o

Edited by garro

I used to get reaaaalllly miserable during Christmas time on the first few years of my life in Thailand. That was until I discovered that I could celebrate Thai festivals just like Thais. For Thai Children, they get excited on the second Saturday of January because that is Wan Dek or Children's Day. To them, this is just like Christmas and parents go out of their way to take their kids to wherever there might be some activities - take them to the fire station so that kids can clamber onto the fire engines, or go to the airport and get onboard a real airplane.

Then there is Songkran - need I say more. In a few weeks time, it will be Loy Krathong.

So for me - I no longer miss Christmas.

Can anyone share there experiences of specific events/places etc? Carol singing, carol concerts and nativity shows etc for both families and adults.

I used to get reaaaalllly miserable during Christmas time on the first few years of my life in Thailand. That was until I discovered that I could celebrate Thai festivals just like Thais. For Thai Children, they get excited on the second Saturday of January because that is Wan Dek or Children's Day. To them, this is just like Christmas and parents go out of their way to take their kids to wherever there might be some activities - take them to the fire station so that kids can clamber onto the fire engines, or go to the airport and get onboard a real airplane.

Then there is Songkran - need I say more. In a few weeks time, it will be Loy Krathong.

So for me - I no longer miss Christmas.

Can anyone share there experiences of specific events/places etc? Carol singing, carol concerts and nativity shows etc for both families and adults.

looking forward for this "wan dek" or childrens' day

Edited by thai_narak

I am leaving England for Thailand next month and it will be my first Christmas away from home - and alone!

Any ideas of what to do will be gratefully received!

I'm sure you'll find plenty of things to do. :o

I'll put decorations up in the bars but that is it. Do I want a rip off priced Xmas meal under a strict time limit so the restaurant can maximise profits ? Like hel_l do I.

Make some extra cash and go away in February for a holiday.

My wingman and I brought "Christmas Balls" from the states to hang on the bushes in the bars... :o

One of the reasons i left england was to get away from that awful commercial time they call christmas,. i avoid any place that has that awful moronic music,and decorations, ill be riding my bike around cambodia whilst most are eating turkey ! im back for new year as i do like the atmosphere in walking st that night !.

If I'm in Thailand Xmas, and normally am, I go to TQ2 Xams eve night and TQ's Xmas day for a romp in the snow and aa good few cold 'uns but it don't sound like that's exactly your scene. But this year I have to provide site cover for my patch so will miss it. I don't know how much of a deal they make of it here in VN but as it will be a normal work day I guess for me it'll be no big deal.

Like many others I have got heartily sick of the whole bluddy thing in the UK. They can't wait to shove it down your neck, adverts on tv start anytime in September, and then by Xam lunchtime the tv is nothing but adverts for sales and winter holidays.

Ho bluddy ho. :o

Like many others I have got heartily sick of the whole bluddy thing in the UK. They can't wait to shove it down your neck, adverts on tv start anytime in September, and then by Xam lunchtime the tv is nothing but adverts for sales and winter holidays.

Ho bluddy ho. :o

It's actually more for credit card debt help / advice these days, Phil. :D

I really appreciate the absence of Christmas celebrations in Thailand.

Shopping malls, banks, gyms...all open as usual.

---------------------

I must admit Christmas is my favorite holiday and I really like the way the big stores on beach road in Pattaya are all decorated inside and out.

And yes I am glad that the banks are open too... :o

Got 3 office parties already booked up..4 business /company lunches,umteen afterwork swallow sessions,end of year escape committee pub crawl,an away day weekend to Paris/Brussels for christmas goodies and our local shopping centres and pubs have all the decs up..lights,trees,trimmings ready to switch on....

and o yes the barrels of Winter Warmer ....for the celebrations........and it only Nov 10th....roll on Easter..... :o

Xmas has no relevance in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter since it is an extension of some ridiculous pagan tradition hijacked by a corrupt organisation trying to get adherents in thr

Wanna celebrate the life/death of the figurehead of the biggest bunch of hypocrites in recorded history? Great, fly off to lapland and do it with santa, the easter bunny an all the rest of your make believe people and the sky pixie father.

The judeo-xtian tradition is a pox on humanity, and xtianity is its biggest most disgusting and hypocritical boil.