Pattaya Now Has Legal Metered Taxis!

Jingthing

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to confuse things over the weekend I saw 2 two-tone (Yellow top, bottom blue) Pattaya taxis around Pattaya and 1 all yellow Bangkok taxi!

Last night there were 2 taxis parked outside the new Avenue Mall for all to see (and use). From what I've read on here it sounds like they are picking spots from where they hope to get good business rather than roaming the city waiting for a fare. Sort of makes sense as there are so fw of them at the moment.

Fresnoboy, if you ask a songthaew driver the price to Rayong they'll tell you 1k Baht as well. For a real evaluation of whether they're metered or not (as in, willing to use the meter) you need to get in one and give a destination in Pattaya and see if they will use the meter or ask a fixed rate.

As much as I would like to have cheap 24/7 taxis available, also on the "dark side" (east side of Sukhumvit), I still think it is a pipe dream. This is not BKK/NYC/Paris/London/Alice Springs.

By all means keep pushing it if you believe in it (and then I can be a free rider later...)

But to be more practical: There are so many people around here with a car/truck/van that will be very happy to take you anywhere and back most times of night and day, and for a reasonable price, and in safety. Get to know your local guy, and you are sorted. Well not fully, but a good start.

Sorry to pizz on the parade (again).

Just to confuse things over the weekend I saw 2 two-tone (Yellow top, bottom blue) Pattaya taxis around Pattaya and 1 all yellow Bangkok taxi!

Were these taxis actually available for hire or were they simply Bangkok drivers taking the company car on a weekend holiday?

Were these taxis actually available for hire or were they simply Bangkok drivers taking the company car on a weekend holiday?

The two tone ones had Pattaya Taxi written on the back window and the Pattaya 038 'phone number on the side. One of them was #3. One had a passenger in and the other was waiting outside The Avenue parked up with an all yellow taxi.

Edited by PattayaParent

helo, i am going on a trip with my gfs and buddies, total about 5 persons, and we're thinking 5 persons might be a big squeeze in a cab towards pattaya from bangkok.

we're not so into taking the bus either cuz we're going over for the weekend. any suggestions or do u know any number where we can geta taxi that is bigger like a MPV?

thank you PattayaParent, i guess that is what i need.

Typing a email to them as i reply you, can they understand english? LOL, just in case they do not even check thier inbox, i believe u have used them before and how is thier reponse via internet?

Typing a email to them as i reply you, can they understand english? LOL, just in case they do not even check thier inbox, i believe u have used them before and how is thier reponse via internet?

Give this guy a call. You'll get a very roomy minivan for 1,500 straight to Pattaya.

post-34982-1198064819_thumb.jpg

Edited by tropo

!!!! NEWS FLASH !!!!

I spoke to a PATTAYA TAXI METER driver today waiting in front of Avenue Mall.

This was definitely a PATTAYA TAXI METER.

This is what he told me. I asked him the same questions two of three times to get confirmation:

--- He has a meter

--- He uses the meter

--- The flag fall is 35 baht SAME AS BANGKOK, which is exactly how he put it

--- The company which owns only 20 cabs now will come to your place and take you somewhere with NO EXTRA SERVICE CHARGE

Too good to be true? Maybe.

Here is the phone number on his cab which he said to call when needing a pickup.

038 368113

!!!! NEWS FLASH !!!!

This is what he told me. I asked him the same questions two of three times to get confirmation:

--- He has a meter

--- He uses the meter

--- The company which owns only 20 cabs now will come to your place and take you somewhere with NO EXTRA SERVICE CHARGE

Here is the phone number on his cab which he said to call when needing a pickup.

038 368113

And after finally capturing one of your elusive and much maligned pattaya yellow cabs, YOU DID NOT CLIMB IN, TAKE A RIDE AND CONFIRM THE DRIVERS SPIEL???!!! What the <deleted>, over???!!!

Now we can look forward to another 200 bloody posts about mistaken for bangkok taxi hires or anecdotal evidence that they do/don't use their meters and you can/can't book them on the phone.

4 out of 10. Must try harder. Now go stand in the corner Jing.

The boss man's English is good but his wife who sits in the shop and answers the landline 'phone hardly speaks any, so I gave you his mobile numnber too.

They always respond by email to confirm. I used to email them from overseas and tell them my flight number and arrival times at BKK and they were always there to pick me.

The boss man's English is good but his wife who sits in the shop and answers the landline 'phone hardly speaks any, so I gave you his mobile numnber too.

They always respond by email to confirm. I used to email them from overseas and tell them my flight number and arrival times at BKK and they were always there to pick me.

ouch, he quoted me 1500thb for a taxi o_O

i thought the going rate was 900-1000 for 1 way?

correct me if im wrong

!!!! NEWS FLASH !!!!

--- He has a meter

--- He uses the meter

038 368113

Oh what a shame that you did not test out what he said and dispel all the myths and give some hope to the seasoned doubters that have abounded here......I see this as a great opportunity missed....

Don't be such a drama queen. This driver assured me that he had a meter and would use his meter. He even told me how much the flag fall would be: 35 baht. Taking a ride I wasn't in need of at that moment wouldn't have made any difference. The test is if they get more cabs and if most drivers are doing the same thing.

BTW: To identify a REAL Pattaya taxi meter, look for the phone number on the car with the 038 prefix.

I do think some of the reports have been from people who are talking to Bangkok taxi drivers in Pattaya as there are more of them here from airport runs than the new REAL Pattaya taxis. Reports about Bangkok taxis are totally irrelevant to this subject, of course they won't use meters, they are out of their jurisdiction.

Edited by Jingthing

Don't be such a drama queen. This driver assured me that he had a meter and would use his meter. He even told me how much the flag fall would be: 35 baht. Taking a ride I wasn't in need of at that moment wouldn't have made any difference. The test is if they get more cabs and if most drivers are doing the same thing.

BTW: To identify a REAL Pattaya taxi meter, look for the phone number on the car with the 038 prefix.

I do think some of the reports have been from people who are talking to Bangkok taxi drivers in Pattaya as there are more of them here from airport runs than the new REAL Pattaya taxis. Reports about Bangkok taxis are totally irrelevant to this subject, of course they won't use meters, they are out of their jurisdiction.

Firstly for your information jingthing I do not dress in drag enter singing competitions and I am heterosexual.

Secondly I fear that your hype in this thread about the taxi meters and the underlying question as to whether they were to be used like the Bangkok style taxi meters are used i.e. actually using the meter was an important point and part of your crusade (for want of a better word). ...You had the perfect opportunity to physically test out this longing of yours in person and all you did was ask the driver a few questions... I fear that your campaign has lost a certain amount of credibility as the campaign leader has not taken the taxi by the meter...or should it be the cab by the horn?

PF, that is just BS. I interviewed the driver. He told me what he would was prepared to do. You are splitting hairs. Are you even thinking straight even though you so loudly claim to be so? (FYI: most drama queens are straight like you.) Can you really imagine a driver who has told you two or three times that he has a meter and will use the meter would all of a sudden not use it after you got in the car? That's ridiculous.

Edited by Jingthing

PF, that is just BS. I interviewed the driver. He told me what he would was prepared to do. You are splitting hairs. Are you even thinking straight even though you so loudly claim to be so? (FYI: most drama queens are straight like you.) Can you really imagine a driver who has told you two or three times that he has a meter and will use the meter would all of a sudden not use it after you got in the car? That's ridiculous.

The facts speak for themselves as much as you don`t seem to like them.

I stand by the facts. It seems to me you have some kind of personal agenda or distate for me personally, and all I can say is stuff it. You are free to believe the results of my extensive interview with this driver. Or not. In any case, 20 cars are a joke of a SMALL number, but it is a tiny first step. I am convinced 100 percent that this driver was prepared to use this meter, at least that one time, again, believe it or not. I believe it 100 percent. Whether he would usually use the meter, whether the other 19 drivers are usually using the meters, whether it is really true that they will come to an address to pick you up for no service charge (that is hard to believe) and then still use the meter, PLEASE REPORT. I am one person. I have provided a credible report. There is no way Pattaya taxis are going to use the meters all the time. All we can do is try to pressure them into doing the right thing, and this forum is an outlet for reports about what is really going on.

Pattaya Fox (DQ): this is NOT about me. It is about the collective force of people in Pattaya doing what we can to bring Pattaya transport out of the clutches of the mafiosi and more in line with modern Bangkok standards, which are the best we can ever hope for here. The VAST majority of people here support having a fleet of Bangkok style taxi meters in Pattaya. Right now we have a dribble. We can play a part in how this develops, for good or bad.

Frankly, for me personally, this Pattaya taxi meter service won't be very useful until they are so numerous they can flagged down in most areas of town. Like Bangkok. That is the distant dream. Will it ever happen? I have no idea.

Edited by Jingthing

post-37101-1198159933.jpg

The only drama queen in this topic are you Jinting.

Drama queen??? Who's been making drama for the last few weeks..

It takes more than ONE drama queen to make a party.

Which side are you on? Are you one those luddites (the MINORITY) who are opposed to the reform of Pattaya transport?

It is already well documented that the majority of Thaivisa members favor Bangkok style taxi METERS in Pattaya, so I hope for the people's sake, your side loses.

Edited by Jingthing

I stand by the facts. It seems to me you have some kind of personal agenda or distate for me personally, and all I can say is stuff it. You are free to believe the results of my extensive interview with this driver. Or not. In any case, 20 cars are a joke of a SMALL number, but it is a tiny first step. I am convinced 100 percent that this driver was prepared to use this meter, at least that one time, again, believe it or not. I believe it 100 percent. Whether he would usually use the meter, whether the other 19 drivers are usually using the meters, whether it is really true that they will come to an address to pick you up for no service charge (that is hard to believe) and then still use the meter, PLEASE REPORT. I am one person. I have provided a credible report. There is no way Pattaya taxis are going to use the meters all the time. All we can do is try to pressure them into doing the right thing, and this forum is an outlet for reports about what is really going on.

Pattaya Fox (DQ): this is NOT about me. It is about the collective force of people in Pattaya doing what we can to bring Pattaya transport out of the clutches of the mafiosi and more in line with modern Bangkok standards, which are the best we can ever hope for here. The VAST majority of people here support having a fleet of Bangkok style taxi meters in Pattaya. Right now we have a dribble. We can play a part in how this develops, for good or bad.

Frankly, for me personally, this Pattaya taxi meter service won't be very useful until they are so numerous they can flagged down in most areas of town. Like Bangkok. That is the distant dream. Will it ever happen? I have no idea.

Just to get one thing straight I do not have any personal agenda against anyone on this board and that includes you. Please do not call me a drama queen again. Lowering yourself to name calling is not the best way of putting your point of view across and is against the forum rules.

It is just a pity that you did not make the extra effort to see if the driver would actually use his meter by going for a short ride and not just accepting his word for it. After all that is really what your campaign is about the use of taxi meters in Pattaya. i.e the taxis using their meters as Bangkok ones do.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all.

Jingthing, I am a great supporter of you and your Taxi meter crusade, but you are wrong here.

Did you question the driver in Thai or English? Are you sure he understood exactly what you were asking? There's been many a Thai who has seemed to say one thing, only to do exactly the opposite a minute later. Misunderstandings and confusion in this country abounds - often deliberately.

He might even have decided to 'humour' you until you entered his cab, whereupon he would refuse to use the meter.

I'm not saying he would have done, but in LOS, anything is possible, and you really should have taken a 35 Baht trip, just to make sure.

After all you are the leader in all this.

Whether or not these taxis will charge by the meter, as far as I am concerned the whole thing is a waste of time, unless they increase the numbers dramically - like from 20 to 200.

I'm not going to come over from the 'Darkside', in the hope of getting a cab back home, when there are only 20 or so around. And I wouldn't try to bring infirm folk to places like Walking Street, unless I could be reasonably assured of being able to flag one down.

So far, this is clearly not the case.

But keep up the good work jingthing - and next time you actually find a cab for hire (and that might take a month or so), get in it and see how he charges. I promise to reimburse you if it exceed 100 Baht. :o

How many times do I have to say this: He said quite clearly (yes, in fluent English) that the meter flag fall was 35 baht in his taxi (he physically showed me the METER) "just like Bangkok" he said. He assured me quite clearly in English that he was prepared to engage the meter right there and then, but like I said, I didn't need a ride at the time, so sue me.

Believe it or not. I believe it for him for that one time. That is as far as it goes ...

Last time I checked I wasn't the mayor of taxicabs.

I encourage others to report here about their specific experiences, either using or interviewing the ACTUAL Pattaya taxis (only the ones with the 038 phone number on the car). Only by multiple reports from multiple people in multiple situations can we even begin to understand what is going on with this. I cannot do this alone and I will not do it alone. If this isn't a collective effort to bring this to light, you only have yourselves to blame, not me. I reject making this taxicab issue a personal thing about one poster (me).

Edited by Jingthing