Toyota Hilux Is Highly Dangerous According To The Swedish Motoring Magazine "teknikens Värld"

Kaysfeld

In a group test of pickup trucks the Toyota Hilux failed to safely do the evasive manoeuvre the Swedish Motoring magazine "Teknikens Värld" do on all cars during testing.

This was the same Motoring magazine that forced Mercedes to change the design of the A type 10 years ago, because it failed the same test.

See the video from the test on this page:

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/tvtv/071031-toyota-hilux/

Is seems like it is safer to just go straight on with this car in an emergency. Evasive manoeuvre can maybe be even more dangerous, unless you have extreme driving skills.

It is a shame that many Thais care more about the looks of their car, than about safety.

They simply prefer large alloys and crome to ESP and other safety systems.

In Thailand only the rich drive safe cars.

Get real, A pick up is a pick up, is a pick up, not a Porshe, A Merc, or whatever ! they are basicly all light on the back end, therefore to be driven accordingly, and then they are safe. No motor is safe in the hands of fools !

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a group test of pickup trucks the Toyota Hilux failed to safely do the evasive manoeuvre the Swedish Motoring magazine "Teknikens Värld" do on all cars during testing.

This was the same Motoring magazine that forced Mercedes to change the design of the A type 10 years ago, because it failed the same test.

<a href="http://www.teknikensvarld.se/tvtv/071031-toyota-hilux/" target="_blank">http://www.teknikensvarld.se/tvtv/071031-toyota-hilux/</a>

Is seems like it is safer to just go straight on with this car in an emergency. Evasive manoeuvre can maybe be even more dangerous, unless you have extreme driving skills.

It is a shame that many Thais care more about the looks of their car, than about safety.

Get real, A pick up is a pick up, is a pick up, not a Porshe, A Merc, or whatever ! they are basicly all light on the back end, therefore to be driven accordingly, and then they are safe. No motor is safe in the hands of fools !

So according to you many pickup drivers must be fools, because there are so many accidents with these cars. There is nothing wrong with the pickup only the drivers. Hmmm…

A pickup is a pickup, is a pickup not a car, so it should not be used as such. It is foolish to think that a pickup can do other things that going straight. Maybe you don't expect more from a pickup. But as I have to drive in the same traffic with these death machines, I would prefer that not to many pickups come tumbling out of control while I am driving or walking.

Maybe we all have to live with this and accept the Status Quo.

You really should be more worried about the hundreds of ancient cars, trucks, buses, pickups etc.. driving around before you start calling new cars "death machines". They pose a much much higher threat than a new pickup.

Kaysfeld: Din översättning var mycket, mycket bra. Tack för det.

Get real, if one of the pick-ups is more dangerous than the others, it is a more dangerous pick-up than the others. In this case Toyota was more dangerous than the others. In fact, Toyota was "mortally dangerous"!

How hard is it to understand:

1. This was a comparative test among pick-ups.

2. This was not a comparative test pick-ups versus luxury sedans, nor versus other perils of traffic.

3. Among those pick-ups tested (see, pick-ups only!) Toyota failed miserably (mortally) where others did not fail.

Does the Thai made L200 (triton) have the same control system?

Yes - I think all are Thai made - I believe it's the only pick up on the market with an electronical control system.

According to the brochure of Mitsubishi Thailand the Triton GLS comes with ABS & EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution). ESP is not mentioned.

According to the Thai brochures of Mazda BT50, Isuzu LS, Honda CRV, Ford Escape they all have ABS & EBD, but no ESP.

So, is EBD some version of ESP or what?

I've always said that if Toyota put wheels on a turd, the Toyota fans would tell you what a great turd it was.

They already did and called it a Fortuner.

That made me laugh out loud...

Nothing personal against Fortuner drivers (would have said nothing personal against the Fortuner, but so many board members take it so personally when something unpleasant is said about their beloved Fortuners, be it failing brakes, etc.), but the joke delivery seemed just right :o

Emperor_Tud, didn't you have a Fortuner, or am i mistaken?

Yes - I think all are Thai made - I believe it's the only pick up on the market with an electronical control system.

According to the brochure of Mitsubishi Thailand the Triton GLS comes with ABS & EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution). ESP is not mentioned.

According to the Thai brochures of Mazda BT50, Isuzu LS, Honda CRV, Ford Escape they all have ABS & EBD, but no ESP.

So, is EBD some version of ESP or what?

No, it isn´t.

From Wikipedia:

"Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is the generic term for systems designed to improve a vehicle's handling, particularly at the limits where the driver might lose control of the vehicle.

Robert Bosch GmbH and Mercedes Benz co-developed the first ESC system called Elektronisches Stabilitätsprogramm (ESP®) that was used by Mercedes-Benz in their flagship S-Class. Mercedes Benz licensed this for use to other car manufacturers at no cost, including BMW with their 7 Series in 1995. ESP first came to general notice when the original Mercedes-Benz A-Class (without ESC) failed the moose test (sudden swerving to avoid an obstacle); since Mercedes-Benz has built their reputation on safety, they did not want to be seen to be marketing unsafe vehicles, so at great expense every A-Class was retrofitted with ESC. Mercedes-Benz also became the first manufacturer to make ESC standard across its model range in 1999, with BMW following suit in 2000.

ESP was introduced to the mass market by Mercedes-Benz/Bosch, Continental Automotive Systems, Delphi and TRW, usually under the broader name of Electronic Stability Control, which is the more common term recognized by the Society of Automotive Engineers, although individual car manufacturers use a range of different marketing names (see below).

Operation

ESC compares the driver's intended direction in steering and braking inputs, to the vehicle's response, via lateral acceleration, rotation (yaw) and individual wheel speeds. ESC then brakes individual front or rear wheels and/or reduces excess engine power as needed to help correct understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing). ESC also integrates all-speed traction control, which senses drive-wheel slip under acceleration and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels, and/or reduces excess engine power, until control is regained. ESC cannot override a car's physical limits. If a driver pushes the possibilities of the car's chassis and ESC too far, ESC cannot prevent a crash. It is a tool to help the driver maintain control.

ESC combines anti-lock brakes, traction control and yaw control (yaw is rotation around the vertical axis)."

Electronic brakeforce distribution or EBD is an automobile brake technology that automatically varies the amount of force applied to each of a vehicle's brakes, based on road conditions, speed, loading, etc. Often coupled with anti-lock braking systems, EBD can apply more or less braking pressure to each wheel in order to maximize stopping power whilst maintaining steering control.

North

Pick-up's = Death machines ??????? Over-reacting a little aren't we?

Even a pushbike can cause death in the hands of an idiot.

Yes, you are right, I was overreacting a bit.

The stupidity of the post I was reacting to made me a little angry.

Some pickups seem more dangerous than others.

And there are also many other dangerous types of vehicles and drivers out there.

But is seems that a Toyota Hilux could easily become a death machine even in the hands of a good driver.

I believe that all car manufactures should do their best to make cars safe.

No tall vehicles should be without it. They know that.

Saving a few $ not fitting these systems, is like playing a gamble with their customers lives.

A SUV like the Fortuner shouldn't be without it. There can be 7 lives in there.

I should think that a few extra bath is well invested in an ESC/ESP system.

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/tvtv/071031-toyota-hilux/

Ironically and more worryingly, a buddy of mine was thinking of buying a Fortuner for the wife and kids, but the rep told him better to buy a Hilux because of Fortuner propensity to topple with high speed evasive maneouvers. Remember the Land Rovers from a few years ago that had to be retrofitted with better suspensions after one toppled at speed under non emergency maneouver.

High centres of gravity and big bouncy wheels are a very bad combination. They are prone to wander across lanes without steering repsonse to the driver because the wheels are so big and the steering rack is set for off roading.

http://simon.helenheart.com/ok96.html

I always have believed and will believe that pick ups are not meant to be used as high speed motor cars. Great in a straight line, but dangerous taking corners at speed.

Ironically and more worryingly, a buddy of mine was thinking of buying a Fortuner for the wife and kids, but the rep told him better to buy a Hilux because of Fortuner propensity to topple with high speed evasive maneouvers. Remember the Land Rovers from a few years ago that had to be retrofitted with better suspensions after one toppled at speed under non emergency maneouver.

High centres of gravity and big bouncy wheels are a very bad combination. They are prone to wander across lanes without steering repsonse to the driver because the wheels are so big and the steering rack is set for off roading.

http://simon.helenheart.com/ok96.html

I always have believed and will believe that pick ups are not meant to be used as high speed motor cars. Great in a straight line, but dangerous taking corners at speed.

Yes, very worrying if the Toyota Fortuner is even more dangerous than the Hilux.

The Fortuner is clearly a family vehicle and as such should be optimized for road driving. Its tires should be good road tires, not off-road tires, which is not safe at all on normal roads. Esc/Esp is a must have on such a vehicle.

How much is 4 wheel drive vehicles really used off-road?

I think that most rarely use them off-road. It is just nice when you visit family out in the country, that you don’t have to worry about big holes and poor roads. Good road tires can still manage this. And still most 4 wheel drive vehicles have tires optimized for mud.

Many accidents with these kinds of vehicles could probably be avoided if they had good road tires with superior dry & wet weather characteristics. This would greatly improve the steering control and behavior in heavy rain.

I have seen for myself how poor a new pickup behaves in heavy rain:

Once when I was driving in one of the airport limousines on the way to Hua Hin, the rain started purring down heavily, as it often do in Thailand. The road was straight and in good condition with 2 lanes in each direction with a ditch between.

In front of us was a tall 4x4 pickup. I remember that I was feeling sorry for the people sitting out in the rain on the truck body. Suddenly it was clear that the truck started aquaplaning. It slowly but surely started to move to the right towards the ditch in the middle. I was like everything happened in slow-motion. For many seconds the truck slowly but clearly moved toward the ditch. Nothing the driver did changed the direction of the truck. Finally it went in. From then on nothing was slow motion anymore. When it hit the water in the ditch it was like an explosion. Water, car parts, bodies and cargo was flying in all directions. It looked very serious.

But the limousine driver didn’t want to stop to help. He claimed it was dangerous to do so.

So I don’t know exactly how bad it was, but everybody without a seat bell would probably not have made it. Even with seatbelt I doubt that you would survive such a crash. The ditch and water was deep, and the risk of drowning was great.

If this pickup had had tires made for wet conditions on the road, nothing would probably have happened, but it likely had standard off-road tires as most other pickups, so the driver didn’t stand a change when the centripetal force took control over the vehicle.

Yes Teknikens Värld is a highly respected magazine to those who don't know it.

I completely disagree with the poster above who was bashing the OP for posting the information. It doesn't matter who the driver was, the truck failed the test plain and simple -- a test conducted by a highly reagarded magazine. I'd venture to say that the driver in the test is more skilled than your average farmer/whoever that drives the Vigo here.... if he fails, it is most likely that a drunk farmer with 10 people in the back is gonna fail as well.

As for the "maybe it was the tyres issue" -- yeah maybe in a different country, but not here... 90% of Vigos on the road I'd say have old/2nd hand/cheap/you name it tyres on them. People who buy Vigos on Payment schemes ( A LOT) probably don't put Michelin PS2 shoes on their trucks.... it's a truck mainly for the common thai, and trust me the common thai doesn't put much thought into the reasoning behind why tyres are so important (selling USED tyres for street use -- as in a used tyre store -- is illegal in Sweden isn't it? Go to your local gas station and have a look at what's for sale. A set for 800 baht? That's asking for trouble.)

Drive what you want, believe what you will, but Merc fixed the A class because of Teknikens Värld's test. That should say a lot.

Ref second hand tyres ....I assume that you have never bought a second hand vehicle because when you do and each time you do you buy 5 second hand tyres and I would guess that most if not all people give the tyres a cursary examination , no inside wall check ,no internal check . When your purchase a second hand tyre on its own you have the opportunity to view the side walls the inside and the out side very easily and in detail ... With care I have purchased some very good tyres over the years from second hand dealers with out a worry ...but I always worry with a second hand car tyres until I can get them off and check them !!!.

Dear all,

I've been reading this Hilux test issue and infact it's an alert to all new hilux owners to be more aware of their safety when driving. Mine's a manual 4x4 3.0l double cab that comes with 265/70/r16 michilin ht tyres. The tyre pressure is the one important issue that should be made more tutorial to all new owners regardless of any brands or models because tyres fitted to each vehicle differ in recommended air pressure which has been tested and proven suitable for that particular vehicle.Usually you can find a small sticker with the recommended air pressure by the driver's door beside the doorseal.Mine stated clearly 29psi allround.29psi looks quite flat so sometimes when you doulbt and called Toyota like I did,different tecnicians different anwers,was told 30psi front 40 back,35front 45 back and one even told me 40psi front 45 back for not loading.None agree with the sticker I mentioned.Anyone of you out there with the same Hilux model and tyres,what's your opinion? How's the going with your tyre pressure and did you ever notice the sticker I mentioned? The reason for being doulbful once in awhile about the tyre pressure is when you find your Hilux bumpy,unstable or shaky suspension at low speed.I strongly believe air pressure could effect safety.

Dear all,

I've been reading this Hilux test issue and infact it's an alert to all new hilux owners to be more aware of their safety when driving. Mine's a manual 4x4 3.0l double cab that comes with 265/70/r16 michilin ht tyres. The tyre pressure is the one important issue that should be made more tutorial to all new owners regardless of any brands or models because tyres fitted to each vehicle differ in recommended air pressure which has been tested and proven suitable for that particular vehicle.Usually you can find a small sticker with the recommended air pressure by the driver's door beside the doorseal.Mine stated clearly 29psi allround.29psi looks quite flat so sometimes when you doulbt and called Toyota like I did,different tecnicians different anwers,was told 30psi front 40 back,35front 45 back and one even told me 40psi front 45 back for not loading.None agree with the sticker I mentioned.Anyone of you out there with the same Hilux model and tyres,what's your opinion? How's the going with your tyre pressure and did you ever notice the sticker I mentioned? The reason for being doulbful once in awhile about the tyre pressure is when you find your Hilux bumpy,unstable or shaky suspension at low speed.I strongly believe air pressure could effect safety.

I've got pretty much the same thing but with auto transmission for the benefit of the wife. I'm presently running on 40 psi according to my gauge. It still looks a little soft but drives great. I figure a little cushion helps to smooth out the road a bit. Yes I did see that sticker and thought I must be reading it wrong.

The other day a guy delivered a pickup truck load of slate and after unloading he let air out of his tires for a very long time. He said he put in 75 to carry the load and then went back down to 45 for regular driving.

As for this thread. I bought a truck and drive it like a truck, not a sports car, and like the road clearance, visibility, comfort for passengers and myself, the ability to haul stuff that wouldn't fit in a car and the occasional 4x4 when things get muddy or slippery. Doesn't hurt that my wife says it suits me and I look good in it, too.

Dear all,

I've got pretty much the same thing but with auto transmission for the benefit of the wife. I'm presently running on 40 psi according to my gauge. It still looks a little soft but drives great. I figure a little cushion helps to smooth out the road a bit. Yes I did see that sticker and thought I must be reading it wrong.

The other day a guy delivered a pickup truck load of slate and after unloading he let air out of his tires for a very long time. He said he put in 75 to carry the load and then went back down to 45 for regular driving.

As for this thread. I bought a truck and drive it like a truck, not a sports car, and like the road clearance, visibility, comfort for passengers and myself, the ability to haul stuff that wouldn't fit in a car and the occasional 4x4 when things get muddy or slippery. Doesn't hurt that my wife says it suits me and I look good in it, too.

Good that you got the auto version,infact I was hesitating between the manual and auto but ended up buying the manual so thought they are more controllable but actually this shifter is not my liking,the shift point one to other is too far, forward and backwards arm movement requires space hitting the tall armrest suppose to be for comfort tend to obstruct.I've never driven the auto but can you do offroading with it especially considering it's 4x4 and about the40psi is it for both front and back?Thanks.

I do mostly highway driving in my Vigo 4x4 auto dual cab. I run 32 PSI against the manufacturer's recommended 29 for unladen. Laden you should of course run a higher PSI.

the service station guys like to put 45 PSI in them. If this is the standard practice in Thailand, perhaps because so many pickups are overloaded, or because people are trying to squeeze a bit more mileage from a litre, then it's no wonder there are so many stupid accidents.

At 45 PSI the road contact area of the type is significantly reduced. If the tyre is also worn then in wet conditions the water shedding ability of the tread is also reduced which means the vehicle will aquaplane and loose grip easier. Simple physics really. A higher PSI will definitely not give you a smoother ride either.

29 PSI (or thereabouts) will give you the maximum road contact area and the best tyre profile for safety and longevity of the tyre. 40 PSI and above is asking for trouble, especially on tyres worn 50% or more aqnd especially so on wet roads.

Would anyone ride a motorcycle around with 45 PSI in the tyres ?

Edit: Just one more point regarding tyres...the tyres fitted to the Vigo in Thailand may be different to the tyres fitted for Swedish/European models as are likely the suspension settings. It's more than likely the Thai spec Vigo behaves differently, maybe better, maybe worse.

Edited by sibeymai

Good that you got the auto version,infact I was hesitating between the manual and auto but ended up buying the manual so thought they are more controllable but actually this shifter is not my liking,the shift point one to other is too far, forward and backwards arm movement requires space hitting the tall armrest suppose to be for comfort tend to obstruct.I've never driven the auto but can you do offroading with it especially considering it's 4x4 and about the40psi is it for both front and back?Thanks.

With my very new black beauty I'm not real eager to scratch up the paint with true off-roading. Things get a little muddy around the village and out at the house site sometimes. I use 4x4 for safety and traction on muddy dirt roads and some very steep mountain roads like I drove up today.

As I mentioned in one of my blog entries, I drove empty from Chiang Rai to Bangkok and full on the way back. The ride was much better on the way back. Trucks can be a bit light in the butt when unloaded and act accordingly on a bumpy turn.

As I mentioned in one of my blog entries, I drove empty from Chiang Rai to Bangkok and full on the way back. The ride was much better on the way back. Trucks can be a bit light in the butt when unloaded and act accordingly on a bumpy turn.

Yeah !! You should see the look on the guy's faces riding motor cycles when they see me coming towards them sideways on a bumpy dirt road. Hilarious !! Cracks me up every time. :D:o:D

Edited by sibeymai

Yeah !! You should see the look on the guy's faces riding motor cycles when they see me coming towards them sideways on a bumpy dirt road. Hilarious !! Cracks me up every time. :D:o:D

I don't know if I was supposed to laugh at that or not, but I did none the less.

Hi sibeymai,

I t's good to hear from your opinion and everyone has got one to expressed.I also believe over inflated tyres or more dangerous than under inflated ones.You felt more road friction and heavier steering as you turn with less air but floaty and less grip if with more air.I also perform long distances and usually along highways you run faster so if less grip when it comes to braking or attacking corners or both kind of scary feel espcially during the present raining season.But it's funny because I never felt, noticed or realize being bothered with the tyre pressure over my previous Hilux mighty X which I've driven for 10 years.And all that long years I've never felt sensitive about the air in my tyres and I cannot remember having to adjust the pressure for better handling.

I spoke about Sukhumvit already in this thread

I experienced an emergency manoeuver tonight on it

Was on middle lane arriving at a green light (already green loooong time)

Suddenly the pick up in front of me made a last moment manoeuver to the right lane.Happily it was small old pick up not high on his wheels;so no problem.

A stupid a####le stopped in the middle of the traffic .I think he decided to turn right.

No problem for me as I normally let some space between me and the car in front of me

My passengers were frightened by my mamoeuver and I was lucky I had nobody on the right lane.Must admit I had no time to check...TiT

The Toyota Hilux might drive better on 15" alloy than on 16" low profile.

The Toyota Hilux supplied by Toyota was the full trim version with the sport 16" alloys.

After the failed test Toyota blamed wrong tires for the result.

Toyota supplied the wrong tires so what an explanation. It is almost funny.

So the Magazine got Toyota to also supply them with a Toyota Hilux in standard trim on 15" standard tires.

The Magazine was now pressed for time because of their deadline, so they had to do the test on a day where the road was a little bit wet. They made the test on a different type of road, to see if this changed anything.

They still had the original Hilux on 16” wheels so they ran the test on this one first.

The result was the same as before. The Toyota fails again, and it failed again in a very nasty way.

There was no warning before it almost turned over. The back-end didn’t first slide or anything, It just suddenly started turning over.

When they did the test on the 15” version. It still failed, but this time there was a little warning. The back-end started losing grip, which made it slightly easier to recover. The Magazine concluded that this was because of the higher tire walls combined with the wet weather.

But it didn’t change their opinion about the Toyota Hilux.

But it did win in one category. The backseat was the best.

I Sweden you can get a L200 in a lower trim (cheaper) version which doesn't have the ESC/ESP system, but this is not the standard version, and have to be ordred specially.

I am afraid this could be the standard version in Thailand.

Ok, her I go... Kill me if you want to but I have driven the Triton (look at the picture)

Last March (2006) I bought the Triton Top model 3.2. GLS... I did really love it and I did have to preform some "exciting driving" but I never felt unsecure by it. The triton handled very well and I was always happy about it. It did however brake down twice within 3 months, (mitsubishi blamed me) I blame mitsubishi...

Now it is sold for different reasons... I did get my old 2005 Vigo back. It is a 2.5 2WD model that is raised a little (I go over the dogs, dont bother to drive around) I do feel that the handeling is very good on that one to... I have yet to be excited in the Vigo... Wheather its the driving or evasive manouvers...

My plan was to buy a new 4X4 this year (waiting for December because of the new model talk) I have priced agreed with Toyota for the top model, but after seeing this movie and since I was planing on driving to Europe with it (Norway) I think I will get back on the Mitsubishi... I still think it looks better than the rest or maybe different.

2005 I bought the Vigo (only one I could afford, I didn't want the highlander)

2006 I bougth the Triton (Sold because I am stupid)

2007 I got my Vigo back and I bought a Yaris for my girlfriend...

2007/2008 plan to buy a new pickup (mitsubishi or Toyota for driving to Norway)

So there it is, it all comes down to the day you stand with your money in your hand... I do prefer the mitsubishi these days, but I think that my Vigo is very very very good...

Mazda, Ford, Nissan does not do it for me...

Ok, her I go... Kill me if you want to but I have driven the Triton (look at the picture)

Last March (2006) I bought the Triton Top model 3.2. GLS... I did really love it and I did have to preform some "exciting driving" but I never felt unsecure by it. The triton handled very well and I was always happy about it. It did however brake down twice within 3 months, (mitsubishi blamed me) I blame mitsubishi...

Now it is sold for different reasons... I did get my old 2005 Vigo back. It is a 2.5 2WD model that is raised a little (I go over the dogs, dont bother to drive around) I do feel that the handeling is very good on that one to... I have yet to be excited in the Vigo... Wheather its the driving or evasive manouvers...

My plan was to buy a new 4X4 this year (waiting for December because of the new model talk) I have priced agreed with Toyota for the top model, but after seeing this movie and since I was planing on driving to Europe with it (Norway) I think I will get back on the Mitsubishi... I still think it looks better than the rest or maybe different.

2005 I bought the Vigo (only one I could afford, I didn't want the highlander)

2006 I bougth the Triton (Sold because I am stupid)

2007 I got my Vigo back and I bought a Yaris for my girlfriend...

2007/2008 plan to buy a new pickup (mitsubishi or Toyota for driving to Norway)

So there it is, it all comes down to the day you stand with your money in your hand... I do prefer the mitsubishi these days, but I think that my Vigo is very very very good...

Mazda, Ford, Nissan does not do it for me...

Now, thats a roadtrip! Be sure to make a diary and post it on thaivisa once its done! :o

I think I will get back on the Mitsubishi... I still think it looks better than the rest or maybe different.

Be sure to get the one with ESC/ESP. Maybe its only in the export version.

You can download the whole test from the Magazines website for about 100 Bath.

It is a big test (22 A4 pages), and go into great detail.

If you wait a month og two it will be available free of charge from the website.

Good trip.

I think this thread turned a bit hysterical.

First, let's keep things in perspective - "mortal danger" is a relative concept. In Thailand half a dozen people in the open pickup bed is not considered a danger, so I doubt Thai would consider a slim chance of flipping over in a Vigo to be truly dangerous.

Then "I always knew Toyota made turds" comment - the poster made his mind long before this thread but apart from failed elk test there's absolutely nothing wrong with Toyotas and they actually won in some other categories. Just an excuse to justify the prejudice.

The test itself seems kosher and I doubt Toyota would get away with simply changing tires. They've got themselves with their pants down and there's little they can do about it.

Even if their Scandinavian execs take it very seriously, the truck is a part of IMV platform designed by some yahoos in Thailand who don't give a fuc_k about Swedish tests, judging by how they treated local complaints about break problems.

And even if they did - the project is spread over dozens of countries, they can't change anything just in one market withoug affecting all other plants and thousands of their partners and suppliers. That is if they are luckly their basic design allows for including ESC at all.

Swedish execs meanwhile will probably have to resort to aftermarket patch ups if they can find a third party compatible systems, or nick it off something like Camry or Lexus.

It's a huge test for Toyota and IMV project specifically.