How I Can Find A Hummus In Chaingmai?

gal

helo,

maby someone can help me or know....

i live in chaingmai,and i very like hummus-

(israli-arab-Middle East food)

i know where i can find a restaurants are serve this,but,i want to make it by my self,

the problem is i cant find the bean...you know the small berry...or mmm....how to call this..

thw small balls..mmm...the hummus vegetable....to make it from this...

:o

so,if somone know,or have good advice, for me...maby some matkat?

or how they call this in thai?

?!

tnx

I have an Israeli friend here who makes it all the time. I'll ask where he buys his garbanzo beans (chick peas), and his tahine. Finding olive oil is easy... I know a restaurant supply place where you can buy that for failry cheap. More soon.

And... given the number of Indians living in Thailand, and that a popular snack cracker 'ca gai' is made of them, there has got to be an easy and cheap source for dried chickpeas somewhere. I shall investigate!

off to bed!

tnx all f you.....u rely help me.....

i know abut Jerusalem restaurant,but i dont think they will like to shere with me how i can find this,,,,,,

mmm.....i need only the chick peas.....

y......i will go to rinpind today to ask....

i know abut Jerusalem restaurant,but i dont think they will like to shere with me how i can find this,,,,,,

i eat chick peas sometim maybe i can give u number for telefone and can get from bagkok .. u can pm me if interesting in idea.

Hummus can be found at Rimping, Tops Market Place and Kaserm stores.

There are two brands, which do make this products : Jerusalem and the Chiangmai Pickle King.

If anyone have already try those product can you please share some comments here?

Forget Rimping in this case - their chick peas are expensive and only in little packs (although for other things Rimping are great). Inside Wororot Market there is a wonderful Indian stall (ground floor in the covered bit where they sell all the teas, preserved foods, snacks etc - enter from the narrow soi/Chinese Temple side, walk straight down the centre aisle and they are in the last aisle on the right) - they sell all kinds of Indian things (have chick peas in bulk at a good price!) and they speak English and are very helpful. What more could you want? Buying olive oil from places like Rimping also expensive - you can buy it from Hong Huat on Mahidol Road in bulk for a much better price. But need to refrigerate as it goes rancid very quickly. Try rice bran oil instead - excellent light flavour, much better anti-oxidant levels, doesn't go rancid at all (like rice is designed to do well in the heat) and THAT Rimping have at an excellent price (80 baht a litre - the brand is King - usually up near the top shelf) - don't buy the cheaper orange looking rice bran oil that they sell for frying though - it has been heat treated (hence the colour) and not good for anything except deep frying. Good luck!

i love hummus , try it a few time many many years ago when i was staying in kaosan road .

where do you say you can find them or resturant selling it here in chaingmai ?

freak baek pita ,, and hummus ..

and one dish which i love so much . not sure if i spell it right but it sound like " sex sugar "

make me so hungry now ... show me the hummus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget Rimping in this case - their chick peas are expensive and only in little packs (although for other things Rimping are great). Inside Wororot Market there is a wonderful Indian stall (ground floor in the covered bit where they sell all the teas, preserved foods, snacks etc - enter from the narrow soi/Chinese Temple side, walk straight down the centre aisle and they are in the last aisle on the right) - they sell all kinds of Indian things (have chick peas in bulk at a good price!) and they speak English and are very helpful. .....

Thanks for the tip on the place in Worarot market. I'll check it out. I have been looking for a cheaper source of chick peas for our falafel.

helo,

i know where i can find a restaurants are serve this,but,i want to make it by my self,

the problem is i cant find the bean...you know the small berry...or mmm....how to call this..

?!

tnx

hey there gal -

i make hummus here all the time, so i can appreciate your desperation to make it as well.

you can get chick peas (also called garbanzo beans) at rimping supermarket. they come in a can and are sold in the canned fruit/vegetable aisle (usually near the corn, etc.). i think it's about 80 baht per can.

last weekend i bought chickpeas at tops supermarket to make hummus and it was terrible. the only difference in the recipe was the brand of chickpeas - which was waitrose brand. this is usually a good brand, but the chickpeas were bland and flavourless. i highly recommend you get the brand from rimping (sorry - can't remember name).

hope this helps.

suzula :D

helo,

?!

tnx

Hi Gal,

If you're still looking for chick peas , I just bought a 2 x 500gm packets today at Wororot Market for 52 baht each.

Best direction I can give you is,

1. Make sure you are inside Wororot, NOT Lam Yai market.

2. Walk towards the river. At the back wall, a little to the right, and before you come to the walk way through to the flower section, you will find an INDIAN

stall (owner Indian, not Thai) selling all sorts of spices etc. Ask for chick peas and go home and make your delicious hummus.

3. If you can't find the stall - just ask for the Indian spice man. Someone will show you the way.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers

helo,

?!

tnx

Hi Gal,

If you're still looking for chick peas , I just bought a 2 x 500gm packets today at Wororot Market for 52 baht each.

Best direction I can give you is,

1. Make sure you are inside Wororot, NOT Lam Yai market.

2. Walk towards the river. At the back wall, a little to the right, and before you come to the walk way through to the flower section, you will find an INDIAN

stall (owner Indian, not Thai) selling all sorts of spices etc. Ask for chick peas and go home and make your delicious hummus.

3. If you can't find the stall - just ask for the Indian spice man. Someone will show you the way.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers

This is for VitalGirl.

Sorry but I hadn't read your post. Obviously we're talking about the same seller.

Cheers

There are two types of hummus at Rimping. They are quite edible but certainly unmemorable.

I have a quirk that hummus should not be made in a liquidiser, but squished up by hand.....should be more of an oily paste than a froth.

You may like to try orange instead of lemon juice if you can get really tasty oranges with a bite and put plenty in, and might scrape spicy jalopenos in too.

ps: there were navel oranges in Rimping recently

• 3 weeks later...
Forget Rimping in this case - their chick peas are expensive and only in little packs (although for other things Rimping are great). Inside Wororot Market there is a wonderful Indian stall (ground floor in the covered bit where they sell all the teas, preserved foods, snacks etc - enter from the narrow soi/Chinese Temple side, walk straight down the centre aisle and they are in the last aisle on the right) - they sell all kinds of Indian things (have chick peas in bulk at a good price!) and they speak English and are very helpful. What more could you want? Buying olive oil from places like Rimping also expensive - you can buy it from Hong Huat on Mahidol Road in bulk for a much better price. But need to refrigerate as it goes rancid very quickly. Try rice bran oil instead - excellent light flavour, much better anti-oxidant levels, doesn't go rancid at all (like rice is designed to do well in the heat) and THAT Rimping have at an excellent price (80 baht a litre - the brand is King - usually up near the top shelf) - don't buy the cheaper orange looking rice bran oil that they sell for frying though - it has been heat treated (hence the colour) and not good for anything except deep frying. Good luck!

After reading this thread I decided not to buy the chickpeas at Rimping and wait until I eventually found myself in the Warorot market. Well, I just got back from Warorot. I found the recommended vendor. I bought 500gm of dried chick peas for 55 Baht, almost the identical price as the dried chickpeas in Rimping

After reading this thread I decided not to buy the chickpeas at Rimping and wait until I eventually found myself in the Warorot market. Well, I just got back from Warorot. I found the recommended vendor. I bought 500gm of dried chick peas for 55 Baht, almost the identical price as the dried chickpeas in Rimping

tops sell chick peas in a tin 69b

After reading these threads I want to eat it now!

Can anyone give the ingredients and method for making it at home please?

way to big fo street man if you like big try get three cut one make just so oarhpas two fronts so better for corner, if you have friend can jon back with mobile

way to big fo street man if you like big try get three cut one make just so oarhpas two fronts so better for corner, if you have friend can jon back with mobile

Thank you for the clear and concise instructions. :o

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sure can - I make this regularly as we LUURVE hummus!! :o

Hummus Ingredients (Makes about 600ml - 1 pint):-

225g (8oz) chickpeas soaked overnight OR 2 tins of chick peas, drained and rinsed

2 garlic cloves

2 tablespoons olive oil

4 tablespoons tahini (can buy in Villa)

Juice of 1.5 lemons

Pinch paprika

Freshly ground black pepper

METHOD

- Drain then cook the chickpeas in plenty of water for about 60-90 mins or according to the directions on the packet.

- Drain, reserving the liquid

- Puree the cooked chickpeas withe remaining ingredients with enough of the cooking liquid to make a creamy consistency.

- Taste and add more black pepper or lemon juice if necessary.

Chill in the fridge.

ENJOY as a Dip with either peeled carrot, cucumber and pepper(capsicum) sticks.

Or with pitta!

WAY cheaper (AND tastier) to make your own rather than buy readymade in the stores!

ANdiamo :D