Honda Crv

thainet

Will be upgrading my Civic (2.0l) to a CRV soon (as my wife thinks it looks neat).

Would probably opt for the 2.0l 2WD model.

Any reviews or comments from CRV users would be mush appreciated....Thank you

Hi I ordered a CRV last week and I am hoping to pick it up this week. I test drove both the 2.0 and the 2.4 and they are both really nice. The quality of the interior is like german cars, everything feels solid and there is very little plasticky stuff. The ride is firm but very car like and I felt like I could drive it like a car.

You will, no doubt, be reminded that it is a 5 seater not a seven seater but unless you have a big family do you need the extra seats.

In the end I opted for the 2.4 as the acceleration and drive were that bit smoother and the toys were nice but the 2.0 2wd offers probably the better value for money.

All in all a very nice motor. They are becoming much more common in Bkk though. However not quite as popular as the Fortuner.

If you will use the CR-V for province driving, go for the 2.4

In Bangkok the 2.0 will do - and save you some dough on petrol. Am doing quite a lot of province driving with my 2.4 and got an average of about 9 lt/100 kms after 13,000 kms.

Acceleration with the 2.0 is kind of stale compared to the bigger version - just compare the two engines under the hood, looks like day and night.

Am quite pleased with the 2.4. Couldn't drive anymore without the stereo and speed controls on the steering wheel.

Stereo controls only come with the higher 2.0 and the 2.4 version.

You'll be happy with the car! But as said, I'd go for the stronger engine, which in the end may save you some petrol as well as the engine has to use less energy to accelerate.

We just upgraded our Jazz to a CRV 2.4 liter. So far 3'500 km and on long distance a mileage of 10 km/l. In the city (Bangkok) around 7.5 km/l all this according to the on-board computer. I did not test drive the 2.0 liter, because I know anyway that I want the more powerful version.

I ordered the touch screen radio with CD and DVD player and back camera and that was a mistake. Too expensive and a very bad sound. Also rather primitive in its functions, especially when compared to the 3rd party products (Panasonic, Pioneer, Kendwood).

The car is pleasant to drive, sufficient power (if ever such a things exists) and smooth gear. Even the breaks are way better than the early CRVs. I like the automatic light and the rain sensor, but surprisingly no electric seat for the passenger.

The British magazine "Autocar" sums up: "Not the most handsome of soft-roaders and in no way a car to take off road, but practical, easy to live with and surprisingly good to drive."

What are the alternatives?

Chevrolet Capriva much more expensive

Toyota Fortuner a truck

Kia I don't trust their brakes

BMW X3 Import and therefore high price, ugly in my opinion

Land Rover Freelander probably the best in this Class

Just a suggestion, why not get the best of both worlds by buying the 2.0 two wheel drive (four wheel drive, occasionally – what point) and re-chipping the engine to offer more power – and possibly better fuel consumption ? There must be agents/tuners in BKK who have rolling roads who can do this type of tuning ?  

Just a suggestion, why not get the best of both worlds by buying the 2.0 two wheel drive (four wheel drive, occasionally – what point) and re-chipping the engine to offer more power – and possibly better fuel consumption ? There must be agents/tuners in BKK who have rolling roads who can do this type of tuning ?

To All,

To all of you that have replied---thank you very much, as the comments have been extremely helpful.

I have the 2.0l Civic and actually like the engine, and even though the CRV is heavier I think it'll be fine around town (and some small provincial driving)

Basically it is for wife to feel safer with our young daughter in the car.

A dealer in Bangkok yesterday offered me a great extras package (probably worth 60k at least) that makes it exactly like it's more expensive brothers (only missing the steering wheel radio control and wiper rain sensor). All for 1,182,000 baht (inc reg etc).

Cheers.....

We just upgraded our Jazz to a CRV 2.4 liter. So far 3'500 km and on long distance a mileage of 10 km/l. In the city (Bangkok) around 7.5 km/l all this according to the on-board computer. I did not test drive the 2.0 liter, because I know anyway that I want the more powerful version.

I ordered the touch screen radio with CD and DVD player and back camera and that was a mistake. Too expensive and a very bad sound. Also rather primitive in its functions, especially when compared to the 3rd party products (Panasonic, Pioneer, Kendwood).

The car is pleasant to drive, sufficient power (if ever such a things exists) and smooth gear. Even the breaks are way better than the early CRVs. I like the automatic light and the rain sensor, but surprisingly no electric seat for the passenger.

The British magazine "Autocar" sums up: "Not the most handsome of soft-roaders and in no way a car to take off road, but practical, easy to live with and surprisingly good to drive."

What are the alternatives?

Chevrolet Capriva much more expensive

Toyota Fortuner a truck

Kia I don't trust their brakes

BMW X3 Import and therefore high price, ugly in my opinion

Land Rover Freelander probably the best in this Class

I like the look of the new SUZUKI GRAND VITARA looks to be Auto + fully loaded for 1.128.000 baht

Great car but why no diesel?

In Europe you can have it with a 2,2 liter diesel, I would buy the CR-V if I could have that engine:

140 hp at 4000 rpm

340 nm at 2000 rpm

0-100 km per h. 10,3 seconds

Mixed driving: 15,4 km per liter

Outside town driving: 17,5 km per liter

All these figures with a 6 speed manual transmission.

But as another poster said: here in Thailand they only want diesel engines in the trucks.

Too bad. :o

North

To All,

To all of you that have replied---thank you very much, as the comments have been extremely helpful.

I have the 2.0l Civic and actually like the engine, and even though the CRV is heavier I think it'll be fine around town (and some small provincial driving)

A dealer in Bangkok yesterday offered me a great extras package (probably worth 60k at least) that makes it exactly like it's more expensive brothers (only missing the steering wheel radio control and wiper rain sensor). All for 1,182,000 baht (inc reg etc).

Cheers.....

Actually the 2 liter in the Civic and the 2 liter in the CR-V are not identical, but I think the 2 liter in the CR-V are designed for this bigger car. I have only tested the 2,4 liter, and it was nice to drive.

I am thinking of a new Honda but have not yet decided between the CR-V and the Civic 2,0

How does the 2 liter Civic perform in relation to the Civic 1,8 ?

According to the german NCAP test the Honda Civic is just as safe as the CR-V: 4 stars for adults and the same for a child.

But be aware, here in Thailand it is different: if your Civic is new, then the 2 liter model offer you 4 airbags and VSA ( Honda name for ESP), if you want the same in the CR-V, you will have to choose the top model 2,4 liter.

North

To All,

Cheers.....

Actually the 2 liter in the Civic and the 2 liter in the CR-V are not identical, but I think the 2 liter in the CR-V are designed for this bigger car. I have only tested the 2,4 liter, and it was nice to drive.

I am thinking of a new Honda but have not yet decided between the CR-V and the Civic 2,0

You are right, as I found out yesterday that the CRV 2.0l engine has been newly developed for the CRV and is better in many ways than the current Civic 2.0l engine, which by the way I like very much.

For the other poster about whether to buy the Civic 1.8l or 2.0l. Personally I find the Civic 2.0l excellent in speed and overtaking and even fuel consumption. The 1.8l that I test drove a long time ago was quite high revving which I didn't like.

For the type of driving my wife will be doing (with the occasional Chiangmai trip) I have ordered the CRV 2.0l with all the free goodies that make it just like the 2.4 but without the music controls on the steering wheel and the wiper rain sensor for the price above. They gave me 820,000 baht as a trade on my 2 yr old Civic, so all in all I am happy (my wife is even happier as she gets the new CRV and I get her 4 yr old D-Max). Thanks..

According to the german NCAP test the Honda Civic is just as safe as the CR-V: 4 stars for adults and the same for a child.

But be aware, here in Thailand it is different: if your Civic is new, then the 2 liter model offer you 4 airbags and VSA ( Honda name for ESP), if you want the same in the CR-V, you will have to choose the top model 2,4 liter.

North

To All,

Cheers.....

I have read test reviews of the 1.8 by a Malaysian tester who seems to be something of an expert on Hondas and he criticised the 1.8 for a lack of power. When he tested the new 2.0, it was putting more power to the wheels than the last 2.0 Civic, even though the official power outputs were similar.

I had the previous 2.0 litre model. Loved the engine, but the brakes bordered on dangerous and the handling was crap. Now I have the new 2.0 and I love it. Loads of power with brakes to match and the handling is good enough for Thai roads. Best of all is the paddle shift which I use all the time; fun to drive and very useful when you want to drop a gear or two for overtaking. Well equipped with music controls on the wheel, airbags all round and comfortable leather seats. Get it in white, stick a Mugen body pack on it, and it looks the business!

Still the ugliest ass around and 2.0L letters look totally out of sync with the rest of the styling.

New engine improved mid range torque delivery, they had a special presentation about it at the Motorshow. CRV's engine is not exactly the same and it used to be very fuel hungry. The reason Honda introduced 2.4l was that bigger engine doesn't have to work so hard and so is more economical in the end. I don't know if it's still true for the present generation.

You are right, as I found out yesterday that the CRV 2.0l engine has been newly developed for the CRV and is better in many ways than the current Civic 2.0l engine, which by the way I like very much.

For the other poster about whether to buy the Civic 1.8l or 2.0l. Personally I find the Civic 2.0l excellent in speed and overtaking and even fuel consumption. The 1.8l that I test drove a long time ago was quite high revving which I didn't like.

For the type of driving my wife will be doing (with the occasional Chiangmai trip) I have ordered the CRV 2.0l with all the free goodies that make it just like the 2.4 but without the music controls on the steering wheel and the wiper rain sensor for the price above. They gave me 820,000 baht as a trade on my 2 yr old Civic, so all in all I am happy (my wife is even happier as she gets the new CRV and I get her 4 yr old D-Max). Thanks..

Did you try to calculate the fuel consumption of your Civic 2.0 ?

If yes what was the result ?

About the CR-V: does the free goodies include the side airbags ?

Did you try to calculate the fuel consumption of your Civic 2.0 ?

If yes what was the result ?

About the CR-V: does the free goodies include the side airbags ?

Actually changed my mind yesterday and ordered the 2.0 E which has the 4WD and other extras (including steering wheel music controls, Dual Aircon etc).Figured the 4WD was worth the extra 90k for my families safety. I believe the side airbags are only on the top model which nearly 1.5 million.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Now my wife's car is taken care of I can get around to changing her old D-Max to a new pick up for myself---WHAT TO BUY??