Money transfer from us to thailand

The subject line is wrong...it should read < 20 hours!

I did it Lancelot's way.  From my financial institution in the US to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand via Bangkok Bank in NYC.

I called the Bangkok Bank branch in NYC and they confirmed it could be done and their fee was $5.  I then faxed a memo to my US credit union starting the process.  They called me back to verify who I was.  We played telephone tag until I got finally got ahold of them at 7PM Tues, July 1, BKK time.  After being convinced the transfer was legit, they said they would send the wire "priority".  I just checked at 3 PM, Wed July 2 at Bangkok Bank here in Chiang Mai, and the money was already in my account.  Elapsed time less than 20 hours.

If you're wondering how to wire money, or have had problems doing so, you may want to consider this method.

What was the exchange rate that Bangkok Bank gave you

He may not have that information as it is only available from the official transfer form that is kept at the bank.  He can request the form however.  First you have to subtract his home bank transfer fee (unknown), the NY Bangkok Bank fee ($5) and then about 1/4% charged by Bangkok Bank here (not sure if the .0025 percent is still the charge but is was several years ago).

It seems that you have a workable network to transfer funds. I am wondering if the Thai Farmer Bank has a presents in the U.S.? If anyone has information about the Thai Farmer Bank in the U.S. I sure would appreciate knowing about it and to make contact. I checked the internet but did not find U.S. listings.

• 1 month later...
I did it Lancelot's way.  From my financial institution in the US to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand via Bangkok Bank in NYC.

Mesquite,

I am happy that everything worked smoothly for you. I will probably continue to use Bangkok Bank, mainly for the ease of transfering money to Thailand.

All the best,

Lance

PS-BKK bank just started charging me 3 baht when I use my (BKK bank) ATM card to withdraw baht at "foreign" ATMs. Anyone else experienced this?

PS-BKK bank just started charging me 3 baht when I use my (BKK bank) ATM card to withdraw baht at "foreign" ATMs. Anyone else experienced this?

After the 3rd transaction each month at an 'ATM Pool' atm that is not your banks there is a 3 baht charge in the local area.  There are also higher charges when you use outside the local area.