Yanks Finally Win!

Santini

Yep the Olympic rules apparantly differ from the NBA, the 3 point line is 1 meter closer.

I cant believe that makes such a differance to these guys! 4 of 21 is simply dire. :D

There are several reputations taking a hammering in Greece.... :o

Next we play the Aussies. I don't know much about their team (is Luc Longley still playing :D ) but I bet they have an actual team rather than a bunch of ball hogs who can't shoot and I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to Oz.

Jeez, then I'll have to face my aussie mates at the local pub! :o

Isn't Allen Iverson on the team ? If so, that's proof in the puddin' that the best of the best ain't on the team. I ain't in favor of professionals being in the Olympics but if the U.S. truly cared and sent their very best...lopsided 50 point blow outs would still be the norm.

I ain't in favor of professionals being in the Olympics but if the U.S. truly cared and sent their very best...lopsided 50 point blow outs would still be the norm.

I don't know exactly what the selection process was but I believe some of the better playuers turned down the invitation to play on the Olympic team. Anybody know?

The other thing I've read is that they tried to pick "superstars" rather than the role players that are needed to form a true team, hence no outside shooters or play makers.

Some of those originally selected turned the opportunity down due to security issues....

As a result, those in the US team are resident on the QE2(Cld be the new launched version with Diff monicor?), alongside world leaders present in Athens.

Its still a strong squad. I doubt very much had the pinnacle gone, 50 point roll overs would be common.

After all, the USA Baseball Team didnt even qualify for the Olympics, getting knocked out in Qualifying.... and THAT WAS the strongest possible! :D

The attitude above stinks of american arrogance.... i mean, Americans should be exceptionally proud to thump the likes of Bulgaria and Hungary every 4 years shooting some hoops! :o

Lets face it.... half of those sports introduced into the games in the past 20 years or so have been to facilitate American Gold medals, and with it increased American TV Audiences thus INCREASED TV REVENUE.

Money Talks. :D

The attitude above stinks of american arrogance.... i mean, Americans should be exceptionally proud to thump the likes of Bulgaria and Hungary every 4 years shooting some hoops! :o

Lets face it.... half of those sports introduced into the games in the past 20 years or so have been to facilitate American Gold medals, and with it increased American TV Audiences thus INCREASED TV REVENUE.

Money Talks. :D

Basketball and Baseball are world sports. Yugoslavia are the current world champions in basketball. They added these sports just to accomodate the Americans? Ummm, no.

Basketball is huge across the world...Yao Ming and one billion Chinese for example. Baseball is massive in countries like Japan, Taiwan, China (its catching on) and the Americas.

Canada is going to beat Japan or Cuba for the gold in baseball....here's for hoping anyway.

Basketball and Baseball are world sports. Yugoslavia are the current world champions in basketball. They added these sports just to accomodate the Americans? Ummm, no.

Basketball is huge across the world...Yao Ming and one billion Chinese for example. Baseball is massive in countries like Japan, Taiwan, China (its catching on) and the Americas.

Canada is going to beat Japan or Cuba for the gold in baseball....here's for hoping anyway.

Let me guess..... Your American per chance? :D

BasketBall, sure, i except. Never said any different.

Baseball? Come on. Beach Volleyball? True, its does serve a purpose :o

Yep the Olympic rules apparantly differ from the NBA, the 3 point line is 1 meter closer.

I cant believe that makes such a differance to these guys! 4 of 21 is simply dire.  :D

Believe it! It does make a difference! Anyone who has played a sport seriously knows that a change like this will screw up the best of players. There is something called "muscle memory" - it's no good knowing or seeing that the basket is 3 feet nearer, the muscles still throw the way they've learned.

And "No", I'm not American and I don't watch or even like basketball, but I can understand the US team's problem with a changed field of play.

Ahh that explains it....

So the 4 week training camp didnt take that into account.

Maybe its the coaches we should be pointing the finger at.

The variables (conditions, etc...) differ in a vast number of sports more so than this, yet miraculously, the cream still rises to the top.

I guess the taking part is the most important thing to you huh... you must be British :o

Ahh that explains it....

So the 4 week training camp didnt take that into account.

Should've been 8 weeks.

Maybe its the coaches we should be pointing the finger at.

Partly.

The variables (conditions, etc...) differ in a vast number of sports more so than this, yet miraculously, the cream still rises to the top.

Usually.

I guess the taking part is the most important thing to you huh

Of course.

... you must be British  :o

Naturally.

After all, the USA Baseball Team didnt even qualify for the Olympics, getting knocked out in Qualifying.... and THAT WAS the strongest possible! :D

How do you figure that? As far as I know there were no MLB players on the Olympic squad, just college players and washed up minor leaguers. (In other words, the same make up that won the gold in Sydney. :o )

BTW there's plans for a World basball Championship that would take place before the MLB season starts so all the pros could play with their national teams. I believe I'd put my money on the Dominican Republic. :D

I cant believe that makes such a differance to these guys! 4 of 21 is simply dire.  :D

Believe it! It does make a difference! Anyone who has played a sport seriously knows that a change like this will screw up the best of players. There is something called "muscle memory" - it's no good knowing or seeing that the basket is 3 feet nearer, the muscles still throw the way they've learned.

And "No", I'm not American and I don't watch or even like basketball, but I can understand the US team's problem with a changed field of play.

isnt every country faced with the same problem?

so this shouldnt be an excuse used by just the american team!!!

but i dont know enough about the game so sorry if im wrong.

isnt every country faced with the same problem?

so this shouldnt be an excuse used by just the american team!!!

but i dont know enough about the game so sorry if im wrong.

Larry Bird once went to a charity event and missed 5 three pointer in a row. He walked up to the rim and commented that it was slightly lower than regulation (They measured it at 9' 10" instead of 10'). After realizing this he returned and made the next 5 straight 3 pointers.

The muscle memory certainly matters to the American team. It also matters to NBA players from other countries. The majority of teams other than America are not NBA players. They play international rules throughout the year.

NBA rules encourage 1 on 1 play.

But let's face it -

Original Dream Team - Jordan, Magic, Bird, Barkley, Robinson, Ewing, Malone, Pippen, Mullin, Drexler, Stockton, Laettner

This is a list of many of the top players in the history of the game. They were capable of being both individual scorers and role players as was needed.

2004 Team - Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, LeBron James, Richard Jefferson, Stephon Marbury, Shawn Marion, Amaré Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Lamar Odom, Emeka Okafor, and Dwyane Wade

As far as I know only 1 player in that list has ever played in an NBA championship game. These are not career winners. They are NBA hopefuls. Rookies and showoffs of the year. Most will probably never win an NBA championship.

Top player Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett, Vince Carter, Michael Redd, and Paul Pierce are missing. The USA team also does not have a single player from the roster of either the NBA Championship Pistons or the Western Conference Champion Lakers. Not a single player in the last NBA championship game are on the court for team America. Either one of these teams would sweep the current USA national team and could win a gold medal.

USA Basketball is not dead. Perhaps Tim Duncan should have just picked his own team. Maybe he would have called up some of his retired friends.