Samui Declared Disaster Zone After Heavy Rain

Totster

Samui declared disaster zone after heavy rain

SURAT THANI: -- Heavy rain and flooding on the popular Gulf of

Thailand tourist destination of Samui island are still severe and the island's

airport has suspended operations.

Heavy downpours are continuing in the province for the third consecutive day.

Flood levels in some parts of the commercial centre and tourist sites on

Samui are as high as one metre.

Some roads have been cut off. Samui airport suspended service Thursday morning

due to heavy rain, and more than 1,000 travellers have been left stranded.

Meanwhile, ferry services to Samui island still operate as usual but the number

of cars being carried has dropped by half due to the bad weather conditions, according

to an official at the waterfront.

--TNA 2007-11-08

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KOH SAMUI: -- Samui island is declared disaster zone on Thursday after it was hit by heavy rain the night before.

The rain caused flood in several locations. Water level on the main road is at 30 centimetre high.

Hundreds of tourists are left stranded as weather condition prevented aircrafts from taking off since late Wednesday.

Authorities are trying to pump water into river to alleviate the problem and prevent further flooding if rain comes again.

Surat Thani provincial office sent 170 soldiers into the island to assist locals and tourists.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-11-08

Authorities are trying to pump water into river to alleviate the problem and prevent further flooding if rain comes again.

Is that into the rivers that are bursting their banks left right and centre? Genius. Now who was it who was posting about swimming lessons??

I hear roads have collapsed on the lamai-chaweng section of the ring road.

That would make sense. I remember when they were building/re-building the road through Chaweng they were using sand as road bed filler instead of dirt and gravel. Same as the BKK sidewalks. It has no cohesion and washes away in light rains.

Be careful as the road bed can wash away without any visible sign above the road. Then if the steel rebar and the concrete give way it can be disastrous.

I hear roads have collapsed on the lamai-chaweng section of the ring road.

That would make sense. I remember when they were building/re-building the road through Chaweng they were using sand as road bed filler instead of dirt and gravel. Same as the BKK sidewalks. It has no cohesion and washes away in light rains.

Be careful as the road bed can wash away without any visible sign above the road. Then if the steel rebar and the concrete give way it can be disastrous.

this rain is worse than 2 years ago ,and theres more to come ........

What happened to the the money the goverment promised to sort this out two years ago ? Most probably went to the mercedes dealership.

Over the past two years the lake near bophut traffic lights has filled with earth as locals reclaim the land no one cares as long as the people at the top are making money,

I think the problem will only get worse year after year as devlopment continues in the mountains and more water ways are blocked.

Is the ringroad between lamai and cheweng not exact enough? Im not going to drive down on my scooter and check it out. myself.

in the road where Kanda Buri Hotel is there was flooding that reached over cars. I would have assumed they have pumped it all into the sea swiftly though to keep them crappy pattaya lighting from collapsing.

Scheduled power outages on Koh Phangan yesterday and today the most likely reason why. AFAIK, no major damage. I have not been around the island but Thong Sala down to Hadrin is so far ok. At least on the western side of the island, the rain has not been that heavy today. Also, Phangan is not as built up as Samui so the rain can still drain in most places.

The places that usually flood -- like the houses on the lowlying land next to the bridge across from the High School, are cut off. But that happens every time there is a big rain there.

The road to Wok Tum is fairly flooded but still passable according to my friend who lives there.

Big waves on the eastern side have made boat landings impossible for that side--Had Tien etc , so I expect most people will have to walk out.

I haven't heard any news of major floodings but that doesn't mean they haven't occurred. Just that AFAIK, so far so good.

Scheduled power outages on Koh Phangan yesterday and today the most likely reason why. AFAIK, no major damage. I have not been around the island but Thong Sala down to Hadrin is so far ok. At least on the western side of the island, the rain has not been that heavy today. Also, Phangan is not as built up as Samui so the rain can still drain in most places.

The places that usually flood -- like the houses on the lowlying land next to the bridge across from the High School, are cut off. But that happens every time there is a big rain there.

The road to Wok Tum is fairly flooded but still passable according to my friend who lives there.

Big waves on the eastern side have made boat landings impossible for that side--Had Tien etc , so I expect most people will have to walk out.

I haven't heard any news of major floodings but that doesn't mean they haven't occurred. Just that AFAIK, so far so good.

Not as bad there then. Was the east side I was worried about though. Boyfriend works taxi boats on that side so just bad for him right now. Hopefully Ill be able to get through soon. Thanks

Taxi boats are not running to the east side. As per usual this time of year, I might add. I am sure he's fine. Probably bored witless :o

Ye I know, same as ever. Just know he was plannin to get his boat out of water b4 the worst of the rain, hopefully its sorted. Big waves, no tourists and damaged boats dont go well together!!

What happened to the the money the goverment promised to sort this out two years ago ? Most probably went to the mercedes dealership.

Over the past two years the lake near bophut traffic lights has filled with earth as locals reclaim the land no one cares as long as the people at the top are making money,

I think the problem will only get worse year after year as devlopment continues in the mountains and more water ways are blocked.

Exactly! Where did it go? Well to be fair, it never really arrived. Two years ago heavy rains fell, the lake in chaweng overflowed and surrounding areas flooded rapidly. I think the worst area was around Banana fan sea resort where during the evening the road was chest deep in water......i know, because a few of us had no choice but to wade through it in order to reach our hotel. From what i hear, the lake has again overflowed and it's a case of here we go again.

Two years ago Thaksin sent his minister down on a glorified publicity stunt where he promised 2 billion baht to rectify the problem. In reality 110 million baht was allocated and spent mostly on drains in Lamai and Bophut. The chaweng lake has to try and retain a massive amount of rain water from the surrounding mountains, but if anyone takes a look at the drainage channel which runs out to the sea, in places it is just two metres wide!! It is impossible for the lake to discharge the water quickly and easily out to sea, and then the lake just backs up and overflows.

The picture attached was taken today, and shows the lake three metres higher than normal.

The Tourist Authority and in particular the Samui branch detests (naturally) bad publicity. In the current edition of local newspaper (Samui Express) there is a huge headline which cites a certain Samui bigwig criticising a recent CNN report which during recent (but less severe) flooding had said that samui was closed to tourists. Considering that the floods have closed samui's only airport today and most of yesterday, is it safe to assume CNN is wrong?. Maybe instead of shouting from the rooftops whenever someone criticises all the things wrong with this island, they should take a step back and see for themselves what all the fuss is about. Even better, if they are not too busy tonight, try taking a stroll down the 'very touristy' south chaweng beach road. (Better take a boat - you will need it!)

post-18185-1194527037_thumb.jpg

Maybe instead of shouting from the rooftops whenever someone criticises all the things wrong with this island, they should take a step back and see for themselves what all the fuss is about. Even better, if they are not too busy tonight, try taking a stroll down the 'very touristy' south chaweng beach road. (Better take a boat - you will need it!)

Ko Samui and surrounding Provinces have been declared a disaster zone!

Doesn't this tell all?

I just came back right now, I wanted to go to the Sportsmans for a nice game of pool, as I realised that all roads to the chaweng beach road are flooded. Even the lake side road and the soi reggae are flooded due to a record lake water level. The flood water level is much more worse than 2 years ago.

I just came back right now, I wanted to go to the Sportsmans for a nice game of pool, as I realised that all roads to the chaweng beach road are flooded. Even the lake side road and the soi reggae are flooded due to a record lake water level. The flood water level is much more worse than 2 years ago.

the damage it is causing is unbelievable ..........

This is normal so what is the big story?

More pics.........from south chaweng beach, in front of the 72 villa, four star resort Banana Fan Sea. Enjoy your holiday, please come back to Samui next year and don't forget to tell all your friends back home.....................

post-18185-1194528910_thumb.jpg

post-18185-1194529126_thumb.jpg

Bad weather at Samui delays flights

November 8, 2007 : Last updated 05:01 pm

Surat Thani - Poor weather conditions delayed many flights between Bangkok and Samui Island Thursday, as flooding and heavy downpours continued to wreak havoc on this otherwise tropical paradise.

As of press time, an official at the Bangkok Airways headquarters confirmed that the weather conditions disrupted flight schedule as the airline placed priority on the passengers' safety.

The Nation

LaoPo

This is normal so what is the big story?

Ah, ignorance is bliss eh? Considering this happened (in this severity) previously two years ago and prior to that around twenty years ago is hardly what i would call 'Normal' Two years ago the damage was caused was over 300 million baht and the currents floods are considered worse. Given that Ko samui is a small part of Suratthani province and receives very little in funding in proportion to the amount of money samui brings in, maybe that is the big story. Or the fact that thousands of tourists are stranded and hundreds of shops and homes are flooded.

Normal?

it's all only about money - what about the people who can't make any claims -they are the ones who are stuck in the middle of it all!

I got some pictures from Mae Nam Area - I can ensure everyone this happend and will happen again, and again!

Samui is applying for City Status , which woulds mean more funds for roads , drainage etc - instead of money going to build fantastic roads in Surat Thani , we should get a few miles in Samui that don't break up after a month of being repaired . With hopefully more thought to environmental issues , and so improving Samui as a tourist destination . I hope that the people in charge , the new mayor ? , learn from this years problems and work to improve things in the future ?? !