Buying A Car

The info in the link is not correct.

You can get the letter from Immigration providing proof of your address, this service is normally FREE!!

Just make sure your landlord has registered to say that you are living at the address, and that it is the one you gave on your TM card when you entered the country.

If you have been in the country more than 90 days you will also need to have registered with Immigration.

Provided you have done the above steps getting the letter is very easy.

You will also need copies of you passport for the Car Registration procedure. If you are buying from a dealer he will handle the vehicle registration for you and it should take no more than one week for a second hand vehicle, usually less.

If you are buying a new car the registration takes around 3 month, and during that time you will have red plates on the car

Edited by astral

I was transferring a Bangkok registered secondhand pickup I had bought to a Chon Buri registraion four weeks ago. Simulatneously I requested to register ownership in my name and was refused. Reason given was that I had to have a Work Permit. I hold one year O Visa - supporting Thai spouse and have a Thai driving licence. Therefore registered the vehicle in my wife's name. After collecting registration papers at Chon Buri I was allowed to register the pickup in my name. When I inquired why Bangkok refused they stated different provinces have different interpretation of the regulations!!!

I was transferring a Bangkok registered secondhand pickup I had bought to a Chon Buri registraion four weeks ago. Simulatneously I requested to register ownership in my name and was refused. Reason given was that I had to have a Work Permit. I hold one year O Visa - supporting Thai spouse and have a Thai driving licence. Therefore registered the vehicle in my wife's name. After collecting registration papers at Chon Buri I was allowed to register the pickup in my name. When I inquired why Bangkok refused they stated different provinces have different interpretation of the regulations!!!

That is Bull---t.

The only requirement is a Non-Immigrant visa.

I ahve owned several vehicles in my own name over the last 15 years and have never had a work permit.

You should ask to see the supervisor, often the clerk in remote area do not know the rules. In Chonburi province you would have no problem as they are used to farangs ownign vehicles of all sorts.

Each time I have obtained a residence confirmation letter from the Administrative Section of the Chiang Mai Immigration compound, I was charged 300 Baht, three times over two years.

No receipt was offered, though. However, three different immigration staff members were involved and the amount never varied.

Astral, if you got yours for no charge, share with us where?

That is Bull---t.

The only requirement is a Non-Immigrant visa. You should ask to see the supervisor, often the clerk in remote area do not know the rules. In Chonburi province you would have no problem as they are used to farangs ownign vehicles of all sorts.

Astral, the request was made at the main car registry in Bangkok, not in a remote area. I showed my Passport with O visa & extensions etc and was still refused to register in my name unless I had a Work permit. No bullshit...