Non-immig 'o' visa renewal

I presently hold the subject visa issued by the Thai embassy in Abu Dhabi. I hope you can help with the following questions.

>

>First some personal info.

>

>I am a US national married to a Thai national...marriage certificate issued in Abu Dhabi by Thai embassy. I am over 50 years old but do not desire a retiree visa.

>

>I own a property in my wife's name in Thailand.

>

>I am presently unemployed but have an income that can be verified with bank statements. I am presently seeking work and will be leaving Thailand for that purpose when the time comes. Presently no plans to remain permanently in Thailand.

>

>

>Do I need to have employment to renew my visa?

>

>Do I need to have 200k baht in a Thai bank to renew my visa?

>

>Does the renewed visa need to be issued at a Thai consulate overseas? How long does the renewal process take...will probably go to Penang for this purpose.

>

>Any information that is offered will be greatly appreciated.  

>

>The subject visa expires 08 July 2003 and I need to travel 19 July for the three month visa run (last entry to Thailand 20 April and 19 July stamped in passport as date for exit for visa). I recently obtained a new clean passport from the US embassy in BKK.

>

>Thanking you and best regards

>

>robertT

>

Married to a Thai you should be able to obtain another multi entry class O visa at Penang by application in the morning of a workday and picking it up the following workday afternoon, believe 2 PM.  They will require a copy of the marriage certificate and perhaps of id card of your wife.  There is no requirement for work or funds for this type of visa.  If you want to extend your stay in Thailand rather than obtain a new visa then your would need about 200-250k in a bank account or proof of income.  You would have to do this soon by going to immigration with your wife, passport, letter from bank showing funds in account and passbook with copies, photos you you together, home register of wife, ID card of wife, and apply for one year extension.  But if you will be traveling perhaps the visa at Penang is all you need.