Can Duck Be Served Medium Rare?

junkofdavid2

Hi!

It's been touted that chicken has to be well-cooked.

However, I remember being served duck which "seemed to be" medium rare a couple of times; in "hi-so" restaurants here and in other countries.

Just wondering... is it safe to cook duck medium rare?

If so, why is it different from chicken, if at all? :o

Hi, chicken is particular prone to Salmonella and e-coly bacteria - most cicken today are infected with either or both - this has something to do with mass-breeding and the way the slaughtering process takes place where the meat is contaminated - this is the reason why you should never use the same knife to cut any other meats, especially those which will not be cooked, once you have used it on a chicken - cutting boards etc.. should be cleaned with really hot water and desinfectants.

ducks are not - that's why duck breast is served usually medium and safe - commonly pork also is believed should be well done - this is only true in regions where "trichinosys" is found among pork stocks - however, even if you are in an affected region, if you freeze the pork at -30C for 3 weeks - it is safe, considered trichinosys free and its safe to make for example a filet of pork medium -

John

commonly pork also is believed should be well done - this is only true in regions where "trichinosys" is found among pork stocks

John

Thanks John!

Anyway, anyone know if Thailand/Bkk is a region where trichonosys is found in pork stocks?

They seem to serve pork medium rare often here... especially when it's grilled pork. :o

Hi,

wouldn't worry about Trichinosys too much here rather Salmonella and e-coly - considering the handling and storage - by strret vendors - anything boiled is OK, butI'd be careful with meat that is not well done they do not exactly produce food to int. health standards

IMHO, duck is best served at a temperature between this

four-legged-duck-733287.jpg

and this

390794785_175e78ea3b.jpg

I like Chinese-style duck, but it's almost like a steak when served rare. Never been sick from eating at restaurants or cooking duck myself rare here. I did get salmonella in the west and it makes most food poisoning seem like a holiday. Anybody know if salmonella in chicken is common here as well?

• 1 year later...

Duck medium rare should not be chewy - that usually happens when you do not leave it to rest long enough after it comes out of the oven

the one in the picture is a bit too rare, should have had a little more time in the oven befor resting and slicing

I raised a query regarding duck preparation once in Changchun, Jilin province in NE China...the room was fulla chinese engineers. What began as polite banter soon deteriorated...glasses were hurled and there were fisticuffs...everyone had their own method and defended rigourously to the point of colleagues challenging each others mastery of basic thermodynamics...

I'm sendin' the niece out to the market now...the wife makes a badass roast duck...

Edited by tutsiwarrior