London To Bangkok

seonai

I want to do London to Bkk overland next year, possibly to raise money for people with TB - just trying to get it orgainised. Rinrada would you say the route by train via Moscow-Beijing-Hanoi-Ho Chi Min is a good one? And how to get to Bkk from Vietnam? (I saw a post in another thread where I think you did this trip)

Any other ideas about London-Bkk out there would be appreciated

This link is a good start:

London - Beijing:

http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm#Route%20map

Or, the Silk route:

http://www.seat61.com/SilkRoute.htm

From Beijing to Vietnam:

http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm#Internat...0from%20Vietnam

From Vietnam you have to take, partly, a bus+train route; link below:

And a link, all the way from London to Bangkok:

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#London%...land%20overland

It takes a LOT of planning and preparation; but, you are not the first...

LaoPo

May I suggest that as a fund raising exercise, by train is far too easy; unless you're going to use local services that is. Better off if you attempt this journey by road or, a combination of various forms of overland transport and possibly with a set timescale; make it a proper challenge.

Thanks both above for the links and ideas. Great website LaaPo. CS - well I intend to use local services as it's far too expensive to book the TranSiberian. I am disabled (the TB has damaged me so badly that I can't breathe/walk properly) so I have to be careful re travel plans ie no hills/slopes between transport. But I do see what you mean about fund raising. Has anyone got any other ideas please? I was thinking I could choose a place where people have TB (in Thailand) need help and target that. (Shocking to see how many TV members have it as well and partners of TV members but there must be somewhere I can find.)

Do you think if I did it by local train it would still look too easy?

Thanks both above for the links and ideas. Great website LaaPo. CS - well I intend to use local services as it's far too expensive to book the TranSiberian. I am disabled (the TB has damaged me so badly that I can't breathe/walk properly) so I have to be careful re travel plans ie no hills/slopes between transport. But I do see what you mean about fund raising. Has anyone got any other ideas please? I was thinking I could choose a place where people have TB (in Thailand) need help and target that. (Shocking to see how many TV members have it as well and partners of TV members but there must be somewhere I can find.)

Do you think if I did it by local train it would still look too easy?

No. You could also try and do it within a budget as part of the challenge. The point I was making is that using the services as suggested in the links is not difficult, you only need the time and inclination. I'm sure taking the Trans Siberian Express would be an experience, admittedly I'd like to try it myself, but it's certainly no challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
I want to do London to Bkk overland next year, possibly to raise money for people with TB - just trying to get it orgainised. Rinrada would you say the route by train via Moscow-Beijing-Hanoi-Ho Chi Min is a good one? And how to get to Bkk from Vietnam? (I saw a post in another thread where I think you did this trip)

It's very straightforward by the Trans-Siberian - I did it 11 years ago. After getting to Beijing, I took the train to Kunming and from there flew to Chiang Mai - the only part of the journey not done by train. (London to St Petersburg to Moscow is easy by train.)

Then I took the train to Bangkok and actually ended the journey with a 5 hour train journey to Pattaya.

A great experience and one I wouldn't mind repeating.

I find the 11 hour flight from London to Bangkok boring but I was never bored on that journey - even though it took about 10 days!

given my experiences in the above post can I come with you please

It's very straightforward by the Trans-Siberian - I did it 11 years ago. After getting to Beijing, I took the train to Kunming and from there flew to Chiang Mai - the only part of the journey not done by train. (London to St Petersburg to Moscow is easy by train.)

Then I took the train to Bangkok and actually ended the journey with a 5 hour train journey to Pattaya.

I find the 11 hour flight from London to Bangkok boring but I was never bored on that journey - even though it took about 10 days!

How long was the journey form Beijing to Kunming and how does that compare to Beijing to HCM. Looking at a map it seems like a much better route to take.

How long was the journey form Beijing to Kunming and how does that compare to Beijing to HCM. Looking at a map it seems like a much better route to take.

Sorry, I can't remember exactly but it was a long journey - about 2 days, I think.

But I do recall that it wasn't expensive and the train was good - better than some of the ones on the Trans Siberian part of the journey. And I imagine it will have got even better since then.

If you were going to do it, probably a good idea would be to take a break somewhere.