Looking For Canoo Or Small River Boat

Gimbo

I am in the market for a small canoo (2 people size) for day trips /fishing on the Mae Nam Mun river. One of them plastic canoo's is more than good enough for me.

If can not find a western style canoo, of them local little plastic flat bottomed long and narrow boats is good enough.

The closer to Puthhaisong I can find one, the better as we do not have car, so dealer must bring to the village.

Anyone seen a dealer somewhere?

Well I dont know where you live :

But on the way into Surin from Buriram on the 226 there is a place on the left sells them there plastic boats that the fisherman use its a wharehouse with all sorts of plastic tubs etc and the boats outside, situated before the Michelin tyre premises and passed the Prasat turn off

But on the way into Surin from Buriram on the 226 there is a place on the left sells them there plastic boats that the fisherman use its a wharehouse with all sorts of plastic tubs etc and the boats outside, situated before the Michelin tyre premises and passed the Prasat turn off

Thanks for the tip.

I am on the border between Buriram and Surin, 35 km North West of Satuek, in Amphour Putthaisong. If you look at the map of Surin, it's just on the tip that finger of surin that stretches westwards.

Surin is 1,5 hours drive away, so a bit far away. So if anyone have other tips?

Thanks for the tip.

I am on the border between Buriram and Surin, 35 km North West of Satuek, in Amphour Putthaisong. If you look at the map of Surin, it's just on the tip that finger of surin that stretches westwards.

Surin is 1,5 hours drive away, so a bit far away. So if anyone have other tips?

The very simple moulded plastic ones are available in Ubon. Modelled after the small wooden fishing boats, a bit like a canoe, around 5k baht. Modelled more like a rowing boat, about 3.5k baht. They come in any colour you want as long as you want red or blue.

From the clock tower, head NNW towards Yasothon. You will see them on the left hand side of the road before you reach the ring road. The shop is obvious, with the same tubs etc. mentioned by macb.

I am in the market for a small canoo (2 people size) for day trips /fishing on the Mae Nam Mun river. One of them plastic canoo's is more than good enough for me.

If can not find a western style canoo, of them local little plastic flat bottomed long and narrow boats is good enough.

The closer to Puthhaisong I can find one, the better as we do not have car, so dealer must bring to the village.

this company is based in bangkok but will ship to wherever you are in thailand.

http://www.feelfreekayak.com/inter/kayak_move.htm

If you plan on making daytrips and going fishing on Mae Nam Moon, I think those little plastic boats will not suit you. Especially at times when there is alot of water (and fish) in the river at the end of the raining season. A bigger canadian style canoe would suit you better. I have searched the internet and could not find them in Thailand, apart from that freekayak shop, which wells imported plastic kayaks. As they are imported, the price is also quite high.

That is why I have built one myself (17' Prospector stripplanked and epoxy/glass sheated) post-17391-1195311682_thumb.jpgpost-17391-1195311807_thumb.jpgand am busy with a second one, not far away from where you live. I live in Amphoo Chumphonbury, about 20 km. North west of Satuk. If you come from Phuttaisong and cross the 219 at Thang Phat junction it is about 13 km from there. I went on Mae Nam Moon with it a month ago (when the water level and the current where at its highest) from Ban Yang Chum to Ban Taklang (elephant village) and the boat performed extremely well. Also had a go with it during Satuk boat races and it got good reception there too. If you like you can come and have a look at it and maybe get tempted to build one yourself too. It is not as hard as you think. And if you do, you would not only have a boat which is fit for what you want to do with it, but also a nice peace of art to look at.

Cheers

Arthur

If you plan on making daytrips and going fishing on Mae Nam Moon, I think those little plastic boats will not suit you. Especially at times when there is alot of water (and fish) in the river at the end of the raining season. A bigger canadian style canoe would suit you better. I have searched the internet and could not find them in Thailand, apart from that freekayak shop, which wells imported plastic kayaks. As they are imported, the price is also quite high.

That is why I have built one myself (17' Prospector stripplanked and epoxy/glass sheated) post-17391-1195311682_thumb.jpgpost-17391-1195311807_thumb.jpgand am busy with a second one, not far away from where you live. I live in Amphoo Chumphonbury, about 20 km. North west of Satuk. If you come from Phuttaisong and cross the 219 at Thang Phat junction it is about 13 km from there. I went on Mae Nam Moon with it a month ago (when the water level and the current where at its highest) from Ban Yang Chum to Ban Taklang (elephant village) and the boat performed extremely well. Also had a go with it during Satuk boat races and it got good reception there too. If you like you can come and have a look at it and maybe get tempted to build one yourself too. It is not as hard as you think. And if you do, you would not only have a boat which is fit for what you want to do with it, but also a nice peace of art to look at.

Cheers

Arthur

Hey, that's a fine-looking boat you built Arthur! Nice one. You should think about volunteering your services at a local secondary school and encouraging them to have a go at building a similar canoe. Maybe you could ask folks back home to chip in the cost of materials through sponsoring the school. I've just done something similar for schools up in Nakhon Phanom near the Songkhram River. I got the sponsorship money by canoeing down the length of the Nam Songkhram in July. Coincidentally, the story is covered in today's Outlook section of Bangkok Post.

I think canoeing or kayaking is one of the best ways for getting young people to appreciate their local river and thus increasing the likelihood of looking after it in future. It's also a great way of seeing the countryside and some brilliant old characters who still fish for a living. Like Newquay trawlermen, they're a dying breed unfortunately. :o

Hey, that's a fine-looking boat you built Arthur! Nice one. You should think about volunteering your services at a local secondary school and encouraging them to have a go at building a similar canoe. Maybe you could ask folks back home to chip in the cost of materials through sponsoring the school. I've just done something similar for schools up in Nakhon Phanom near the Songkhram River. I got the sponsorship money by canoeing down the length of the Nam Songkhram in July. Coincidentally, the story is covered in today's Outlook section of Bangkok Post.

I think canoeing or kayaking is one of the best ways for getting young people to appreciate their local river and thus increasing the likelihood of looking after it in future. It's also a great way of seeing the countryside and some brilliant old characters who still fish for a living. Like Newquay trawlermen, they're a dying breed unfortunately. :o

Thank you paddlesup for the compliments on my boat. I am quite pleased with it myself too, since it is my first self built boat. The hull is out of the local Mai Takian Thong and the trimmings Mai Pra Doo (Rosewood) I made it completely from scratch out of rough lumber, stripped and routered the strips all myself. It was a hel_l of a job but I enjoyed doing it. Even the seats are made out of wild cut rattan, stripped and woven myself ( must be honest my wife did the weaving)

Great what you have been doing with the school. Coincidently, I am starting up a similar project now with Chumphonburi secondary school. It is a combination with their sports instruction, English converstation and arts&crafts. I have volunteered to provide, the materials, working facilities and instruction and design for two longboats (crew of 8) which the students can make under my supervision. The two boats will be donated to the school to use for sports instruction. In the course of the year the school will form two teams out of the best performing paddlers to take part in the boatraces which are held every year at the end of the raining season. The boats will carry the sponsor name "Meuanfun Resort", which is my wife's operation. Cooperation from school and local authorities is great and we are looking forward to next years races.

I will be buying a copy of the BKK Post today to read about your activities.

Cheers

Arthur

Cheers

Arthur

Great looking boat.

Would love to read more on how to build one.

Cheers

Cheers

Arthur

great boat, looking forward to cruise with my cuisin on the mea nam mon aswell, but were can i find drawings or buildinginstructions of a canoe1

tx

Cheers

Arthur

great boat, looking forward to cruise with my cuisin on the mea nam mon aswell, but were can i find drawings or buildinginstructions of a canoe1

tx

From me, if you are serious about this.

Komen wij misschien uit hetzelfde dorp in Noord-Holland? :o

Groeten

Arthur

Enjoyed reading about you and your two buddies...what's up next, the length of the mekong?

Arthur,

At the risk of repitition that's a really great looking boat - and such a good ideas and deeds too. Not sure if we have your skill and tenacity, but is a thought and love the community spin offs.

Only got to this today - is there another way of getting the Bangkok Post article at all?

Best wishes.

Thank you paddlesup for the compliments on my boat. I am quite pleased with it myself too, since it is my first self built boat. The hull is out of the local Mai Takian Thong and the trimmings Mai Pra Doo (Rosewood) I made it completely from scratch out of rough lumber, stripped and routered the strips all myself. It was a hel_l of a job but I enjoyed doing it. Even the seats are made out of wild cut rattan, stripped and woven myself ( must be honest my wife did the weaving)

Great what you have been doing with the school. Coincidently, I am starting up a similar project now with Chumphonburi secondary school. It is a combination with their sports instruction, English converstation and arts&crafts. I have volunteered to provide, the materials, working facilities and instruction and design for two longboats (crew of 8) which the students can make under my supervision. The two boats will be donated to the school to use for sports instruction. In the course of the year the school will form two teams out of the best performing paddlers to take part in the boatraces which are held every year at the end of the raining season. The boats will carry the sponsor name "Meuanfun Resort", which is my wife's operation. Cooperation from school and local authorities is great and we are looking forward to next years races.

I will be buying a copy of the BKK Post today to read about your activities.

Cheers

Arthur

That's excellent using local wood to complete the boat, and for a first attempt, I'd say a brilliant finshed article! How many coats of lacquer did you have to apply, and did you use any of the local hole plugger "kii-sii" from the stick-lac insect? It's that red stuff which is mixed with the resin from a mai yang to produce a tacky glue that works wonders in keeping holey boats watertight! Having said that, probably just easier to get a silicon gun and squirt a few shots of that in. Or maybe you needed nothing, as the wood was a perfect fit?

I'm really encouraged to hear that you are going to be helping local kids to build one of the boats and wish you the best of luck. Thai students, if given the right supportive environment can be very creative and good with their hands I've noticed (just look at those amazing candles they carve and the elaborate floats for Loy Kratong), so I've got faith that you'll get a good result. In fact, they'll probably do far better at the boat building than they will with the English lessons, although the non-formal environment of the workshop will be more conducive to learning than the snore-inducing classroom! Just split them into small groups for each activity and make it sanuk, and you can't go far wrong. Weed out any troublemakers early on is one other word of advice! :o

Arthur,

At the risk of repitition that's a really great looking boat - and such a good ideas and deeds too. Not sure if we have your skill and tenacity, but is a thought and love the community spin offs.

Only got to this today - is there another way of getting the Bangkok Post article at all?

Best wishes.

Yes, go to www.bangkokpost.com and look up Archives or Recent Issues and then click on Saturday 17 November and you'll see it in Outlook section. :o

Enjoyed reading about you and your two buddies...what's up next, the length of the mekong?

Wouldn't mind having a crack at the Mekong, at least from Lao-Chinese border on down to the Delta, but unfortunately, don't have the money or time for such a long adventure just now.

The Mekong has been canoed from "source" (at least near enough) to sea now, with an Australian called Mick O'Shea achieving this incredible feat of endurance, especially the upper reaches through Tibet and down the gorges in Yunnan. There's a film out of his trip which I saw last January and it is just awesome the raw power of the river through those gorges, which have stoppers and whirlpools that could swallow a truck. He did it just after the sping snow melted and the river was becoming more angry and raging each day, and of course icy cold.

At one point he was sucked under in a bloody great stopper and luckily spat out again a little while later, but without his canoe. He just about struggles to the edge of the torrent, but then is faced with a huge climb in an uninhabited gorge with little hope of rescue. He climbs a mile up the steep sides of this massive slope and just by sheer good fortune stumbles on an old Tibetan woman in a shack. By this time he's getting hypothermia and she literally saves his life by feeding him yak's milk tea and warming him up. He manages to get out to a road and a lift to safety eventually.

Not to be put off, Mick has another crack at the same gorge and section of rapids in a replacement canoe, but this time he takes along the old Tibetan woman who saved his life to watch. There's a lovely scene where she starts crying and praying to all the spirits to save her "adopted son", as he disappears behind these giant angry foaming walls of water in a little canoe. Brave guy. :D

Mick now campaigns around the world, trying to alert public opinion to the dangers of the Chinese-built dams to the countries and people living downstream, with his film and book of the journey being a powerful testament to the unique and abundant nature of the Mekong, largely unspoilt by pollution, concrete and dams up til now. :D

Edited by paddlesup

Cheers

Arthur

Thanks Arthur, that canoe sure is impressive. I just do not have the patience to embark on a project like that, and it does not help with about 10 thumbs either.

My wife used to help her dad build those long and narrow canoes with next to nothing for freeboard. And a few are tied up down by the river right now. But those are to scary for me. But she claims she can build one he he.

But again, me I am just to lazy. So I'll keep looking for a ready to put on water canoe, and you are right about what I need. A canadian style canoe would fit the bill. I have used canoes before in Norway a lot. But Kayaking I have never tried. And I think I will feel a lot safer in a canoe.

So please give me a heads op should anyone see something like that for sale.

Thanks Arthur, that canoe sure is impressive. I just do not have the patience to embark on a project like that, and it does not help with about 10 thumbs either.

My wife used to help her dad build those long and narrow canoes with next to nothing for freeboard. And a few are tied up down by the river right now. But those are to scary for me. But she claims she can build one he he.

But again, me I am just to lazy. So I'll keep looking for a ready to put on water canoe, and you are right about what I need. A canadian style canoe would fit the bill. I have used canoes before in Norway a lot. But Kayaking I have never tried. And I think I will feel a lot safer in a canoe.

So please give me a heads op should anyone see something like that for sale.

Yeah those long narrow ones are really scary. We had a go in two of them at Satuk boat races. Maybe you read the post from TBWG about it. These boats have sure little freeboard and they are built for 7/8 Thai people with an average weight of under 70 kg. No need to tell what will happen if you put 7 farang inside one of them. At Satuk we started trying with 5 farang, but they all had to sit in the center because their asses would not fit closer to the stems. And the freeboard what was left was not enough to withstand our shaky performance in it. We ended up with 3 farang in the center and 2 Thai at bow and stern. This way we could keep it afloat and show at least something that looked like a race.

I am busy now building a longboat fit for farang to race next year. Hope it will improve the performance.

I will let you know if I see or hear anything for you. Meantime if you have time you can always come to chumphonburi and have a go in mine while there is still water in the river.

Cheers

Atrthur

Yeah I read that one and had a few chuckles. I was meant to go and cheer you on, but we where building a kitchen in our house and it took a few days longer than expected.

Anyway, I'd love to have a look at your canoe, so maybe I'll PM you when I can sweet talk the wife into taking a trip. But I just used up all my brownie points on a trip to BKK to meet up with a couple of pals of mine who where in country, so I have to lay low a few days :o

Speaking of which, I better get off this computer and give her some attention or minus points will be awarded :D

• 1 month later...

We have classic canadian canoes in FRP, Kevlar, Carbon or Basalt with epoxy resin with nice woodworking trims, Can send pictures to You if You leave email address in this forum or to

to [email protected]

post-56338-1199442891_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199443016_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199443045_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199443075_thumb.jpg

Edited by luigi123

We have classic canadian canoes in FRP, Kevlar, Carbon or Basalt with epoxy resin with nice woodworking trims, Can send pictures to You if You leave email address in this forum or to

to [email protected]

I had a look at your website but there is not much info.

What size and how much are the Canadian style canoes?

Cheers

to [email protected]

I had a look at your website but there is not much info.

What size and how much are the Canadian style canoes?

Cheers

We built Canoe in CSI Composite Solution International - Laem Chabang for export only to Norway. I have prototypes (4 pcs) for sale at half price. If interest please send private message to [email protected]

post-56338-1199516150_thumb.jpgWe make kayaks as well, cold molded veneer - epoxy. Thai Style Bow, Baidarka original 19 ft seagoing plan.

About canoes are build with high technology with vacuum bagging techniques, epoxy resin, pvc foam core bottom (3 mm Avirex), multiaxiall fabric in kevlar, carbon, hibrid or basalt and E-glass, then over cured in oven at 60 C degree. All wood is Ash and glued with epoxy and/or polyurethane. Search for dealers worlwide, min. order one 40 ft container 18 canoes.

More pictures on http://andamanboatyard.com/gallery/baidarka_kayak/

post-56338-1199515975_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199516021_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199516312_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199516337_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199516358_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199516380_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199516405_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199516463_thumb.jpg

post-56338-1199516521_thumb.jpg

Edited by luigi123