Is It Possible To Obtain A Thai Id Card

Is it possible to obtain a Thai ID card if you are not a Thai citizen?

Seems a silly question, but...

Recently I visited a famous Sukothai National Park. Two rates for visitors clearly printed at the ticket office although the Thai rates written in Thai numerals. I have held a work permit for 8 years. I pay tax (probably more than most Thai citizens) and hold a Thai Tax card. I believed the Tax Card, the blue wp book, 2 5-year Thai driver's licences (car + motorbike), Thai wife and my name in a Tabien Baan would allow me to enter the Park at the local rate. There's not a big difference between foreign and local price but I feel this discrimination is not justified considering my situation. The women at the entrance wouldn't budge, so I requested to speak to their boss. My wife phoned him and he said I would need to have a Thai ID card to enter at the local price. So, my question is can I obtain a Thai ID card?

Seems a silly question, but...

Recently I visited a famous Sukothai National Park. Two rates for visitors clearly printed at the ticket office although the Thai rates written in Thai numerals. I have held a work permit for 8 years. I pay tax (probably more than most Thai citizens) and hold a Thai Tax card. I believed the Tax Card, the blue wp book, 2 5-year Thai driver's licences (car + motorbike), Thai wife and my name in a Tabien Baan would allow me to enter the Park at the local rate. There's not a big difference between foreign and local price but I feel this discrimination is not justified considering my situation. The women at the entrance wouldn't budge, so I requested to speak to their boss. My wife phoned him and he said I would need to have a Thai ID card to enter at the local price. So, my question is can I obtain a Thai ID card?

No, Thai ID cards are for Thai citizens. If you gain permanent residence status, you'll get a card that is somewhat similar though.

I've never had a problem entering places at local rates when presenting my Thai Drivers License.

I second that... never had a problem anywhere with entry fees when I present my Thai driving licence. It's considered almost as a Thai ID. Easy and cheap to get the driving licence.

I've never had a problem entering places at local rates when presenting my Thai Drivers License.

I second that... never had a problem anywhere with entry fees when I present my Thai driving licence. It's considered almost as a Thai ID. Easy and cheap to get the driving licence.

Same for me, as long as you have a Thai Drivers License, No problem!!!

Mattias

even used it once at Heathrow once with immigration/customs to go round the back door to pick up a lost bag.. :o

I had gone straight to the airport from work and ..no PP so when I had to convince them I was gen ..using my Thai DL they were probably more amused than anything else...but I went through..... and........ got the bag (wifes)...

Handy wee document..... :D

My 2 5-year Thai driving licences didn't work at Sukothai. The staff and director were clear: Thai ID card only. Is there official policy anywhere on the web regarding being allowed in to places at the local rate if you are a tax-paying resident?

My 2 5-year Thai driving licences didn't work at Sukothai. The staff and director were clear: Thai ID card only. Is there official policy anywhere on the web regarding being allowed in to places at the local rate if you are a tax-paying resident?

dunno if it 'offical, official', but I've been to enough parks/places in different parts of Thailand where I've heard the same answer: a WP, DL or Tax ID is acceptable.

No doubt, there will always be exceptions to the rule, but given how one hand of the Thai government very rarely talks to another, and then to see a relative uniformity in the acceptance of WP, DL's or Tax ID's, then I strongly suspect that there must be some sort of official sanctioning of it.

can't get consistent rules applied at immigration offices or consulates. I think havimg a clear and consistant application of pricing at parks is asking a bit much.

Edited by jstumbo

Talk to your wife and let her sponsor you into the Yellow Tabien Ban booklet.......

I am actually in the tabien baan but didn't have with me. I've had no problem at other places before, just needed the tax card and driver's licence. I've read people post there are rules so if I can find an 'official' source, I can quote in future.

I find that the Thai's often use a drivers licence as an ID card, in fact the number on the card is the same as their ID card.

I have never had any problem when showing my licence card.

For the record, I returned to the UK last year and left my UK licence in Thailand by mistake, I used my Thai licence to rent a car at heathrow without any problem at all, much to my surprise.

A Thai drivers licence is cheap and quite easy to obtain, it's as close to Thai ID as you will get.

Edited by technologybytes

CHARGES TO NATIONAL PARKS - CHANGE FROM 15th NOVEMBER

ALL FOREIGNERS TO PAY FULL PRICE 400THB

The real question here is has there been a change in the policy in Thailand of allowing long stay foreigners to enter national parks etc. at the local Thai prices. Up until now this has been straightforward by using Thai driving licence or similar BUT THIS MAY HAVE CHANGED.

We visited Doi Suthep national park yesterday and the officials demanded 400THB per person from all 10 of us. We protested that we are all Thai residents and had the necessary documents only to be told that there had been a recent meeting and that ALL foreigners are now required to pay. We protested about this and pointed out that there had been no signs or notice to this effect (we suspected that it had been made up) In the end the officials backed down, charged us 20THB each and said that we would have to pay 400THB next time! (we pointed out that there would not be a next time if this was the policy - we are voting with our feet.

This seems to be a new policy - the meeting was said to have taken place on 15th November - has any one else heard about this or is it just a few locals making policy up on the hoof????

Roger, Chiang Mai

....... In the end the officials backed down, charged us 20THB each and said that we would have to pay 400THB next time! (we pointed out that there would not be a next time if this was the policy - we are voting with our feet.

This seems to be a new policy - the meeting was said to have taken place on 15th November - has any one else heard about this or is it just a few locals making policy up on the hoof????

Roger, Chiang Mai

Falangs watch out !! They try to get you all the time..... but even the stupid Falang is not that stupid.

No, Thai ID cards are for Thai citizens. If you gain permanent residence status, you'll get a card that is somewhat similar though.

Permanent residents do not get a card of any sort. They get a Residents book and an Alien registration book, both large and not easy to carry in one's pocket.

Usually the combination of both books is sufficient to obtain entry to most places at the Thai price, the only exceptions I have encountered in recent years were at Phu Rua national park In Loei province. and Nong Nooch in Pattaya area. In Phu Rua after speaking to the boss on the telephone, a discounted farang price was granted. But at Nong Nooch, the ticket office would not budge and demanded 400bt and said "If you don't like it - go home" I duly paid as my family were looking forward to it, but later I went to the office, and saw the big Chinese boss, who apologised profusely, refunded the money and even invited my family and I to their special Loy Kratong party. Whilst in the office, the ticket office were all summoned to a special meting at close of days business. Maybe a few heads rolled!

I always use my Thai driving licence, even when I fly on Air Asia from BKK to Chiang Mai no need for a passport at all..If you are hold a valid WP you can enter all national parks etc.. at the Thai price BUT as always it just depends on the guy running the show for that park - some are just greedy as***les!

Little bit off topic, just that I had used my Thai DL to make entrance many places during our recent vist to Chiang Mai Thai prices.

Last month we visited Doi Suthep near Chiang Mai. I wondered about entrance fee, as really there should be no fee to enter a Wat. At the top off the 300+ steps I noticed a sign asking all foreigners to turn right and pay fee at the office.

As far as I could see there was no-one checking for tickets, so I just walked in. Meanwhil all the law abiding farangs were paying their 'entrance fee'.

What a scam.... :o

I’ll answer your question.

Non Thai citizens from certain South East Asian countries such a Burma, Vietnam etc can obtain Thai ID cards but with conditions.

They must be working and the employer applies for a one-year work permit for them, a Thai ID card is issued with the work permit at the same time. At the back of the card is printed: non Thai worker but with this card the foreign worker is granted all the same privileges as a Thai for one year, including the medical 30 baht scheme.

It is really a tied ID card that pertains to the job. If the foreign worker losses the job, the ID card is no longer valid.

As for us Westerners, Thai ID cards are not issued to us.

Talk to your wife and let her sponsor you into the Yellow Tabien Ban booklet.......

I am actually in the tabien baan but didn't have with me. I've had no problem at other places before, just needed the tax card and driver's licence. I've read people post there are rules so if I can find an 'official' source, I can quote in future.

Can someone educate me on this "tax card"? I'm a tax paying, DL holding farang for coming up on 4 years, but never heard of a "tax card".

Can someone educate me on this "tax card"? I'm a tax paying, DL holding farang for coming up on 4 years, but never heard of a "tax card".

A Tax ID card is issed to all tax payers. You company accountant is probably holding it for you, thinking they are doing you a favour. But if you have been paying personal income tax in Thailand, it invariably will exist and someone will be holding on to it for you.

A Tax ID card is issed to all tax payers. You company accountant is probably holding it for you, thinking they are doing you a favour. But if you have been paying personal income tax in Thailand, it invariably will exist and someone will be holding on to it for you.

Thanks. I'm sure someone at my company is doing this...I will ask for it.

I attach a copy of mine - sorry for blacked out bits. Like to maintain anonymity online - nothing personal. I got it from my employer, laminated it and now it travels everywhere with me. Hasn't failed me yet in any of the National Parks etc. Mind you, I always say in Thai when I present it that "tham ngaan ti Grunthep. Sia pa-sii ti nii" (work in BKK. Pay tax here).

Got my 5 year driving licence renewed for the new credit card style one last week, complete with scanned photo. Will try it on domestic flights - thanks for the tip on that one.

Also, I went to Wat Arun with some friends who are on first visit to Thailand and when I asked the lady at the kiosk in Thai if my friend was dressed appropriately, she asked if I live here and then let me in for free! Bonus!

I reckon speaking more than the minimum Thai is the clincher, but suppose there'll always be a jobs worth who digs his heels in.

Good luck.

post-50726-1195446169_thumb.jpg

Edited by dottie

Any time as a Farang I am asked to pay more than my Thai citizen companions I refuse stating that this is discrimination and incontrevention of the Thai constitution. I then walk away with all my companions following. As I'm usually the one who is paying for them to enter they don't get to go in either.

I will continue this practise until I see a sign at some European or American establishments stating that Thais pay more.

I beg all of you to do the same. Every time you pay more you are endorsing the system...

Actually you don't have to look very far - when I lived in Florida Disneyland had such a policy - but they made it PC by saying residents of Florida received a discount.

Yes and in the Netherlands we have systems like that. But they involve generally poorer people. They get special cards which gets them into museums and things like that cheaper. But they are never for everybody. Offcourse we have scammers in the Netherlands like everyone else in the world who charge tourists more if they get a chance. But there are no official government policies involved.

You see lopburi3 I am pretty sure that no Florida residents pay 10 times more to enter Disneyland do they? A small price difference I could accept personally. Like Thais paying 40 baht and others 60 baht. But 40 vs 400??? Ever since this 10fold policy came into play I simply refused to visit national parks. Even my gf understands me and understands that I will not go with her.

What actually gets me ticked off even more is that when we play with the Thai comedygroup in places like that they grovel in front of me and give me high and respectfull Wai's want my autograph and want to be in a picture with me, they all go around telling me how good my Thai is and that since I have been here for 9 years I am a Thai already blablabla. But if I would have come alone they would have charged me the 400 baht. Although I never tried it out. I must admit though that I have never really experienced any real problems with Thai officials. Only some minor problems when opening a bank account (they kept me waiting for a long time in the hope I would go away) really. With immigration and other officials always smooth sailing! (me knocks on wood)

Waerth