Non Immi "o" Double Entry Confusion

Hi Guys, looking for some clarity on this issue.

I was issued with a non imm "o" double entry (2 x 90 days)

in Australia.

On arrival in the kingdom going through imigration, the officer wrote "1" and "2" on the visa page and stamped the opposite page of the visa with a 90 day stamp and said "I give you 90 days" Apart from writing "1" and "2" on the visa page, there was no other stamp or writting defacing the visa page..

I'm unsure if this means:

the visa is "used" and I must exit the country after 90 days

the visa is still valid and I can stay untill the full 180 days granted in the visa has elapsed (more a pipe dream

than anything else)

The visa is still valid, I must exit the kingdom beforer the 90 days has elapsed and re-enter to recieve a second 90 days "stamp"

Would appreciate info on what options are available to me. Can I simply goto any immi office and get another stamp (assuming the visa is still valid)

Many thanks for any help

Pete

Pete, it would be interesting to learn why you got a double entry Non-O-Visa. Was your passport not valid long enough?

1. If your present visa does not carry an overriding stamp “Used”, then it is still valid until the date where it says …”this visa must be utilised before …….”

2. Next to your visa page you will also find a Stamp to Stay Date and before that date you have to make a border run, which means you have to leave Thailand, get to a neighbouring country, enter that country and return straight back to Thailand. By doing this you will be granted the second 90 days.

3. Max. 4 weeks, min. 3 weeks before the expiry of your second 90 days, you may extend your present visa at immigration inside Thailand on grounds having money in the bank (THB 800K in a Thai Bank for 3 months), an Income Letter by your Embassy showing THB 65K monthly when single or THB 40K monthly when married.

Pete, it would be interesting to learn why you got a double entry Non-O-Visa. Was your passport not valid long enough?

1. If your present visa does not carry an overriding stamp "Used", then it is still valid until the date where it says …"this visa must be utilised before ……."

2. Next to your visa page you will also find a Stamp to Stay Date and before that date you have to make a border run, which means you have to leave Thailand, get to a neighbouring country, enter that country and return straight back to Thailand. By doing this you will be granted the second 90 days.

3. Max. 4 weeks, min. 3 weeks before the expiry of your second 90 days, you may extend your present visa at immigration inside Thailand on grounds having money in the bank (THB 800K in a Thai Bank for 3 months), an Income Letter by your Embassy showing THB 65K monthly when single or THB 40K monthly when married.

thanks for the reply.

I was not eligable for 12 month visa... I was granted the 2x90 day non imm "o" after talking to what I would describe "an extremely leinient" consulate in aust, after having told them I simply wanted to visit friends rather than "tourism".. no other info was needed... I've since learned I've been extremely lucky to get such a visa. (I dont qualify for retirment or work visa)

Correct, there is no overriding stamp on the visa, but the notation of "1" and "2" written in black ink on the via page bothers me.

Unfortunately there is a nasty "extension of stay not permitted" printed on the visa so I will not be able to extnd.

Looks like a border run is my next course of action.

Malaysia looks ideal given no visa (and hence no application proccess and/or fee) is required to enter the country which I am told is the case with Laos. I dont know about cambodia, is a visa required to enter cambodia or Vietnam? or can I simply get a stamp on arrival without the need of any time consuming visa application process.

There are some great deals on flights to malaysia around the dates I would need to do the run.

Thanks again

Pete

Correct, there is no overriding stamp on the visa, but the notation of "1" and "2" written in black ink on the via page bothers me.

Unfortunately there is a nasty "extension of stay not permitted" printed on the visa so I will not be able to extnd.

Thanks again

Pete

Do not be bothered by these notations at all. I once carried a triple Non-O-Visa and they did the same to me. Important is that you just do your border run when times comes up.

If you met what I mentioned in point 3 you would still qualify. Otherwise you may try your luck next time with i.e. a single Non-O-Visa from Vientiane / Laos

Pete, sorry to overlook your last paragraph.

Do not be mistaken, a border run means to enter the neighbouring country and buy a visa therefore. You do not need to visit the Thai Consulate however.

Furthermore, I suggest to avoid entering Thailand on so called Visa Exempt Stamps. While you are abroad, always try to get a Tourist Visa at least.

By writing 1 the officer is noting that you have used one entry.

After 90 days you must leave Thailand, but you can come back the same day, if you wish

and you will get the second 90 days.

At that stage the officer may well write or stamp USED over your visa.

By writing 1 the officer is noting that you have used one entry.

After 90 days you must leave Thailand, but you can come back the same day, if you wish

and you will get the second 90 days.

At that stage the officer may well write or stamp USED over your visa.

Thanks for the info

Thats what bothers me, the officer has written "1" AND "2"... but no other stamp or writing indication USED on the visa page.

Ceers

lupin,

In the distant past when I used double entry Non-O's the officer usually wrote 1 AND 2 on the visa page at my first entry but also wrote the date of my first entry after the "1". On second entry the date was written after the "2" and the visa was stamped USED.

I guess the officer just forgot to write the date of your first entry after the "1" -- no problem!

Since the officer told you explicitly that he/she gives you 90 days I'm wondering about the validity of your visa.

Make very sure that the validity …”this visa must be utilised before …….” date is LATER than the date on your entry stamp (permitted to stay until..)! If not you may have to cut short your first 90 days in order to utilize the second entry of your visa.

opalhort

lupin,

In the distant past when I used double entry Non-O's the officer usually wrote 1 AND 2 on the visa page at my first entry but also wrote the date of my first entry after the "1". On second entry the date was written after the "2" and the visa was stamped USED.

I guess the officer just forgot to write the date of your first entry after the "1" -- no problem!

Since the officer told you explicitly that he/she gives you 90 days I'm wondering about the validity of your visa.

Make very sure that the validity …"this visa must be utilised before ……." date is LATER than the date on your entry stamp (permitted to stay until..)! If not you may have to cut short your first 90 days in order to utilize the second entry of your visa.

opalhort

Thanks for that info, I feel a little relieved to know that it is not uncomon to have "1" and "2" written on the visa.

I'm certain the visa is valid, its the 2nd visa I have received from the thai consulate general in Australia.

As to the dates. the permitted to stay is stamped 30 jan 2008, the "visa to be utilised by.." date is april 9th 2008 so by my math this means I should be out and back in to the kingdom by jan 9th at the latest to be able to get the 2nd 90 day stamp..

Thanks again guys.

I am quite sure you will be OK. The dates are no problem.

The officer just forgot to write the first entry date.

These days a double entry Non-O appears to be quite rare (it is either single or multiple).

During my visa run times (in the '90s) a double entry was always marked "1" and "2" on the first entry.

But please wait for the visa experts on TV to confirm before you open the champagne.

opalhort

Thanks for that info, I feel a little relieved to know that it is not uncomon to have "1" and "2" written on the visa.

I'm certain the visa is valid, its the 2nd visa I have received from the thai consulate general in Australia.

As to the dates. the permitted to stay is stamped 30 jan 2008, the "visa to be utilised by.." date is april 9th 2008 so by my math this means I should be out and back in to the kingdom by jan 9th at the latest to be able to get the 2nd 90 day stamp..

Thanks again guys.

No, the "visa to be utilized by.." date just means that you have to use the second "entry" by that time. You can come in on April 8th, and stay for 90 days. You do not have to be back out by that date, just have to have entered the country by that date.

So you can stay until Jan 30, then make your border run, come back in on Jan 30, and stay for 90 more days, because the date your visa has to be used by is after Jan 30.

Jim

Thanks again guys.

No, the "visa to be utilized by.." date just means that you have to use the second "entry" by that time. You can come in on April 8th, and stay for 90 days. You do not have to be back out by that date, just have to have entered the country by that date.

So you can stay until Jan 30, then make your border run, come back in on Jan 30, and stay for 90 more days, because the date your visa has to be used by is after Jan 30.

Jim

now I am completely confused.

If my visa is "to be utilised by april 9th" I can come into thailand on the 8th and stay a further 90 days?

Visa was issued on 9th october 07 and stamped "must be utilised by 9th april 08" I took that to mean I must be out of the country by the april 9th... this is not the case?

Pete

If my visa is "to be utilised by april 9th" I can come into thailand on the 8th and stay a further 90 days?

Pete

YES!

The date "to be utilised by..." only applies to your date of entry! If you enter on the 8th of April you will get an other 'permit to stay stamp' for 90 days.

opalhort

now I am completely confused.

Visa was issued on 9th october 07 and stamped "must be utilised by 9th april 08" I took that to mean I must be out of the country by the april 9th... this is not the case?

Pete

Pete, just make sure, and I am now counting the days and do assume that you return the same day, that your 1st border run to a neighbouring country

will be done on 1/29/2008 latest. If so, you will be stamped-in into Thailand with a new Stamp to Stay date reading 4/28/2008.

But, since you received a double entry visa which according you has to be utilized by 4/9/2008, make also certain that you do your second border run on 4/8/2008 latest and that will then provide you with another 90 days from that date onwards.

But, since you received a double entry visa which according you has to be utilized by 4/9/2008, make also certain that you do your second border run on 4/8/2008 latest and that will then provide you with another 90 days from that date onwards.

IMHO this info is not correct. On a double entry visa of any type only ONE border run is possible!

One border run counts as the second entry and the visa will be stamped "USED".

First entry + one border run!

You will have to exit Thailand by 29.01.08 and then you have the option to come back in on the same or next day and obtain a new 90 day permit to stay stamp, or you can postpone your return to Thailand until 08.Apr.08 which is the last day to be able to enter Thailand under your current visa and obtain a new 90 permit to stay stamp. NO third 90 day stamp is possible with your current visa.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

IMHO this info is not correct. On a double entry visa of any type only ONE border run is possible!

One border run counts as the second entry and the visa will be stamped "USED".

First entry + one border run!

You will have to exit Thailand by 29.01.08 and then you have the option to come back in on the same or next day and obtain a new 90 day permit to stay stamp, or you can postpone your return to Thailand until 08.Apr.08 which is the last day to be able to enter Thailand under your current visa and obtain a new 90 permit to stay stamp. NO third 90 day stamp is possible with your current visa.

opalhort

Thank you opalhort, your are absolutely correct and I do apologize form my blunder.

I got lost in my former Triple Non-O-Visa that I received for the same time span, but in this case the OP has to work with a double entry visa.

Therefore the OP should concentrate on that single border run to be done by 29.01.08 latest and, either return the same day or at least by 08.04.08,

and he will be given a Stamp to Stay counting 90 days onwards from his Entry Date.