Thai For Beginners By Benjawan Poomsan Becker

game4shame

I recently ordered above named package from amazon.co.uk. I received 2 CD's and nothing else.

parts of the CD seem to refer to a textbook (voice says 'page number X'...etc) but no textbook came with the package.

I e-mailed amazon.co.uk who replied saying they would send me a replacement package. the replacement came yesterday, but again no textbook.

has anyone done the course? should a textbook accompany the CD?

cheers

game

:o

You can order the cd's separately, for those people who previously bought the book without the accompanying audio. I know as I've previously done this in the past.

I'm surprised though that it didn't say cd's only somewhere on the site.

Here is what the Amazon page says, in part:

"Thai for Beginners CDs by Benjawan Poomsan Becker (Audio CD - Dec 1, 2003) - AudiobookBuy new: $20.00 10 Used & new from $12.00"

The key is what game4shame said. His title includes the word "Audiobook". To me this clearly means "a book in audio form" which does not include any physical texts.

The entry for the book is:

"Thai for Beginners (Paperback)

by Benjawan Poomsan Becker (Author) List Price:$12.95 "

Here is Amazon's description of the Audiobook:

"Product Description

This set contains two CDs which follow the book "Thai for Beginners". It can help you to rapidly improve your speaking and listening skills in Thai. They are approximately two and a half hours long in total. There are 19 tracks for each CD including a Guide to Pronunciation, Vocabulary, Conversations and Sentences for Lessons One through Ten, Consonants, Vowels, Tones and Other Punctuation Marks. The CD set has the same content as the Thai for Beginners tape set. It is digitally recorded and very convenient to use. If you already have the tapes, you may not need to buy the CDs unless you want to have a different format of this audio program."

While Amazon does tell the potential purchaser that one is the book and the other is a set of CDs, it seems to me that "truth in advertising" or "customer focus" would have guided Amazon to be more explicit about what the customer is getting. Shame on Amazon.

Edited by DavidHouston

Here is what the Amazon page says, in part:

"Thai for Beginners CDs by Benjawan Poomsan Becker (Audio CD - Dec 1, 2003) - AudiobookBuy new: $20.00 10 Used & new from $12.00"

The key is what game4shame said. His title includes the word "Audiobook". To me this clearly means "a book in audio form" which does not include any physical texts.

The entry for the book is:

"Thai for Beginners (Paperback)

by Benjawan Poomsan Becker (Author) List Price:$12.95 "

Here is Amazon's description of the Audiobook:

"Product Description

This set contains two CDs which follow the book "Thai for Beginners". It can help you to rapidly improve your speaking and listening skills in Thai. They are approximately two and a half hours long in total. There are 19 tracks for each CD including a Guide to Pronunciation, Vocabulary, Conversations and Sentences for Lessons One through Ten, Consonants, Vowels, Tones and Other Punctuation Marks. The CD set has the same content as the Thai for Beginners tape set. It is digitally recorded and very convenient to use. If you already have the tapes, you may not need to buy the CDs unless you want to have a different format of this audio program."

While Amazon does tell the potential purchaser that one is the book and the other is a set of CDs, it seems to me that "truth in advertising" or "customer focus" would have guided Amazon to be more explicit about what the customer is getting. Shame on Amazon.

I bought this set, and fell into exactly the same error. Basically you need both the CDs and the book as they are complimentary. It seems idiotic that Amazon should sell them separately, and you'd think it was better marketing to sell them together. You need both. I've gotten about one third of the way through the beginner's course so far (doing and hour a day - without a teacher) which has taken me about 6 weeks so far. I'd say the course is pretty good and builds up the skills slowly and constructively, but it's going to take quite some time to get to a level where you I can get to the point of being able to have a basic conversation with any level of confidence.

I recently ordered above named package from amazon.co.uk. I received 2 CD's and nothing else.

parts of the CD seem to refer to a textbook (voice says 'page number X'...etc) but no textbook came with the package.

I e-mailed amazon.co.uk who replied saying they would send me a replacement package. the replacement came yesterday, but again no textbook.

has anyone done the course? should a textbook accompany the CD?

cheers

game

:D

I have used this series of books. Although I also studied at an intensive language school, I thought that this series was great. In addition to the beginner, intermediate and advanced books, they also have 3 books on slang, idioms and proverbs, which have a wealth of thai phrases which are difficult to learn elsewhere. Have fun studying! :o

correct - it's misleading IMO.

now, I'll have to return the replacement CD's and order the textbook. :o:D:D