Red Plates

sgunn65

Can anyone tell me where I can get a definitive answer on the Red plate legalities?

I have heard so many different views on driving with red plates. I have been told you can't drive after 5pm and you can't leave your province.

I am picking up my new car next week and want to do quite a bit of travelling around the country on business.

Is there a site which gives the law. Even my Thai wife doesn't know.

Yeah, quite an uneasy feeling for me too, to drive around in the red license plate. I got stopped once while driving at night, but a short explanation that I have insurance (no 100 THB bill exchanged) convinced the Police to let me go.

Perhaps you convince your dealer to speed up the registration for your new car. Should be possible to have it done in one day.

Depends if you have a 'real' red plate with the brown book that goes with it - it was a 3500 B deposit from Toyota Pattaya, the book & plate were about 19 years old - you can tell as every 'new' car that has had the temp red plate (the same plate) is noted in the book. Also you will see on a 'real' red plate there is an embosed stamp on the plate.

If you don't want to put down 3500B deposit you will get a 'copy' plate that will give the BIB every chance to ream your wallet!

I was stopped in Bangkok a couple of times and all the BIB did was check the stamp on the plate and wave me on.......... not a baht spent!

Sunday 11th November, I was stopped in Cha Am by the BIB and was asked for the "red-plate-book" (see HssL's post, which is true). I have a Phetchaburi car but my car has red Bangkok plates (no book). I told the BIB that I and the car were from Phetchaburi. He looked me in the eyes and waved me on.

Petch01

Sunday 11th November, I was stopped in Cha Am by the BIB and was asked for the "red-plate-book" (see HssL's post, which is true). I have a Phetchaburi car but my car has red Bangkok plates (no book). I told the BIB that I and the car were from Phetchaburi. He looked me in the eyes and waved me on.

Petch01

Petch you've had your new motor quite a few weeks now. How long is it gonna take before you get your white ones?

Just under 2 years ago I was stopped for driving on red plates. But because I never had the accompanying book that goes withg the red plates I was fined. Genuinely, as I was given a receipt for the fine. Dealers, for some reason, do not like to give you the accompanying book. Insist on having it.

If your still unsure about the legalities of driving on red plates, a simple trip to the police station should clarify things.

Well I have picked up my new 2.4 CRV with red plates. Got the brown book with matching numbers. The sales girl said that we could not drive it between 6pm and 6am. Then she said we should definitely get home before midnight!!!!

Until my instruction book comes in the English version could someone tell me "what turning into a pumpkin" is in Thai as it looks like I might need to know!!!

Just taken it for a 200Km spin and its lovely!!! Very smooth and responsive.

Got stopped twice today in my White Fortuna on a run in to BKK from Tak.

I don't know if it was my red plate or it could be because it looks, as a friend calls it, my pimp mobile.

But after a quick bout of questioning, to which I answered Krungthep to all, I was waved on my way.

Taken yesterday @ Sunflower Hill near Khun Yuam

post-51638-1195647012_thumb.jpg

But after a quick bout of questioning, to which I answered Krungthep to all, I was waved on my way.

Many Or-Bor-Tho's and other PAO-officials in rural Thailand drive a white Fortuner with black Lamina screens. The BIB's stopped you only to salute you but when you opened your window and they saw your face, they waved you on.

Petch01

Many Or-Bor-Tho's and other PAO-officials

Forgive my ignorance - but who they?? :o

Now you come to metion it -I did get a crisp salute on the second stop

before I lowered the window!

Never mind.

In a nut shell. It's about public management. A province is divided in districts (amphurs) and districts are divided in tambons. The head of the government officials who are taking care of a tambon is called an Or-Bor-To. The head of the Or-Bor-Tos is called an Or-Bor-Jo, responsible for the district. This goes further to the level of province. PAO = Provincial Administrative Organization.

Hoped this helped.

Petch01

In a nut shell. It's about public management. A province is divided in districts (amphurs) and districts are divided in tambons. The head of the government officials who are taking care of a tambon is called an Or-Bor-To. The head of the Or-Bor-Tos is called an Or-Bor-Jo, responsible for the district. This goes further to the level of province. PAO = Provincial Administrative Organization.

Hoped this helped.

Petch01

Thanks for the Thai civics lesson - much needed I'm afraid.

Picked up my first traffic ticket yesterday.

The "pimp mobile" appears to be a BIB rather than babe magnet! :o

Oh and my dealer promises white plates at the end of next week

- 2 weeks after delivery.

Better than Triumph - still nothing after 7 months and contrary promises.

Edited by Rhodiebkk

I dont' will repeat myself, but NOBODY will have ANY problem driving with a red plate during day or night!

Didier

Thats certainly been my experience in the 2 months I have had my car.

I have been stopped at Police check points at least 5 times during the day or night and not a word....I have a brown book, but we dont bother filling it in now.

Not one sticker on the windscreen either :o

I drove it up from BK (where I brought it) to CM and regualrly use it in CM at night...no worries :D

Oh and my dealer promises white plates at the end of next week

- 2 weeks after delivery.

Better than Triumph - still nothing after 7 months and contrary promises.

You should've bought a DUCATI....Got my white plates three weeks after delivery.... :o

You should've bought a DUCATI....Got my white plates three weeks after delivery.... :o

Don't rub it in.

Had the Duke dealer call today about the Hypermotard.

Told him to call back when they've completed homologation.Told him: been there, done that!

He laughed and said he would call back next month.

I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Rhodiebkk

been stopped numerous times for red plates both in Prachin Buri province and BKK. Usual excuse from the BIB....."no can drive night time" is very popular. One instance the BIB had both sides of the highway stopped. Got through one side ok, did a u-turn 100 metres up the road and had to run the gauntlet again. Not so successful the second time and the BIB who let me go the irst time was only 3 metres away the second time around, recognised me but didn't say anything.

Had one BIB stop me around lunchtime as I entered the tollway from Sukhumvit soi 0 heading upcountry with some office furniture in the tray. He sprinted/vaulted onto his motorcycle to get to me before I disappeared up the ramp..."Have red plate...no can drive tollway with cargo in back. Pay fine now or write ticket, go police station far away to pay fine."

"No problem, write ticket" I say as I was certain this was extortion.

"Take too long to write ticket and very hot here. You go now."

Well after a few days driving the new motor I have driven in Bkk at night and in Kanchanaburi at night where I was waiting to pull out next to three cops and nothing has happened. So maybe its just an excuse for tea money and its the luck of the draw.

Anyway thanks for the responses

• 1 month later...

Just a small update on the red plates/brown book issue.

Made a trip up to Khorat this week, and got stopped twice. First instance, the very pleasant english speaking highway policeman asked me for my licence and the brown book. Checked that the book matched the plates, asked me where i was going and some idle chat, no problems what so ever and waived me on.

Going back to Pattaya at around eight o`clock in the afternoon later in the week, i got stopped in Kabinburi at a similar checkpoint. Same thing,pleasant traffic police, asked for my licence but no words about the brown book this time.

After 6 years of driving here in Th, i have never had to fork out any money when stopped at checkpoints. Been had two times for speeding doing 160-170, but then i broke the law and happily accepted the fine.(300Bt)

I seems that the teamoney thingy is a Bkk area problem. Never heard of any friends that had to fork out in this or upper Th area either .