My Pathetic Experience With The British Embassy

To Scouse,

So lets find 100 British guys with unemployed Thai girlfriends take them to British Embassy to apply for tourist visas and see how many end up in the UK!!!

ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE

Vern

youre right vern, very few.IMHO.

Scouse is correct and many of you guys should take note. You can get unemployed thai girlfriends to the uk on non-imm tourist visa. i have helped out with many of my friends here in pattaya. I have also been in the same situation where my unemployed thai girlfriend for 4 years has been to the uk on three occasions, with only the first time needing an interview.

It is all about presentation and the evidence you provide and of course showing that she will return.

JASON read my previous comments and give a good reason for her to return (and that is WITH YOU as you live here with her) and she will get her visa.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Teacher you are correct in what you say. If you present your case neatly and properly you have a far better chance of obtaining a visa, but the average Brit that comes to Thailand has no idea about visa applications and many can not afford or choose not to use an agency. This is why so many visa applications are rejected and 95% of appeals are rejected too. You say you have helped many friends get visas for their girlfriends, I would like to know if they all returned! If a Thai has plenty of money/property/employment in Thailand etc etc they have a far better chance of getting visas because they are more likely to return but the British Embassy knows that if they issue too many visas to unemployed Thais most will not return.

There was a documentary made in the early 90's about the British Embassy in Bangkok and an employee of embassy admitted that they are only allowed to issue a certain number of visas each week!

So all you guys that got your girlfriend a visa you were just lucky, its a lottery!

If the Thai gets a visa and returns to Thailand on time then applies for another visa they will get it without an interview.

v_needham,

Just a friendly pointer - since you are new and you've only made 5 posts - however before you go starting arguements it is wise to understand who you are starting them with. If you look at Scouse's icon you'll it say Davies Khan, now scroll up to the top of the page and look who sponsors this forum.

Just so you know Davies Khan UK Immigration Advisers is his company . . . so lets just say he knows what he speaks - he has helped numerous people on here with issues and difficulties with visas.

Edited by technocracy

There was a documentary made in the early 90's about the British Embassy in Bangkok and an employee of embassy admitted that they are only allowed to issue a certain number of visas each week!

A documentary programme made nearly 20 years ago - you really are up to date, aren't you?

When my wife last visited an embassy for a travel visa application, it seems the technique used at the interview was to consider her as a bar girl or prostitute to begin with and then stripping that down by asking questions and looking at proof on hand. :o I remember her walking out of the room with a strange look on her face, she'd been insulted.

If the Thai gets a visa and returns to Thailand on time then applies for another visa they will get it without an interview.

Not true in my case, look back in this topic and you can read that we still had to appear for a 'so called' interview for a subsequent UK visa. But they issued a 2 year visa, when all we wanted was a tourist visa, so that saved going back to the embassy for a couple of years.

Yeah Vern, Scouse gets a lot of respect here and it really does you a dis-service to take the piss out of him.

Regards.

Ajarn Russ

I agree but we musn't be hypocritical ie the pot calling the kettle black. I have seen some of your postings and been on the receiving end of your unwarranted remarks when all I was doing was offering constructive and useful advice. Maybe you are trying to make a name for yourself in the shortest possible time but I would ask you to take a little of your own medicine first before administrating it to others

JAF

edited due to spelling mistake........

Edited by JustAnotherFarang

Dare I say that I am a scouser too.......... and no, Scouser and I hardly fit the negative stereotype that is often portrayed by the media for smaller minds to consume. The truth be known, scousers are the salt of the earth, friendly, jovial, witty and often amusing in the company of strangers....... but if you cross us and berate us unfairly you will find that we are formidable opponents

Not every scouser is a scally

JAF

I read the OP's statements as though he has allowed confusion to reign with visas here there and everywhere, something about going to Spain, his mother and a bank statement and his girl's lack of obvious intention to return. There appears to have been some lack of sensitivity on the part of the visa people but I get an overall sense of confusion and that does not bode well for such a process.

It is my understanding that a refusal comes with some documentation stating why the application has been refused. Simply, they are telling you where you have to address yourself in terms of a future application.

I've looked into the process somewhat and whilst I admit it is not totally straightforward, I would have thought someone who could reach out to an internet forum could manager to stumble through the application if perhaps at the second attempt.

To Scouse,

So lets find 100 British guys with unemployed Thai girlfriends take them to British Embassy to apply for tourist visas and see how many end up in the UK!!!

ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE

Vern

I applied and my GF now wife did not have a job, provided all paperwork as detailed by the embassy web page, no interview (6 month visa) now a two year visa.

Yes Teacher you are correct in what you say. If you present your case neatly and properly you have a far better chance of obtaining a visa, but the average Brit that comes to Thailand has no idea about visa applications and many can not afford or choose not to use an agency. This is why so many visa applications are rejected and 95% of appeals are rejected too. You say you have helped many friends get visas for their girlfriends, I would like to know if they all returned! If a Thai has plenty of money/property/employment in Thailand etc etc they have a far better chance of getting visas because they are more likely to return but the British Embassy knows that if they issue too many visas to unemployed Thais most will not return.

So all you guys that got your girlfriend a visa you were just lucky, its a lottery!

Thats what i was an average britand had no idea about visa applications, but i made it my business to find out and , to be honest with you i am on the internet every day checking to see if there are changes, anouncements, press releases being made by the embassies yes embassies meaning usa, aus, uk and for schengen visas. Most tourist visas are rejected because of what i have said reason to return, and in this perticular case (JASON and his girlfriend were are talking about) he HAS A REASON TO RETURN and having his girlfriend with him will give the embassy confidence she will return with him as previously stated in this topic.

The claim of 95% of appeals that get rejected is nonsence. Again if you look and search the internet you will find the embassy stats, and i can guarantee that 95% get resolved not rejected. Again if anyone is going to appeal they must appeal within the time period 28 days. Most tourist visa applied for by thai girlfriends do not have family in the uk so they can not appeal anyway.

Yes we must have been lucky to get our ladies over but these who did ensured they had the correct paper-work and evidence to go with it. No its not a lottery at all. Just look at it for 1 minute from the embassy point. If some problem arrose/happened to the girlfriend in the uk the first people they will go to is in this case the british embassy in bangkok. They will check the files and ensure the right proceedure investigations were made within the case. They would check with the evidence and back up was sumitted, they must cover there back sides.

Sorry to go on but!!!!!!!!

I will also mention that the embassy have introduced a new set of forms some are 21 pages to complete.There is also a form called the sponsors undertaking for INF 6 and that is going to put the onus on the sponsor to ensure the applicant returns, and to inform the embassy if she goes awol.

Such folk are generally unhampered by a knowledge of the subject.

:o You got that just about right.

T

he trouble is that so many British guys come over to Thailand and meet a girl but they have no idea about getting her a visa.

There are guidance notes to follow and other appropriate ways of seeking help with the forms.

best visa to apply for

The best visa, is the one that best fits your reason to apply, sounds a bit obvious I know, if it is for a Visit/holiday, then use the visit visa form, if it is for a Fiance/Wife visa and you want to settle in the UK, then use a Settlement visa, etc

My advice is either try for a fiancee visa or come over here again and marry the poor girl and apply for a wife visa.

No,No,No. First you are telling him, to go for an inappropriate visa and telling him that no unemployed girls get visa's, clearly wrong, now you are telling him to get married. Outrageous, shouldn't you go into Marriage guidance instead of inappropriate visa advice.

So if you have a superior knowledge of the visa subject

Well, I guess you may be a quick learner, if nothing else.

If you present your case neatly and properly you have a far better chance of obtaining a visa

Crikey O'Reilly, we agree on something. A reason to return is an important factor, but if you present it properly and the reasons within the application outweigh this the reason to return, the evidence of a sustainable ongoing relationship for instance, then this will be a factor in anybody's application

Who once said, ' The more you work at something and the more you practice, how things become just a little easier.'

Dear me, the poor advice goes on.

it really does you a dis-service to take the piss out of him.

Really, I thought it was the other way round.

IDIOT WHO SAYS I AM 'UP TO DATE'

Are you sure you are not blind, I was under the impression he was saying you were out of date

And if no one is taking heed of you, it serves no purpose to say the same thing even LOUDER, it is still nonsense whatever level you speak/shout at.

Good Luck

Moss

Well Scouse you still have not answered my question! So if you have a superior knowledge of the visa subject then please tell everyone what you think the percentage of single unemployed Thai ladies would get a UK tourist visa? Also, the ones that are lucky enough to obtain a tourist visa, how many will actually return to Thailand like they said they would?

He does, indeed, have superior knowledge and is always unfailingly helpful with it :o But how could he possibly give figures for the number of single unemployed Thai ladies getting a visa or those who return on time?

i've just been refused a visa for my wife,weve got a house in thailand ,plus all her family are their to,i've also got a son ,born in thailand with duel nationality,i appealed in uk and was still refused,this was for a family visit visa,they said she might not go back,frotty

Jason,

You have several viable options, whichever you choose, if any, is up to you.

Appeal to UK Visas using your own devices:

Appeal to UK Visas using an Agent:

Or judicial Review.

Unfortunately a visit visa if not for the reason to visit family (the applicant was his g/f) doesn't afford the right to appeal in the event of refusal.

Jason,

You have several viable options, whichever you choose, if any, is up to you.

Appeal to UK Visas using your own devices:

Appeal to UK Visas using an Agent:

Or judicial Review.

Unfortunately a visit visa if not for the reason to visit family (the applicant was his g/f) doesn't afford the right to appeal in the event of refusal.

Thanks again Mahout, in my mind I meant complain to UK Visas or use an Agent to compile the complaint.

No complaints here on that revision :o my only defence was being rushed, I am not sure of the other poor advice, I should no better, no matter how rushed :D

Moss

in my mind I meant complain to UK Visas or use an Agent to compile the complaint.

No complaints here on that revision :o my only defence was being rushed, I am not sure of the other poor advice, I should no better, no matter how rushed :D

Moss

Moss, never mind, a life spent making mistakes is not only better but more honourable than a life spent doing nothing :D

Sure he can complain about the treatment he received as it would appear that he presented evidence which was was not only not considered but mentioned as a reason for refusal.

Complain to UK Visas.

When you say there is nothing you can do, there is the above option, it wont cost you anything but time and a stamp, or have you thought of an immigration advisor, if you have, or do, ensure it is an OISC advisor and not just a Plaque on a wall fly by night.

Good Luck

Moss

Moss, never mind, a life spent making mistakes is not only better but more honourable than a life spent doing nothing :D

Sure he can complain about the treatment he received as it would appear that he presented evidence which was was not only not considered but mentioned as a reason for refusal.

As I stated in an earlier thread, the route was to complain not appeal, however in this case, I had already spent enough time trying to negate the poor, inappropriate advice being given, so in a rush, I rushed out an equally poor line, of which I have given myself a good kick.

And as that is the second time you have used the above quote regarding my very infrequent indiscretions :D I might just search out some of yours :D but then why would as you helped me out this time. :o

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

Contrary to the assertions of some of your correspondents, my experience is that an interview may be demanded even if all the papers are in order. Indeed before the interview, this is what I was informed by the Consul's wife (who acted as his secretary assistant) in Chiang Mai, who was very helpful.

My wife was called for interview, and we spent money on air tickets(from Chiang Mai) and hotel room in BKK.

At the Embassy, after a long wait I accompanied my wife to see the Embassy staff member, who was an Englishman. (This was 3 years ago, and predates the recent agency arrangements.

It was soon obvious that he had not bothered to read any of the documents that I had provided. After a few queries, the answers to which were all in our papers, he issued a visa. I was furious at the inefficiency and unnecessary cost to us, but let the matter rest.

Contrary to the assertions of some of your correspondents, my experience is that an interview may be demanded even if all the papers are in order. Indeed before the interview, this is what I was informed by the Consul's wife (who acted as his secretary assistant) in Chiang Mai, who was very helpful.

My wife was called for interview, and we spent money on air tickets(from Chiang Mai) and hotel room in BKK.

At the Embassy, after a long wait I accompanied my wife to see the Embassy staff member, who was an Englishman. (This was 3 years ago, and predates the recent agency arrangements.

It was soon obvious that he had not bothered to read any of the documents that I had provided. After a few queries, the answers to which were all in our papers, he issued a visa. I was furious at the inefficiency and unnecessary cost to us, but let the matter rest.

Doc, sorry to hear of your bad experience. But three years is a long time and there's been a complete overhaul of the system in that time, so your experience is no longer relevant - for example, you are not allowed to accompany your wife to the interview any more and most visas are issued without even the need for one.

Been away a few days. When i left this was an interesting thread. How did it degenerate into handbags at dawn?

Enuff Sed.

Absolutely. I see it has managed to get back on topic minus the bickering. Lets keep it that way

As I said before its a total lottery, your girlfriend was one of the lucky ones, but you probably filled out the application well and provided all the proper paperwork unlike most.

WITH A NAME LIKE 'OLLIE' SURELY THERE IS ONLY ONE PRICK IN THIS FORUM!

... rant rant rant...

If every Brit who is going to apply for a tourist visa for his girlfriend in the future does all the paperwork perfectly and fills the application form in properly will the embassy suddenly start saying 'yes' to all of them - I think not because they still can only grant so many visas per week.

So what are the answers?

This post is utter rot. There are no quota's there are no vendetta's. The staff have a job which is to make a judgement. Unfortunatly from time to time that judgement doesn't go the way we would want. Sadly for those who it doesn't go their way they are generally too blind to see the reasons why. And yes the staff make it hard but it is that way for a reason, rightly or wrongly. Also the person applying is the Thai, the Brit citizen (or Australian in my case) are not the ones doing the applying, so get your facts straight.

In the first post it would appear as if the staff suspected that the applicant was lying. None of us can say for sure if she was or wasn't, but that is clearly what the persona interviewing her felt. In that case automatic refusal of the visa application.

Now not all perfectly filled in visa's will get approved and I would be certain that none will be approved if they are not perfectly filled in. But if the applicatant (and remember it is them applying not us) has addressed the issues, and provided proff they can support themselves (albeit with the help of 'us' as their sponsor), have a reason to return and have not lied then the visa application should go through no problems at all.

As I said in the first para the staff have nothing against the applicants at all and there is certainly no government policy except to ensure those issued with tourist visa's will 'more than likley' comply with their visa conditions.

Oh my GF applied, provide honest answers, provided the proof and was granted a visa within the week without interview. No she was not lucky, she addressed the issues honestly and got the visa. Subsiquently she came to the UK, complied with her visa conditions and also with her orginal intentions. Next time it should be even easier.

Edited by CbrLad

i think your post is utter rot, seems just cos you got a visa you want to kiss their <deleted>, you come with no relevant points at all and obviously have no knowledge, just a guy who got a visa....yawn, try reading the full post properly

i think your post is utter rot, seems just cos you got a visa you want to kiss their <deleted>, you come with no relevant points at all and obviously have no knowledge, just a guy who got a visa....yawn, try reading the full post properly

Jason. I am with you . I cannot understand why you are having a problem and I cannot understand why people are having a dig at you.

I was quite confident about my wifes upcomming visa application, but now I am not so sure.