Bristish Style Indian And Chinese Restaurants In Pattaya

paul1970

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still cannot understand why anyone would want to eat British Chinese when there is so much genuine Chinese in this country, I have been to China and eaten in Shanghai and Beijing as well as some small villages it is the real thing not a British bad copy.

The same with Indian which in fact in UK is generally from Bangladesh the curry there and here is made from the natural spices not a Brit badly copied tin or jar.

Apart from that there are so many Thai variations of dishes from those two nations that are as good if not better

Yes, yes but you miss the point. In the US, there is 'Thai' cuisine and then there are the restaurants where local Thai chose to eat. Every country modifies ethnic recipes to better suit the local palette or when some ingredients are non-indigenous or not available. If you do any cooking yourself, you will know that half the fun is modifying something to make it easier or more to your taste.

I worked in China for over 8 years and reckoned the famous Chinese cuisine was a myth domestically; some of the (consistently) worse tasting food in my lifetime. However, in early 1986, an entrepreneurial Australian-Chinese and his wife opened an 'Aussie-style' Chinese restaurant in the basement complex of the 5-star Jiang Guo Hotel and for 6 months they were laughing all the way to the bank with all the expatriates keeping the tables full. The high-rent 'classic' Chinese restaurants that shared the basement complex just could not compete but eventually through pretty shameless tactics including messing with his utilities and getting the owners to hike his lease, they forced him out of business.

Edited by NanLaew

• 1 month later...

The wife got a taste for a good Indian when we were in England, and she wants to take her Issan relations (and me :D ) to have an Indian in Pattaya tomorrow.

My only previous experience in Pattaya was a place on Beach road, which wasn't much cop, and possibly the source of some upset tummies.

Reading through this thread, there are some negatives and a lot of positives for Ali Baba, and also a few positives and no negatives for Haj, opposite Excite. (and little or no support for Indian by Nature)

So which one is it to be? Any recent diners at either of these two places? :o

The wife got a taste for a good Indian when we were in England, and she wants to take her Issan relations (and me :D ) to have an Indian in Pattaya tomorrow.

My only previous experience in Pattaya was a place on Beach road, which wasn't much cop, and possibly the source of some upset tummies.

Reading through this thread, there are some negatives and a lot of positives for Ali Baba, and also a few positives and no negatives for Haj, opposite Excite. (and little or no support for Indian by Nature)

So which one is it to be? Any recent diners at either of these two places? :o

I would avoid the one opposite Excyte, haven't tried the other I'm afraid. The one opposite excyte was pretty inedible when I went there just before Christmas, we stopped to get some noodle soup on the way home as we were still hungry - couldn't eat what they served up in the restaurant.