Suitcase For A Friend - Not Allowed...

AsiaCheese

A buddy of mine from Switzerland came to visit Thailand and had little baggage, so he offered to take along a suitcase I hadn't been able to take myself (for baggage limit reasons). The luggage name tag had my name & address in Thailand... fatal!

At Zurich airport, the check-in person noticed that the name on the tag differed from the passenger name, and promptly refused to have it checked in - it's forbidden to take luggage that isn't your own! My buddy specifically asked whether it was a case of "not advisable" (for security reasons) or actually "forbidden". The answer was again: forbidden. He said that he understands the security implications and that he was aware of everything the suitcase contained (all legal in every sense) and that the suitcase wasn't locked and could easily be inspected [in case of panic] and that we go back a long way -- didn't help any, he had to rush to a taxi (extremely expensive in Switzerland...) to have the suitcase driven back to his home...

I've never heard about any "rules" saying that you can't take along someone else's luggage. I've done it x number of times in the past, and so have other people for me [slowly but surely "moving" my stuff from S'land to T'land]. And it's like everybody does it for everybody, without problems... I sent a complaint message in a "contact" page of swissport-zrh.ch, the check-in handlers there, with a request for clarification -- haven't had a response from them yet...

Anybody heard of similar problems? While I'm fully aware of security concerns etc. etc., it's completely ridiculous: had my buddy's name been on the name tag, the suitcase would have flown...

A buddy of mine from Switzerland came to visit Thailand and had little baggage, so he offered to take along a suitcase I hadn't been able to take myself (for baggage limit reasons). The luggage name tag had my name & address in Thailand... fatal!

At Zurich airport, the check-in person noticed that the name on the tag differed from the passenger name, and promptly refused to have it checked in - it's forbidden to take luggage that isn't your own! My buddy specifically asked whether it was a case of "not advisable" (for security reasons) or actually "forbidden". The answer was again: forbidden. He said that he understands the security implications and that he was aware of everything the suitcase contained (all legal in every sense) and that the suitcase wasn't locked and could easily be inspected [in case of panic] and that we go back a long way -- didn't help any, he had to rush to a taxi (extremely expensive in Switzerland...) to have the suitcase driven back to his home...

I've never heard about any "rules" saying that you can't take along someone else's luggage. I've done it x number of times in the past, and so have other people for me [slowly but surely "moving" my stuff from S'land to T'land]. And it's like everybody does it for everybody, without problems... I sent a complaint message in a "contact" page of swissport-zrh.ch, the check-in handlers there, with a request for clarification -- haven't had a response from them yet...

Anybody heard of similar problems? While I'm fully aware of security concerns etc. etc., it's completely ridiculous: had my buddy's name been on the name tag, the suitcase would have flown...

seems like a lack of a plan, they ask are you carrying anything for anyone else and did you pack the bags yourself, an easy no and yes couple of answers, but if you left his tags on you only have yourself to blame and they were correct to have kicked up,.ive carried loads of stuff for other people and never had a problem as i say its my own, and i packed it,.

When the check in agent noticed the name tag, had your buddy already answered negative to the question - had someone else asked him to carry anything aboard? If so, certainly under UK law he'd already committed a criminal offence. Some airlines do state that it is forbidden to carry items for someone else so, it may be worth checking with the airline. At the very least, had your friend acknowledged he was carrying someone elses items during the question process, the luggage would have to be opened and inspected thoroughly.

On another note, would you be happy boarding a flight knowing that a muslim had checked in a suitcase for a friend?

On our last trip to Thailand, one of my Wife's friends gave her a parcel for a relative - I insisted that this item was opened and re-packed in front of me before allowing my Wife to take it with us.

Yes it may be ridiculous that had his name been on the suitcase it would have been ok, but at least you know for future reference.

When the check in agent noticed the name tag, had your buddy already answered negative to the question - had someone else asked him to carry anything aboard? If so, certainly under UK law he'd already committed a criminal offence. Some airlines do state that it is forbidden to carry items for someone else so, it may be worth checking with the airline. At the very least, had your friend acknowledged he was carrying someone elses items during the question process, the luggage would have to be opened and inspected thoroughly.

On another note, would you be happy boarding a flight knowing that a muslim had checked in a suitcase for a friend?

On our last trip to Thailand, one of my Wife's friends gave her a parcel for a relative - I insisted that this item was opened and re-packed in front of me before allowing my Wife to take it with us.

Yes it may be ridiculous that had his name been on the suitcase it would have been ok, but at least you know for future reference.

Nope, no such question asked (never happened to me except when flying to the USA). When asked about the name on the name tag, my friend acknowledged at once that it wasn't his suitcase, but there was never a question of inspection (the suitcase wasn't locked), only an immediate "can't do". I personally haven't heard of an airline issuing such instructions (it was Thai Airways my friend flew with).

It's pretty much a moot point with an [-any religion here-] person checking in a suitcase for an [-any religion here-] friend -- as this here story goes, anyone can check in pretty much anything as long as the name tag is in compliance with the name on the ticket... And aren't suitcases routinely X-rayed and "sniffed" for substances behind the scenes anyway??

I fully agree with you on taking parcels for other people: I've done it before, and I've personally checked the contents (was a bit dubious about a plastic container with palah though :o ).

[\quote]

I would be no happier had they been Jewish, Hindu, Christian etc. Don't tar everyone with the same brush!

Simon

Edited by simon43

I know a Pakistani guy who used to turn up in Bangkok and be given a suitcase full of cheap clothes to smuggle back to Pakistan to be sold for profit.. I have a feeling there was something else in there that he wasn't told about...

I would be no happier had they been Jewish, Hindu, Christian etc. Don't tar everyone with the same brush!

Simon

So I guess that includes AsiaCheese? Think what you want pal, statistics and history don't lie.

What are the statistics and history then?

Simon

So I guess that includes AsiaCheese? Think what you want pal, statistics and history don't lie.

If you want a breakdown of statistics and history, I'll get get them for you, I'm at work at the moment, so I haven't got time. We all know which religion "owns" the individuals responsible for the vast majority of airline security incidents so, who's responsible for the current security situation - Hindus, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists? I don't think so.

If you want a breakdown of statistics and history, I'll get get them for you, I'm at work at the moment, so I haven't got time. We all know which religion "owns" the individuals responsible for the vast majority of airline security incidents so, who's responsible for the current security situation - Hindus, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists? I don't think so.

Yes please, but please exclude those incidents where an innocent person was excluded from a flight because someone took exception to their dark skin/beard.

Sorry to hear about the OP's problem but I think he realises that he and his friend "worked" tohgether to cause this problem and he's just telling other people not to make the same dumb ass mistakes he made and get a mate with a bit more on the ball thinking to bring your bag over.

[\quote]

Simon

[\quote]

Agreed Simon. A well written post :o

I think most experienced travelers would have been to put their own name on the bag and claim it is their bag, which if you are taking it, really is your bag because you are taking full responsibility for it. And of course lie if asked did you pack it yourself. Maybe someone will learn a lesson and avoid the problem.

I think most experienced travelers would have been to put their own name on the bag and claim it is their bag, which if you are taking it, really is your bag because you are taking full responsibility for it. And of course lie if asked did you pack it yourself. Maybe someone will learn a lesson and avoid the problem.

Amen to that :o