Gprs In-car Use In Thailand

Dave the Dude

Looking at the pricing it is cheaper to buy the garmin overseas and then install the thai maps. Any problem with doing that?

It depends on which unit you have. I have a 2610 Street Pilot and the Thailand map from Garmin won't work on it. If your unit is listed on the Garmin site, I'd say that, yes, it's cheaper to buy from Garmin regardless where you get the GPS itself. My 2610 sells for 35,900 baht from Gadget Trend in Bangkok. Since they lowered the new V 8 map price to 7,000 baht it is much cheaper to buy the GPS in the US. You can buy the 2610 for maybe 8,000 baht off eBay. That makes the 8,000 baht for the unit and the 7,000 baht for the map less than half price.

I received my CF memory card from Gadget Trend today. I must say that I am impressed. I had a number of glitches with the Rotweiler map and am happy to say that they do not exist on the ESRI map. I put the memory card in my 2610 and that was it. No copying or fooling around.

I have the 2008 update and how much different it is from the 2007 version, I couldn't say. I have one free upgrade coming and updates after that are 1,500 baht. I don't think the Garmin supplied map can be updated. I'm very satisfied with Gadget Trend and 7,000 baht for the complete map is certainly better than the 12,000 they charged before.

• 11 months later...

Are maps able to be installed on more than 1 GPS device?

I am looking to buy a Garmin 250 when I am in Oz early next year.

I have a friend locally who has a (genuine) CD with the ESRI Speednavi maps of Thailand, which he has installed onto his own MIO GPS.

Will I be able to load the maps from his CD to an SD card, and install on my Garmin?

Apologies for butting in :o

You guys apear to be well clued up on car sat nav. Can you advise???

Rig personnel were given a safety award, this being a NAVMAN in-car sat-nav. Choice was UK/Europe or Australian version. Even though I live in Thailand took the UK one thinking I would get Thai software. Seems I cannot. Have I taken a dud and should give it to someone who lives in the UK?

Any advise welcomed.

Thanks

I have a friend locally who has a (genuine) CD with the ESRI Speednavi maps of Thailand, which he has installed onto his own MIO GPS.

Will I be able to load the maps from his CD to an SD card, and install on my Garmin?

ESRI has taken pains to lock their map to the unit the map was purchased for. Even if you buy a newer GPS they probably will not transfer the map you bought to the new unit. It is also irritating to me that the map cannot be used on your home PC.

ESRI GPS map competitors are gaining ground quickly. Nokia and Google maps are available and supposedly pretty good. I have seen the Nokia phone (N95) GPS and quite frankly I wasn't impressed.

As it is right now, I would recommend a Garmin unit. Some people report that the Mio also works well. I have not seen that unit. I wasted a lot of time trying different maps and they either were not very detailed or they had a lot of glitches. ESRI updates their map every year. The map costs 7.000 baht but the first update is free and updats after that are about 1,200 baht. I received my free ESRI update which is version 8.1.

The prices have come down considerably and the service from Gadget Trend is very good. Here is the link;

http://www.gadgetrend.com/

ESRI has taken pains to lock their map to the unit the map was purchased for. Even if you buy a newer GPS they probably will not transfer the map you bought to the new unit. It is also irritating to me that the map cannot be used on your home PC.

ESRI GPS map competitors are gaining ground quickly. Nokia and Google maps are available and supposedly pretty good. I have seen the Nokia phone (N95) GPS and quite frankly I wasn't impressed.

As it is right now, I would recommend a Garmin unit. Some people report that the Mio also works well. I have not seen that unit. I wasted a lot of time trying different maps and they either were not very detailed or they had a lot of glitches. ESRI updates their map every year. The map costs 7.000 baht but the first update is free and updats after that are about 1,200 baht. I received my free ESRI update which is version 8.1.

The prices have come down considerably and the service from Gadget Trend is very good. Here is the link;

http://www.gadgetrend.com/

Thanks Gary - that is what I was afraid of.

Cheers

DO NOT BUY 8.1 !! or update ... this map totally sucks !!

the map is very good in matters of POI and updates ... BUT routing informations missing alot.

i have downgraded back to 8.0 because 8.1 is not really usefull at all ..

as example .. driving on the motorway (7) to south pattaya ..

the suggested way is to continue on the motorway, then change to 36 then 3 until jomtien.

but the informations that you have to change 2 times .. major highways is just not there ... (the route is printed correcty ... but if you not very careful look at the screen .. you may miss the exit .. as the device wont tell it !

many suprises like this.

im very suprised that garmin let ESRI Thailand allow to release such bad mapdata.

Edited by altf4

I will be buying a GPS unit in a month when I pick up my new car. A friend has offered getting me a MIO unit at trade price. Its about the same price as the budget Garmin but has all the functions of a top end unit. EG wide screen/MP3Photo album/Bluetooth and many more. I saw them for sale at Pantip plaza and they looked good, but a GPRS is only as good as the mapping system inside !

I understand they are made in Taiwan & its a Belgium company who are 3rd biggest in Europe! I'm from London and never seen any in England, so was wondering has anyone out there got one and 'first hand' opinions good or bad would be appreciated

Thank you

Dave :o

now we have already 1 year a mio digi walker c520 and all i can say about it is: fantastic!!!!!

even the smallest sandpath is on.

it has a large widesreen 4.3" display, bleutooth, build in media player and tmc support

People considering maps can also just search for them..

They are all out there..

Try

Thailand (8.1 newest)

Laos

Vietnam

Cambodia

Singapore

Malaysia (peninsula and eastern)

Indo (not complete.. Java inc jakarta, sumatra, bali, borneo)

Brunei

Philippines

Hong Kong and Macao

All in one massive gmapsupp.img file.. Simply put it on the unit in USB datacard mode. almost 200MB tho

http://rs283.rapidshare.com/files/14570890...V7_sliders7.rar

DO NOT BUY 8.1 !! or update ... this map totally sucks !!

the map is very good in matters of POI and updates ... BUT routing informations missing alot.

i have downgraded back to 8.0 because 8.1 is not really usefull at all ..

as example .. driving on the motorway (7) to south pattaya ..

the suggested way is to continue on the motorway, then change to 36 then 3 until jomtien.

but the informations that you have to change 2 times .. major highways is just not there ... (the route is printed correcty ... but if you not very careful look at the screen .. you may miss the exit .. as the device wont tell it !

many suprises like this.

im very suprised that garmin let ESRI Thailand allow to release such bad mapdata.

Are you using shortest distance or fastest way? I am using V8.1 and have noticed no glitches at all. V8.0 doesn't have the newest Bangkok bridge (Kanchaphisek) so if you are driving in Bangkok that could mean going the long way around.