Taxi Ride From hel_l (new Airport) To Pattaya

Jingthing

Sorry if this has been covered before, but here goes.

Its been a year since I flew into Bangkok. Last year I arrived internationally, and at that time you had to know to go to a lower level to find the official taxi stand. When there, I was offered 1300 baht to Pattaya including tolls and it was seamless and painless.

Today I came in from Chiang Mai and I had heard that the taxi stand was now on the same level as arrivals, so I did locate an area labeled with signs as PUBLIC TAXIS. So far, so good.

So I tell the clerk I am going to Pattaya and she says 1500 baht. OK, I am just a tad surprised at the price increase and ask if that is the set price for Pattaya, and she says yes but is INCLUDES ALL TOLLS.

Well, OK, so I say OK and she gives me a coupon, totally different look and completely different than the old official looking coupons.

(Is the stand that offers these more legit looking coupons still located on a lower level, or is this new public taxi line the only way now? Also, would it have done me any good to keep this new crappy looking coupon for a later complaint because the driver just grabbed it from me, and I didn't think to ask for it back.)

Anyway, I had a very bad feeling about this and try to ask the next clerk to speak to the driver and make sure we agree on the fare and that he really knows exactly where I am going.

He ignores me and in a few seconds I am loaded in the car.

The driver is bad news from minute one. Cheap ladies, Pattaya, cheap ladies, you know the type. Then we arrive at the first toll and he dramatically demands that I pay up. I dramatically explain that I was told clearly that all tolls were included with the 1500 baht. At this early point in the trip, the vibe becomes poison. He says some very dirty nasty things in Thai and I can understand alot of it.

At this point, I know I have a lunatic at the wheel. He drives erractically and speeds. He keeps looking back at me directly and in the mirror constantly. I am imagining being taken off a remote exit to be murdered, he was that crazy acting.

I just try to appear calm even though I am pissed and really afraid of this man. Then, he starts offering me cigarettes. I don't smoke, so I tell him that and ask him to please not smoke. Then he offers me a used bottle of energy drink. How friendly. Could it be poison? No thanks either way. Later on more offers of cigarettes. We are now 3/4 of the way there and I figure he is probably not going to murder me, more likely in his brain damaged world he thinks he is buttering me up for a tip.

We make it home. He demands a tip. I say you have got to be kidding (this after he tossed my suitcase roughly on the pavement before demanding a tip).

Like I said, a taxi ride from hel_l. So, is there another stand that doesn't allow psycopathic drivers?

Edited by Jingthing

I followed the signs to the public taxis which took me out of the main building to a table with a woman with receipts and a long queue of taxis. Is that where you went? The price was 1400 baht which included everything. Nice driver too - even got out some glue and tried to fix my suitcase (which I broke ages ago).

Yes, that is probably the same line, public taxis. It is on the same level as the arrival area. The form they filled out looked totally different than what I have been getting for years at the old airport and also last year at the new one. when did you get 1400? Because it was 1500 today and was told that is the price, take it or leave it. Also, these new forms do not look official at all, compared to the old ones. I do realize it is luck of the draw with the specific driver.

I am just wondering is it different for domestic vs. international arrivals and is there another line on a lower level (as before) that uses the old official looking forms.

I wanted to book this trip with my usual taxi service from Pattaya but they told me they don't like to do airport pickups (I think there are legal and logistical problems for them).

My experience today made me realize again how much power these drivers can have over people, tired after long trips, carrying all their valuables.

I don't want to have this feeling again. Should I have demanded to keep the form? Would the form have info that I could use to complain about the driver?

Edited by Jingthing

This was last month at the international airport. I think you should be more assertive next time. Definitely you should insist on keeping the receipt or what's the point of it?

I don't know what being more assertive would have done. I was already more assertive than the vast majority of people even questioning the price or asking (loudly) that I be helped to communicate with the driver. I was ignored. And I needed a ride. What choice did I really have at that point? I could have backed off and taken a limo was the only option I had. You see, they have people in a scarcity/desperate need situation. It is not a balanced transaction. I think most people probably would have caved in to the crazy driver also, he was an old dude, I am sure it usually works. BTW, I am not at all convinced that there is anything on that new form that traces to the driver, do you know differently? I don't even call it a receipt. It was a very small form, a receipt implies there are two parts, but this form definitely was a one part form.

Edited by Jingthing

Also, would it have done me any good to keep this new crappy looking coupon for a later complaint because the driver just grabbed it from me, and I didn't think to ask for it back.

Anyway, I had a very bad feeling about this and try to ask the next clerk to speak to the driver and make sure we agree on the fare and that he really knows exactly where I am going.

He ignores me and in a few seconds I am loaded in the car.

That's the stage where you should have been more assertive.

I think the coupon has a telephone number to make a complaint and there were other options like the Bells bus or the airport bus or going to the departure area and catching a taxi dropping someone off. I'm sure most people would have done what you did but you'll know better next time.

Edited by edwardandtubs

I can't understand why people hire a taxi from the airport to Pattaya when you can use the reliable Mr. T Taxi Service.

He uses new cars, has very polite drivers, (a couple of very pretty female drivers too) is waiting at the airport with your name written on a sign and only charges 1,000 baht, including tolls. You are driven directly to your destination and you are not asked for a tip.

Mr T email: [email protected]

Phone: 66-38-720 318

If going from Pattaya to the airport, his fees are 900 baht including tolls.

I can't understand why people hire a taxi from the airport to Pattaya when you can use the reliable Mr. T Taxi Service.

He uses new cars, has very polite drivers, (a couple of very pretty female drivers too) is waiting at the airport with your name written on a sign and only charges 1,000 baht, including tolls. You are driven directly to your destination and you are not asked for a tip.

This sounds good. :o Can you tell me where the office is please.

Thanks

Westerner

Yes, Mr-T is a good way to go. The cars and drivers have always been good.

He's located about half way down Soi Diana Inn on the left side (north) heading toward Soi Buakhao. You go down a narrow driveway.

post-34982-1195608527_thumb.jpg

Edited by tropo

My current service told me that airport pickups are a problem for them for some reason. Before, I had heard there were legal issues. Next time, I am going at least try to arrange a meeting. I do not want to experience anything like I did yesterday. Another odd thing about my experience. The drivers actually stand in line waiting for the next fare. My madman was up and I knew from the start I didn't like him. But they don't have any kind of face saving system for you to opt out of a particular scary guy.

Since nobody has responded, do you all agree this newer public taxi line with the new forms is the taxi system now, that there isn't another one using the old forms on a lower floor as before?

With this kind of Russian roulette taxi system, maybe Bangkok is becoming more like Manila ...

Edited by Jingthing

My current service told me that airport pickups are a problem for them for some reason. Before, I had heard there were legal issues. Next time, I am going at least try to arrange a meeting. I do not want to experience anything like I did yesterday. Another odd thing about my experience. The drivers actually stand in line waiting for the next fare. My madman was up and I knew from the start I didn't like him. But they don't have any kind of face saving system for you to opt out of a particular scary guy.

Since nobody has responded, do you all agree this newer public taxi line with the new forms is the taxi system now, that there isn't another one using the old forms on a lower floor as before?

With this kind of Russian roulette taxi system, maybe Bangkok is becoming more like Manila ...

You get what you pay for I reckon. There's public taxis and then there's public taxis, just like you see some nice clean baht buses and others are a piece of sh*t. I know it's a lot more expensive but I use the AOT limo for my inward trips and in 3 years (and about 20 trips) I have only had 1 bad driver. He wasn't a lunatic but his dip-dipping the accelerator made my wife car-sick and that never happens. When we signed off at the front gate at 10 pm, he was holding the paperwork at arms length and squinting like someone who needs glasses but refuses to wear them. Probably the reason why he was so 'nervous' with the accelerator (couldn't see sh*t).

I will take the recommendation on Mr T's service for the outbound hop though as my current taxi of choice has started to drop the ball.

Welcome back Jing!

Thanks for the recommendation, Mr T's number is now in my phone.

I'm one month away from returning, should I annoy him with an email yet, or just call up a few days prior do you reckon?

Does anyone know the latest guesstimate for the completion of the road-works en route? Most painful experience of my last trip was the 2+ hour trip to Pattaya :o

I think paying 1500 baht is payment enough to avoid taxi terrorism.

no, 1.500 is too much.

1.000 baht is reasonable. from pattaa to airport you just have to pay 800 baht. i always ask my friends to arrange a taxi from pattaya to collect me and i pay 1.000 baht.

I actually wouldn't mind paying 1500 from the airport if the ride was pleasant mainly because I don't travel that often anymore. Its not that big a difference; if someone charges 1000 and they give a good service I will tip anyway. But to overpay and be terrorized, something is wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

I have a few questions about taxi's

1) Why is it much cheaper from Pattaya to BKK than BKK to Pattaya?

2) Why do so many drivers do that throttle thing?

3) Why is there no high speed rail link to Pattaya?

4) Is Mr T Mr Toom?

5) If he is why did he change his name?

6) Is the BTS eventually going to reach the airport one day?

4) Is Mr T Mr Toom?

I'll answer the first one.

There are lots of Bangkok Taxi Meters willing to go back to BKK for 500 baht to cover their return costs. They're very happy to get some money to return otherwise they'd be going home empty. The final price is usually 800 - 850 because the local transport services add a 300 baht commission to arrange their return fares.

Local transport services have to compete with this, therefore they can't easily get more.

Edited by tropo

Thanks for the recommendation, Mr T's number is now in my phone.

I'm one month away from returning, should I annoy him with an email yet, or just call up a few days prior do you reckon?

Does anyone know the latest guesstimate for the completion of the road-works en route? Most painful experience of my last trip was the 2+ hour trip to Pattaya :o

I'd leave it till a few days before you return. Once they have your name and flight details it's as good as done. A mobile number comes in handy too so they can call you at the airport to verify your return.

Last time I returned I was a bit slow coming through because I did some duty free shopping and the driver called me to check if I was coming.

Edited by tropo

A few days notice is all he requires. They have cars going to the airport every day so arranging to pick you up is not a problem. You only need to advise airline, flight arrival time, if any other passengers will be going with you to Pattaya and how much luggage. This determines the size of car to allocate for you.

A few days notice is all he requires. They have cars going to the airport every day so arranging to pick you up is not a problem. You only need to advise airline, flight arrival time, if any other passengers will be going with you to Pattaya and how much luggage. This determines the size of car to allocate for you.

If your luggage will not fit into an average size sedan (with all your passengers) they will have to send you a minivan which will cost 500 more, so unless you really need extra luggage space, don't mention it.

4) Is Mr T Mr Toom?

I'll answer the first one.

There are lots of Bangkok Taxi Meters willing to go back to BKK for 500 baht to cover their return costs. They're very happy to get some money to return otherwise they'd be going home empty. The final price is usually 800 - 850 because the local transport services add a 300 baht commission to arrange their return fares.

Local transport services have to compete with this, therefore they can't easily get more.

4) Is Mr T Mr Toom?

4) & 5) It doesn't appear to be unless he's changed his 'phone number also.

6) Yes

Thanks for the answers, anyone know the answers to 2 and 3?

Does anyone know the latest guess-timate for the completion of the road-works en route?

Thanks fella's appreciate your answers, I'll call him a few days beforehand.

Just to add, that of the dozens of drivers I've had take me to Pattaya, only one of them was a dead-set <deleted> loon who seemed hellbent on NOT being overtaken, even if it meant winding the old Peugeot off the clock and then some.

All the other drivers have been compulsive ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON ad infinitum with the accelerator. It truly is good sign of a poor driver.

... still, better that than a lead footed, Nelson Piquet wannabe in my opinion.

PS After my wild ride, I started buying the drivers a bottle of cold green tea instead of red bull. :o

Thanks fella's appreciate your answers, I'll call him a few days beforehand.

Just to add, that of the dozens of drivers I've had take me to Pattaya, only one of them was a dead-set <deleted> loon who seemed hellbent on NOT being overtaken, even if it meant winding the old Peugeot off the clock and then some.

All the other drivers have been compulsive ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON ad infinitum with the accelerator. It truly is good sign of a poor driver.

... still, better that than a lead footed, Nelson Piquet wannabe in my opinion.

PS After my wild ride, I started buying the drivers a bottle of cold green tea instead of red bull. :o

I can't say this with certainty but it appears that Mr-T's cars are all privately owned and driven by their owners so they tend to driver more carefully.

If they have nice cars, they are more likely to want to take care of them: Limo Pattaya 1200 baht inclusive

Their website is inconclusive re- Pattaya to Suvarnabhumi. Talks up Suvarnabhumi airport pickup but doesn't specifically state Pattaya pickup for a trip in the opposite direction is available. But does if you are leaving from U-tapao?